Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:52:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

International travel rules announced

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 07, 2021, 06:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: jobotic on June 03, 2021, 05:36:57 PM
FFS. Another feeling of panic then.

Why is there another fuckdown? because the variant is too strong for the vaccines?

Spoiler alert
If you've been vaccinated twice, things are looking ok with respect to antibodies - sharp jump up towards 80-100% - better if you are Pfizer and female.

Hospitalisations occurring more in the young (i.e. unvaccinated).

R number > 1 with significant confidence, doubling time < week in some instances. Delta variant to blame. Can't say more on that...
[close]

Chedney Honks

I actually have a holiday to Portugal booked for the winter which was bumped from last year. Should be fine by then. Just gonna roll it if not possible.

bgmnts

I'm actually going to be recreating Dante Alighieri's trek up Mount Purgatorio in a few months so I hope all travel bans are gone by then.

Kankurette

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 08, 2021, 11:09:04 AM
I cannat be fooked with it either for the time being. Maybe late autumn if there's good news continent-wide. The expense and hassle is definitely winning out over the positives of being there.
Me neither. I'm not going abroad until next year at least, now that Primavera's been cancelled again. And fucking Brexit just complicates things.

Blue Jam

You could always go on a cruise of the UK, on a ship which usually sleeps 6,000 but currently has a limit of 900 and feels like a ghost ship. Except you can't even do that now:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-57406705

Pure deso.

steveh

Walking across Hampstead Heath yesterday there was a woman ahead of me who was having a long phone conversation about how because of lockdown they'd had to move all their holidays for the year to the autumn so now she had Dubai, St Lucia and The Maldives one after the other and she really didn't know how she was going to manage it all. Tough life innit.

Ferris

Has there been any update on this? It looks like direct family of Canadian citizens can enter the country without quarantine as of July 5th as long as they've been vaxxed to high heaven and test negative before and after their flight under a family reunion exemption.

I haven't seen anything from the UK gov though, thought they'd be desperate for a bit of the old travel.

The UK gov website says you "should not" travel to an amber/red country, but is that the same as "we'll stop you or you'll get in shit if you try it"? Or like "we advise against it" but the advice of a load of old etonians can be safely discarded.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ferris

Not as much of a farce as the nearest international airport being a 13hr drive away, I assure you.

My mum works as a school librarian and once September rolls around, we're stuck waiting until Christmas so I'm a bit more willing to try and make travel happen before then. We're all vaccinated and willing to do whatever the relevant governments want us to, but it's not clear exactly what those requirements are.

On the Canadian end, they'd have to fly to Montréal then on here, and go through federal and provincial border checks (both of which change on a weekly basis it seems like). I can work out the logistics of that without too much hassle (probably just an extra connecting flight and another covid test or two), but I don't understand the UK regulations and I'm wondering if they've filtered through to popular reporting as a result you lot have a clearer picture of it all.

Fambo Number Mive

The travel industry aren't happy about the government moving the Baleric islands onto the amber list from Monday. However Shapps has said that case rates have doubled since the islands were added to the green watchlist. I don't usually defend the government but it seems entirely logical to move the Baleric islands to the amber list. Whether they should do it earlier is another question.

mippy

Have a trip to Chicago booked for October, which is looking increasingly unlikely. Especially as AZ isn't one of the vaccines approved by the FDA.

mothman

We've bitten the bullet and cancelled our holiday in Greece. And have made alternative arrangements. It can be intermittently useful having a spouse who has family in the Channel Islands... 👍

imitationleather

One of my mates has just moved to Rome and he keeps sending me WhatsApp videos of him in bars eating cheap as shit meat skewers.

Let me in, Italy. I wanna do that too!

Ferris

Mater and pater have booked their flights to Canada.

Smell ya later, plague island[nb]from Monday onwards[/nb]!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 09, 2021, 09:36:13 AM
You could always go on a cruise of the UK, on a ship which usually sleeps 6,000 but currently has a limit of 900 and feels like a ghost ship. Except you can't even do that now:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-57406705

Pure deso.

Cruise ships do seem inherently awful but by far I'd have to say the most outputting thing about them is the fact they'd be full of people who want to go on cruise ships.

idunnosomename

Quote from: bgmnts on June 03, 2021, 07:12:49 PM
I'm actually going to be recreating Dante Alighieri's trek up Mount Purgatorio in a few months so I hope all travel bans are gone by then.
dont you have to go up lucifer's bum to get there? not really in the spirit of social distancing that

monkfromhavana

As far as I can tell, with regards to travelling to Poland, you just need proof of being double-jabbed. To get back onto Plague Island you need to have a test within 3 days of your return flight, then another within 3 days of your arrival back here.

Ferris

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 23, 2021, 08:02:49 AM
As far as I can tell, with regards to travelling to Poland, you just need proof of being double-jabbed. To get back onto Plague Island you need to have a test within 3 days of your return flight, then another within 3 days of your arrival back here.

Same for Canada. One test 72hrs before you leave and another 72hrs before you return, and proof of vaccine status.

I'm not saying it's easy (Poland may have additional restrictions - Canada does so that's just half of the requirements) and it's a lot of hoops to jump through, but it is much more feasible now than even a few months ago. If you think it'll be beneficial, I think it's fine to go.

nugget

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 23, 2021, 08:02:49 AM

That's also my understanding for amber list countries, assuming you were double jabbed in the UK, otherwise you have to quarantine as well. It's ridiculous how the UK is still unable to recognise the standard vaccination certificate used throughout the EU, while most EU countries will accept UK vaccination certificates (whether they should or not is another issue).

Fambo Number Mive

Given the majority of France's Beta coronavirus cases are coming from the island of La Reunion, why isn't La Reunion on the UK's red list? At the moment it is on the amber list.

monkfromhavana

Went to book getting 2-day test for our return. Most clock in at around £75 per test, you really have to dig through a lot of crap (On-site tests are just as expensive) to find the few that are relatively affordable. £25 is the cheapest we have found.

Ferris

Quote from: monkfromhavana on August 02, 2021, 08:14:22 AM
Went to book getting 2-day test for our return. Most clock in at around £75 per test, you really have to dig through a lot of crap (On-site tests are just as expensive) to find the few that are relatively affordable. £25 is the cheapest we have found.

What place did you end up booking with? Have to book some for my folks when they get back.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 02, 2021, 10:17:16 AM
What place did you end up booking with? Have to book some for my folks when they get back.

I'll check later and get back to you as girlfriend did it on her computer. You pre-order them so they get sent so they (should) arrive within 2 days of landing back in the UK. Complete the test and then send it back (website was unclear as to whether you pay for the postage or not) via an approved COVID post office (or something like that). Seems like most POs are OK for it.

Some of the links were for places on Harley Street etc, with some clocking in at £175 per person. Ridiculous.

nugget

That would be helpful, the going rate for the day-2 home test seems to be about 70 quid, which seems a little steep. The prices on the gov.uk website seem to be completely wrong.

Ferris

Quote from: monkfromhavana on August 02, 2021, 02:26:20 PM
I'll check later and get back to you as girlfriend did it on her computer. You pre-order them so they get sent so they (should) arrive within 2 days of landing back in the UK. Complete the test and then send it back (website was unclear as to whether you pay for the postage or not) via an approved COVID post office (or something like that). Seems like most POs are OK for it.

Some of the links were for places on Harley Street etc, with some clocking in at £175 per person. Ridiculous.

Yeah that's what I've been seeing as well.

On this end we just gave up and spent 2x £150 to get it done because there are far fewer private providers in my bit of Canada (healthcare system provides walk-in same day PCR tests free, no questions asked, results back in an hour or two so why would anyone go private?!), but I haven't a clue on the UK side.

That service sounds perfect if you manage to find the name and I'll give them a go.

mothman

It seems to be the same here, the list of testing companies is ranked by ascending price, and yet the notionally cheapest will turn out to be unavailable or no test slots until September or you have to attend in person but their one site in the country isn't anywhere near you.

I said to MrsMoth today that I'm yet to have any moment of "Drat, it looks like we could have gone to Greece after all" - and she agreed...

nugget

Quote from: mothman on August 02, 2021, 07:00:53 PM
It seems to be the same here, the list of testing companies is ranked by ascending price, and yet the notionally cheapest will turn out to be unavailable or no test slots until September or you have to attend in person but their one site in the country isn't anywhere near you.

I said to MrsMoth today that I'm yet to have any moment of "Drat, it looks like we could have gone to Greece after all" - and she agreed...

I found that most of the tests priced less than £40 were simply not available or actually priced at 70+ when you get to the website. The cheapest available test I could find was around £40, so I decided to order one of them, then at the last stage of the checkout they added another £10 shipping and £10 VAT. Wankers. I still ordered it though because I'd already typed all my details in, and assumed all the others providers would probably just do the same.

katzenjammer

monkfromhavana

Sorry, I forgot to ask my girlfriend last night, but i have just messaged her so she will look (we need to book ours as well) when she gets home from work.

monkfromhavana

Scrap this, the £29 quid test had 1.5 out of stars with 86% of 519 reviews giving it the worst review. They all seem to be total dogshit regardless of price. Best so far seems to be Nomad Travel at £35. Only 9 reviews to base it off though.

What happens if you don't take the test?