Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,327
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:20:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling 2021/2022: All Thread Everything

Started by madhair60, November 22, 2021, 08:51:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Ah right, I know who you mean. Makes sense.

Ja'moke

Enjoyed Rampage more than Dynamite this week. Eddie v Takeshita and OC v Nese were both great, and lots of story development in the other feuds too.

Also, Eddie v Jericho in a Barbed Wire Death Match with JAS suspended in a Shark Cage? Excuse me?!

BeardFaceMan

Aren't they doing some sort of Shark Week tie in with a TV channel? Jericho does still seem intent on doing gimmicky shit like this, sadly.

Psybro

I've enjoyed Jericho more since he apparently had a pulmonary embolism and dropped weight, similar to how Mox has been better in my eyes since his rehab (although Mox wasn't on the verge of being completely unable to go like Jericho was).  It's nice to see wrestlers actually improve their health.

Ja'moke

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 09, 2022, 01:35:07 PMAren't they doing some sort of Shark Week tie in with a TV channel? Jericho does still seem intent on doing gimmicky shit like this, sadly.

Yep, it's Shark Week on Discovery.

And nothing sadly about it for me. I can't wait. What's the betting Sammy escapes the Shark Cage and does some mad dive into the ring?

BeardFaceMan

Yeah all they need is Robocop standing below the cage to take the bump and it'll be dope!!!!

Ja'moke

You know the shark cage doesn't have literal sharks in it, right?

It's a gimmick that has been around since, what, the early 1980s? Most notably in Flair v Sting and Owen v Triple H (that's the one I remember the most as it's around when I started watching wrestling). Even gimmick hater Jim Cornette has been locked in a shark cage at some point.

I think they have a bad rap because WWE really started overusing them at one point a couple years ago when trying to flog their shark cage toy ring set.

BeardFaceMan

Oh, Jim Cornette has been in a shark cage? It must be an amazing gimmick then and impossible to dislike, my mistake.

Ja'moke

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 09, 2022, 02:49:39 PMOh, Jim Cornette has been in a shark cage? It must be an amazing gimmick then and impossible to dislike, my mistake.

I was more pointing out that your ridiculous Robocop comment made it sound like it was a ludicrous thing that came from Russo-era WCW. When it's a fairly inoffensive cage gimmick that has been around for 40 years and involved in some great matches.

You don't have to like it. But it's not exactly Mimosa Mayhem.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ja'moke on July 09, 2022, 02:54:01 PMYou don't have to like it.

Oh, well thank you, that's very kind of you to allow me that. And I very much enjoyed your potted history of the shark cage gimmick, thank you for informing me.

Ja'moke

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 09, 2022, 02:58:23 PMOh, well thank you, that's very kind of you to allow me that. And I very much enjoyed your potted history of the shark cage gimmick, thank you for informing me.

You're welcome.

BeardFaceMan

Just another example of AEW's overbooking problem for me, it's not enough to have a barbed wire deathmatch, there needs to people suspended in a cage too?

Gurke and Hare

As mediocre as this week's Dynamite might have been, I've just watched last night's Smackdown and fucking hell. Less than 15 minutes of wrestling across the whole show, some tedious promos and a bit with a tennis related fashion show that didn't involve any kind of angle or brawling but just happened. Just absolute dogshit.

Rampage was great. Takeshita is so good.

Ja'moke

Just been catching up with the TJPW Summer Sun Princess show.

What a show. Really enjoyed Thunder Rosa vs Miu Yamashita (looking forward to the rematch in AEW!) and Maki Itoh v Alex Windsor. The tag matches were great too.

Dickie_Anders

I've been watching the weekend TJPW show too, really good stuff. Favourite match is the semi-main tag. Yuka Sakazaki is really fun to watch when she's being a bully

One thing has me worried though. Mei Suruga and Saki Akai seem to have been split up, and they're playing their "normal" personas instead their Neo Biishiki-gun characters. If this is a permanent thing then that's a shame, as that's been one of the best acts going in wrestling for the last couple of years

Ja'moke

Ooh they're showing the Rosa v Yamashita match from TJPW on Dark tomorrow! Along with PAC v Shota Umino from Rev Pro.

Mox v Takeshita announced for Dynamite too!

Old Thrashbarg

Wonder when they'll flip the switch on Takeshita and have him start beating some names? Could've seen him getting a win over Eddie if it wasn't for Kingston being in a current high-profile feud.

Deanjam

PAC/Umino from RevPro and Rosa/Miyu Yamashita from Tokyo are on AEW's youtube channel.

Moribunderast

Just catching up on Stardom. Tam Nakano and Natsupoi just had an insane two matches. Their Cage Match had earned reviews as a potential MOTY and, while it was great, I think I preferred the match from two days later. Just a desperate, violent, emotional battle. Great stuff.

Ja'moke

That chainsaw spot from Chuckie T killed me, haha.

Gurke and Hare

This is a great show so far. Two excellent matches, Christian still being great and a Daddy Magic promo. What more do you need in the first hour?

Ja'moke

Moribunderast

Quote from: Ja'moke on July 14, 2022, 01:09:42 AMThat chainsaw spot from Chuckie T killed me, haha.

Bryce casually saying "You can't bring a chainsaw" and Chuckie throwing his arms up in dejection was very amusing.

Great Dynamite. That tag match was awesome and Mox/Takeshita was very good. OC/Wardlow was very entertaining, especially the start which felt like the wholesome fun you'd get at a house show or indie.

Mobius

Yeah that was a sick episode, not a bad moment really. OC Wardlow worked so well together, the the triple tag main event was just insane. Awesome show all round

Deanjam

Raw will change from a PG rating to a TV-14 rating from July 18th. So expect the same boring three hours of terrible storylines, but people saying shit a lot.

Mobius

Aren't they making more money than ever, and doing pretty good ratings wise lately? Maybe all these allegations on Vince have reminded him of the good old edgy days.

But yeah I doubt much will change at all, not sure any advertisers want a product less geared to kids in any way.

Ja'moke

Zarian is now saying that USA sent out that memo prematurely and Raw won't be returning to TV-14 on July 18.

In other news, Sasha Banks has been announced for her first convention appearance (C2E2) and as Mercedes Varnado, not Sasha Banks, and no mention of WWE.

Fightful reported that she apparently can't appear at wrestling related signings til Jan 1 2023 though.

Ja'moke

AEW YouTube just posted a sit down interview with FTR and the Briscoes and their match at Death Before Dishonour is now 2 out of 3 falls!

stonkers

Wasn't Raw TV-14 in the glory years of 2001-2009?

Spiteface

Might have been. Seemed to coincide with Linda McMahon's move into politics and them getting Mattel to do the action figures.

I might be remembering this completely wrong. But I do find it hilarious that people think this is going to magically make WWE better if it really is happening.