Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:43:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gladiators Ready?

Started by Tony Tony Tony, January 14, 2024, 07:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnum Valentino

Who all has met a Gladiator then?

Cobra (and a woman one, whose name I can't remember) came to our primary in NI. I'd my picture taken with him, and I was dead nervous so he made a fart noise with his mouth and got me to smile for the shot. Seemed like a lovely bloke.

Utter Shit

Never met her but Jet opened the St. George's shopping centre in my home town, Harrow, and punched an onlooker who pinched her arse.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 14, 2024, 06:36:03 PMDoes anyone say AWOOGA?

Once asked Craig Charles who came up with awooga.  He said Grant and Naylor and then Fashnu nicked it for Gladiators.  So there you go.

Is Shadow back in jail then?  I saw an interview with him ages ago where he looked literally about 30% of the man he used to be.

Icehaven

Quote from: Mr Vegetables on January 14, 2024, 03:26:27 PMI was looking up what became of the Gladiators and apparently Shadow is in jail now, as is Des from Diggit

I half expected Wolf to turn up as a special guest gladiator or something but I looked him up and he's 71! So possibly wouldn't be fair pitching him against 23 year old super 'roided rail workers.

Icehaven

Quote from: Butchers Blind on January 14, 2024, 03:17:42 PMWhich one has sex with Ulrika Jonsson this time?

I actually did find myself wondering who'll be the first one to be accused of something unpleasant.

turnstyle

Couldn't quite get over how much of a shit name 'Fire' was for a gladiator.

Real 'Sunday night homework energy' to it.

touchingcloth

Surprised they haven't started giving them sponsored names.

Chunky by Kit-Kat.

Shockwave by Wella.

Daz.

Gulftastic

My Gladiator name is either Dryfart or Catnap

beanheadmcginty

Lad at my school used to live next door to Wolf in the wonderfully named village of Pratt's Bottom.

superthunderstingcar

I thought this was good, campy fun for a Saturday night.

Though I see that Legend Gary is now a Gladiator.

greencalx

Stumbled across this eliminator from an early (the first?) series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu3LABmIDBM

The guy on the left clearly came through first but what really struck me was how Partridge the commentary was, to the point that I wonder if aspects of the character were based on it. Particularly at 1:25 "...and there's a lovely sight to greet you - here's Uli".

Oosp

The gladiator falls from the trapeze and the contenders begin to circle. The crowd falls silent. All eyes are on Bradley Walsh. After what seems like an eternity, he rises to his feet and gives the thumbs-down. The crowd erupts. The contestants may eat the gladiator

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 15, 2024, 07:44:44 PMLad at my school used to live next door to Wolf in the wonderfully named village of Pratt's Bottom.

no you can't come round and he's on holiday anyway

Poobum

Was thinking last week why they don't bring this back so gonna take credit.

Always my favourite. Back when Russian and British Gladiators could wield giant Q-Tips in peace rather than the brutal atlaspheres of war tumbling around the Donbass, men reduced to vicious hamsters hungry for cruelty.

I attended the recording of UK's Strongest Man and shouted AWOOGA at Hunter while he was trying to interview a contestant. He looked at me so I did it again. He could have quite easily beat me up.

touchingcloth

I was surprised to remember the words "pugil stick" before the commentator said them.

Icehaven

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 15, 2024, 11:26:00 PMI was surprised to remember the words "pugil stick" before the commentator said them.

That and the travellator were the only things I remembered from before, although the rings came back to me when I saw them. The gauntlets a bit shit though.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: GMTV on January 14, 2024, 02:26:04 PMWhens the last time anyone saw a cheerleader?

Last night while watching the NFL. They're still a big part of American sports (and even American sports played in the UK like basketball) which I guess Gladiators technically is.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: GMTV on January 14, 2024, 02:26:04 PMI saw some nonsense articles about it being 'woke' due to the lack of cheerleaders and the costumes being covered. Whens the last time anyone saw a cheerleader?

Presumably the cheerleaders were in the US version "American Gladiators" (which was aired here) rather than our version?

And I always assumed ours was the original and theirs was the spin-off due to the addition of the word "American" in the title, but it turns out their version came first.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 15, 2024, 06:31:33 PMSurprised they haven't started giving them sponsored names.

Chunky by Kit-Kat.

Shockwave by Wella.

Daz.

Be ripe for a Top Trumps collection

"Eye Scratcher!"

Campness:10
Cake buying:10

GMTV

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on January 16, 2024, 12:44:00 PMLast night while watching the NFL. They're still a big part of American sports (and even American sports played in the UK like basketball) which I guess Gladiators technically is.

I guess so, I reckon it would have felt really dated if they'd had a cheerleader group in this reboot. I was thinking to modernise it for the UK they could've had some kind of street dance troupe a la Diversity. Coming back to cost maybe they ran out of budget and thought that was another thing that could be cut.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: George White on January 15, 2024, 10:45:08 AMAnyone ever watched the original US version?
American Gladiators was shown on ITV Nighttime, but all I know about is Luanne van Houten's lover Pyro, who was based on a real American Gladiator called Nitro, confusingly also the name of a new BBC one.
I did a bit. Malibu, aka Deron McBee, went on to a decent-ish career in trashy action movies.

Captain Z

Wolf chat reminds me of this.

YOU COULD NOT GET AWAY WITH THIS NOWADAYS. TAKE ME BACK.

George White

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 16, 2024, 06:56:06 PMI did a bit. Malibu, aka Deron McBee, went on to a decent-ish career in trashy action movies.
Time Barbarians!!!

kalowski

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on January 15, 2024, 01:16:10 PMOnce asked Craig Charles who came up with awooga.  He said Grant and Naylor and then Fashnu nicked it for Gladiators.  So there you go.

Sugarhill Gang wasn't it?

Tony Tony Tony

lazyhour

Is the ref/announcer guy Scottish again in this? That was the only bit I liked in the original.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on January 15, 2024, 01:16:10 PMIs Shadow back in jail then?  I saw an interview with him ages ago where he looked literally about 30% of the man he used to be.

When it was mentioned him being in jail I thought it'd be selling drugs or something, but Shadow (Michael Jefferson King) was given six years and three months in 2021 after kidnapping and torturing someone over a £1000 debt. How many shopping centre or gym appearances would he need to do to make that kind of money?

Icehaven

Well now we know what Limmy would look like if he spent all day lifting.

One of the new Gladiators has a drugs scandal in the press already.