Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 12, 2024, 07:17:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The new "What Stand Up Have You Seen Lately?" thread

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 16, 2016, 08:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: Average Comedy Enjoyer on October 13, 2023, 10:05:07 PM

Here it is! Online finally, my favourite COVID-era comedy act.

This was new to me and I loved it! Thanks for the recommendation :D

EDIT: New page, slags

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: edwardfog on September 08, 2023, 09:46:35 AMComedy fans may like to know that the Australian comedian Greg Larsen is doing a very rare UK show on October 19th at the Moth Club, one night only. The same show that was nominated for the Barry this year I think. Should be really good riyl the Sam Campbell Dan Rath axis of Australian oddballs

Quote from: cakeinmilk on September 08, 2023, 05:04:21 PMI've booked tickets to Larsen too, have similarly never heard of him. Thanks for alerting us to it!

Quote from: edwardfog on October 18, 2023, 05:53:08 PMThis is tomorrow and tickets are currently half price with the code GREG

Afraid I'm not going to make it tonight, I'm feeling pretty shattered unfortunately and have a long day tomorrow, but I hope you both enjoy the gig.

DrGreggles

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on October 19, 2023, 03:11:48 PMThis was new to me and I loved it! Thanks for the recommendation :D

Check out their Cold Hard Cache too, if you have NextUp.

edwardfog

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 19, 2023, 05:26:33 PMAfraid I'm not going to make it tonight, I'm feeling pretty shattered unfortunately and have a long day tomorrow, but I hope you both enjoy the gig.

Sparse attendance here, not sure why he chose Moth Club over Bill Murray. Pretty good show though, not particularly wacky or crazy but had some real pathos in there and some interesting stuff on sexuality. Little surprised it was Barry nominated but it's a solid show

cakeinmilk

Quote from: edwardfog on October 19, 2023, 10:39:25 PMSparse attendance here, not sure why he chose Moth Club over Bill Murray. Pretty good show though, not particularly wacky or crazy but had some real pathos in there and some interesting stuff on sexuality. Little surprised it was Barry nominated but it's a solid show

Yeah I loved it - thanks for the recommendation. Didn't see you there, which is odd as, as you say, it was hardly rammed. Thought in the first 10 mins I had a handle on what it was going to be, but was totally swerved.

edwardfog

I was sitting directly behind you on the naughty kids table with Sam Campbell Rose Matafeo and Daniel Kitson (I don't know them really I was just saying hi). Wanted to say hi to you too but I got drawn into something as soon as the show finished and then you disappeared immediately. So glad you liked the show!

cakeinmilk

Not at all offended you thought those dweebs might be better company than me! I had a long limp back to the tube, hence the swift departure.

cakeinmilk

It struck me there's a few of us in this thread who fairly regularly attend comedy in London. If there's any interest in joining a WhatsApp group to coordinate trips/ alert on upcoming shows, drop me a DM with your number and we can set something up?

MrMealDeal

Sam Campbell: Still Learning WIP at the Bill Murray

Bit of a change in direction for Campbell, with a subdued show examining fame and the break up of his long-term relationship. Some of it was thought-provoking but it was rarely funny. There was an uncharacteristic bitterness to a lot of this over-long show, unfortunately. Sorry, I made all of that up. This was a brilliant hour, full of invention and silliness. You wouldn't have known that this was a WIP except for the amount of times he looked at a scribbled bit of A4 perched on the stool next to him. The finished hour is going to be fantastic. Some of his delivery reminded me of Vic Reeves in Big Night Out for some reason, perhaps the absurdity married to the way he's prepared to abruptly drop one idea to start another one. His crowd work is excellent and I loved his use of multimedia - the highlight of the show was when
Spoiler alert
he trained the crowd to shout "yeah" or "ooooh" to pictures of toes, culminating in a Guitar-hero style singalong.
[close]
He didn't touch on Taskmasker that much, except to comment that
Spoiler alert
"it's a programme for kids and adults shouldn't be watching it".
[close]
Just a privilege to be in Sam Campbell's brain for an hour.

edwardfog

I was at that show too! I got reprimanded for coughing

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: edwardfog on October 23, 2023, 09:56:17 AMYeh I'd be up for that :)

Likewise (and have already sent my number).

Quote from: MrMealDeal on October 23, 2023, 01:10:03 PMSam Campbell: Still Learning WIP at the Bill Murray

Bit of a change in direction for Campbell, with a subdued show examining fame and the break up of his long-term relationship. Some of it was thought-provoking but it was rarely funny. There was an uncharacteristic bitterness to a lot of this over-long show, unfortunately. Sorry, I made all of that up. This was a brilliant hour, full of invention and silliness. You wouldn't have known that this was a WIP except for the amount of times he looked at a scribbled bit of A4 perched on the stool next to him. The finished hour is going to be fantastic. Some of his delivery reminded me of Vic Reeves in Big Night Out for some reason, perhaps the absurdity married to the way he's prepared to abruptly drop one idea to start another one. His crowd work is excellent and I loved his use of multimedia - the highlight of the show was when
Spoiler alert
he trained the crowd to shout "yeah" or "ooooh" to pictures of toes, culminating in a Guitar-hero style singalong.
[close]
He didn't touch on Taskmasker that much, except to comment that
Spoiler alert
"it's a programme for kids and adults shouldn't be watching it".
[close]
Just a privilege to be in Sam Campbell's brain for an hour.

You had me going for a second there! I'm seeing the show at The Bill Murray on Sunday and am really looking forward to it, and I'm also seeing Elf Lyons do a WIP beforehand so it should be a very memorable one. I was tempted to also get tickets for Chris Cantrill afterwards but I saw him do an early work in progress show last year and it was really rough around the edges, so I think I'm going to wait for the finished product this time.

Just a quickie, caught John Kearns at the weekend. Already been said but was a great show, my first time seeing his act in any length. Lots of turns and of phrase and gags being repeated in my household since seeing it.

I also liked how gentle he was with his audience interactions. Nice not to be quaking in fear in having to answer a basic question.

MrMealDeal

Quote from: edwardfog on October 23, 2023, 02:18:45 PMI was at that show too! I got reprimanded for coughing

Were you the guy with the Polish t-shirt that Sam said shouldn't be allowed?

edwardfog

No I didn't play the game. I was the coughing guy called Tim he said he knew. I thought I was getting over my chest infection but he made me laugh so hard it brought it back

Tiggles

Saw Paul Foot tonight at The Lowry. He did a short set of "normal" stuff before the interval, then Dissolve afterwards.

I enjoyed both of them, and he has definitely gone through something with Dissolve, hasn't he. There was a decent atmosphere with the audience but I do wonder if such a personal story is best told in a smaller venue.

There was also a couple of interruptions to the flow of both halves by a compulsive loud laugher at awkward moments. I'm sure it wasn't deliberate, as I've heard them at other Lowry gigs, but it does function a bit like a heckle in that the performer has to work out how to manage it and it injects unintentional tension. Paul was very gracious and careful in his management of the situation.

TL;DR - I'll probably see it again next year in a smaller venue and assess my feelings about Dissolve then.

cakeinmilk

I've had a busy week:

Ed Gamble WIP at Always Be Comedy for a tour beginning next year: Three or so ~20 minute unconnected routines about his honeymoon in Vegas (he didn't like it), his cat (he really likes it) and.. something else. I forget. Ed is pretty happy and married and his material is amusing but really lacks much depth. Mostly forgettable.

Olga Koch: Prawn Cocktail at Soho Theatre: very funny show about parasocial relationships and how she both did a Masters degree on it, and entered into one accidentally. Very neatly packaged, some excellent call backs and I'm excited to see what she does next.

Romesh Ranganathan WIP: just over an hour from Romesh. I think the last time I saw him live was 2011 in Wimbledon. He's come a fairly long way since and, although prompted from notes, this material seems really ready to go. He touches a bit on mental illness, race (a very good bit on the David Beckham documentary), and a lot of stuff on his relationship with his wife as per usual. Awfully good, though. Maybe I won't leave it 12 years next time.

Mixed bill of Sam Campbell, Celya AB, Tim Key: I'd mostly seen all Sam's and Celya's material before, but it was all still very strong stuff, and Celya's much more assured each time she delivers it. Sam is nuts. Tim busted out some old classics with a guy holding his beer can throughout, and then tried out some more Halloween-themed poems, only one of which failed to hit.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: cakeinmilk on October 27, 2023, 01:25:28 AMRomesh Ranganathan WIP: just over an hour from Romesh. I think the last time I saw him live was 2011 in Wimbledon. He's come a fairly long way since and, although prompted from notes, this material seems really ready to go. He touches a bit on mental illness, race (a very good bit on the David Beckham documentary), and a lot of stuff on his relationship with his wife as per usual. Awfully good, though. Maybe I won't leave it 12 years next time.

I remember being pleasantly surprised by his standup dvd (it was a gift!).  Starts off a bit crowdwork-y and a bit too much like Live at the Apollo but then he does a really incongruously harsh joke about his kids getting hurt and it really, really hits.

Feel like he's wasted on TV being shoved into every half thought out format going.

Small Man Big Horse

From last weekend:

Sam Campbell – Still Learning at The Bill Murray – I really loved this, it starts off really well as he announced himself in a silly manner from the back of the room and then leapt on stage for an hour of mad, hilarious comedy and it just got better and better and better. Or for fifty-five minutes it did at least, as there's some jokes in the final five minutes that were perhaps a little shaky (with Sam commenting that he was trying out some ideas that were still in their early stages), but even they were pretty great. 4.75/5 on the Campbell-o-Meter (ie I'd give anyone else 5/5, but compared to him at his very best it wasn't quite as perfect and polished as I know it can be). 4.75

Elf Lyons – Work In Progress at The Bill Murray – Elf's agent wants her to do more conventional stand up but she wants to muck about and do mad, strange and sometimes disturbing clowning. This leans far more to the former than her previous show Raven, with some stories about her unusual old Gran, her melodramatic mother and her seemingly lovely husband, before she does a few characters in the final 15 minutes. It's great, I really liked Raven and I really liked this too, I guess if pushed I'd say I prefer the stranger aspects of her comedy a little more, but it definitely proves she's got the comedic skills for traditional stand up as well. 4/5

CheekyKita – A Giant Octopus, the Universe & Other Spooky Stuff at The Old Red Lion Theatre, Angel - You've probably already guessed from the title that Cheekykita's latest hour isn't a conventional show, but that's a big part of what makes it so unique. There's a real sense of absurd originality here, it's a weird, daft, mad chunk of comedy, a very funny, very silly, and very enjoyable work, but explaining just why I enjoyed it so much is a lot more difficult than if I was reviewing a conventional stand up show. It's also undoubtedly an acquired taste and many might hate it, but it was just what I needed the night I saw it. 4.25/5

edwardfog

Phil Ellis - Phil Ellis's Excellent Comedy Show
My first time seeing Phil live. He's a real comedian's comedian of the northern wave or whatever it's called, beloved of cool acts like The Delightful Sausage and Ed Night. He's been gradually building a base and scored a glowing Steve Bennett review and a best show nomination at the Fringe this year, so my hopes were high. ...And he's clearly a very funny guy, but I was surprised this show in particular was doing so well as it felt pretty thrown-together at times. He performs in a skimpy catsuit with a two man backing band, and punctuates routines by singing the choruses of some hit songs. There's not much linking the routines in a narrative sense. And the closing joke is a long way to go for a pretty small payoff imo. I do think he's a very funny performer - his asides and body language are hilarious and seem to land much more frequently than the written jokes, which are good but only occasionally raise big laughs. He seems like a performer who really needs the alchemy of a small cramped room. Soho Downstairs is perhaps a little big for him to really kill. I'll definitely catch him again next time he's in town as there's clearly something special about him, but this show felt undercooked to me. Would be very interested in others' opinions on this show or the man's work in general

CaledonianGonzo

Saw Lord Christian Brighty a few weeks back and on the whole enjoyed it as a silly piece of knockabout fun

As far as I could tell it was his 2022 hour and a WIP for his 2024 show sort of smooshed together and while I'd have probably preferred seeing a tight 60 of one or t'other, he's dealing in very endearing daftness.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 15, 2023, 10:01:33 AMViggo Venn: Tour Preview at Soho Theatre, 9.30pm - I deliberately went in to this knowing very little about the man, having only previously seen his very first appearance on Britain's Got Talent, and based on this it seems a bit mad he won. He comes across as an extremely likeable guy, but the material was stretched almost to breaking point, and relied enormously on audience participation. I guess that means it'll be quite different every night, but last night was fairly sketchy, with one guy who had to play a vicar not really understanding what was going on and that led to a comedy black hole. Then there's a bit where he impersonates people's cars which had a fairly okay pay off, but the only segment which really got the audience going was where he played Eminem's "My name is..." and shoved a microphone in someone's face and got them to say their name, which was then sampled, and the song played back while he suggested what kind of person they were. It sounds shit I know but this was the only time he really shone, his mimicry was quite inspired, and it was the only time I found myself laughing a lot.
There's a little bit more to it than the above but I can't be arsed to typing it out, my ticket was extremely cheap (as in under a fiver) and I found him intriguing, but I kept on thinking if I'd paid £20+ I'd have been very unimpressed. So, um, if you can see it really cheaply I'd say it was a 3.25/5 show, if you pay £20+ it'll be a 2/5 at best, unless the audience members he gets on stage are really on form.

I saw him in Bristol last night -- not sure if it's part of the tour proper since it was a double-bill with Julia Masli (she did her 2022 show Choosh!, which I know has been raved about on here before but it really is so, so good, and I utterly adored it) plus tickets were only £18 for both shows. But yeah, completely agree. At its peak it's really, really funny, and we had a good audience in last night who were up for the audience participation side of things, but it definitely felt like there were too few bits stretched across the hour. The "My Name Is" bit went on so long it felt like he was just spinning things out until it was time for the grand finale. The vicar didn't get what he was meant to be doing either -- presumably deliberate vagueness on Venn's part -- but it was a funny bit overall (the groom was VERY game, and Venn's escalating explanations of what the vicar should've been doing really helped).

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: waste of chops on November 10, 2023, 04:15:05 PMI saw him in Bristol last night -- not sure if it's part of the tour proper since it was a double-bill with Julia Masli (she did her 2022 show Choosh!, which I know has been raved about on here before but it really is so, so good, and I utterly adored it) plus tickets were only £18 for both shows. But yeah, completely agree. At its peak it's really, really funny, and we had a good audience in last night who were up for the audience participation side of things, but it definitely felt like there were too few bits stretched across the hour. The "My Name Is" bit went on so long it felt like he was just spinning things out until it was time for the grand finale. The vicar didn't get what he was meant to be doing either -- presumably deliberate vagueness on Venn's part -- but it was a funny bit overall (the groom was VERY game, and Venn's escalating explanations of what the vicar should've been doing really helped).

Thinking about it I get the feeling with my vicar that he was a bit overwhelmed, he seemed smart enough but I was in the second row and could hear everything Viggo was telling him to do, but he just didn't get it for ages. And yeah, he really took the piss with "My Name Is", it's his funniest bit but by the twentieth time it was beginning to get repetitive.

Small Man Big Horse

Big Break Comedy presents Kristen Toomey at 2Northdown - Bit of an odd one this as it was on at 2Northdown on a Sunday evening from 5pm to 7pm, and sold as a gig featuring three comedians from Chicago. So I thought two of them would do twenty minutes and the third maybe 50 minutes, but in fact it was a mixed bill gig that featured those comedians but two based in the UK as well.
Dr. Jackie Linn - The MC of the night, she seemed nervous and kept on insisting we were having a fun night, yeah? Also she didn't really do much material and sucked the air out of the room inbetween acts, which was a shame as the one bit of material she did before the headliner came on was really, really great. So she may well be a fantastic comic, but on the strength of tonight's performance I could only rate her 2/5
Jake Steers - A bit of a weird set as he kept on getting distracted by the fact that he'd been at Butlins the night before and was amazed he survived the journey to London giving how fucked up he'd been 12 hours earlier. The prepared material was just about okay, but it was all far too haphazard a set and I've no urge to see him again. 2/5
Prateek Srivastava - Whereas Srivastava delivered a very strong set, he did a lot of material about his beard but understandably so, I kid you not in that it's one of the most beautiful pieces of hair I've ever seen. He also commented on what it's like to be accused of looking like a terrorist, and bits and pieces on life in America, and I thought he was consistently funny throughout. 4/5
Philipp Kostelecky - I saw his show earlier this year and really liked it, he has a confident charm that makes you feel in safe hands, and I've a feeling if he continues to improve he could be pretty fantastic one day. 4/5
Kristen Toomey - The headliner, but she only did about twenty minutes or so, which was a shame as I really liked her a lot. It was a laugh heavy set where she mocked America from the perspective of a fortysomething divorcee, and though it was a little heavy on sex gags otherwise I was impressed with her stance on existence. 4/5

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: edwardfog on November 07, 2023, 11:15:01 PMPhil Ellis - Phil Ellis's Excellent Comedy Show
Would be very interested in others' opinions on this show or the man's work in general

I saw this in Edinburgh but it was a bit of an odd show owing to a punter collapsing about 15 minutes in and looking like he was going to give up the ghost.

Phil managed to finish the show and turn the vibe back around (more or less) but it probably wasn't his best afternoon.

edwardfog

Christopher MacArthur-Boyd - Scary Times
Best show yet from the cream of the crop of the contemporary Scottish scene. CMB is not a super ambitious crafter of shows but the routines are dynamite and he has such a high hit rate with the crowd, he's one of those comics who feels like he could work any room in any town, whether they're followers of Stewart Lee or Mickey Flanagan. This show is a lot about being Scottish with a few classic scrapes thrown in. The titular theme is kind of there but not really; this is just some great classic routines strung together and it's hard to say much more about it. His delivery really brings it to life: he kind of squints and grimaces and does a bunch of different voices really well.

I think there's another strata he could break through if he was a little less worried about being pretentious. Like he could do a little more with structure and formal elements in a way that would enhance the show without compromising his persona. But if you're looking for a very good straight stand-up show, this is an excellent option. He's got one more show in London on Friday, apparently four tickets left, I highly recommend it.

edwardfog

Heads up, comedy fans, my favourite comedian (tied with Sam Campbell) Johnny White Really-Really is doing three nights of his show Catland at the Pleasance in London in January. The most unique comic mind in this country. It's not going to be for everyone but everyone should see him at least once

Quote from: edwardfog on November 14, 2023, 11:31:47 PMChristopher MacArthur-Boyd

I was the stand-in tech for a venue during previews the day before the Fringe started a couple of years ago - CMB had a single-figure audience and it was still one of the most instantly relaxed environments I've ever seen. He's great in the room.

flotemysost

Saw John Roberston - The Dark Room at Soho Theatre last night. I know the show's been doing the rounds for years (though I'd not seen it before, and didn't know much about it/Robertson); I guess the format's nothing particularly groundbreaking or unique, and I've seen a good few other shows in a similar vein (mildly geeky theme, gamified audience participation, slightly unhinged host), but I'm a bit of a sucker for gimmicky interactive chaotic improv-y shit, so I enjoyed it.

His crowd work is really the meat of the show and he does it well, maintaining the "antagonistic" persona with lots of warmth, though I guess he's had plenty of practice. It's back at the same venue in January, fyi.

Also I've only just seen this

Quote from: cakeinmilk on October 23, 2023, 12:39:05 AMIt struck me there's a few of us in this thread who fairly regularly attend comedy in London. If there's any interest in joining a WhatsApp group to coordinate trips/ alert on upcoming shows, drop me a DM with your number and we can set something up?

but that's a nice idea, I'd be down :) I know I don't post in here much and I'm certainly nowhere near as knowledgeable an aficionado as most of you lot, but I'm always up for recs and trying out new stuff and having people to go along with - will wang over my number if this is still on.