Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:00:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Why are the anti-vaxx/anti-mask/covid deniers still so furious?

Started by George Oscar Bluth II, September 28, 2021, 09:23:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 05, 2021, 03:52:16 PM
In Toronto they're going with "Hugs Over Masks", which doesn't scan or rhyme or anything, and just goes to prove that if you're an antivaxxer you're probably crap at everything else in life too.

Is that what they're about?!

I saw a few of them last week ("free hugs!" "err no thanks mate pandemic there mate") all dressed in black wearing hats and I thought they must be selling something.

flotemysost

One of this lot doing his piece with a microphone in town earlier. All the stuff about the pandemic being a scheme for Big Pharma to make money, doctors only getting their medical degrees because they really just want to experiment on you etc. was pretty predictable, come on mate, get some new material, but then he got started on a tangent about how the biggest experiment of all is human procreation, which was a new one on me.

He clocked my baffled staring and said "What does this woman in her prime think of it all?" and obviously I called him a stupid cunt and told him to fuck off, which I know is what they want, to ruffle the collective fleece of the sheeple, but come on, even Quentin Letts probably doesn't use that phrase any more.

I really don't know enough about the various sub-genuses of conspiracy theories to say with any authority, but I didn't think the covid deniers would be anti-breeding - I can hardly see them being the type to welcome LGBTQ+ relationships and access to safe abortions and contraception with open arms, if anything you'd think they'd want as many recruits to their army of believers as possible, but you learn something every day.

chveik

anti-natalists aren't very harmful so maybe there's still hope for that weirdo

flotemysost

I dunno, I suspect that realistically his angle probably takes a tack not completely dissimilar to evangelical pro-lifers in its sex-negative misogyny - "these idiotic mutton who can't keep their legs shut, popping out obedient little lambs like there's no tomorrow, just distracting themselves from the TRUE issue of the GREAT RESET, they won't be laughing when their herd are turned into EXPERIMENTAL 5G KEBABS for the Illuminati butchers to feast upon!!!!". Or something of the sort. Hardly an unusual thing for right wingers across the board to shame people for wanting to have children, I suppose.

buttgammon

Quote from: flotemysost on October 06, 2021, 12:43:11 AM
One of this lot doing his piece with a microphone in town earlier. All the stuff about the pandemic being a scheme for Big Pharma to make money, doctors only getting their medical degrees because they really just want to experiment on you etc. was pretty predictable, come on mate, get some new material, but then he got started on a tangent about how the biggest experiment of all is human procreation, which was a new one on me.

He clocked my baffled staring and said "What does this woman in her prime think of it all?" and obviously I called him a stupid cunt and told him to fuck off, which I know is what they want, to ruffle the collective fleece of the sheeple, but come on, even Quentin Letts probably doesn't use that phrase any more.

I really don't know enough about the various sub-genuses of conspiracy theories to say with any authority, but I didn't think the covid deniers would be anti-breeding - I can hardly see them being the type to welcome LGBTQ+ relationships and access to safe abortions and contraception with open arms, if anything you'd think they'd want as many recruits to their army of believers as possible, but you learn something every day.

I can't speak for the conspiracy theorists in other countries but practically every leading covid denier and sceptic in Ireland was involved in the campaign to stop us from legalising abortion in a refrerendum a few years ago, and many of them were shoulder-to-shoulder with the homophobes during the same-sex marriage referendum before that. Then again, a lot of them are involved with political parties that are explicitly natalist (provided you're white and Irish, of course), but I would say that the majority of them in any western country are likely to be involved with that far-right continuum that denies people reproductive rights, although it's obviously going to be magnified in Ireland because there have been numerous rallying points for the anti-choice set over the last few years.

Shame they're not so pro-life with regards to people dying of covid.

Fambo Number Mive

Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust
@RBNHSFTEarlier today, we discovered fake leaflets distributed around our car parks containing incorrect and inaccurate information about the COVID-19 vaccine – the leaflets were designed to look as if they were made by Public Health England but are fake

flotemysost

Told another antivax protestor to get fucked earlier. Realistically I doubt the city centre placard/loudspeaker lot are going to change many people's minds on the spot; what boils my blood is the sheer insensitivity of anyone thinking it's OK to stand in a public spot, denying the seriousness of a disease which most likely will have affected a lot of passers-by, some of whom may well be grieving for loved ones. Might as well stand in Trafalgar Square proclaiming that cancer is a hoax, or disability is a scam dreamed up by wheelchair manufacturers (they probably think that too, tbf).

Much like the bloke the other day, he took issue with my language (probably the fact I'm a woman as well) and said something like "That's a very offensive thing to say" (ah right, because what you're doing isn't offensive at all!). Why are this lot so fragile? For all their boasting of strong natural immune systems, they seem pretty feeble when it comes to weathering a handful of common-or-garden swear words.

Kankurette

It's a thing with a lot of conservatives. For people who hate snowflakes, they don't half get angry when people swear. Especially if said people are women.

Buelligan

Fucking hell, you're not wrong about that.  There are some weird cunts in the world.

imitationleather

Taking issue with a swearword and assuming the moral high ground because of it is a lot easier than engaging with your arguments. It's as simple as that.

Ferris

I don't do it any more because I'm usually with a small child and don't want to deal with the backchat, but these people desperately want you go swear at them because that proves they're right and everyone else is unreasonable and can't deal with their counter cultural truth bombs or whatever.

Had a spate[nb]well, about 3[/nb] of trump twats in Toronto with their little hats in 2016/17 and every one made extensive eye contact, daring you to say something - I found you get a lot more mileage by chuckling and saying "you dopey prick" or a gleeful "pfft you've lost the plot mate!" because then they feel silly rather than vindicated and it takes the wind right out of their sails.

Not easy to think of them in the moment, so I usually have a few mild insults ready to go just in case!

flotemysost

I know, I know. The guy kept saying "why don't you come back and have a conversation about it" and I honestly would have done, except I also had stuff to do and I didn't really have time (unlike them - I'm guessing they must use up their annual leave on this shit? Or they take it in shifts? Who knows?). Ultimately I'm sure they'll just chalk it up as another example of how rabid and intolerant the pro vax lobby is. I told him how disgustingly insensitive it was to families of covid victims, anyway.

Ferris

Yeah there's no right way really, your post just reminded me of some interactions of my own. I wouldn't have a conversation with them though - you might catch something.

Kankurette

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 15, 2021, 07:06:57 PM
Yeah there's no right way really, your post just reminded me of some interactions of my own. I wouldn't have a conversation with them though - you might catch something.
Stupidity?

mothman

Maybe it's asking the obvious question everyone else has already asked, but I do wonder where all these UK antivaxxer cunts have appeared from all of the sudden? The whole movement, well, it doesn't really feel very British, you know? It's much more American. Which makes me think, who's paying them? It has to be the US insurance companies.

They are gagging to get their teeth into the UK healthcare sector (even more than they already have via the creeping privatisation-by-stealth the outsourcing contracts allow them). 65 million people with no health service? That's a trillion-dollar market. The Tories are onboard already, they loathe the NHS; the problem is the public insist on loving it. So the first thing they need to do is put a stop to that. They need to demoralise the staff. And how better than to chuck a few grand to some unemployed rightwing arseholes to pull stunts like turning up to A&E departments and pretend to charge them with crimes against humanity? Cheap at the price given the rewards they stand to make.

OK, maybe a bit tinfoil hattish but I keep wondering, what's it for, cui bono?

bgmnts

Might not even be American. There presumably quite a few private healthcare insurers in the UK who'd want more profit?

mothman

Yeah, but from what I've read in the past it's the big US firms that are lobbying hard.

Cold Meat Platter

monkfromhavana

greenman

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 28, 2021, 02:33:52 PM
I'm no psychologist and I don't wish to stigmatise mental illness, but I think many of these people are just broken inside. For whatever reason, be it nature or nurture, they are filled with anger and, since no one likes to think that there is something wrong with themselves, they will latch onto anything they can find to explain it. It doesn't matter if it's rational or not, so long as it gives them a reason to vent.

Generally I would guess conspiracy theorists tend towards high levels of narcissism so obcessing on the subject and the need to be "right" would fit into that.

SteveDave

I'm dying to find one of these White Rose scrotes putting up their little stickers. I will follow them home and seal their front door up. I actually think I know who's putting them up around my area because there's a flat with many "NO 5G" things in the window.

A friend was on the Pipe[nb]the new name for the Tube[/nb] recently and saw someone sticking them up in a carriage. He calmly went around taking them all down and when the fellow challenged him, my friend screamed "WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?" at a volume he says he usually only reserves for shouting at himself in a mirror. The man went and stood by the door and got off at the next stop.

buttgammon

I posted this in the wrong thread yesterday:

Quote from: buttgammon on October 22, 2021, 06:27:34 PM

Check out these dunces, who were protesting at a road junction near a hotel and a petrol station in the outskirts of Dublin this afternoon.

In case it's not clear, the numbers on the sign are a fabricated death toll from the vaccine.

Apparently, they were still standing at the junction four or five hours later, sad bastards! We have a 93% vaccination rate here, so I'm not sure why they're still bothering at this stage.

imitationleather

Quote from: SteveDave on October 23, 2021, 10:07:12 AM
A friend was on the Pipe[nb]the new name for the Tube[/nb] recently and saw someone sticking them up in a carriage. He calmly went around taking them all down and when the fellow challenged him, my friend screamed "WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?" at a volume he says he usually only reserves for shouting at himself in a mirror. The man went and stood by the door and got off at the next stop.

Christ, I'd love to do something like that.

Fambo Number Mive

Some vile bastard in Whitstable has been putting up White Rose stickers against vaccinating children claiming "no healthy child ever got covid" which, aside from being totally untrue, shows how these people think. They clearly don't care about the lives of people with medical conditions. Actually I wonder if some of them actively want to kill off people with medical conditions, given the overlap between covid denial and the far right. Managed to take one off but the others were stuck on too well.

It's a shame you can't get anti White Rose stickers refuting their nonsense.

Fambo Number Mive

Also good for SteveDave's friend, he is braver than I am. More people need to confront these White Rose covid denier scum.

mothman

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on October 23, 2021, 03:13:09 PM

Red rose stickers? It'd be War Of The Roses II!

flotemysost

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on October 23, 2021, 03:13:09 PM

Well, their stickers are just printed on home label printers using designs shared on Reddit or on their special secret Telegram groups or whatever, so it's not impossible. It's just that most people have better things to spend their time on says the person who carries a Sharpie around in order to scrawl immature nonsense on White Rose stickers

Mind you don't hurt yourself trying to pee them off!

Edit: that's obviously a typo but it's not a bad idea. Just piss all over them.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on October 23, 2021, 03:13:09 PMIt's a shame you can't get anti White Rose stickers refuting their nonsense.

Well like flotemysost I have a lovely marker pen to scribble on them BUT a load in central London I saw a few months back had been augmented with stickers with the word "gobshite" printed on them, with arrows pointing to the nonsense. Quite liked that.

Incidentally, since I've been scribbling on the stickers the amount of new ones in my area has dropped off a cliff. Maybe whoever is putting them up has realised they won, the government is on their side and the stickers aren't needed anymore.

Neomod

Quote from: buttgammon on October 23, 2021, 11:14:28 AM
I posted this in the wrong thread yesterday:

Apparently, they were still standing at the junction four or five hours later, sad bastards! We have a 93% vaccination rate here, so I'm not sure why they're still bothering at this stage.

Father Ted fans?

buttgammon

Quote from: Neomod on October 24, 2021, 07:22:48 AM
Father Ted fans?

Wouldn't be surprised to see a Father Ted writer there if he slipped a bit further down that slope.

I missed a trick by not shouting 'careful now' at them.