Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

May 26, 2024, 07:52:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Extremely small moments in comedy that make you laugh way more than intended

Started by Tikwid, May 01, 2018, 01:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buttgammon

It's more a small motif than a single moment, but Seinfeld has a recurring theme that George injured his hamstring by sleeping in a hotel bed where the sheets were tucked too tightly. In one episode where he's aroused by a massage from a male masseuse he absently says "hamstring...hotel" when explaining how he hurt it and a series or two later, he makes a big song and dance about the sheets when he and Jerry are staying at a hotel in LA.

Puce Moment

In an early episode of Curb, Larry goes for dinner with a group including his Uncle (I think). This guy orders the 'Fish frenzy' which I am sure was ad-libbed and not on the menu.

LepusRex

I have one, which makes me laugh so hard, every time I see it, that I have to pause the film: In "Grosse Point Plank" (1997), there's a scene where a Basque assassin is infiltrating a class reunion, and chooses a random name tag as he enters.

"It is I... Sidney Feldman."


Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Season 2 episode 4 of Killinascully. Dieter and Miss Fahey have broken up and he's sleeping in his cheese van. Bluesy saxophone plays as the scene switches back and forth between Dieter struggling to get comfortable and Miss Fahey tossing angrily in bed. At last an anguished Dieter calls out, "PA! Some of us are trying to sleep! You know?"

Cut to Pa Connors leaning against the cheese van, playing the saxophone music we've been hearing.

"Sorry boss!"

kalowski

Jenny by Flight of the Conchords is full of little moments, mainly from Jermaine. The three that stick out for me are
1. The "La, la, la" moment when he's stuck for words,
2. The throwaway gag, "When we made, oh we made such sweet, sweet sandwiches"
3. After the "We went for a walk" his "On our feet if I remember correctly"

Just magic.

g0m

https://youtu.be/oxFE4--BHnw

This whole bit is great but Dennis looking to Dee and Frank and gesturing with his hands like he's trying to bring them onboard is what always gets me

gmoney

Quote from: kalowski on June 22, 2020, 10:24:20 PM
Jenny by Flight of the Conchords is full of little moments, mainly from Jermaine. The three that stick out for me are
1. The "La, la, la" moment when he's stuck for words,
2. The throwaway gag, "When we made, oh we made such sweet, sweet sandwiches"
3. After the "We went for a walk" his "On our feet if I remember correctly"

Just magic.

Yes, in some ways it's a shame they couldn't fit it into the series, but I think it's my favourite of theirs, maybe because I don't hear it as often.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

#Her roommate Steve masturbated himself to death
So Carla moved in and changed her name to Beth

Fr.Bigley


MikkiDisco

https://youtu.be/RytKSKg6OgI

The way Pierce drops the gun like Michael Corleone had me giggling for a fucking age, it was the moment I went from liking Community to loving it.

petril

Bob Mortimer's nervous chancer delivery in the bleeeeeeuuuuuuooooowww kitchen from the OG Masterchef sketch, a tiny, almost subtle bit of setup that makes the reveal so good

JesuitWrangler

Quote from: Pink Gregory on November 04, 2019, 03:59:02 PM
There's a panel in Achewood which is a list of emails that Ray has sent to Roast Beef, typical 'look at this!' spam, but my favourite RE: says 'Hero, or Fatso?"
Achewood is full of marvellous little moments like that, Onstad has such a talent for making the characters feel real in all their ridiculousness but not too cartoonish.

I was obsessed with it in my formative years, I don't think anything has had a bigger impact on my sense of humour than Achewood.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: JesuitWrangler on July 11, 2020, 07:44:07 PM
Achewood is full of marvellous little moments like that, Onstad has such a talent for making the characters feel real in all their ridiculousness but not too cartoonish.

I was obsessed with it in my formative years, I don't think anything has had a bigger impact on my sense of humour than Achewood.

"Funny song about playing dice"

The Mollusk

Achewood was also great at really nailing emotional detail in the character's faces. Even with secondary characters, and even though the character designs are so simple, Onstad always paid care and attention to bring as much realism to that minimalist aesthetic.

Téodor in particular always had a very expressive face because he's so insecure and highly-strung, but also has strong social intelligence. I love it when he gets smug with Ray, there's so much humour conveyed in just the simple lines of his eyebrows.

Another less subtle but still great one is when Ray revamps Lyle's taco stand into a clinical, sanitary affair. After he gives the demonstration and serves the taco, Lyle's face is one of such immense disappointment.

"Here's your taco. We did all we could."
"Lyle! Don't talk about the taco like it died!"

Bad Ambassador


JesuitWrangler

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 11, 2020, 11:44:40 PM
Another less subtle but still great one is when Ray revamps Lyle's taco stand into a clinical, sanitary affair. After he gives the demonstration and serves the taco, Lyle's face is one of such immense disappointment.

"Here's your taco. We did all we could."
"Lyle! Don't talk about the taco like it died!"

You're exactly right. Onstad had an incredible ability to do an awful lot with very little, whether that's one or two lines of dialogue or a furrowed brow on a face. On top of that I found his journeys into the macabre or surreal to be really well formulated and not too hokey or sinister.

I'm actually in awe of how consistent Achewood was in it's prime. It's a remarkable feat how he was able to be so consistently imaginative AND funny over a so many years.


Twit 2

The bit in this superb adaptation of Pinter's incredible Celebration when Colin Firth says "Fantastic!"

famethrowa

Quote from: Twit 2 on July 28, 2020, 11:15:48 PM
The bit in this superb adaptation of Pinter's incredible Celebration when Colin Firth says "Fantastic!"

Did she say "my mother was a shrubbery"??


The Mollusk

I don't think it's "extremely" small but I've been watching Brian Pern over the last week or so, and there's a bit in a live performance that comes up several times (mostly when it's mentioned that Pern invented "world music") with Tony Way in a pork pie hat doing an African chant which is one of the funniest little bits of the whole show for me.

Cuellar

The 'BUY A PAPER, ANTHONY' bit in The Day Today - the angrily triumphant 'I'VE GOT IT...I'VE GOT THE - MIRROR' as Anthony flees from the newsagent. The little pause between 'I've got the' and 'Mirror' cracks me up big time, no idea why

https://youtu.be/rguQFPnPIYc?t=235

Puce Moment

In this Seinfeld episode Jerry and George meet Elaine's terrifying father and had a long and agonisingly procracted conversation with him. Jerry has enough and makes an excuse to go to the bathroom. I love George's grabbing of the arm, but it is Jerry's quick and violent response that really makes me laugh.

From 2:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkqngcYwJnU


kalowski

Quote from: bgmnts on August 27, 2020, 12:48:33 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3D6Qc6uByo

2:31

"Put some struzzi on."
I know what this is without watching. One of the greatest routines ever.
"Tell him we're busy...tell him it's a stick up. A ha ha ha ha!"

The Mollusk

On the League of Gentlemen, hospital DJ Mike King (Shearsmith) asks Les (Gatiss) to remind him the name of the minor hit Creme Brûlée had. Les excitedly tells him it's Telephone Tears and Mike replies with fake enthusiasm, "Telephone Teeears!"

Deffo a testament to Shearsmith's genius that I find the delivery of stupid little bits like that so funny.

Hand Solo

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 02, 2020, 11:46:21 AM
"Telephone Teeears!"

D'you reckon it's a pisstake on ELO's Telephone Line? Since they're a pisstake 70s band.

But then you've got Ween literally doing a song called Voodoo Lady before the LOG became a thing.

The Mollusk

I've never been the biggest fan of Ween's Voodoo Lady and think it's one of their most overrated songs. I genuinely have always believed that if it sounded more like the Creme Brûlée song I would enjoy it a lot more. "Black magic chiiiillld..."

"We've just written this great reggae tune, Jamaican Ginger Cake" is another belter of a line as well.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 02, 2020, 02:18:22 PM
I've never been the biggest fan of Ween's Voodoo Lady and think it's one of their most overrated songs. I genuinely have always believed that if it sounded more like the Creme Brûlée song I would enjoy it a lot more. "Black magic chiiiillld..."

"We've just written this great reggae tune, Jamaican Ginger Cake" is another belter of a line as well.

"Is there anything round the back?"

"Oh yeah"

*Les smiles*..

...."a Fiesta wi' it's engine fucked"

Puce Moment

More Seinfeld I'm afraid.

I love this entire scene because of Newman, naturally. I just adore the way he says "Lala Land .... LA" turning to Elaine as if she wouldn't know what it means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9wu4RHqMTI&ab_channel=JohnDoe