Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 02, 2024, 08:04:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedians who are secret millionaires from ads/corporate

Started by Average Comedy Enjoyer, July 28, 2023, 09:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 30, 2023, 09:00:57 PMRemember the John Smith's ad where Kay orders 2 lamb bhunas at an Indian restaurant? He fucking HATES lamb bhunas in real life. He usually gets omelette and chips from the English section on the back of the menu.

He also fantasises about having the opportunity for a thing with "Claire from work", when in real life he could snap his fingers and have Claire's head brought round in a carrier bag, true story.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Wacky Homemade Badges on July 31, 2023, 04:29:37 PMHe also fantasises about having the opportunity for a thing with "Claire from work", when in real life he could snap his fingers and have Claire's head brought round in a carrier bag, true story.

If he were that powerful then it'd be even harder to see a Daniel Kitson gig than it already is.

Horne isn't the richest on that list nor the most pious so no reason why he wouldn't take the money to allow himself to do his passion projects or just to take more time off to see his kids?

That's probably how I'd rationalise it anyway.

Thosworth

Quote from: Ignatius_S on July 31, 2023, 10:29:46 AMWith animated films, there has been a move (starting about 30 decades ago, arguably) to automatically think of big name actors when casting.

Bloody Isaac Newton and Blackbeard The Pirate landing all the plum voice-over jobs.

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 31, 2023, 12:10:27 PMGeorge Clooney has apparently made $40 million from those terrible ads for the terrible, environmentally destructive Nespresso machine.

Somewhat randomly, he spent most of his Nespresso fees setting up a satellite that records, and prewarns citizens of the movements and war crimes of the Sudanese army.

Quote from: PaoloTramezzani on July 31, 2023, 04:35:15 PMHorne isn't the richest on that list nor the most pious so no reason why he wouldn't take the money to allow himself to do his passion projects or just to take more time off to see his kids?

I wouldn't be surprised if he was (the richest).

He can do whatever he wants, but it's makes no sense to suggest that he doesn't have enough money and needs to travel around the country doing corporates to allow him more time to see his kids.

Des Wigwam

Just remembered I saw that James Buckley said he's become a millionaire off the back of that thing where you get a celeb to record a message. Accordingly he's made a fortune calling Gary a Bus Wanker on behalf of Daz. Am sure he's said he's recorded about 10k messages - not sure of the logistics of that if so - sounds exhausting. He does seem like a nice bloke though.

oggyraiding

Quote from: Des Wigwam on July 31, 2023, 07:11:47 PMJust remembered I saw that James Buckley said he's become a millionaire off the back of that thing where you get a celeb to record a message. Accordingly he's made a fortune calling Gary a Bus Wanker on behalf of Daz. Am sure he's said he's recorded about 10k messages - not sure of the logistics of that if so - sounds exhausting. He does seem like a nice bloke though.

https://www.cameo.com/neilfitzmaurice

Hope Neil's making mad bank from his Cameos. Feel bad for him, he's a good writer and actor, these Cameos are lowering himself.

George White

Quote from: Ignatius_S on July 30, 2023, 05:52:00 PMSomething worth remembering is that when big-name/established actors and comedians started doing adverts and voiceovers, it hit 'normal' actors hard.

As mentioned, it used to be the done thing for American celebs doing Japanese adverts (Jeffrey Archer also did one for whiskey there, fact fans). It was considered bad form to do adverts, but doing adverts there were lucrative and very little chance of people back home finding out.

This left the advert field (voiceovers and appearances) to regular actors that actually needed the money. In more than a few cases, the income from this helped people to stay in the profession.

Gradually, the stigma of big names doing adverts diminished and celebs only too happy to cash in. This naturally led to less work for unestablished actors  - that was followed by attempts to reduce the money they got.

What was proposed - and I believe this went through - is that actors would (or rather could) get more money upfront but receive a smaller rate of royalties. Strangely, it's big name performers that can demand a lot of money for ads; those who aren't, can go and whistle (unless that's what the advert actually involves). The reduced rate of royalties isn't so much of an issue if you get plenty of money upfront, but if you don't, it is - particularly, if it turns out to be a long-running campaign. Simon Schatzberger, IIRC, discussed this in newspaper coverage of the proposed changes. He starred in an advert for Yellow Pages (the French polishers one) that revived more than once - at the time of the coverage, he had made more from that advert from the rest of his acting career. Now, it was an advert that was shown an awful lot, but this is someone who had done a fair bit (e.g. Children's ITV and in the title role for the West End musical of The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole) - things would have been bleaker with the revised royalties.

The last acting job one of my friends did was a DFS - and to be honest, I don't think any celeb could have better conjured the appearance of 'this is one comfy sofa and you can tell from the look of me, I know a thing or two about lazing on sofas'.
There's a bit in that documentary Elstree 76 about Star Wars bitplayers, and they interview Angus McInnes, who was one of the X Wing pilots, but had  a long career as a Rentayank in British TV and film (as well as  a solid career in his native Canada - he's 'Rosie' LaRose, the Quebecois hockey idol in Strange Brew), where he says that, I think because of Equity loosening it up since the 90s, that no longer are that group of Rentayank actors always the first choice if you have a US guest role in a UK TV thing. They'll automatically try to get a US name first.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Des Wigwam on July 31, 2023, 07:11:47 PMJust remembered I saw that James Buckley said he's become a millionaire off the back of that thing where you get a celeb to record a message. Accordingly he's made a fortune calling Gary a Bus Wanker on behalf of Daz. Am sure he's said he's recorded about 10k messages - not sure of the logistics of that if so - sounds exhausting. He does seem like a nice bloke though.

Buckley has done incredibly well with voice messages and often cited in stories as being one of someone particularly popular with punters. Part of reason it's been said is that people are less interested in having messages from A-listers compared to performers that they have an affinity with. Another reason is that he puts effort into it.

This is an example story - https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/feb/27/the-inbetweeners-james-buckley-becomes-the-unlikely-king-of-cameo - 10,000 messages in one year with an estimated income for him of £300,000.

In discussions about VMs, there's inevitably snooty comments (which definitely has been happened in the past here) but I don't see the problem myself. During Covid, this was a much needed potential income stream for performers - and a lot actually seem to really like doing them. John Challis was one, certainly.

I know people who have received them and absolutely loved - I recently got one for a mate from Simon Day, which was brill (natch).

Ignatius_S

Quote from: George White on July 31, 2023, 09:53:47 PMThere's a bit in that documentary Elstree 76 about Star Wars bitplayers, and they interview Angus McInnes, who was one of the X Wing pilots, but had  a long career as a Rentayank in British TV and film (as well as  a solid career in his native Canada - he's 'Rosie' LaRose, the Quebecois hockey idol in Strange Brew), where he says that, I think because of Equity loosening it up since the 90s, that no longer are that group of Rentayank actors always the first choice if you have a US guest role in a UK TV thing. They'll automatically try to get a US name first.

That's interesting - in the case of adverts, from what I remember, the Equity changes occurred due to lobbying by big names that would be more likely to benefit from them.

Huxwell

@Small Man Big Horse That's fantastic that Robert Gillespie is your uncle. I love seeing him pop up in old shows I'm watching. He's in so many sitcoms and is always excellent. I have the 'Keep it in the Family' DVD in my "to watch" pile. I hope he is doing well.

Rob1969in

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 29, 2023, 01:11:42 PMThat's right, all he had to do was push the lawn mower around and not even say a word, and he still got a very decent pay day. Iirc I think they did a series of the adverts (as they feature his Keep It In The Family wife Pauline Yates) and he might speak in one of them, but if he does I don't know if it still exists.

And thank you for your kind words about him, I still see him regularly and have told him how some people still remember him fondly and he's always surprised but also grateful.
One of the best character actors from my childhood , particularly liked him as the copper in Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads , hope he's keeping well .

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Huxwell on August 04, 2023, 06:41:14 PM@Small Man Big Horse That's fantastic that Robert Gillespie is your uncle. I love seeing him pop up in old shows I'm watching. He's in so many sitcoms and is always excellent. I have the 'Keep it in the Family' DVD in my "to watch" pile. I hope he is doing well.

Gillespie has written two autobiographies - well, worth a read; some really good stuff, such as his experience on Rising Damp.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Rob1969in on August 04, 2023, 10:59:57 PMOne of the best character actors from my childhood , particularly liked him as the copper in Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads , hope he's keeping well .

He is, and thank you for your kind words.

Quote from: Ignatius_S on August 04, 2023, 11:04:31 PMGillespie has written two autobiographies - well, worth a read; some really good stuff, such as his experience on Rising Damp.

I'm glad you enjoyed them, they're very theatre heavy and I kind of wish there was a bit more about the sitcoms he was in, but I asked him about that earlier this year and apart from Keep It In The Family most of them were shot in a day or so and bar saying that the cast were very pleasant he didn't really remember much about them, bar a couple of exceptions like Rising Damp.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Average Comedy Enjoyer on July 31, 2023, 02:13:19 PMIn those days Phil Harris might have had star appeal despite mostly only being know as a VO guy these days.
Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on July 31, 2023, 03:00:14 PMMade so much money he changed his first name. Like and subscribe if you get that joke.

No likes, but I'm absolutely fine with that.

Huxwell

Quote from: Ignatius_S on August 04, 2023, 11:04:31 PMGillespie has written two autobiographies - well, worth a read; some really good stuff, such as his experience on Rising Damp.
Thanks for that. That is definitely something I'd be interested in. I don't mind if it is theatre heavy either.

Icehaven

I'm sure when David Baddiel was on either RHLSTP or Adam Buxton's podcast he moaned about a corporate gig he'd done where the first few minutes went so badly he gave up and said something like "You've just paid me ten grand for 5 minutes work" and walked off. Dunno if he said when this was, maybe it was back in the Mary Whitehouse Experience/N&B heyday but I still can't picture what business or company would think getting Baddiel in to entertain the troops at their pissup would be a good idea. He barely appeals to his own audience, never mind a room full of half cut office workers waiting for the disco to start.

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on August 05, 2023, 12:51:17 AMNo likes, but I'm absolutely fine with that.

Sorry, couldn't find like button. There were three Wongas in my year group. We called them Willy Wonga, WongaDotCom and WongaChukka

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Average Comedy Enjoyer on August 05, 2023, 09:13:45 AMSorry, couldn't find like button. There were three Wongas in my year group. We called them Willy Wonga, WongaDotCom and WongaChukka
I feel so broke up I wonga home.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Icehaven on August 05, 2023, 09:03:08 AMI'm sure when David Baddiel was on either RHLSTP or Adam Buxton's podcast he moaned about a corporate gig he'd done where the first few minutes went so badly he gave up and said something like "You've just paid me ten grand for 5 minutes work" and walked off. Dunno if he said when this was, maybe it was back in the Mary Whitehouse Experience/N&B heyday but I still can't picture what business or company would think getting Baddiel in to entertain the troops at their pissup would be a good idea. He barely appeals to his own audience, never mind a room full of half cut office workers waiting for the disco to start.
Was it Specsavers?

Icehaven

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on August 05, 2023, 10:53:58 AMWas it Specsavers?

I can't remember. Or is there some connection between him and Specsavers that I've missed? I'm pleased to say I've missed pretty much everything he's done since about 1994.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: PaoloTramezzani on July 31, 2023, 04:35:15 PMHorne isn't the richest on that list nor the most pious so no reason why he wouldn't take the money to allow himself to do his passion projects or just to take more time off to see his kids?

That's probably how I'd rationalise it anyway.
Loads of companies are going to want to do a Taskmaster-style thing, so I'm sure Alex Horne could make a lot of money off that with minimal effort (telling Judy from HR her art is shit). Plus he has a band to feed.

Kruger-Cowne describe Baddiel as "Successful Post-Alternative Comedian". I think they're missing a couple of posts there.

But it's weird how shit all these celebrity booking companies make people sound:
QuoteThe brash, almost shrill, Katherine Ryan may be from Canada, but owes her perky persona to West Coast America. She gossips animatedly, her bubbly banter dripping with 'Oh my god!'s and a deliberately exaggerated girlish laugh that accompanies every punchline.
If she doesn't laugh at every one of her own jokes, you get your money back.

George White

'There's nothing alternative about a man blacking up and putting a pineapple on his head and pretending to be a coloured fella. That's as traditional as you get, son."

DrGreggles

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on August 05, 2023, 12:33:13 PMLoads of companies are going to want to do a Taskmaster-style thing, so I'm sure Alex Horne could make a lot of money off that with minimal effort (telling Judy from HR her art is shit). Plus he has a band to feed.

Horne must be worth a bundle now with a show he created doing well everywhere (bar America*).
The band do pretty well too as successful touring performers and session musicians - I know one is in Take That's live band and another in Madness'. THS is their side gig.

*Wouldn't surprise me if they recast and had another stab at it

Cuellar

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on July 31, 2023, 02:57:25 PMYeah, sometimes company awards, sometimes a private exclusive gig as an office jolly. The best supposedly don't just do their act, but do some research into the company, its personalities and that day a paper jam broke the copier, so they can refer to them in their spiel and make everyone feel famous for the evening. The masters are Seann Walsh and that Dante Fires DJ.
This is just one of the many companies behind them https://www.gordonpoole.com/uk/comedians/ . Another one I looked at had Baddiel and Buxton in the same £10,000 - £15,000 price range. Bug versus Bills of Mortality?

Interesting going through that and filtering by each fee range in turn, seeing where people are in the hierarchy.

In the highest 'over £20k' bracket you've obviously got your Lennys Henry, Jimmys Carr etc., but also Chris Addison(!). That's above your Alexanders Armstrong, Joels Dommett (neither of whom I'm fans of, but they seem like bigger names than Chris Addison (sorry Chris Addison)).

lb99

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on August 05, 2023, 12:33:13 PMLoads of companies are going to want to do a Taskmaster-style thing, so I'm sure Alex Horne could make a lot of money off that with minimal effort (telling Judy from HR her art is shit). Plus he has a band to feed.

Yep I've heard him say he only does corporates for the band.

Joe Oakes

Sunil Patel.

I hadn't heard of him either, until I hate-googled who did the voice-over for the recent nauseating Cadbury's Brunch adverts.

Another one of those trying to follow the trend of sounding a bit Tim Keyish. I hope he's made millions off it because he has lost any future revenue from me, which might have afforded him a 12-pack of Brunch bars.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Icehaven on August 05, 2023, 11:22:09 AMI can't remember. Or is there some connection between him and Specsavers that I've missed? I'm pleased to say I've missed pretty much everything he's done since about 1994.

Now I can't tell whether you're being sarcastic because my joke's too obvious. This site.

Icehaven

Nope not being sarcastic! I'm not on Twitter and if I was I probably wouldn't follow Baddiel anyway so I've missed that.

Twonty Gostelow

^  Sorry! It's an old one from the Baddiel thread that gets mentioned from time to time.
But in case you do want to book him:

FredNurke

Avalon: they asked for King Arthur in their hour of need, and we gave them David Baddiel.