Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:25:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Traitors UK (Series 2)

Started by Ja'moke, January 03, 2024, 04:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrumsAndWires

finished s2 of the aus traitors...kek. that ending was funny as fuck.

Spoiler alert
you gotta hand it to same, the guy has some next level persuasion skills; he's a slimey cunt but fair play for making it to the end. it's a shame annabel and luke got booted off so early in the game, i reckon both would've made great traitors.
[close]

Minami Minegishi

Anyone remotely interested in the US S2?

This week it was obvious to see how the US version is less constrained by issues related to a money win format than the BBC. It was clear that the episode was going to go a certain way, or one of two ways, and the Producers intervened to massage a specific outcome.

I really hate the celeb versions of this format, although some seem to like it. All the connections between contestants get in the way of good gameplay, imo.

thr0b

Looking forward to the US one being on iPlayer. I have resisted the temptation to acquire it by other means.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: thr0b on February 10, 2024, 03:01:31 PMLooking forward to the US one being on iPlayer. I have resisted the temptation to acquire it by other means.

It does not stand up to weekly viewings at all. The fake editing, extended, boring tasks and over-milked cliffhangers become a bit more noticeable. I think if I was binge-watching this I would just cane it in 3-5 days and then forget about it.

As it is, I'm finding myself really not engaged at all.

DrumsAndWires

throwing celebs into the format is always gonna weaken the show. same thing happened with celeb big brother. i thought US S1 traitors was alright tbf, but nowhere near as good as non celeb versions

also apparently NZ Traitors will be on iplayer later this year, i've heard it's very good so here's hoping it'll be on the same level as UK/aussie versions

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: DrumsAndWires on February 17, 2024, 11:45:51 PMthrowing celebs into the format is always gonna weaken the show. same thing happened with celeb big brother. i thought US S1 traitors was alright tbf, but nowhere near as good as non celeb versions

also apparently NZ Traitors will be on iplayer later this year, i've heard it's very good so here's hoping it'll be on the same level as UK/aussie versions

There have been some really drawn out and fucking tediously boring scenes that completely rely on us knowing the previous careers of these people. Crazy. There are soapy elements to this because there are cliques and people who have known each other before. I can see how that might work on paper, but in reality it is a complete distraction from the main game of deceit and alliance-forming, with everyone on an equal level. Given that a decent amount of the episode is taken up with another unwelcome distraction (the sigh-worthy tasks) it leaves about 20-25mins of actual solid drama.

mjwilson

New to the Traitors and have watched the two UK series through. Just started on the first Oz episode and can't believe how terrible the host is. Claudia going way up in my estimation.

Queen Peach

BritishHobo

Did anyone finish US season 2? FINALE SPOILERS

Spoiler alert
It suffered a lot from having two Traitors by the end who clearly didn't seem arsed. It's a fatal flaw with an all-celeb cast, as none of them really need the win, and it's valuable as an entry on their reality TV resumè whatever the outcome. But Phaedra didn't seem at all interested in doing anything other than relaxing into the role of a passive observer, acting like whatever happened was of no real consequence to her. And Kate from season 1 walking into the role of final Traitor was a rubbish conclusion. No connection to any of the dynamics set up from the beginning. I think it says everything that the final drama was (uniquely, at least) three Faithfuls deciding whether they were done or not.
[close]

An all-celeb cast proved to be rubbish. As others have said, it's not fun to hear them wank on about how Benny and CJ are known for being on seasons six through fifteen of The Demoniser, and seven different Housewives sweep around as if I'm meant to be familiar with the dynamic between them all. I shouldn't need to have watched every US reality show to enjoy this, there should be normals in there as well to force everybody into new, fresh interactions.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 26, 2024, 09:24:40 PMDid anyone finish US season 2? FINALE SPOILERS

Spoiler alert
It suffered a lot from having two Traitors by the end who clearly didn't seem arsed. It's a fatal flaw with an all-celeb cast, as none of them really need the win, and it's valuable as an entry on their reality TV resumè whatever the outcome. But Phaedra didn't seem at all interested in doing anything other than relaxing into the role of a passive observer, acting like whatever happened was of no real consequence to her. And Kate from season 1 walking into the role of final Traitor was a rubbish conclusion. No connection to any of the dynamics set up from the beginning. I think it says everything that the final drama was (uniquely, at least) three Faithfuls deciding whether they were done or not.
[close]

An all-celeb cast proved to be rubbish. As others have said, it's not fun to hear them wank on about how Benny and CJ are known for being on seasons six through fifteen of The Demoniser, and seven different Housewives sweep around as if I'm meant to be familiar with the dynamic between them all. I shouldn't need to have watched every US reality show to enjoy this, there should be normals in there as well to force everybody into new, fresh interactions.

Pretty much agree with everything you have said here. The format really struggles with celebs and the drama is neutered by previous associations. The idea that the Housewives (a show I have never seen) should all group together even though it was statistically almost a certainty that one of them was a Traitor, was silly and frustrating rather than dramatic. Easily the most disapppointing series of the show so far.

Old Thrashbarg

Had watched any of this before, but just gone through both UK series over the last few weeks and thoroughly enjoyed them. With the obvious caveats, as I'm sure almost everyone has, that the tasks are largely rubbish. Though I do wonder if the producers thought that, especially early in a series, people would vote off based on task performance more than random suspicions of being a traitor, when it doesn't really make a difference at that point if you do get rid of a traitor. Another will be recruited anyway, and anyone who gets identified so early on likely would not be a very good player.

I've not watched Uncloaked, so maybe this is handled on there, but it would be nice to see people like Zack get told that they were actually a bit shit and identified traitors for completely spurious reasons, and actually helped other traitors to succeed. Just to see him look a bit crestfallen.