Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

February 26, 2024, 09:29:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Extremely small moments in comedy that make you laugh way more than intended

Started by Tikwid, May 01, 2018, 01:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Quote from: Pink Gregory on December 30, 2022, 11:27:34 AMam I right in thinking that yer Exorcist man William Peter Blatty wrote or at least worked on that one?

Yep, co-wrote it with Blake Edwards.

Sonny_Jim

Might not class as a small moment, but the one-two punch in Hot Shots where he throws the pool cue away and she crashes a load of drinks into someone's face absolutely floors me.  Having it all happen off screen is the key to it working I think

Gob Shine Algorithm

Del Boy buys round of drinks. Returning to table, he wipes excess beer spilling over his hands on Granddad's back.

pandadeath

"a pollen covered man offering to carry a perfectly healthy man? that's insane"

Pink Gregory

Down the Line

Gary Bellamy pronouncing 'toothpaste' as 'toothpust'

The Mollusk

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 31, 2023, 07:17:12 PMDown the Line

Gary Bellamy pronouncing 'toothpaste' as 'toothpust'

The mixture of enthusiasm and cynicism in how Thomas announces the name Wonge (the meat alternative food endorsed by Brian Pern) was one of the funniest little bits of the whole show for me. You can hear the smirk in his voice.

MrVentham

Tim's Kitchen Tips (Ep 1). Tim brings Eric onto the show to try his Russian dressing. Tim introduces Eric: "...my good friend, Eric Wareheim." Camera pans to Eric as he walks on set. Under his breath, almost inaudibly, he says "yeah." Kills me every time. Not sure why.

chocolate teapot

Compo laughing at a man in a plaster cast - Last of the Summer Wine Series 5 Episode 5 - Earnshaw Strikes Back.

The Mollusk

For some reason I always forget where this is actually from but I'm pretty sure it's Barton Fink:

Crooning jazz singer being comedically schmaltzy, between lines goes to take a sip of drink but before he can he swings back to the mic to sing the next line.

There's something brilliant in the physicality of it that's utterly joyous to me. But I can't remember where it's from.

Solid Jim

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 09, 2023, 06:51:31 PMFor some reason I always forget where this is actually from but I'm pretty sure it's Barton Fink:

Crooning jazz singer being comedically schmaltzy, between lines goes to take a sip of drink but before he can he swings back to the mic to sing the next line.

There's something brilliant in the physicality of it that's utterly joyous to me. But I can't remember where it's from.

'Vic Tenetta' in The Hudsucker Proxy. This article lauds the aborted sip as "one of the most perfect moments of the film," so you are not alone.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Solid Jim on February 10, 2023, 08:34:54 AM'Vic Tenetta' in The Hudsucker Proxy. This article lauds the aborted sip as "one of the most perfect moments of the film," so you are not alone.

Ahhh yes, nice one!

Gulftastic

In the Harry Enfield Beatles sketch where they visits 'Tarbucks' for a nice cup of tea, Simon Greenall grinning in the background creased me up.

Cuellar

General thing: people halfheartedly gesturing at stuff, for instance the way Chris Morris points at the glass here https://youtu.be/5h3d6udVurQ?t=75

Marner and Me

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2uvljx

This never seen the programme since I found it browsing the box circa 2013. However I will still quote it. Mainly 'Do I fucko' and 'My job is shit hot, and I'm a hot shit'

Feralkid

There's an episode of Teen Titans Go where Starfire wins a short-lived goldfish at a Carnival. There's a scene where the dead fish returns to her as a levitating ghost fish and speaks a single mysterious word. The speed with which it moves from that to Robin consulting his Fish Dictionary absolutely kills me. It's the mounting accumulation of silly plot developments and details being topped off with the dictionary reveal, the latter framed as the normal and rational thing, that gets me I think.

dead-ced-dead

Good Hank

Gary's trying-not-to-laugh face when Tony's attempting to sneak his new glasses on in Men Behaving Badly.

frajer

The way Randy Marsh says 'Shelllyy' in South Park. Every damn time.

tdurbo

If anyone asks me, under any circumstances, "Have you seen it?" 95% of the time I find myself saying aloud, "Eh? Have YOU seen it? Eh?" but 99% of the time, I stop short of doing the arm and saying, "Where's me washboard?" which then, in my head, takes me to lines like "I've seen you wrapping presents when it's nobody's birthday" and leaves whoever I'm with wondering what the hell I'm smiling to myself about.

I suppose you had to be there. In my head. Oh forget it.

gmoney

The gag in Barry where some casting people are trying to cast a tall and short person for their movie because they think that makes for good comedy. In the next series it's revealed that then ended up casting Josh Gadd and Adam Devine to the disgust of one of the casting directors "Two short guys. Never, ever gonna work".

bgmnts

Two moments in this pure rage masterclass from Capaldi. Firstly, the inability to undo his seatbelt, and then the almost visceral reaction to 'FUCKING OLLIE!, getting right in Nicola's face. It's beautiful.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

few days ago I was complaining about series 3-4 Malcolm but jesus the delivery of "it's not a fucking sanatorium for the fucking DEAF, is it?!" is amazing. feel like any other take of that line wouldn't be nearly as good.

listening to the pet dog episode of Hancock's Half Hour, there's this great bit where a woman in the audience seems to forget where she is and pipes up during a gap in one of Hancock's lines.

20:08ish in the video

talking of Hancock, sorry if I posted this before but there's this bit during The Sheik when they're trying to find seats in the cinema with the audience getting impatient, Tony suddenly loses it and shouts "WE'VE GOTTA GET IN!!!" Just a total overreaction, completely flies off the handle for barely a few seconds in a way I don't think he does again in the whole programme. Such a brief thing but one of my favourite moments in any comedy, completely caught me off guard the first time I was listening to it in bed.

Senior Baiano

First series of Peep Show, Alan Johnson's debut, he sneeringly dismisses Sophie, who stomps off, then Mark pipes up with a strangulated high pitched pathetically optimistic, "See you!"

The Mollusk

"Best thing about that place is Mary Anne gets in the hammock with you! ... I'm just kidding."

Not that line, but the slight pang of confusion/exhaustion in Homer's voice when he just replies "oh" which is amazing

famethrowa

The joyous squeal of recognition from an unknown audience member when Cardinal Ximénez pops up in the aftershave chemist sketch.

kalowski

Not comedy as such but on Test Match Special this afternoon they were talking about the ball firing into Root's abdominal protector!(ie his bollocks) and Phil Tufnell quietly said, "Bullseye" and it made me laugh uncontrollably.