Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

February 21, 2024, 08:40:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What's Your EDC When Out in the 'Field'

Started by Blumf, September 07, 2023, 03:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

In another, disgusting, thread about being caught short without a fork:

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 07, 2023, 02:05:39 PMWhen your everyday carry kit becomes too large, you might need to consider carrying an everyday carry kit kit every day to keep things organised

I must admit to keeping a few tools on my person; a set of tweezers, nail file and clippers in my wallet, and small key multi-tool on my key chain. Oh and a pen that's also scissors. I've had use for all of them, so I claim I'm not a sad case!

How are you prepped for the hostile environs of Britian's urban wilderness? Show us your tool(s)!

touchingcloth

Quote from: Blumf on September 07, 2023, 03:35:30 PMIn another, disgusting, thread about being caught short without a fork:

I must admit to keeping a few tools on my person; a set of tweezers, nail file and clippers in my wallet, and small key multi-tool on my key chain. Oh and a pen that's also scissors. I've had use for all of them, so I claim I'm not a sad case!

How are you prepped for the hostile environs of Britian's urban wilderness? Show us your tool(s)!

I keep this in my coin purse:

I keep it for spudging out my SIM card, even though I've had an eSIM for about five years now.

Endicott

I need to have at all times, an ever present soft rock backing track.

Shaxberd

Quote from: Endicott on September 07, 2023, 03:48:29 PMI need to have at all times, an ever present soft rock backing track.

likewise, I keep a foldaway tactical saxophone clipped to my belt in case of smooth jazz emergencies

(Serious answer is that my backpack contains a biro, some paracetamol, hand sanitiser and stickers of Keith Haring art for slapping over conspiracy theory bullshit on lampposts)

dontpaintyourteeth

Brolly, phone charger, Tim Hortons™️ brand metal straw in drawstring carry bag, coat, whichever book I'm currently reading, water bottle, ibuprofen, antihistamines

Cheap black backpack

Blumf

Quote from: Shaxberd on September 07, 2023, 03:51:47 PM...and stickers of Keith Haring art for slapping over conspiracy theory bullshit on lampposts

I like that idea, pro-active.

Uncle TechTip

I was intrigued in that thread too and this made me laugh a lot

https://everydaycarry.com/what-is-edc-everyday-carry-guide

QuoteMost people can get value from an everyday carry in average day-to-day situations. For example, I used a pocket knife at my baby nephew's birthday party to get his gift out of the packaging.

Just the sight of all the adults' faces as bozo whips out his handy blade, don't worry I always carry this!

Then I thought I must be quite boring as I never need to unscrew stuff in an emergency situation or away from home.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on September 07, 2023, 04:02:55 PMI was intrigued in that thread too and this made me laugh a lot

https://everydaycarry.com/what-is-edc-everyday-carry-guide

Just the sight of all the adults' faces as bozo whips out his handy blade, don't worry I always carry this!

Then I thought I must be quite boring as I never need to unscrew stuff in an emergency situation or away from home.

QuoteLighter
You don't need a vice to have a reason for carrying a lighter. Besides the obvious, they can come in handy for any situation that calls for lighting a fire. Think starting a campfire, lighting candles for a birthday cake, or during a power outage. A lighter also helps with some DIY repairs and crafts, like working with electrical heat shrink or finishing the edges of freshly cut paracord.

Is there a worse kind of man than the non-smoker who permanently carries a lighter?

Sebastian Cobb

I try and travel light because I don't really like having to lug a bag around. So usually when I'm 'on road' it's just wallet, keys, phone and earbuds; I did used to have a trolley key as well but I lost it (don't put it on keys because I know I'd end up leaving them in the trolley).

But if I'm going away / camping / etc then I sometimes throw in one of those Poundland screwdriver sets shaped like a pen with the interchangable tips that Big Clive uses.

gilbertharding

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 07, 2023, 04:04:55 PMIs there a worse kind of man than the non-smoker who permanently carries a lighter?

It's Acoustic Guitar in the Park level shit, innit?

I was going to say I have a carabiner on my keyring, but that makes me some kind of wanker too, right?

I also have one of these in the frame of my bike:

It's not as completely useless as it looks - I have used it a couple of times.

touchingcloth

A bike tool on your bike is as justified as keeping a spanner and spare wheel in the boot of your car. Carrying a lighter in case your nephew has a sudden party is mad. Absolutely absurd behavior.

seepage

Forceps, floss (in case a wimp unexpectedly invites me to lunch)

Bloke I knew always had a Pat Mustard-size multi-tool clipped to his belt when down the pub. Had a girlfriend, a very attractive one at that.

Blumf

You can get multi-tool sleeves for BIC lighters

Yeah!

Also, what's worse, carrying a lighter, or carrying a flint rod?

Icehaven

If I could carry a little multitool/small Swiss army knife type thing I probably would but I can't take anything like that into work and I wouldn't trust myself to make sure it wasn't lurking in a pocket before going in so I don't bother. I like those little credit card shaped ones like these

although they're probably useless.

touchingcloth

I carry nothing but a Leatherman-sized 3D printer as my EDC.

seepage

Forceps are amazing things:

stupidly small screw on your friend's mum's NVMe drive - forceps

drill bit lost down the gabion while mending the fence - forceps

etc.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blumf on September 07, 2023, 04:34:08 PMAlso, what's worse, carrying a lighter, or carrying a flint rod?

Meanwhile Asians had been using much cooler FIRE PISTONS since 500 AD.

dissolute ocelot

I'm prepped for situations I'm likely to encounter: loud gigs, pub quizzes, boring public transport, sinus problems. From the bag I almost invariably carry: phone, credit cards in wallet, keys, reusable ear plugs,  spare foam earplugs, biros, various medications including indigestion tablets which immediately burst out of the blister pack and settle in the bottom of my bag till I throw them out, bluetooth headphones, wired headphones (very tangled and unusable with my new phone), plastic shopping bag, small camera, various lip products, pointless USB cable with the wrong connectors for charging anything. Often a book, scrap paper, and a selection of paper napkins from fast food outlets, but sadly not today.

Pink Gregory

There's a tiny bronze screw in the change pouch of my wallet that's been there for longer than I can remember.  I assume that this may be preventing moths from proliferating in there.

dontpaintyourteeth

Bottle opener on keys for eating ice cream

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Pink Gregory on September 07, 2023, 05:34:06 PMThere's a tiny bronze screw in the change pouch of my wallet that's been there for longer than I can remember.  I assume that this may be preventing moths from proliferating in there.

While getting ready to move out and assembling all the tools I'd left lying around I ended up deciding to clean my toolbox as a tube of araldite and possibly another tube of grease had burst in the bottom of it and covered everything in slime. In doing so I found lots of "important" screws and connecting things that I'd taken off things and decided worth keeping for when I put them back together. Of course I had no idea what they were off anymore, apart from some parts from a strimmer I bequeathed to someone 6 years ago.

ProvanFan

Captain Z

Probably the one in Las Vegas, although it's held at a race circuit not a field.

kittens

as a teenager i saw a man who i knew to be very cool pull out a screwdriver in a situation where a screwdriver was in desperate need. since then i have desired to be just like that man. every day i carry with me: two screwdrivers

touchingcloth

Quote from: kittens on September 07, 2023, 05:56:58 PMas a teenager i saw a man who i knew to be very cool pull out a screwdriver in a situation where a screwdriver was in desperate need. since then i have desired to be just like that man. every day i carry with me: two screwdrivers

It's a bit gauche to pull out two screwdrivers when people have specifically said they just need the one. Get over yourself, swinging it about with your surplus tool.

QDRPHNC

The whole EDC thing... it says something about people but I'm not sure what. Maybe it's because I absolutely loathe being weighed down with anything but the bare minimum, but that once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to use my hoof-pick isn't enough of a draw to get me to carry round a bag shit all day every day.

Zero Gravitas

I like to carry an opinel, because every non-French person carrying one means a French person could fall into a life-threatening situation and not have a knife, and therefore die.

Never heard of this EDC thing before. I prefer to keep it minimalist, wearing only a loincloth and sandals, but with a set of jump leads draped around my bare shoulders in case I can assist anyone who's struggling to get their car started. I bet none of these EDC lads have thought of the jump leads thing.

QDRPHNC

My wallet is so minimal a pair of muggers didn't believe it was my wallet and insisted I had another one in my sock.