Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,797
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:22:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wildlife spotting

Started by Twit 2, August 06, 2018, 12:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Yes, I've only used it for still photos plus there's a notable lack of fervid night action at my place so my batteries aren't being drained like yours probably are.

Brian Freeze

My Apeman runs off four AA batteries just fine with rechargeables. They last a fair while but not used it in the chiliest of weather yet.

Attila

Mine's one of the ones wirh 8 AA batteries -- it's left on 24/7, but the back garden is pretty quiet during the day. We average about 7-8K still photos before the battery warning starts to come up, so maybe changing them out every 2 months or so? Will have to see what's been happening with this latest cold snap.

Up til Sept, we brought in and turned the camera off during the day every day, setting it up only in the evenings, and that made the batteries last longer, too.

Well reminded to go out and bring it in now; super cold the past couple of nights, and I'm curious to see what kind of visitors we've had (I can hear munching outside in the middle of the night, especially with the nights being so cold recently. It's quite loud on these really frosty nights.)

paruses

Quote from: Gregory Torso on December 08, 2020, 12:34:14 AM
I thought it was a buzzard too, but I got shouted down with multiple "HAVE YOU SEEN IT FLYING BUZZARDS SOAR ITS A PEREGRINE FALCONE THEY LIVE IN CHURCHES" most exciting thing to happen in Hucknall for a while anyway

Is that their ID criteria? It looks like a buzzard to me and I asked a couple of bird friends who came back with same (I never trust my raptor Id).

I went to school in Hucknall. Les Dennis came in to the assembly one Comic Relief. This is more exciting.

Apeman stuff: thanks for the battery updates. Am surprised (and pleased) that they seem so long lived. Can't wait to spend the time I should be working setting it up and fiddling with it.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: paruses on December 08, 2020, 03:54:39 PM
Is that their ID criteria? It looks like a buzzard to me and I asked a couple of bird friends who came back with same (I never trust my raptor Id).

Cheers mate, vindicated. Peregrine falcons have got black heads haven't they? I was like mate that is not a prrrgrine fakhovn are you having a giggle. Off to scream at them now.

paruses

Quote from: Gregory Torso on December 08, 2020, 04:26:21 PM
Cheers mate, vindicated. Peregrine falcons have got black heads haven%u2019t they? I was like mate that is not a prrrgrine fakhovn are you having a giggle. Off to scream at them now.
Yes they look a bit like they're wearing an executioner's mask.
[Edit: Removed as I made your pic completely different in my mind] Am looking for a pic I have from one in the garden a couple years ago.

Quote from: paruses on December 08, 2020, 03:54:39 PM.
Apeman stuff: thanks for the battery updates. Am surprised (and pleased) that they seem so long lived. Can't wait to spend the time I should be working setting it up and fiddling with it.

Posting this morning reminded me to whip mine out for the first time in a couple of weeks. Batteries died after 40 mins :(

paruses

Quote from: paruses on December 08, 2020, 05:22:10 PM
Yes they look a bit like they're wearing an executioner's mask.
[Edit: Removed as I made your pic completely different in my mind] Am looking for a pic I have from one in the garden a couple years ago.

Found it! You can see the striping across the breast and underparts is different for a start.

Menu

Quote from: paruses on December 13, 2020, 10:48:58 AM

Found it! You can see the striping across the breast and underparts is different for a start.

Beautiful.

ZoyzaSorris

Attila

Oooh , great birdie photos!

Mr Attila rebuilt the party palace yesterday, as it's been raining (which usually means the fox dish gets flooded), and it's supposed to rain now for the next two weeks. It's a work in progress. The hedgehod station is still the same, but he's built a little house to shelter the foxes' food bowls.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Attila on December 14, 2020, 07:29:24 AM
Oooh , great birdie photos!

Mr Attila rebuilt the party palace yesterday, as it's been raining (which usually means the fox dish gets flooded), and it's supposed to rain now for the next two weeks. It's a work in progress. The hedgehod station is still the same, but he's built a little house to shelter the foxes' food bowls.

Surely its time for them to come indoors? I'm sure Mr Attilla will be happy on the couch.

bgmnts

Quote from: paruses on December 13, 2020, 10:48:58 AM

That first photo is brilliant.

And to think I'm excited about robins and chaffinches!

Fishfinger

Had a sparrowhawk visit the bird feeders today and ruin everyone's lunch. I was too slow to grab a pic, but here are a couple from 2 years ago in the same spot:

bgmnts

Those little chubby birds I've decided to call Twigflitters.

paruses

Quote from: bgmnts on December 14, 2020, 12:09:57 PM
That first photo is brilliant.

And to think I'm excited about robins and chaffinches!

They're great too. And I love sparrows. Really smart birds. This was just a fluke as it crash landed in a neighbour's garden so she rang for me to come an collect it. It spent the night in a bag in the cellar.

Thought it might have been poisoned but turned out not to be.

Quote from: Fishfinger on December 14, 2020, 04:38:08 PM
Had a sparrowhawk visit the bird feeders today and ruin everyone's lunch. I was too slow to grab a pic, but here are a couple from 2 years ago in the same spot:

Lovely - haven't seen a sparrowhawk for ages.

Brian Freeze

How easy was it pop into the bag?

Loving these photos and tales, I'm a big fan of just how extremely super mega intense they look. They really weren't built with frivolity and fucking about in mind.

Attila

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 14, 2020, 07:32:36 AM
Surely its time for them to come indoors? I'm sure Mr Attilla will be happy on the couch.

As cuddly as they look in the photos, a fox in the bedroom is probably a bad idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jGu2ae-zRg

(Just to let you know -- said fox had a severe case of mange, but she was captured and cared for, no worries).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Attila on December 14, 2020, 07:09:33 PM
As cuddly as they look in the photos, a fox in the bedroom is probably a bad idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jGu2ae-zRg

(Just to let you know -- said fox had a severe case of mange, but she was captured and cared for, no worries).

I love WAF, but also love Save a Fox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLhbxm8RF_s

paruses

Quote from: Brian Freeze on December 14, 2020, 05:28:10 PM
How easy was it pop into the bag?

Loving these photos and tales, I'm a big fan of just how extremely super mega intense they look. They really weren't built with frivolity and fucking about in mind.

It was fine - pretty docile really as it crash landed into a patio/pots so. Head in the bag first then the hard bit is to pull the bag shut without encountering the claws. Getting them back out is much worse.

Sparrowhawks are much worse - their claws are like needles and just slide into your hands.

Menu

Quote from: Fishfinger on December 14, 2020, 04:38:08 PM

Whoa!!

Twit 2

bgmnts

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/birdsong-mental-health-wellbeing-study-b1774784.html

QuoteThose who heard the additional birdsong reported a greater sense of well-being than those who didn't - even though it was a convincing recording, rather than the real thing.

Does this give the green light for us to bin nature and replace it with convincing recordings?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Desolation. Bring on the replicants, let's get this over with.

BlodwynPig

Frequencies not trees - The Telegraph

very human-centric take

Fishfinger

Another seagull bird of prey just now - a male sparrowhawk perhaps? Seems to be missing the stripes on the breast but might just be that the white is burned out.

Casually groomed itself a bit then fucked off.

bgmnts

Drowsily listening to the dawn chorus outside my window. No idea what kind of mental bird is up at 4am in a particularly wet South Wales winter morning, but whoever he is he definitely wants the other birds to know that this is his territory.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on December 21, 2020, 04:01:08 AM
Drowsily listening to the dawn chorus outside my window. No idea what kind of mental bird is up at 4am in a particularly wet South Wales winter morning, but whoever he is he definitely wants the other birds to know that this is his territory.

Raťafák Plachta

waiting...watching...