Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:33:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone else getting fit in Covid?

Started by Johnny Textface, November 07, 2020, 01:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on November 07, 2021, 06:00:44 PMI think the c25k app was holding me back, it was very much a case of just getting out and doing it and not overthinking about when my walk breaks were coming.

Yes, I actually didn't complete C25K either, I think I got to about week 6 and then tried the Nike Running Club and Adidas Running apps and realised I preferred doing my own thing. Got to 5K in less than the nine weeks the app aims for.

Still feeling a tiny bit wheezy now, this is reminding me of school when "cross country running" would make me feel like absolute crap all day. That was the undiagnosed asthma, I guess. I can just about get on with exercise now but I don't think I'll ever love it. It will probably always just be a necessary evil to me.

bgmnts

I did the gym for a full on year straight and I could only ever manage to run 7 minutes non stop. And most of that was running through shin splints and a burning chest. And I was only 19/20 at the time.

That's the exact moment I realised there was something wrong with me physically. Some people just cannot move well and have no endurance no matter what people say. I wish people were understanding of that.

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on November 07, 2021, 06:13:08 PM
I did the gym for a full on year straight and I could only ever manage to run 7 minutes non stop. And most of that was running through shin splints and a burning chest. And I was only 19/20 at the time.

That's the exact moment I realised there was something wrong with me physically. Some people just cannot move well and have no endurance no matter what people say. I wish people were understanding of that.

Me too... but have you tried seeing your GP about this? Getting an asthma diagnosis and then getting my asthma under control with medication was a game changer for me. The "burning chest" sensation sounds like something you should get checked out, not least because it might be fixable.

bgmnts

I have an asthma pump and use it despite not really having asthma. It's more the shin splints and foot pain that is a barrier.

But then over the years I've developed a throat tickle cough that is borderline debilitating, which the docs are adamant is asthma despite pumps not doing anything but aggravate it. I think it's just how it is for some. Probably the shit air we have to breathe god knows.

amateur

Quote from: bgmnts on August 06, 2021, 01:40:32 PMHow do you people deal with chub rub? I am a big fattie now so I get it almost semi regularly. I wear tight boxers that cover thigh area but still every once in a while i'll get a sore little rash and I cant really do anything for a day or so.

Is it just a power through the pain until you dont get it anymore thing?

I had this problem and solved it with a pair of cycling shorts, worn in place of underwear. With a pair of normal shorts on top, obv. I'd recommend it, as they go down further and keep the inside of your legs from getting red raw.

Kankurette

Apologies for necromancy but I've started exercising again. Going the gym 2-3 times a week, or walking for at least half an hour. My weight's gone up - apparently that's normal? I fucked my calf up on Monday doing steps.

Blue Jam

Went for a run this morning. Been feeling absolutely crap since- breathing in cold air probably didn't do my crappy little lungs any good. Urrrgghhh I fucking hate exercise. Got to be done though :(

Quote from: Poisson Du Jour on July 23, 2021, 11:26:50 PM43:59 while we're being running bores. But since I got covid in May 9k has been my longest run and if I had to do 10 I'd struggle to do 55 minutes now. I hope this is mainly the 40° heat and not just covid. We'll see in September when I start upping the distance again.

Marathon on Sunday, so it turned out ok, thanks for all the concerned PMs.

Kankurette

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 18, 2022, 04:53:37 PMWent for a run this morning. Been feeling absolutely crap since- breathing in cold air probably didn't do my crappy little lungs any good. Urrrgghhh I fucking hate exercise. Got to be done though :(
Take care. I can't imagine the shitty weather is helping. I can't go for walks because of it, so am hitting the gym instead.

bgmnts

Went for a 20 minute walk and only ended up retching a few times. Happy with that.

Dex Sawash

Got my rower set up at telly again, prolly go hard at it in preparation for swim suit season. I've gone a bit gelatinous.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Kankurette on February 18, 2022, 06:53:53 PMTake care. I can't imagine the shitty weather is helping. I can't go for walks because of it, so am hitting the gym instead.

Cheers. Think I just pushed myself too hard with the last run. Went for another run today and took things a bit easier, put a podcast on instead of music to slow my pace down and now I'm feeling pretty good. I doubt I'll ever experience the fabled endorohin high but my lungs feel nice and open.

I also got myself a nice new running top yesterday, saw some Adidas COLD.RDY stuff in TK Maxx and picked up a fetching magenta top with its own built-in neck Buff™ type thing. Very toasty and it seemed to make a difference lung-wise.

JamesTC

Four and a half months on from my ankle injury, I still have issues with it. I can run 3 times a week for three miles a time right now. Had a great run yesterday which definitely felt like I was getting my stamina properly back but I've started to feel strain in my non-injured ankle.

I suppose it is still improving, slowly but surely.

popcorn

The Culture Bunker

I did the thing on making a New Year resolution to actually try and get a bit fit as I enter the second year of my 40s, and stumping up cash to hire a personal trainer to try and make sure I stick to it - the logic being "well, I'm paid for three months, so might as well do it". It's been going well after only five sessions, in that the fellow mixes up the routines and I actually have seen some minor physical changes, Like, actual muscles at the top of my arms for the first time ever, which came as a bit of a shock.

Blue Jam

Today I went for my first run since getting the 'vid almost a month ago. Managed 2K even if it was a struggle and I felt absolutely crap afterwards. Still, this was the first time I had felt sufficiently free of the lingering cold-like symptoms and fatigue and well enough to even attempt running, I'm just glad I didn't collapse in a wheezing heap.

Have I basically got a wussy case of "long Covid" here? I've also had very itchy skin, with hives but popping up on my limbs only, and a couple of patches of a more nasty rash that just wouldn't clear up no matter what I threw at it. GP reckoned all this was a less common manifestation of the 'vid and gave me some hardcore steroid cream which thankfully is working a treat on the scaly patches. Also got some Cetirizine for the hives which is making them less unbearable.

Related to "Covid Toes" this isn't it? Diagnosis: I'm a manky get.

Crenners

Lost thirty pounds in two months without doing anything too radical, cut down on beer, eat much more fruit and veg than meat and cheese, drink more water and do 10k steps a day. Undone two years of Covid 'give a fuck' lifestyle, apart from the MASSIVE internal organ damage.

Magnum Valentino

Well done the pair of yiz, deadly to hear.

bgmnts

Well done on losing some chunk everyone! I've just continued to gain until being at deaths door level for a good while now so I'm a bit disheartened because I am just physically fucked lol

turnstyle

Quote from: bgmnts on May 12, 2022, 08:50:25 AMWell done on losing some chunk everyone! I've just continued to gain until being at deaths door level for a good while now so I'm a bit disheartened because I am just physically fucked lol

Don't worry, me too. In fact, just typing this measure has caused me to become physically exhausted.

Magnum Valentino

Just went and did my first full length treadmill gym run in too many months off the back of those two posts, so I'm DOUBLING my well done and coupling it with a thanks for triplicate rewarditude.

Dex Sawash

JamesTC

Got my first shin splint the other day. Tried running on Tuesday but a mile was all I managed before giving up. Seems all fine now but I'll give it till Monday.

Starting to think the Adidas running shoes might be causing me injuries. First the ankle injury last October now this. Decided to splash out on a more expensive pair of running shoes which have good reviews so hopefully they do the job. Was probably time for a new pair anyway.

Magnum Valentino

I was told by a source I trust that generally running shoes bought outside of a dedicated running shop, and including those marketed as running shoes by big-bame companies like Adidas and Nike, aren't worth a shite and you need to get a pair of Brooks, Aasics etc. on ya soles.

Hope they help with the pain Jim. I hurt quite a bit back when I'd Adidas runners on and a pair of Brooks made the difference between running with frequent pain and being able to run daily and painlessly.

JamesTC

The pair I've bought are Brooks! Sounds like £60 well spent when they eventually arrive.

Magnum Valentino

Which did you get? I'm a lifetime convert to Adrenaline I reckon. Replaced as soon as they wore out.

JamesTC

Launch GTS 8. They are also a garish blue and orange but if they stop my ankles from crumbling then they'll be worth it.

Kankurette

I've put on a couple of kilos due to having COVID and not exercising at all, and I can't exercise other than walking at the moment cos I'm recovering from a tooth extraction. I'm looking into walking more when I get back from Spain - is it worth getting a pedometer? I did think about getting a FitBit but I'm not arsed about anything except measuring my steps.

Apparently you're supposed to do 5 miles a day to lose weight. How the fuck I'm going to fit that in I don't know, even doing 5k leaves me knackered.

Poobum

Went from running a good 30 miles a week pre-lockdown to slowing to complete inertia and degradation as depression took hold. Hip-flexor is currently fucked but managed 15k on my new exercise bike and felt exquisite afterwards so hoping to keep momentum going. Kinda have to as if I get my visa I'll be spending 9 months trekking in the Apennines making sure bears are staying in their lovely national park.

amateur

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on May 13, 2022, 04:10:35 PMI was told by a source I trust that generally running shoes bought outside of a dedicated running shop, and including those marketed as running shoes by big-bame companies like Adidas and Nike, aren't worth a shite and you need to get a pair of Brooks, Aasics etc. on ya soles.

I'd agree with this. It's worth getting a gait analysis - I overpronate (read: run funny) so need a stability shoe. If I didn't run with that my ankles would be fucked.

Back on the running and have lost about a stone in the last few months, loads of walking too. Definitely feel a lot better for it.

As I've decided to be a running nonce, I've got a pair of ASICS for road running and some Nike's for trail running and that as well makes a difference - big chunky fuckers that make uneven surfaces much less of a big deal.