Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 13, 2024, 01:33:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What's Your EDC When Out in the 'Field'

Started by Blumf, September 07, 2023, 03:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flotemysost

Bottled water, SPF50, lip balm, headphones, earplugs, chewing gum, paracetamol, Imodium, couple of jam rags and johnnies (as well as phone, card and keys). Obviously most of that is a "well, you never know" - it'd be one hell of a day out if you ended up needing to use all of those.

I haven't used a wallet/purse in years so I just stick my bank card in the little zip-up section of whatever bag I'm using where all the other private shit lives, meaning there's been loads of times I've taken it out to pay in a shop or café and something like a battered neolithic Bodyform or a baggie with a gnat's share of MDMA lurking at the bottom that I'd completely forgotten about comes flying out with it.

thenoise

When I lived in London I used to carry a little plastic stick for the sole purpose of pressing the buttons of pelican crossings, rather than dirtying my precious finger. I forget what it used to be (it wasn't designed for the purpose), but I'm pretty sure I found a few more uses for it over the years.

Other than that: minimal. The more shit I lug around with me, the less likely I am to notice that I have forgotten something crucial. Like my house keys.

Jasha

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 07, 2023, 04:56:18 PMI'm prepped for situations I'm likely to encounter: loud gigs, pub quizzes, boring public transport, sinus problems. From the bag I almost invariably carry: phone, credit cards in wallet, keys, reusable ear plugs,  spare foam earplugs, biros, various medications including indigestion tablets which immediately burst out of the blister pack and settle in the bottom of my bag till I throw them out, bluetooth headphones, wired headphones (very tangled and unusable with my new phone), plastic shopping bag, small camera, various lip products, pointless USB cable with the wrong connectors for charging anything. Often a book, scrap paper, and a selection of paper napkins from fast food outlets cement mixer, 3 way ladder, sachet of heinz ketchup from Burger King, shoelaces (black) 12" boot laces (black) 24", Bahco 1/4" rachet with 3-13mm sockets + 5&6mm hex nibs, 4x AA batteries, 4x AAA batteries, CR2032 cell battery, 6 1st class stamps, C90 of Tennyson on reading The charge of the light brigade,50 Portuguese Escudos, Frey Bentos steak and kidney pie, but sadly not today.

Blue Jam

touchingcloth

Meant to post this in this thread rather than the squalid picnic one:

The most hilarious category of everyday carry item to carry every day is the "tactical pen"

QuoteA tactical pen can be a great addition to your everyday carry when it comes to self-defense. Not only can it be used as a writing instrument, but it can also be used as a self-defense tool in close-quarters situations. There are a lot of different tactical pens on the market, so it can be challenging to find the right one for you.

Tactical pens are often low-profile self-defense tools, making them ideal EDC choices. Common tactical pen features are heavy knurling on the body for grip, a pocket clip for simple retrieval, and sometimes a glass breaker tip for emergencies. Even if you don't intend to use your tactical pen for more active applications, it will frequently be strong enough to handle heavy use and inconspicuous enough not to attract undue attention.

For the man who has everything except the ability to write using Kryten's cock

Bet they all use red ink.

Blue Jam

Presumably tactical pens are legal because they're actually of fuck-all use for self defence purposes?

touchingcloth

You read about these people who get stabbed or shot to death because they keep a gun or knife next to their bed without knowing how to actually use them against an intruder.

I expect the Venn diagram of people who are handy in mano a mano combat and those who would purchase and carry a tactical pen would lead to similar results.

Blue Jam

Never bring a knife to a gun fight etc

Just found this incredible site:

https://veteranlife.com/gear/tactical-pen/

QuoteOne disadvantage of them is that they aren't necessarily frightening on the surface. In a life or death situation, pulling out a pen may not intimidate anyone. So, even though you can remain inconspicuous with your pen, it may not always scare people off.

It also offered me this "related article":

https://veteranlife.com/lifestyle/tasers-for-women/

Blumf

This is the pen I mentioned in the opening:

Don't think it's tactical, but I have used all it's feature 'in the field' (literally in a field at one point, fixing a penny pusher, in hut, in a field. Always prepared!!).

Blue Jam

Quote from: Blumf on September 07, 2023, 11:16:30 PMThis is the pen I mentioned in the opening:

Don't think it's tactical, but I have used all it's feature 'in the field' (literally in a field at one point, fixing a penny pusher, in hut, in a field. Always prepared!!).

I have a gawjus Victorinox Swiss army knife, walnut handle, loads of tools, but a locking blade which I believe makes it illegal to carry if I'm not cycling and can't claim I'm carrying it for its very handy bike tools. Actually have used them a few times, and use the screwdrivers, blades, can opener etc loads around the house. I probably should get a smol one minus a locking blade as an EDC.

The pliers/wire cutter/wire stripper bit is really handy.

Wouldn't buy a tactical pen if only because I'm a fountain pen wanker.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 07, 2023, 11:15:41 PMNever bring a knife to a gun fight etc

Just found this incredible site:

https://veteranlife.com/gear/tactical-pen/

It also offered me this "related article":

https://veteranlife.com/lifestyle/tasers-for-women/

Fucking pencels. Forever alone.

I don't know whats worse: believing a pen could save you in a life or death situation, or believing carrying a pen is essential in 2023. 

Blue Jam

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 07, 2023, 11:25:33 PMI don't know whats worse: believing a pen could save you in a life or death situation, or believing carrying a pen is essential in 2023. 

We've been over this in the various fountain pen wanker threads: I carry a pen because I write in a lab book most days and take lots of notes at meetings. I also like sketching with fountain pens.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 07, 2023, 11:34:00 PMWe've been over this in the various fountain pen wanker threads: I carry a pen because I write in a lab book most days and take lots of notes at meetings. I also like sketching with fountain pens.

Yeah, but something tells me you wouldn't always take a pen out with you. I get the impression the pencels are taking them when they take the dog out for a walk, or nip out for a pint of milk. Not that they do either of those things, as I think they're more likely to take the drone out for a flight and order tactical Huel online.

Zetetic

Bag in backpack:
Ballpoint pen
Antihistamines (usually Cetirizine)
Ibuprofen & codeine
PrEP
Naloxone

Should probably add dark chocolate as coughing becomes popular again. (Maybe a face mask?)

Got some bike repair stuff in the bottom of the pannier.

Blumf

Quote from: Zetetic on September 07, 2023, 11:38:37 PMBag in backpack:
Ballpoint pen
Antihistamines (usually Cetirizine)
Ibuprofen & codeine
PrEP
Naloxone

You are a branch of Boots and I hereby claim my five pounds! (also PrEP? What are you getting up to?)

Zetetic

Quote from: Blumf on September 07, 2023, 11:49:09 PM(also PrEP? What are you getting up to?)
Well, what you'd expect (and as you'd expect, not often enough).

It's mostly in this collection so that if I somehow misplace my actual meds box, there's less panicking all round.

Would do to start post-exposure prophylaxis in pinch. Well, not really, but again having them to hand would calm me down a bit.

bgmnts

Codeine? You alright like??

Also I'm hoping the pannier is the wide 18th century skirt rather than a regular old bike saddle bag.

Zetetic

Quote from: bgmnts on September 08, 2023, 12:06:16 AMCodeine? You alright like??
I reckon you might as well not mess about if you're in need of semi-urgent pain relief, and probably deserve a little treat at the same time (although 12.5mg of codeine isn't going to get you much).

But it does tend to make it less useful to other people (my partner says it makes her nauseous, for example), so maybe I should swap to plain ibuprofen.

My sister carries a monkey's fist - a sizeable ball bearing wound into a length of cord. It's massively illegal to have on your person and it could easily fracture a skull, but she was violently mugged when she was pregnant so I can understand why she acquired one. Better than those shitey pens and available in a colour of your choice.

Midas

Midas

shoulders

A bit of an outlay but I'm enjoying the discreet portability of my Pocket Paedo®️, lightweight and can be comfortably stowed until time whereby you need to frighten people away, particularly children.

Blue Jam

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 07, 2023, 11:36:06 PMYeah, but something tells me you wouldn't always take a pen out with you. I

I do :) I have a fountain pen in my lab coat pocket, a different fountain pen I keep in my manbag, and two on my desk at home. Always good to carry a pen, you never know how well-stocked a pub quiz organiser is gonna be, plus I just really hate writing with biros.

Oh gawd am I a pencel?

Uncle TechTip

poodlefaker

I love that this has a special bit for opening letters, bcs how would you manage otherwise?

Blue Jam

madhair60

Marner and Me

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on September 08, 2023, 12:52:38 AMMy sister carries a monkey's fist - a sizeable ball bearing wound into a length of cord. It's massively illegal to have on your person and it could easily fracture a skull, but she was violently mugged when she was pregnant so I can understand why she acquired one. Better than those shitey pens and available in a colour of your choice.
https://www.farbgel.com/

This stuff is the badgers nadgers

As for me when I take a bag, I'll have lock picking tools in there, never had to use them for a real situation, but I am able to pick basic padlocks.

Apart from that if I'm in a town/urban area, phone and bank card, I can buy anything I need. If I go out walking/mountain biking I'll take a warm coat, rain coat, 2 litres of water and some food.