Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 12, 2024, 07:11:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The new "What Stand Up Have You Seen Lately?" thread

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 16, 2016, 08:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flotemysost

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 04, 2023, 01:48:42 PMI'd echo this, I saw it when it debuted at the Diorama in December 21 and absolutely loved it.

Ah nice, yeah the Diorama does usually seem to be pretty solid in the quality of new stuff it showcases (as does the Southwark Playhouse, where the current run is, imho).

edwardfog

Saw the full version of Hecklers Welcome in Bristol tonight. Lots of heckles, very well handled. Worked much better than it did at the Bill Murray. Annoyingly you kind of need the heckles to fully illustrate the show's point

Memorex MP3

Bit last minute but does anyone want two tickets to Tim key at the bull mirray at 6pm? Free obviously, I forgot to return them

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Des Wigwam on September 30, 2023, 08:18:06 PMKPM has an understandable embargo on discussing her show but I really enjoyed it. She is extremely accomplished. I had a bit of a sinking feeling at the start as I thought it would not be relatable but I was very wrong. Lots of proper laughs and good story telling. I think she did a WIP-WIP version at Edinburgh that someone here saw and didn't love. I would say it's moved on since then and is as good as fully formed.

I caught it at the Fringe and it seemed fully formed then too.  I thought it was great.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on October 07, 2023, 08:10:41 AMI caught it at the Fringe and it seemed fully formed then too.  I thought it was great.

Apologies - misremembered your post. Really hope it gets toured not least because I can then write about the one tiny bit that irritated me - and that's down to Frank Skinner mainly.

CaledonianGonzo

Finally caught Paul Foot's Dissolve show last night, but sadly didn't get from it what others seem to have. He's dialled back the whimsy so I found it an improvement on the last time I caught him (which must be 9 or 10 years back) but I didn't find the jokes strong or surprising enough to augment the emotional content. Glad he's doing well in his new headspace, but I'm still not seeing that it generates next-level comedy.

Deano

Saw Ed Byrne's show Tragedy Plus Time - focused on the death of his brother and comedy director Paul Byrne. Really good show, and pretty dark at points (for an Ed Byrne show anyway).

Also saw Tom Little this weekend- The Reliably Funny Comedian You Want To See - first time I'd seen. Never before have I seen an act that so perfectly resembles my own inner monologue. Talks 200 words a minute, referencing every little thing he says and does. At one point he stopped to drink some water and my brain made a few observations about how he's mis-timed it, and had put the glass in the wrong place and a few other things. Then he pretty much then said all those things out loud. It's the not the greatest show I've ever seen and some people would *hate* it, but it was fascinating to see someone and be able to go "oh yeah your brain is the exact same as mine").

Andrew O'Neill - Geburah -  I don't think I've seen a surreal political comedy show before but this was that. Jumping back and forth between land rights and Richard Madeley's Penis. Almost feels like O'Neill has managed to work his ADHD into the show by skipping back and forth between various strands with no warning, and letting that as a device set up call-backs or extended pull back and reveals. Very smart stuff.

DrGreggles

Anyone after a ticket for the Resonance FM comedy benefit on Friday give me a shout.

Small Man Big Horse

A Show Called Thursday, at 2Northdown, King's Cross
Joseph Morpurgo - 20 minutes from his "finishing unfinished works, we got the Enid Blyton and Disney Oz sequel, both were awesome even if he was losing his voice towards the end. Couldn't honestly tell you if it was the same material as before or if there were additions, but I didn't care, it was just lovely seeing him back on stage again.

Alyssa Virji - Ten minutes of complaining about spending three years at drama school but no one wanting to give her work, she also talked about dating and I wondered if there are any actors who have successfully made a career out of being a stand up, I mean, I'm sure there must be, but all of those who I've seen at this stage of their careers have been awful with no awareness of how hacky their material is.

Paulinale Noir - Pretended to be a poet, but just took gloves off to reveal she was wearing another pair of gloves underneath, and then another, and another. Faked sex, pretended to be a baby, my female friend said at the end that she may never forgive me for taking her to see this.

Nikola McMurtrie - Did four pun filled minutes as an uterus, then one song spoofing Gen-Z sels-obsessed tik tokkers, before she did an interpretive dance to a reading of a reddit post from a hideoux sexist cunt, My female friend took a gun out of her bag and shot me in the head as she thought it was so awful.

Bec Hill and Christian Brighty were due to headline, but by this point we'd both had enough, and even though I really like Hill I was really tired so went home.

edwardfog

Hahaha good stuff. Can't wait for the fully fleshed return of Morpurgo

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: edwardfog on October 13, 2023, 08:32:01 AMHahaha good stuff. Can't wait for the fully fleshed return of Morpurgo

Yeah, me as well, I'm so glad that he's returned to stand up, but despite loving him to pieces I'm going to wait for the completed show now rather than catching him on mixed bills.

cakeinmilk

Well despite a torn ACL I made it to Always Be Comedy last night. Fern Brady was billed but had cancelled, so instead we got Nish Kumar doing thirty mins of new material with and largely about a broken finger, Sofie Hagen who reminded me of when people were calling her out for being a terrible dog owner, and Bill Bailey as the surprise headliner doing what seemed like very early WIP plus a song he'd just finished writing. Always a great crowd here.

I'm hobbling off to Resofit tonight.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: cakeinmilk on October 13, 2023, 01:36:17 PMWell despite a torn ACL I made it to Always Be Comedy last night. Fern Brady was billed but had cancelled, so instead we got Nish Kumar doing thirty mins of new material with and largely about a broken finger, Sofie Hagen who reminded me of when people were calling her out for being a terrible dog owner, and Bill Bailey as the surprise headliner doing what seemed like very early WIP plus a song he'd just finished writing. Always a great crowd here.

I'm hobbling off to Resofit tonight.

What's Bill Bailey like these days?  I kind of dimiss him as diminishing returns considering the kind of big theatre/arena shows he's done for yeara but I was a huge fan at one point.

Memorex MP3

Think I'll hold off on Morpurgo WIPs; seeing as he's been doing pretty well with his other work the last few years id have to imagine the next fully formed show he does could have massive advancements in the media side of it all.

Glad to hear he's back

edwardfog

Also at the Resonance thing tonight. As always, anyone who sees me feel free to say hi (shaved head, beard, blue checkered shirt, dozens of beautiful women surrounding me)

Here it is! Online finally, my favourite COVID-era comedy act.

DrGreggles

Love them fuckers!

Nowt But Sea was filmed a while back, so hopefully that'll be released soon.
Cold Hard Cache is still on NextUp too.

I have an icarus-like parasocial relationship with TDS so was delighted to see Amy win House of Games this week, and get to be the voice of the Asda Xmas campaign 2022. Onwards and upwards and here's to the never-gonna-happen second series of Tiredness Kills.

Maybe Chris and Sam O'Leary will grave Belfast with their adult film club, here's hoping.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Average Comedy Enjoyer on October 13, 2023, 11:06:12 PMhere's to the never-gonna-happen second series of Tiredness Kills

Spoiler alert
recorded, out this year
[close]

edwardfog

Not a huge amount to report from Resofit. Fun night, everyone on good form but no one new to me. Rob Auton read a long story about being an estate agent on Jupiter which was nice but seemed to have parted ways with comedy slightly. Fun to see Rose Matafeo again although I've always found her a bit inconsistent. Highlights were pretty standard: Campbell, Kitson, Ewins

Pink Gregory

bumped the wrong thread here lads, can we merge with SMBH's thread, @Barry Admin ?

Pink Gregory

Was going to make a thread wondering what Brendon Burns was doing but just seen a Facebook post where he's crowdfunding for re-entering rehab.

Really sad, apparently he's been homeless and having some medical problems.  At least he's managed this much.  Hope he comes back.

edwardfog

Ben Target - Lorenzo
Not really appropriate for this thread because it's a theatre/storytelling show rather than standup, but there's still a bunch of jokes and it's certainly pretty close formally speaking to something like Kim Noble or Richard Gadd's shows. This is an account of a period during the pandemic that Target spent looking after an elderly uncle figure in the aftermath of a stroke. It's very nicely staged although the "live carpentry" angle is only briefly in evidence. And I guess it's a very moving piece? My friend who accompanied me was sobbing throughout the back half and said it was the best thing she'd seen all year. But she's a theatre nerd, and for my tastes this was a bit theatrical. Can I help it if he gives me the ick? It's not good criticism and it's not really based on anything, I just can't watch him without feeling like he's faking it, everything, the whole thing. Objectively it's a good show though.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: edwardfog on October 14, 2023, 06:20:10 PMBen Target - Lorenzo
Not really appropriate for this thread because it's a theatre/storytelling show rather than standup, but there's still a bunch of jokes and it's certainly pretty close formally speaking to something like Kim Noble or Richard Gadd's shows. This is an account of a period during the pandemic that Target spent looking after an elderly uncle figure in the aftermath of a stroke. It's very nicely staged although the "live carpentry" angle is only briefly in evidence. And I guess it's a very moving piece? My friend who accompanied me was sobbing throughout the back half and said it was the best thing she'd seen all year. But she's a theatre nerd, and for my tastes this was a bit theatrical. Can I help it if he gives me the ick? It's not good criticism and it's not really based on anything, I just can't watch him without feeling like he's faking it, everything, the whole thing. Objectively it's a good show though.

I considered going to that but there was something about the write up that put me off, and I'm glad I didn't go now as it as I'd have gone in expecting comedy and it sounds like I'd have left annoyed.

Sid Singh: Table For One at 2Northdown - The laughs don't come especially thick and fast in this hour where Singh discusses his love for comedy but how his parents wished he'd become either a doctor or lawyer, yet he does have an interesting tale to tell as to how he became a fairly rubbish human rights lawyer but those around him are amazing. There's also a running thread about he's woke and supportive of LGBQTI+ individuals, but he's lazy and does the bare minimum, and material about his family, and I was glad I went, and I found myself laughing more than quite a lot of the rest of the audience, but it needs a few stronger pay offs to be something I'd recommend rushing to see. 3.75/5

Viggo Venn: Tour Preview at Soho Theatre, 9.30pm - I deliberately went in to this knowing very little about the man, having only previously seen his very first appearance on Britain's Got Talent, and based on this it seems a bit mad he won. He comes across as an extremely likeable guy, but the material was stretched almost to breaking point, and relied enormously on audience participation. I guess that means it'll be quite different every night, but last night was fairly sketchy, with one guy who had to play a vicar not really understanding what was going on and that led to a comedy black hole. Then there's a bit where he impersonates people's cars which had a fairly okay pay off, but the only segment which really got the audience going was where he played Eminem's "My name is..." and shoved a microphone in someone's face and got them to say their name, which was then sampled, and the song played back while he suggested what kind of person they were. It sounds shit I know but this was the only time he really shone, his mimicry was quite inspired, and it was the only time I found myself laughing a lot.
There's a little bit more to it than the above but I can't be arsed to typing it out, my ticket was extremely cheap (as in under a fiver) and I found him intriguing, but I kept on thinking if I'd paid £20+ I'd have been very unimpressed. So, um, if you can see it really cheaply I'd say it was a 3.25/5 show, if you pay £20+ it'll be a 2/5 at best, unless the audience members he gets on stage are really on form.

itf

Got a last minute cheapie for Lucy Beaumont via Twickets, and can't say I was over impressed. No real structure to it apart from a weak twelve days of Christmas pastiche using Angry People In Local Newspapers type content. It was gently amusing but no more, won't be rushing back. Still ten times better than the Peter Kay show I saw a few weeks back which was thankfully a freebie.

edwardfog

Viggo's in an interesting position. Never really had a big Fringe show before, and always relied very heavily on just a couple of gold routines, both of which he spent (very economically) on BGT. He must be sweating trying to come up with new stuff to justify the increase in audience

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: edwardfog on October 15, 2023, 01:43:05 PMViggo's in an interesting position. Never really had a big Fringe show before, and always relied very heavily on just a couple of gold routines, both of which he spent (very economically) on BGT. He must be sweating trying to come up with new stuff to justify the increase in audience

I'd say he's got at best about forty minutes of material right now which he stretched out to sixty, and there were a few too many times when he joked about something not working, that's something I'd expect at a work in progress but not in a show in the main theatre. I noticed that he's got another London date at a different theatre in December and tickets were just under £40, and if he does the same show there then it really would be taking the piss. I feel a bit mean writing this as he does seem like a really nice bloke who enjoys being silly, but I can imagine audience's getting pissed off with him if they spent a lot to see him.

edwardfog

Quote from: edwardfog on September 08, 2023, 09:46:35 AMComedy fans may like to know that the Australian comedian Greg Larsen is doing a very rare UK show on October 19th at the Moth Club, one night only. The same show that was nominated for the Barry this year I think. Should be really good riyl the Sam Campbell Dan Rath axis of Australian oddballs

This is tomorrow and tickets are currently half price with the code GREG

Quote from: Average Comedy Enjoyer on October 13, 2023, 10:05:07 PM

Here it is! Online finally, my favourite COVID-era comedy act.

Really enjoyed this! Glad it's popped up online officially.

Any other good recommendations of shows that have gone straight to the act in questions YT channel?

I really enjoyed Sam Campbell's Companion as well.

I really enjoy things!