Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 16, 2024, 05:22:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The new "What Stand Up Have You Seen Lately?" thread

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 16, 2016, 08:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Tiggles on June 10, 2024, 08:57:44 PMThen I had to go home, sadly. Did anyone else catch any of this?

Sadly not though I really like Olga Koch and Stevie Martin, I was supposed to see the latter a couple of weeks ago but the WIP she was doing at 2Northdown was cancelled. I'm glad to hear you really enjoyed it though, and will definitely try and catch her before Edinburgh.

Tiggles

Thanks both! We're definitely in WIP season, aren't we.

Pink Gregory

Chippenham Comedy Festival acts!

Seen before - Sooz Kempner, Louise Leigh (who's great), Robin Ince, Eddie French, Katie Mitchell, Dani Johns, Nate Kitsch (who's fucking brilliant)

Not seen before - Stephen Carlin, Stephanie Laing, Burt Williamson, Phil Ellis, Catriona Dowden, David Hoare

Mitch Benn is finishing the festival and I'm a bit conflicted about whether to bother or not.  One the one hand, he's a tedious centrist dad and the Now Show was a load of old wank, his songs included, on the other hand comedians seem to like him.  Worth a go?

Small Man Big Horse

From Always Be Comedy last night:

Kevin Eldon - Work In Progress - Lots of silly but enjoyable gags, with a high energy performance and some great physical comedy, 90% of this really worked for me and there's only the odd mis-fire, which is to be expected from a WIP. I'd happily see the finished show as well, but I can imagine 60 minutes would be my limit and I do find him a bit exhausting. Still, this was great, and it was a real pleasure to see Eldon really enjoying himself while performing live after all this time. 4/5

Stewart Lee - Work In Progress - I find it difficult to review Lee as for me he's one of the funniest comedians we've ever produced, and even a joke which is only quite good is better than the best gags of many of other acts. But this was a very uneven set, it started with some extremely strong material about it being pointless to write anything about the Conservatives as they're about to fall from power, but Labour have yet to inevitably disappoint us, before leading in to a routine about about the death of the Queen, his special being taken off the schedule by the BBC, and a segment on Paddington Bear and Prince Andrew that made me laugh incredibly hard.
But then was a part where he was performing older material (the Taxi Driver said to me / Examples of people "Coming Over Here" throughout history) that I'd heard before, I think he might have tweaked them very slightly, but it was when I noticed I wasn't laughing as much as I had been up until to that part. He then ends with a bit of audience interaction which tonight was very funny, but also made me feel a bit sorry for the audience member he'd chosen. So, um, this a tough one to rate, I guess I'd give it 4/5, because I did enjoy seeing him, but at the same time that's a low rating for a comedian who's made me laugh so much over the past thirty odd years.

Tiggles

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 13, 2024, 07:08:41 AMFrom Always Be Comedy last night:

Kevin Eldon - Work In Progress - Lots of silly but enjoyable gags, with a high energy performance and some great physical comedy, 90% of this really worked for me and there's only the odd mis-fire, which is to be expected from a WIP. I'd happily see the finished show as well, but I can imagine 60 minutes would be my limit and I do find him a bit exhausting. Still, this was great, and it was a real pleasure to see Eldon really enjoying himself while performing live after all this time. 4/5

Stewart Lee - Work In Progress - I find it difficult to review Lee as for me he's one of the funniest comedians we've ever produced, and even a joke which is only quite good is better than the best gags of many of other acts. But this was a very uneven set, it started with some extremely strong material about it being pointless to write anything about the Conservatives as they're about to fall from power, but Labour have yet to inevitably disappoint us, before leading in to a routine about about the death of the Queen, his special being taken off the schedule by the BBC, and a segment on Paddington Bear and Prince Andrew that made me laugh incredibly hard.
But then was a part where he was performing older material (the Taxi Driver said to me / Examples of people "Coming Over Here" throughout history) that I'd heard before, I think he might have tweaked them very slightly, but it was when I noticed I wasn't laughing as much as I had been up until to that part. He then ends with a bit of audience interaction which tonight was very funny, but also made me feel a bit sorry for the audience member he'd chosen. So, um, this a tough one to rate, I guess I'd give it 4/5, because I did enjoy seeing him, but at the same time that's a low rating for a comedian who's made me laugh so much over the past thirty odd years.

Hope I'm able to see that Kevin Eldon set at some point.

The Stewart Lee WIP stuff sounds pretty much lifted straight out of Basic Lee, which I saw very recently, bar the older, tweaked stuff you mention. I'm dead curious to see when he starts actually writing/ testing stuff for his next show at greater length, did he seem to be trying anything out for the first time?

non capisco

Quote from: Tiggles on June 13, 2024, 08:37:40 AMThe Stewart Lee WIP stuff sounds pretty much lifted straight out of Basic Lee, which I saw very recently, bar the older, tweaked stuff you mention. I'm dead curious to see when he starts actually writing/ testing stuff for his next show at greater length, did he seem to be trying anything out for the first time?

It was all old stuff (the Basic Lee material at the start plus the two Comedy Vehicle 'greatest hits' bits) apart from the brief bit of crowd work at the end based around whether or not innate evil exists which he said is essentially going to be the theme for the werewolf show he's writing at the moment. I really enjoyed seeing him in a venue that small but, yeah, was a bit disappointed that it wasn't the run through of the new show that I'd been expecting before this week (although, tbf, don't think it was advertised by Always Be Comedy as such and I know he's due to be doing WIPs of that later in the year, he said last night after July).

Thought Eldon was great, very enjoyable burst of concentrated daftness. The
Spoiler alert
"I've soiled myself on three occasions during my adult life....what a night that was!"
[close]
gag delivered in the style of Denis Norden is one for the 'childish pathetic stuff you find funny because you're childish and pathetic' thread.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: non capisco on June 13, 2024, 09:06:37 AMIt was all old stuff (the Basic Lee material at the start plus the two Comedy Vehicle 'greatest hits' bits) apart from the brief bit of crowd work at the end based around whether or not innate evil exists which he said is essentially going to be the theme for the werewolf show he's writing at the moment. I really enjoyed seeing him in a venue that small but, yeah, was a bit disappointed that it wasn't the run through of the new show that I'd been expecting before this week (although, tbf, don't think it was advertised by Always Be Comedy as such and I know he's due to be doing WIPs of that later in the year, he said last night after July).

Ah, I didn't realise that about the start being from Basic Lee, I guess that's why I enjoyed it so much as it was tried and tested material, and I'd definitely have been disappointed if it had been all routines that I'd seen before.

Quote from: non capisco on June 13, 2024, 09:06:37 AMThought Eldon was great, very enjoyable burst of concentrated daftness. The
Spoiler alert
gag delivered in the style of Denis Norden
[close]
is one for the 'childish pathetic stuff you find funny because you're childish and pathetic' thread.

Absolutely agreed with you there, and the joke in spoiler tags was a lovely gag, so silly but one which worked every time!

Snrub

John Kearns - The Varnishing Days at The Lowry

John is absolutely one of my favourite comedians, and this is the second time I've seen him on this tour as a friend said he really wanted to go. I've never seen the same tour live twice I don't think and it was quite nice to see it at each bookend - I think his first Salford date was in the first week or so in the smallest room and tonight in one bigger was the last date of all

He was on fine form, and clearly enjoying a lot of it. Seemed to be less chatter with the audience than I remember but still a couple of gems in there as there always is.

Interesting when he took the wig off at the end and gave a few words of thanks, I couldn't tell if he was glad it's all over as it was his biggest tour ever and says he's unlikely to do one as big again, or if it was a bit bittersweet as he probably was knackered - and he said in a lot of ways his life has moved on since writing it ("as does everyone's in 18 months"). Probably just a small reflective moment in a still superb show.

It'll be on Sky/Now TV in the autumn

Tiggles

Quote from: Snrub on June 13, 2024, 11:16:22 PMJohn Kearns - The Varnishing Days at The Lowry

John is absolutely one of my favourite comedians, and this is the second time I've seen him on this tour as a friend said he really wanted to go. I've never seen the same tour live twice I don't think and it was quite nice to see it at each bookend - I think his first Salford date was in the first week or so in the smallest room and tonight in one bigger was the last date of all

He was on fine form, and clearly enjoying a lot of it. Seemed to be less chatter with the audience than I remember but still a couple of gems in there as there always is.

Interesting when he took the wig off at the end and gave a few words of thanks, I couldn't tell if he was glad it's all over as it was his biggest tour ever and says he's unlikely to do one as big again, or if it was a bit bittersweet as he probably was knackered - and he said in a lot of ways his life has moved on since writing it ("as does everyone's in 18 months"). Probably just a small reflective moment in a still superb show.

It'll be on Sky/Now TV in the autumn

Was at this, and it was the second time for me too. When I saw it last autumn I immediately knew I wanted to see it again, it's one of my absolute favourite things in comedy. Loved it tonight, thought John was incredible and it was very poignant at the end. What a ride it's been for him. Just a perfect show and I can't wait for it to be on Now later this year.

andy33

Quote from: Tiggles on June 13, 2024, 11:34:22 PMWas at this, and it was the second time for me too. When I saw it last autumn I immediately knew I wanted to see it again, it's one of my absolute favourite things in comedy. Loved it tonight, thought John was incredible and it was very poignant at the end. What a ride it's been for him. Just a perfect show and I can't wait for it to be on Now later this year.

I was at this as well, but as a first timer. Thought it was great, obviously, but am intrigued by his nod to returning audience members: "You're going to be so disappointed when you find out which bits weren't improvised". (Paraphrasing, but sentiment is correct.) Any idea of some bits he might have been referring to here? I thought I could broadly tell which bits were tight script, which were rehearsed improvisation and which were entirely off-the-cuff. But did anything surprise either of you seeing him again?

Such a terrific, warm show. He's an exceptional performer.

Snrub

Quote from: andy33 on June 14, 2024, 12:28:17 AMI was at this as well, but as a first timer. Thought it was great, obviously, but am intrigued by his nod to returning audience members: "You're going to be so disappointed when you find out which bits weren't improvised". (Paraphrasing, but sentiment is correct.) Any idea of some bits he might have been referring to here? I thought I could broadly tell which bits were tight script, which were rehearsed improvisation and which were entirely off-the-cuff. But did anything surprise either of you seeing him again?

I wish I had a better memory for stuff like this. I think like you I could tell the difference between your three categories in the main but nothing really comes to mind that tripped me up.

There was one bit that I thought was a "fake improvisation" where he talked about reading an article about the fragrances cheats are most likely to wear. Even though he brought it up without a punchline, I could have sworn he'd done something like about an article in the paper "recently" when I saw him at the start of the tour, but I just googled it and it genuinely was in The Times earlier this week as he said.

Reflecting more on his thoughts at the end after I posted last night, and when I went to go see this tour the first time, my wife was 7 months pregnant with our second child, and on the second run that child is now comfortably over a year old, whilst John's child of course remains "one" the entire time and having to relive those thoughts on Fatherhood of a very specific time 130+ times, when new ones are bubbling away. Probably part of why he was so reflective at the end.

andy33

Quote from: Snrub on June 14, 2024, 03:14:44 PMI wish I had a better memory for stuff like this. I think like you I could tell the difference between your three categories in the main but nothing really comes to mind that tripped me up.

There was one bit that I thought was a "fake improvisation" where he talked about reading an article about the fragrances cheats are most likely to wear. Even though he brought it up without a punchline, I could have sworn he'd done something like about an article in the paper "recently" when I saw him at the start of the tour, but I just googled it and it genuinely was in The Times earlier this week as he said.

Reflecting more on his thoughts at the end after I posted last night, and when I went to go see this tour the first time, my wife was 7 months pregnant with our second child, and on the second run that child is now comfortably over a year old, whilst John's child of course remains "one" the entire time and having to relive those thoughts on Fatherhood of a very specific time 130+ times, when new ones are bubbling away. Probably part of why he was so reflective at the end.

Interesting. Thanks for the reply. Yeah, as the father of a 4-year-old boy myself, I felt exactly the same about the kid stuff. When you think about it, probably about half the show was that extended riff (with multiple diversions) about the 1-year=old and the wine bottle, and it must feel so very odd performing that, then going home to a totally changed kid, even taking normal artistic licence into account.

The bit I was most wondering about was the
Spoiler alert
response to the Snowman plot description. I have to assume he's got various lines depending on the detail (or otherwise) of the audience member's Snowman memory. But that, "Have you got somewhere to be?" was just great.
[close]

non capisco

Saw a mixed bill in Dalston on Thursday that was decidedly mixed alright but feel like I have to single out Jin Hao Li as a definite highlight, I thought he was excellent. Loved the weirdo energy delivered with a kind of unruffled, cocky nonchalance. Also felt good to come in for some light ridicule after laughing hard at a bit he preceded with "nobody laugh".

CaledonianGonzo

Catherine Bohart's new show is terrific. For a mainstream, unshowy act she's genuinely one of the best out there.

dlm86

Just back from a couple of days at Bristol Comedy Gardens. Firstly for the standard of line ups throughout each show the ticket price was more than worth it. I think they have got the set up nailed and am looking forward to heading to the iterations in Cambridge and Manchester later on in the year.

Highlights for me:
Jin Hao Li - they were on an stacked line up on the Friday and absolutely smashed it. If they don't walk away with a Fringe nomination or award come August I will be shocked.

David O'Doherty - first time I have seen him live. That good that I have bought tour show tickets for next year.

Lindsey Santoro - second time I have seen them and just as good as last time. I felt bad for the acts that followed. Had the crowd from the first word.

DrGreggles

kitsofan34

Londoners! Remove yourself from the endless smog for one blissful hour as forum mainstay, zomgmouse, known to others as Ben Volchok, performs at the Museum of Comedy on July 21st. It's a smog free show. I highly recommend it.

https://museumofcomedy.ticketsolve.com/ticketbooth/shows/873646394

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: kitsofan34 on June 16, 2024, 02:48:01 PMLondoners! Remove yourself from the endless smog for one blissful hour as forum mainstay, zomgmouse, known to others as Ben Volchok, performs at the Museum of Comedy on July 21st. It's a smog free show. I highly recommend it.

https://museumofcomedy.ticketsolve.com/ticketbooth/shows/873646394

I'm going to be there and am very much looking forward to it, and I promise to either have a brief friendly chat or completely ignore anyone else who comes along, depending on whatever their preference is.

non capisco

I'm unfortunately not in the UK then, sorry to miss it as zomgmouse is a good dude and his shows always sound intriguing.

Small Man Big Horse

Lou Taylor: Jeans and a Nice Top (WIP) at The Bill Murray - Beginning with reminiscing about the one time she was in the audience for 90's saturday morning kids show Live and Kicking, this is a nostalgia filled hour for Taylor's teenage years. Yet though she has some really great videos and some solid jokes, it's a show that I liked rather than loved as it's the kind of material that many other comedians have covered a good deal in the past. 3.5/5

Steen Raskopoulos - WIP at The Bill Murray - I really love Steen and this impressed again, even if it is still building from a WIP I saw him do last year, though it has come on a lot since then and only two parts felt familiar. The only downside is the way the show ends with a bit of audience participation that I absolutely wasn't onboard for, and which spoilt it slightly, though otherwise it was fantastic and with the ending ymmv. 4.5/5

Pull My Goldfinger at Hen and Chickens Theatre - Way too much pointless extended nudity, and Bond parodies that lacked much invention, oddly there were a couple of strong bits of clowning so it wasn't all bad, but there was an awful lot of weak audience participation and skits which failed to impress. 1.5/5

Memorex MP3

Whole bunch of WIPs for the new Natalie Palamides show at the Soho Theatre on sale now; bit surprised there hasn't been a bit of a rush from them, thought Nate was a bit of a hit on Netflix

edwardfog

She already did a reasonably long WIP run there not too long ago, so she may have just started to tap out the audience who are willing to spend that much on a WIP. I think Soho Theatre is maybe not a great fit for WIP shows in general, and certainly not as an exclusive venue.

That said it's shaping up to be another strong show and is def worth catching in some form

Nate wasn't exactly hard to get tickets for there either. The 2019 run ended up on seat filling sites.

Small Man Big Horse

I loved Nate and I definitely want to see her again, but as Edwardfog mentioned I don't think the Soho Theatre's a good fit for work in progress shows, people are used to them at places like The Bill Murray or ABC but not at a venue like that.

Off to see Olga Koch, Hannah Platt and Alexander Bennett this evening and have no idea what to expect from the latter two, but a friend recommended them and is coming along so hopefully it'll be a decent night out.

Small Man Big Horse

Olga Koch - Comes From Money (WIP) at Top Secret, Dury Lane - A very strong hour that feels complete, if this is a work in progress it surely has to be at the point where she's now just polishing material which already made me laugh a lot. The set up is that back in Russia she grew up rich, and speaks about what that included, but also how she struggles with how she feels about it now, while being very aware of the level or privilege she has simply by having that kind of background. It's all handled in a very self aware manner, as she she rattled through a great deal of very funny material during the hour, if I had a complaint she occasionally comments on a joke which didn't quite get the response she was hoping for, and I'm never fond of comedians doing that, but it was a minor aspect in the scheme of things and otherwise it was something I'd highly recommend. 4.25/5

Hannah Platt (WIP) at The Camden Head, Camden - This is Platt's debut hour but it already feels like the work of a far more experienced comedian. Based around having been diagnosed with body dysmorphia, it's a show which takes a very deep dive in to what that's like, Platt's struggles with depression and what she was like growing up. It takes some dark turns occasionally, but the sheer honesty and manner in which she discusses the material means I think she's going to be someone who very quickly begins to receive huge acclaim. 4.25/5

I also saw Alexander Bennett's WIP, but I'm going to come back to that once I've worked out quite how I felt about it, as I spent the entire show on stage with him, answering questions about my life perhaps too honestly, and I'm not quite sure how I feel about that now.

MrMealDeal

Olga Koch Comes from Money (WIP)
Olga Koch's father was the deputy PM of Russia and one of the architects of the rapacious privatization of the 1990s. Here she devotes an entertaining hour to thinking through her feelings about growing up rich. It's a good hour, full of good gags and well crafted call-backs. But at the same time, I felt she was using her strengths as a comedian to keep difficult conversations at bay. Quite often, uncomfortable personal stories served as fodder for another punchline. Perhaps I'm being unfair: this is a comedy show and it made me laugh a lot. And Olga Koch doesn't owe the audience anything. But I think the show would have been weightier if she'd been willing to be more uncomfortable. I saw an earlier WIP which was weaker comedically but more revealing about Koch's feelings about her family history. I just wish she had dwelt a bit longer in that ambivalent space. In the end, I enjoyed the show a lot and think that Olga Koch is a brilliant stand-up and performer. All the same, I was left with unresolved thoughts about the ways that comedians can use jokes to disclose truths or to deflect them.

Tiggles

Quote from: MrMealDeal on June 19, 2024, 02:31:17 PMOlga Koch Comes from Money (WIP)
Olga Koch's father was the deputy PM of Russia and one of the architects of the rapacious privatization of the 1990s. Here she devotes an entertaining hour to thinking through her feelings about growing up rich. It's a good hour, full of good gags and well crafted call-backs. But at the same time, I felt she was using her strengths as a comedian to keep difficult conversations at bay. Quite often, uncomfortable personal stories served as fodder for another punchline. Perhaps I'm being unfair: this is a comedy show and it made me laugh a lot. And Olga Koch doesn't owe the audience anything. But I think the show would have been weightier if she'd been willing to be more uncomfortable. I saw an earlier WIP which was weaker comedically but more revealing about Koch's feelings about her family history. I just wish she had dwelt a bit longer in that ambivalent space. In the end, I enjoyed the show a lot and think that Olga Koch is a brilliant stand-up and performer. All the same, I was left with unresolved thoughts about the ways that comedians can use jokes to disclose truths or to deflect them.

I had exactly the same thoughts when I saw this show as a WIP recently, and am similarly unresolved about them. Are there many other shows where the comedian has reflected meaningfully on their privilege in a way that doesn't end up being superficial or self-serving, even if it's very funny, and is it even possible to do so?