Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:36:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone a fan of Modesty Blaise?

Started by dead-ced-dead, October 27, 2023, 11:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dead-ced-dead

Either the comics or the books written by Peter O'Donnell. I've found a few copies from a used book shop and I'm enjoying them a lot.

Seemingly both ahead of their time and of it. As a child, during the second world war Modesty was a "displaced person" (a child shuffled around various from refugee camps across Southern Europe, Africa and the Middle East). As an adult, before the first comic begins she ran a crime syndicate in Morocco with her right hand man,
cock-er-knee rough, Willie Garvin (modelled after a pre-fame Michael Caine).

Cut to the start of the first issue, she's retired in London, rich and bored, and takes up adventures with Willie given to her by shady secret service man, Tarrant. Kinda like Q.

At the time it was often dismissed as "the-female-Bond", it's very of its time for the mid 60s in terms of design, action and its globe trotting plotting. But it also made a fair old stab at creating a fun, uncliched female action hero. It made a point of never hooking up Willie and Modesty, so there is no "will they won't they" trap. Nor did it ever judge Modesty for just how promiscuous she is. It's not above casual 60s racism (voodoo baddies etc), but it wasn't quite as sexist as Bond (although it definitely is at times - always an excuse to get Modesty into her skivvies). At the very least, it often tries to keep its stripping quite equal opportunity based - Modesty and Willie often changing into their next outfit - gives the fellas a chance at seeing Modesty half naked, but Willie is, too, kinda thing.

It was interesting to have your anti-hero being a refugee of unknown (but notably not Caucasian) origin without exoticizing her.

It's influence is also clear. Seems to be a direct line between Modesty Blaise and Lara Croft.

The art's really nice too.

Small Man Big Horse

I feel like I surely must have at least seen a few of the comics as she's such an iconic character, but if I did then it was well over thirty years ago and I can't remember anything. I did really enjoy reading your post though, so I wanted to comment on it, but sadly all I can contribute is "Maybe?" which isn't great, I know.

I've found a couple of collections here: https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/Modesty-Blaise-Lady-in-the-Dark/Full?id=167327 - so will try and give them a read at some point soon.

13 schoolyards

Wasn't Vincent reading a Modesty Blaise novel in the toilet in Pulp Fiction? Guess that makes him (and Quentin Tarantino) a fan

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on October 31, 2023, 03:30:14 AMWasn't Vincent reading a Modesty Blaise novel in the toilet in Pulp Fiction? Guess that makes him (and Quentin Tarantino) a fan

I think at one point Tarantino attempted to make an adaptation that never materialised.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

He executively produced this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Name_Is_Modesty

It was a cheaply made thing, to let the studio hold on to the rights to the character.

Norton Canes

A hotel in Kalgoorlie? That's going to raise some interesting associations for people who've seen a particular documentary.

lauraxsynthesis

Not read it but Bogarde is amazing in the not very good film version