Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:22:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

England has lost its mind

Started by Zetetic, August 15, 2020, 11:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: M-CORP on August 22, 2020, 06:20:02 PM
There was no distinction between deaths with Covid or deaths from Covid.

It's important to note that it's still not clear how C19 kills people but that it can reduce sufferers' ability to fight off other diseases and cope with existing conditions. The distinction above is misleading and is only really meaningful in cases of death by accident.

This adjustment is a PR exercise which Belgium, for example, didn't pursue. Even after that, we're still the third worst in the world:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/total-covid-deaths-per-million?tab=chart&country=BEL~BRA~IND~ITA~ESP~SWE~GBR~USA~OWID_WRL

I wish I'd taken a screenshot the day after the adjustment was made because it showed a big drop in the figures. Unfortunately, all the figures have now been adjusted retrospectively and we have a smooth graph once more.

Zetetic

M-CORP, I think the specific point regarding PHE's methodology for surveillance death stats is that they looked longer after positive tests than everyone else in the UK (60 vs 28 days).

That's a bit different to the with/from distinction.

I also don't think it's relevant to the UK Government's decision to reorganise it, or even really part of their justification for doing so (but I'm open to being corrected on this).

Zetetic

Deloitte's involvement in testing is an increasingly massive danger to the entire of the UK.

Where is the plan for getting tests to schools? For knowing what the results of that testing look like on a per-school basis?

Which labs are we now using?

Zetetic

https://nation.cymru/news/people-living-in-england-with-covid-19-symptoms-sent-to-test-centres-further-away-in-wales/

Can't even remember who runs each of the "UK Government" booking systems to be honest. (NHS Digital and DHSC certainly don't seem to actually know how they work.)

Zetetic

I cannot remember the last week that didn't start with discovering a fuckup by a UK Government contractor that the UK Gov either didn't bother to highlight or, even more disturbingly, didn't notice.

Zetetic

UK Government now unilaterally reducing test capacity to non-England nations.

Looks like an attempt to cripple response to outbreaks in South Wales Valleys for one thing.

Pinball

There are good non-lab (i.e. home test) C19 antibody tests that are widely available and cheap (£5 each retail) e.g. Surescreen in Derby. Home testing on finger-prick type tests could easily be rolled out on a large scale. This government is incompetent, and should have done this via Amazon etc in March (as they originally promised to but couldn't be arsed spending a few million). The economy then shrunk in size by £2.5 million million (i.e. £2.5 trillion).

Would 'd'oh' be an understatement for this biblical scale of incompetence? Certainly, they have destroyed the UK economy for a generation by a WW2 amount.

Zetetic

Antibody tests are useless for:
  - Encouraging isolation (quite the opposite).
  - Directing contact tracing.
  - Working out your care home's rota for next week.
  - Deciding whether to ramp-up lockdown measures.

Pinball

They have a place, as do RNA antigen tests. Not 'useless' though. Other countries are capable of doing them, but not the UK, the 2nd most badly affected country in the world. Some might say a 'useless' country in this regard.

Zetetic

More stuff about the Deloitte/DHSC fuck-ups with testing capacity and logistics coming into the public domain now.

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1305047753983225858

Zetetic

Quote from: Zetetic on September 07, 2020, 11:17:52 AM
I cannot remember the last week that didn't start with discovering a fuckup by a UK Government contractor that the UK Gov either didn't bother to highlight or, even more disturbingly, didn't notice.
Didn't even make it to Monday morning.

Sebastian Cobb

Twitter thread here on how many tests are getting voided due to poor handling.

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1305047753983225858

Zetetic

What I posted at 10.

Tied up with the wet double-swabbing stuff (that our labs don't use, incidentally, which I believe means we can't easily switch between our own and Deloitte's network).

Fambo Number Mive

Even less capacity in Kent now with the Ebbsfleet testing site closed to make way for a lorry park for post-Brexit customs checks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-54158100

Zetetic

"We made a conscious decision ... to extend the turnaround times ... over the course of the last couple of weeks."

Zetetic

Zetetic

Zetetic

Manchester?

NHS Digital giving us less than 24 hours notice that they're going to fuck-up the antigen test results stream?

What's the matter with you people?

pancreas

Zetetic

BlodwynPig

Zetetic

Ominous Dave

As a committed Marxist-Leninist, I've always seen attacking the North Wales hospitality industry as a fundamental step towards global revolution.

Zetetic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Zetetic on November 01, 2020, 05:17:46 PM

That's what we get for not nipping the lurch right in the bud 20 years ago. Fucking hell. Dan Hodges, an thoroughly indecent man left to his own devices. Corbyn, a thoroughly decent man, destroyed by the hordes.

canadagoose

Dan Hodges? Dick Splodges more like. What a fucker.

Urinal Cake

This is what happens when you compare yourselves to Nazis for the past 70 or so years. Unless you're gassing people in concentration camps you're always the good guy.