Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 02, 2024, 08:09:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedians who are secret millionaires from ads/corporate

Started by Average Comedy Enjoyer, July 28, 2023, 09:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 30, 2023, 09:00:57 PMRemember the John Smith's ad where Kay orders 2 lamb bhunas at an Indian restaurant?

That always annoyed me more than it should. Lamb bhunas aren't just something you order a couple of in the middle of your meal as if they're naans or something.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Mobius on July 30, 2023, 09:53:03 PMI'm sure there was a period some years back where every single advert was voiced by Matt Berry or Stephen Merchant

Fuck! You've broken my dream. Last night, I dreamt I met old school VO supremo, actor, Martin Jarvis at a book signing.  I remember saying to him, "I used to love your sit-com, Rings On Their Fingers.".

Yeah, yeah...DESO.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 30, 2023, 09:59:46 PMThat always annoyed me more than it should. Lamb bhunas aren't just something you order a couple of in the middle of your meal as if they're naans or something.

Yeah. Either that or he's questioning why his order hasn't arrived in a pretty obnoxious way. If he spoke like that to me I'd stick his head in the tandoor.

frajer

Quote from: SpiderChrist on July 31, 2023, 07:55:18 AMYeah. Either that or he's questioning why his order hasn't arrived in a pretty obnoxious way. If he spoke like that to me I'd stick his head in the tandoor.

Tandoor head?!

Yussef Dent

Quote from: Average Comedy Enjoyer on July 29, 2023, 06:44:47 AMBut the word on the street is he lost it all in a Ponzi scheme so he's just digging up.

Lost loads in the Madoff scandal. Someone I know who worked in advertising circles says he's meant to be a really nice guy and very easy to work with, apparently one of the reasons they continue to have him as the front of the brand. They were a bit unsure that people would get the "Six degrees of Kevin Bacon" thing (someone's actually done a study on it, turns out Gary Oldman is the most connected actor) but it actually worked. He doesn't do the radio ads though, that's a soundalike who will cost considerably less. Quite common practice if they have a big star for the TV ads, Idris Elba is another example when he did Vodafone commercials.

Other examples of ads/corporate with comedians in.

Vic Reeves: Woodpecker (What a refreshing change!), Heinz Tomato Ketchup (can't get the ketchup out the bottle so sits on a washing machine while it's on). Vic and Bob also did Boost, Renault and Muller Light. Bob also did First Direct.

Charlie Chuck: Double Decker, a reworking of his cake shop joke.

Asim Chaudhry: British Airways onboard safety video as Chabuddy G.

Harry Hill: Remembered this due to the "Tuck in as a term needs to die" thread, he did an advert for Tuc biscuits, whose slogan was "Tuc in!"

Des Wigwam

Quote from: frajer on July 31, 2023, 08:25:34 AMTandoor head?!

Ffs. I read this. Read it again. Read it again. Brain finally processed it and I had to mute the meeting I am on for laughing.

Well played @frajer

steveh

Not sure anyone in comedy has done better than Smith & Jones, who started their Talkback production company with the money from their Philips ads and eventually sold it for £62m.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 30, 2023, 08:43:25 PMSeemed to work out well for comedy people; Maria Bamford is in loads of Adventure Time, Tom Scharpling popped up everywhere and was basically in the main cast of Steven Universe, not to mention every other guest voice in Bob's Burgers/the Great North being various comedians, and also Paul Reubens apparently from time to time. 

Granted not many *new* people show up but it must be an alright gig for people who are knowm but aren't strictly 'stars' or legendary VAs like Billy West or John DiMaggio.

Archer and BoJack Horseman had more stars, but with the latter it was usually intentional.

Nope - FWIW, Billy West has discussed this at length. The use of celeb/name has made things tougher for voice actors.

Actors, such as him, that specialise in voice acting as treated as second class citizens and paid phenomenally less than big names. With regards for the former, West gives an example of  the Space Jam premiere, he (West played Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd) and other voice actors such as Dee Bradley Baker, weren't allowed to go to the red carpet premiere at the Chinese Theatre or the after party, but had to go to a smaller  theatre next door. The reason they were given was that the red carpet premiere was for 'the actors'.

With animated films, there has been a move (starting about 30 decades ago, arguably) to automatically think of big name actors when casting. Consequently, there is less voice work for actors specialising in it.

West also says that studios will get actors like him to read for parts and use that to help direct the actors who get the roles - ad-libs and other bits of business that come out of the readings can find their way into the finished movie.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Des Wigwam on July 29, 2023, 08:00:38 AMFar from a secret millionaire but does Hugh Laurie do voiceovers anymore? Can he still do a Bertie Wooster voice or just that terrible American accent? And it is terrible.

He used an estuary Pete and Dud type accent in ads for Kestrel lager, Peter Cook's regular drink of choice in real life. I'm certainly not saying this implicates Laurie in Cook's demise though, unlike you lot.

non capisco

I went to Barcelona one year and the entire city seemed to be covered in posters of Hugh Laurie playing an oversized Schweppes bottle like a guitar. Never saw that advert anywhere else.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Ignatius_S on July 31, 2023, 10:29:46 AMWest gives an example of  the Space Jam premiere, he (West played Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd) and other voice actors such as Dee Bradley Baker, weren't allowed to go to the red carpet premiere at the Chinese Theatre or the after party, but had to go to a smaller  theatre next door. The reason they were given was that the red carpet premiere was for 'the actors'.


William Shatner tells in his autobiography that when he voiced one of the characters in Disney's CGI kid's movie, The Wild (2006), he was contracted to go on a promotional tour doing a bunch of premieres across Europe. He said he felt bad walking up the red carpet in France, instead of the French actor who actually voiced the character.

frajer

Quote from: Des Wigwam on July 31, 2023, 09:37:43 AMFfs. I read this. Read it again. Read it again. Brain finally processed it and I had to mute the meeting I am on for laughing.

Well played @frajer

Haha, thanks Des! It's a taste sensation.

Inspector Norse

Anyone mentioned Serafinowicz yet? He's done loads, as you'd expect from a guy whose voice has always been an asset.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Mobius on July 30, 2023, 09:53:03 PMI'm sure there was a period some years back where every single advert was voiced by Matt Berry or Stephen Merchant

I think Gervais sort of needled him on the podcasts for this, not directly but he wasn't shy about saying he thought that sort of thing was beneath him while Merchant was doing them.

I think after they stopped doing the podcasts Pilkington saw a bit of VO action as well, he definitely did Wickes.

DrGreggles

Didn't Hugh Laurie get loads of shit for advertising something dodgy, but donated all the money to charity?
I think his justification was that if he did the advert he could guarantee that some good would come from it, whereas he couldn't if someone else did it.
Which seems fair enough, assuming that was the plan all along and not a reaction to the criticism. #socynical

dissolute ocelot

George Clooney has apparently made $40 million from those terrible ads for the terrible, environmentally destructive Nespresso machine. He's done a long-term deal as a brand ambassador, whatever that means (maybe he has to go to actual real parties where lots of glamorous young women coo over him).

Quote from: Inspector Norse on July 31, 2023, 11:46:27 AMAnyone mentioned Serafinowicz yet? He's done loads, as you'd expect from a guy whose voice has always been an asset.

I recall either Pegg or Frost discussing how he was doing a lot of lucrative VO well before he became well known, possibly supported by being in the Phantom Menace, which seemed like a merit casting rather than star power (we can all agree his fame was initially due to Look Around You, which came before > The PS Show > the Tick > Marvel).

Same with Rob Brydon, who has done it before and after fame, but got gigs for being a fine voice.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Ignatius_S on July 31, 2023, 10:29:46 AMWith animated films, there has been a move (starting about 30 decades ago, arguably) to automatically think of big name actors when casting. Consequently, there is less voice work for actors specialising in it.



I suppose that's true.  You always see them in the credits but they're never lead roles.  Hasn't it been the case for a while though?  I'm thinking of the film actors in the  Studio Ghibli dubs and Tom Hanks/Tim Allen as the leads in Toy Story, for example.

#108
Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 31, 2023, 01:21:23 PMStudio Ghibli dubs and Tom Hanks/Tim Allen as the leads in Toy Story, for example.

A clear example of a professional VO actor in a Ghibli film is Phil Hartman (Troy McClure) as the cat in Kiki's Delivery Service, alongside Tress MacNiell (Female Simpsons Lawyer) and Billy West (Bender) EDIT: JOEL DIMAGGIONI - MEA CULPA) as various characters. That's all the pre-Spirited Away releases though, you are correct that there were some celebs for the latter films, but it's not as all encompassing as western animation.

I'm trying to think of the oldest animated film I've seen that doesn't have a popular full-body actor in a significant role, and unfortunately if I can get past Jeff Bridges in All Dogs go to Heaven I'm then into someone else's celebrity generation. In those days Phil Harris might have had star appeal despite mostly only being know as a VO guy these days.  (Peter Ustinov in Robin Hood?)

rude soil

What is a 'corporate gig'? I've heard comedians talk about making a lot of money from them. Do they just present the prize day at a big corporation?

ollyboro

Off on a slight tangent, there was a period a few years ago when various Dragons from the Den did radio ad voiceovers. I can't imagine they pay much, so why someone worth many tens of millions would bother is beyond me. Pure greed, or total  vanity? Probably both.


Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: rude soil on July 31, 2023, 02:31:55 PMWhat is a 'corporate gig'? I've heard comedians talk about making a lot of money from them. Do they just present the prize day at a big corporation?

I think it's mostly evening events, I suppose some big corps will hire speakers as entertainment, but in my head it's probably more for industry bodies and groups rather than corps themselves (e.g. Rotary Club and the like).

I can't speak for comics but I bumped into a schoolmate who managed to carve out a career as a magician and that sort of stuff was their bread and butter. He said he found doing the mason's was a nightmare because their ceremony (e.g. rising when important people entered the room) interfered with his act.

Twonty Gostelow

Yeah, sometimes company awards, sometimes a private exclusive gig as an office jolly. The best supposedly don't just do their act, but do some research into the company, its personalities and that day a paper jam broke the copier, so they can refer to them in their spiel and make everyone feel famous for the evening. The masters are Seann Walsh and that Dante Fires DJ.
This is just one of the many companies behind them https://www.gordonpoole.com/uk/comedians/ . Another one I looked at had Baddiel and Buxton in the same £10,000 - £15,000 price range. Bug versus Bills of Mortality?

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Average Comedy Enjoyer on July 31, 2023, 02:13:19 PMIn those days Phil Harris might have had star appeal despite mostly only being know as a VO guy these days.
Made so much money he changed his first name. Like and subscribe if you get that joke.

TommyTurnips

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 29, 2023, 09:44:50 AMIt's amusing how Jim was always beaming from ear to ear whenever the paps took pictures of him doing his community service. He genuinely looked like he was having the time of his life.

https://www.alamy.com/vic-reeves-does-his-community-service-for-drink-driving-at-st-hillarys-hall-maidstone-kent-090605-image342129997.html

When I went for a stroll around B&Q there were pictures of Vic all over the place holding a spade or a rake as part of some sort of advertising campaign. Now that I've seen the community service picture it almost seems like he was leaning into the joke.



Des Wigwam

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 31, 2023, 02:46:34 PMI can't speak for comics but I bumped into a schoolmate who managed to carve out a career as a magician and that sort of stuff was their bread and butter. He said he found doing the mason's was a nightmare because their ceremony (e.g. rising when important people entered the room) interfered with his act.

Guess if they could do that then some linked rings and guessing a card seems a bit shit.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on July 31, 2023, 02:57:25 PMYeah, sometimes company awards, sometimes a private exclusive gig as an office jolly. The best supposedly don't just do their act, but do some research into the company, its personalities and that day a paper jam broke the copier, so they can refer to them in their spiel and make everyone feel famous for the evening. The masters are Seann Walsh and that Dante Fires DJ.
This is just one of the many companies behind them https://www.gordonpoole.com/uk/comedians/ . Another one I looked at had Baddiel and Buxton in the same £10,000 - £15,000 price range. Bug versus Bills of Mortality?

In general I get that comedians need to do private / corperate gigs, especially as during the pandemic many had no income coming in, but I was a bit disappointed to see Alex Horne on there given how successful Taskmaster is, and all of the international versions that have been made, unless he initially signed a really shitty contract I would have thought he'd have enough money to never even think about working again if he so wished.