Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:49:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Photography again

Started by Eight Taiwanese Teenagers, November 10, 2014, 08:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnum Valentino

May as well commit to this!

Here's a few from Belfast yesterday. First two are clinging to the same ladder down by the waterside (one from each direction) and the third's of a bench you can't sit on up on Cave Hill. Still getting to grips with processing and such which should account for any grevious errors including what looks like what DVD reviews used to call 'edge enhancement' that I failed to eliminate.

Crenners

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 11, 2022, 10:23:22 PMLove the second one!

Cheers, I like that one.

@Magnum Valentino I really like the first two, very atmospheric.

Crenners

Couple more of the sunset by my mum's.

Magnum Valentino

What's it like on your mum's alien homeworld where the sea is powered by the wind?

Crenners

Let's just say that I probably won't be able to get as many like this in Carlisle.

touchingcloth

Very nice sunset photos. Love that you've caught it in a way which looks good in a photo rather than trying to get the sunset per se as it appears to the eye - those photos always just turn into a smear of muddy oranges. The turbines add some interest higher in the frame where sunset pictures often struggle.

Crenners

Cheers, I really appreciate the feedback. I know that sunset stuff is ten a penny but they'll bring back memories for me, the end of an era.

Poobum

In the appenines. Not photographer, only have phone. Don't like climbing mountains I find. Oopsie.

Magnum Valentino

I like those a lot and the first one in particular.

Here's a really intense red door near my house that I've wanted to shoot for years.

Crenners

I really like that first one, Poobum. Four distinct depths.

shoulders

A few taken out and about the last year.

Crenners

Really like the second and third, especially the ethereal second one. Very painterly as guys say. The first one got me thinking of some 127 Hours scenario!

Poobum

Morning from my balcony.

Endicott

Crenners

@Endicott Definitely a story there, that's talent.

Thanks also for the tips re: focal length and shutter speeds. My technique is OK handheld and I can get sharp photos, particularly with the 17mm prime, but I probably prefer the comfort of a tripod at this early stage, less to think about! Another thing is that I find moving the focal point much easier with a tripod.

That said, I did get my zoom lens out and tried to follow what you suggested and left the tripod. I really enjoyed it actually, more spontaneous and while I did struggle a bit with focus points, I'm sure I will get better with more practice. Caught these fellas having a chinwag.

Endicott

Nice light, and you've caught the girls on an evening out.

I don't do a lot of street, hardly any at all really, but that one arrived on a plate.

Magnum Valentino

Folks this is too big (the image, not the tree). How do I make it less massive?

Crenners

I dunno but it autoresizes on mobile. Cool geometry, imposing angle.

I'd like to see a bit more of the detail on the bark but that's just preference.

Magnum Valentino

I had to convince myself to allow that much through, my instinct pushes me towards high contrast blackout but thought better of it. I'm not sure there's any more detail to pull through but I'll have a look.

Edit: like this, with a wee bit of brightness reduced to account for the changes.

Magnum Valentino

Crenners

Cheers, I do prefer that second one, feels less stark and more sombre. Again, total personal pref, though.

Here's my effort for the evening. Looks like some Insta filter but little here besides a crop and calming the highlights. The windows were just 'vintage' filthy.

shoulders

Yeah that's good, I like how the perspective encourages your eyes to reset from different focal points.

Crenners

Cheers, I don't really go for geometric and abstract but I quite like that.

Endicott

A couple of shots from around Snowdon last year.

Vodkafone

These are great. That second one of Shoulders' is really good, sort of bright yet a bit gothic at the same time.

Poobum

From atop a crumbling castle wall where I was quite a scared.

Magnum Valentino

Worth it but. Reminds me of that lovely shot in Goldfinger where a few roads are visible down a mountainside in Geneva.

Where is this?

Crenners

I find woodland stuff difficult because it's hard to isolate a subject when there's so much noise, but I'm going to keep at it because I like the colours and it makes me look more closely to try to see a composition.