Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,574,321
  • Total Topics: 106,599
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:29:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What's Your EDC When Out in the 'Field'

Started by Blumf, September 07, 2023, 03:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dissolute ocelot

I'm sure I'm not the only non-smoking male person who used to carry a lighter for years in case a woman would ask for a light. It certainly never helped me score that way, although may have helped occasionally with candles.

I formerly carried a notebook and pen with me EVERYWHERE until about 2010. Initially I wrote poetry, later shopping lists, passwords, birthdays, and upcoming events.

The Mollusk

My dad carries a bit of a plastic drinking straw which is cut off at a diagonal angle then flattened to a triangular point which he uses as a makeshift toothpick. This is basically the most dad thing ever and I always do a little inward chuckle whenever he whips it out.

Sebastian Cobb

Why doesn't he just carry a toothpick?

Whenever I went to festivals I tended to chuck in some tie-wraps and gaffa tape, because with enough of one or the other you can usually fix the worst of camping problems to get you through the weekend. It does come with the problem that it looks like your'e planning to abduct someone.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 08, 2023, 11:11:06 AMWhy doesn't he just carry a toothpick?

I think this is his way of inventing his own personal life hack. Which, again, is extreme dad behaviour.

My work bag has a bunch of assorted shit in it for inspecting properties:

Screwdriver for prying open awkward cupboards or meter boxes, especially water meters in the pavement

Selfie stick for taking photos of high hard to reach areas - actually really handy but an embarrassing looking thing to whip out

Utility keys - T-bar key and FB1 and 2 keys which you can get at any hardware shop and get you access into a surprising amount of communal spaces in blocks of flats

No fork/spoon though.

Blue Jam

touchingcloth

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 08, 2023, 09:52:09 AMI do :) I have a fountain pen in my lab coat pocket, a different fountain pen I keep in my manbag, and two on my desk at home. Always good to carry a pen, you never know how well-stocked a pub quiz organiser is gonna be, plus I just really hate writing with biros.

Oh gawd am I a pencel?

I was giving you a potential out, but it seems like you have a terminal case of penceldom. Supreme Pencelman.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 08, 2023, 11:14:40 AMI think this is his way of inventing his own personal life hack. Which, again, is extreme dad behaviour.

My work bag has a bunch of assorted shit in it for inspecting properties:

Screwdriver for prying open awkward cupboards or meter boxes, especially water meters in the pavement

Selfie stick for taking photos of high hard to reach areas - actually really handy but an embarrassing looking thing to whip out

Utility keys - T-bar key and FB1 and 2 keys which you can get at any hardware shop and get you access into a surprising amount of communal spaces in blocks of flats

No fork/spoon though.

Conversely I have a thing of wooden toothpicks that I've never used on my teeth and bought mostly as a non-magnetic / non-condutive prodding instrument (ideal for adjusting wind-up watches) and for bodge-repairing things when screws have come loose (shove toothpick in hole then the screw will bind into that). Which is also quite dad-like behaviour when you think about it.

And recently when moving out a flat I found myself needing, but not having a stick to stir some paint with (repainting mucky marks on the walls with paint that was in the closet when I moved in).

Yeah those F keys were essential for pirates trying to hide transmitters in tower blocks.

Vodkafone

Keys, wallet, phone and a heightened sense of awareness. Everything else I leave to my Lord and Guardian, Jesus Christ.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 08, 2023, 11:18:32 AMYeah those F keys were essential for pirates trying to hide transmitters in tower blocks.

Nice! I never knew that. Nice to uhh be a part of that scene somehow.

Captain Z

I thought a tactical pen was the reason Man Utd play Bruno Fernandez!

touchingcloth

Quote from: Captain Z on September 08, 2023, 11:32:32 AMI thought a tactical pen was the reason Man Utd play Bruno Fernandez!

The thing about United is they always try to walk it pen.

OMG, I've just made an excellent and accurate football joke!

seepage

just remembered I used to carry a comb around in the 90s. Does anyone still use a comb?

studpuppet

Quote from: madhair60 on September 08, 2023, 10:39:17 AMglock

Madhair thinks he's being funny here (well, he always THINKS he's being funny), but if you have a search on Twitter for EDCs, they're generally posted by Americans and normally seem to involve a Crocodile Dundee-sized hunting knife and a 9mm automatic. There are a lot of things that could put you off going to the USA but seeing how many people are tooled up by default is fucking frightening.

Quite frankly, the only EDC kit you need to know about is the one in Brian Hildreth's 'How To Survive': a tobacco tin (which doubles as a heliograph for signalling search aircraft etc) containing:

- matches and striker
- candle
- whistle
- compass
- razor blade
- string
- needle and thread
- fishing line
- safety pins
- rubber tubing (for in-the-field enemas presumably)
- first aid materials
- Condys crystals in a plastic bag
- sugar
- nails
- notepaper
- pencil

And no, don't ask me how you shoehorn all that into a tobacco tin - buy the bloody book!

gilbertharding

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 07, 2023, 04:18:40 PMA bike tool on your bike is as justified as keeping a spanner and spare wheel in the boot of your car.

Obviously in general terms you're quite right - but look at the state of my little toolkit. Style over substance. That's what I was getting at.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: gilbertharding on September 08, 2023, 12:21:21 PMObviously in general terms you're quite right - but look at the state of my little toolkit.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Aside from the standard keys wallet and phone, I have a little Swiss army knife on my keyring.

The spring on the scissors has snapped, which is a shame as I mostly use it to keep my fingernails tidy. It still comes in handy for that and many other uses though.

I also keep a pack of painkillers in my wallet. I don't need them often, but it's better to have and not need than need and not have.

Even that sometimes feels like a bit much. My wallet is rather bulky and makes me look like I'm wearing half a pair of jodhpurs when it's in my pocket. I suppose I could try using Google Pay instead, but I'm a bit wary of that. Also, sods law dictates that I'd forget the paracetamol and get a bastard of a headache when I'm out.

gilbertharding

Quote from: studpuppet on September 08, 2023, 12:20:08 PMMadhair thinks he's being funny here (well, he always THINKS he's being funny), but if you have a search on Twitter for EDCs, they're generally posted by Americans and normally seem to involve a Crocodile Dundee-sized hunting knife and a 9mm automatic. There are a lot of things that could put you off going to the USA but seeing how many people are tooled up by default is fucking frightening.

Quite frankly, the only EDC kit you need to know about is the one in Brian Hildreth's 'How To Survive': a tobacco tin (which doubles as a heliograph for signalling search aircraft etc) containing:

- matches and striker
- candle
- whistle
- compass
- razor blade
- string
- needle and thread
- fishing line
- safety pins
- first aid materials
- sugar
- nails
- notepaper
- pencil

And no, don't ask me how you shoehorn all that into a tobacco tin - buy the bloody book!

Ah, now: I know how to collect distilled drinking water, but you couldn't get a bucket, a shovel and a 6 foot square plastic groundsheet into a tobacco tin either.

touchingcloth

Quote from: studpuppet on September 08, 2023, 12:20:08 PMQuite frankly, the only EDC kit you need to know about is the one in Brian Hildreth's 'How To Survive': a tobacco tin (which doubles as a heliograph for signalling search aircraft etc) containing:

- matches and striker
- candle
- whistle
- compass
- razor blade
- string
- needle and thread
- fishing line
- safety pins
- first aid materials
- sugar
- nails
- notepaper
- pencil

How big is a tobacco tin, and what purpose does the sugar have? In my mind a tobacco tin is not really big enough to fit all of the non-sugar items, so is the idea you fill the voids with sugar leaving yourself with enough for 1, 2 cups of tea or to keep you from starvation for about 5 minutes?

JaDanketies

My 'going out' keys contain:
  • Earplugs
  • A high-powered 1000 lumen torch that could also feasibly be shined in the eyes of a mugger before I run away in the other direction
  • A RADAR key that opens disabled toilets; usually I don't use it but when it's necessary it's really necessary, also it's legal for able-bodied people to use disabled toilets anyway
  • A dolphin-shaped bottle opener someone left in my hotel room at Wacken 2007, but I don't use this so often either now I am less of an alcoholic

If I'm going out on a UK holiday or whatever I'll also take my weed vape, some weed, some painkillers, and some antihistamines

touchingcloth

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 08, 2023, 12:23:28 PMAside from the standard keys wallet and phone, I have a little Swiss army knife on my keyring.

Bin Laden has won, in airports of the world every day. I had a little Swiss army knife on my keyring, now thrown away by rule-bound dundridges. STUPID waste.

Sebastian Cobb

I always forget a bottle opener when I'm on a train and have bottles (rare).

I usually end up improvising and using my keys, but I once used the corner of my phone to pry the cap off and the person opposite of me gave me a proper dirty look.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 08, 2023, 12:23:28 PMMy wallet is rather bulky and makes me look like I'm wearing half a pair of jodhpurs when it's in my pocket.

Get two wallets, problem solved.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Blumf

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 08, 2023, 11:09:57 AMMy dad carries a bit of a plastic drinking straw which is cut off at a diagonal angle then flattened to a triangular point which he uses as a makeshift toothpick.

Tactical Christmas present!

https://heinnie.com/titaner-ti-toothpick

Icehaven

Out here in the field
I fight for my meals
I get my mini screwdriver and bottle opener into my living.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Blumf on September 08, 2023, 01:23:11 PMTactical Christmas present!

https://heinnie.com/titaner-ti-toothpick

He would end up using it for something else no doubt. Picking fluff out of the rollers of his ball mouse or some shit

Marner and Me

Quote from: studpuppet on September 08, 2023, 12:20:08 PMMadhair thinks he's being funny here (well, he always THINKS he's being funny), but if you have a search on Twitter for EDCs, they're generally posted by Americans and normally seem to involve a Crocodile Dundee-sized hunting knife and a 9mm automatic. There are a lot of things that could put you off going to the USA but seeing how many people are tooled up by default is fucking frightening.

- matches and striker
- candle
- whistle
- compass
- razor blade
- string
- needle and thread
- fishing line
- safety pins
- first aid materials
- sugar
- nails
- notepaper
- pencil

Fire starting

touchingcloth

With AIDS being set on fire on the cover, I think this answers the question of what the opposite of a pamphlet from Terrence Higgins Trust is.

Shaxberd

Reading a pamphlet upside down while hanging over a ravine dangling from your homemade snowshoes does not paint a flattering picture of the intended reader.

touchingcloth

Protection, First Aid, Water, Food, AIDS. Captain Planet's let himself go.