Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:47:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

My wife's got the covid and (so far) I've not

Started by justin_bennett, October 17, 2021, 01:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justin_bennett

Both double-jabbed with the Pzifer.

Went down to Brighton last week for wedding anniversary and hardly any fucker was wearing a mask.  Up here in Glasgow most folks are still wearing them indoors.  We spent the whole week together, and before heading out to a gig on Friday night back home did his'n'hers LFTs.  Mrs B got 3x positives and I got a negative, so booked PCRs and got the same results back yesterday.  (didn't go to the gig, obvs)

Spent last night sitting on the sofa in our one-bedroom flat then wondered if we should sleep in the same room.  Seemed a bit weird to separate given the previous 7 days but we did it anyway.  Currently shivering here with windows open, but surely the damage is done, or is it?  I am torn between thinking "if I was gonna get it then I'd have it by now", and "don't want my immune system to get any more fucked and I get it".  Plus a part of me just wants to get it and get it out of the way.  Saying that, I've got the sniffles a bit at the moment.

Fuck this shit.

Anyone here been in a similar situation?

flotemysost

Sorry to hear that, hope your wife feels better soon.

I know loads of people within the same household where some tested negative and some positive, pre-vax as well. In lots of households distancing at home probably isn't an option (especially if you have babies or young children who can't exactly just do their own thing for a week or so) but I understand the quandary.

Since getting vaxxed myself, there's been a couple of occasions where I've been a close contact of someone else (also vaxxed) who's subsequently tested positive, but I haven't, so I guess I've just been lucky. Someone better versed in this stuff can explain it better I'm sure, but I'm guessing it's possible to have been in some sort of contact with it, but for whatever reason your viral load (if it infects you) isn't enough to register as positive on a test? It does seem like some people are more susceptible than others. I'm certain I must have come into contact with it by now, I've lived in flatshares with key workers throughout a lot of the pandemic but never tested positive.

greencalx

The other two members of my household tested positive over the summer, but I did not. Who knows why. It's possible that I had already had it, or that having been the first to get a vaccine, my immune system managed to fight it off. Or maybe I just didn't do the test properly. They are far from infallible.

justin_bennett

Quote from: flotemysost on October 17, 2021, 02:08:42 PM
Sorry to hear that, hope your wife feels better soon.

Cheers!

Quote from: greencalx on October 17, 2021, 02:28:11 PMOr maybe I just didn't do the test properly.

Have been wondering that myself...

My wife also has the covid and I also have not.

She works in a primary school and a huge outbreak has hit. She started feeling unwell last Monday and took a PCR test then which proved to be positive. Since then I've taken 3 lateral flow tests which were negative, then after a crippling headache took a PCR. That turned out negative too.

My wife is still bedridden and we have two small children, so I'm fucking exhausted right now. Hoping for some paid "dependants leave" from work this week...

Glebe

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

For some reason, the evening I tested positive, I still shared a bed with my wife. In my defence, the disease really affected me mentally for about 72 hours. We'd obviously been in regular close contact before the test as well. But I moved into the dining room the following day, and isolated in there. I'd caught from my younger daughter. Both my elder daughter (single jab) and my wife (double) continued to test negative. So it may well not be too late. In any event, speedy recovery to your wife, and anyone else suffering.

Blinder Data

Last summer I had COVID toes and the GP advised - even though it was likely a post-infectious symptom - that I isolate within the household. I was in a one bed flat with my wife who was going through the first trimester of pregnancy.

We managed two days of being 2m apart during which I barely left the living room, but eventually we gave in. My wife never displayed any symptoms. In retrospect I might have been more careful, having read some scary cases of pregnant women getting COVID and needing hospitalised.

It's a difficult one and there is no right answer. The key thing is that everyone is happy with the decision, whatever the consequences may be.

Best wishes to the wifies out there suffering with the 'rona.

hamfist

In our house we're two males and two females

Both of us males tested positive tonight and feel like shite

Both females tested negative and feel ok.

I blame the matriarchy

jobotic

Fucking hell it's everywhere. As the government wishes I suppose.

Best wishes to all of you.

My had it recently, her two daughters and husband tested negative all the way through it. Various cousins of my children have also had at different times and the rest of their families have got away with it.

Noodle Lizard

If it makes you feel any better at all, I know a couple who live in a small one-bedroom flat with no chance of isolating from one another. One of them got it with full-on symptoms and the other never did, despite sharing a bed. Didn't test positive, and even had a negative antibody test months later (bizarrely). This was in the pre-vax days too. Since the vaccine, our neighbor got it but didn't manage to give it to her (unvaccinated) children or husband. It's a bit of a grab-bag, it seems.

I think something that's been a bit overlooked about COVID is that, like other similar viruses, some people just aren't particularly susceptible to it (or at least certain strains of it). Have you ever been in a household where everyone comes down with a bad cold or the flu and you never get it? It doesn't mean you're immune to "the flu" in general, but for whatever reason your body effectively tells that particular one to fuck off.

So I hope you continue not to get it - it's certainly possible!

Glebe

Quote from: hamfist on October 19, 2021, 09:22:08 PMIn our house we're two males and two females

Both of us males tested positive tonight and feel like shite

Both females tested negative and feel ok.

I blame the matriarchy

Speedy recovery Hams.

poo

hamfist

thanks you lovelies, done the old pcrs this morning, was due to go see the fam in zurich over the next week but that's cancelled. ah well. just feels like flu still, none of those continuous cough, loss of taste symptoms the gov still bang on about

Icehaven

My other half had it in July but although we live together I never got it, at the time I'd had one jab and he hadn't had any. We both did PCR tests when he got symptoms, his was positive mine negative, then I did an LFT 10 days later and that was still negative. We isolated together for the 10 days but didn't bother trying to keep distanced between ourselves, it would have been pointless unless we were going to deep clean the bathroom and kitchen every time he used them, which we weren't, and we figured if I was going to catch it from him I would already have done by the time he was showing symptoms.
A mate just tested positive yesterday and his wife is negative, although they're both double jabbed she's also had the booster as she's a nurse so that might have helped. 

greenman

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 19, 2021, 09:41:08 PM
If it makes you feel any better at all, I know a couple who live in a small one-bedroom flat with no chance of isolating from one another. One of them got it with full-on symptoms and the other never did, despite sharing a bed. Didn't test positive, and even had a negative antibody test months later (bizarrely). This was in the pre-vax days too. Since the vaccine, our neighbor got it but didn't manage to give it to her (unvaccinated) children or husband. It's a bit of a grab-bag, it seems.

I think something that's been a bit overlooked about COVID is that, like other similar viruses, some people just aren't particularly susceptible to it (or at least certain strains of it). Have you ever been in a household where everyone comes down with a bad cold or the flu and you never get it? It doesn't mean you're immune to "the flu" in general, but for whatever reason your body effectively tells that particular one to fuck off.

So I hope you continue not to get it - it's certainly possible!

I'm guessing in those situations everyone probably had been exposed to it and it was just a case that some people fought it off and others didnt.

gilbertharding

Another anecdote here: my sister got it, in summer 2020, so pre-vax. She's a nurse, and 62 years old . Anyway, she wasn't very ill, and neither her husband, nor their daughter ever caught it, despite all living in the same house.

George Oscar Bluth II

Yeah there's been a suggestion that most people don't spread it at all and that infections are a responsibility of a small number of the infected who infect a lot of people themselves.[nb]Eg me, who caught it, infected my wife and went to the supermarket just before showing symptoms and so maybe gave it to a couple of people there[/nb]

My wife is finally feeling a bit better after being infected 2 weeks ago today (we think).

I've been ok (except what I thought was a cold) but have just woken up with no sense of smell.

Off for a PCR this morning!

Chedney Honks

Glad to hear your wife is feeling better, and good luck yourself and RIP to you just in case.

SteveDave

I've got it too! I felt bad since Wednesday but thought it was just a changing of the season cold picked up from my 4 year old. I had Thursday and Friday off work as the cough and headache were excruciating. Went for a test at the walk-in yesterday and boom! Got Covid.

I was DJing at the Lexington last Saturday so I presume I got it from there but I have enjoyed having to let people who I've been in contact with know like I'm a cocksman and they've been riddled with something by me.

My wife's going for a test at 1, but whatever the outcome, we're isolating with the child until Sunday. He was supposed to be going to Cardiff for half-term but it's probably for the best that I didn't deliver him to my aged dad and generally ill sister after spending 4 hours on the Megabus.

If anyone wants 2 tickets from London to Cardiff tomorrow leaving at 10am and/or one ticket coming back from Cardiff to London at 4pm please get in touch.

Glebe

Get well soon Steve. Glad your wife's feeling better ESP.

SteveDave

My sense of smell just went. On a ventilator by Thursday.

SteveDave

My wife's test has come back as negative and now she's doubting science and making us do another home test.

My (home) test has almost immediately shown up positive. Now she's confused.

mothman

I'm feeling a bit rubbish today and was getting worried because I've been in public spaces more, recently, but still taking precautions (mask, hand sanitiser). But LFT is negative.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: SteveDave on October 24, 2021, 03:14:32 PM
My wife's test has come back as negative and now she's doubting science and making us do another home test.

My (home) test has almost immediately shown up positive. Now she's confused.

The tests aren't completely accurate, but more than that, people's self-testing technique is fallible. Hope you're not feeling too rough, SteveDave.

Fambo Number Mive

pancreas

Quote from: Chedney Honks on October 24, 2021, 04:00:53 PM
The tests aren't completely accurate, but more than that, people's self-testing technique is fallible. Hope you're not feeling too rough, SteveDave.

Weren't you supposed to be dead by now? It was looking dicey as fuck.

Chedney Honks

Yeah, it wasn't great for a while but fortunately it's passed. Just a bit tired.

All the best with it when your turn comes.

SteveDave

My sense of taste went at about 6:30 this evening.

Not going to lie, I'm dreading falling asleep and then waking up dead.