Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:46:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

POST COMPUTER PROBLEMS IN THIS THREAD ONLY

Started by Nobody Soup, February 08, 2013, 12:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hand Solo

Quote from: lipsink on April 11, 2020, 01:48:38 PM
Can anyone advise with storage space running out on their phone? Keep deleting apps and photos and don't really think I've got that much on there anyway. Anyway I keep getting the message saying its running out. Is there a setting I can change to free up more space?

What phone? How much internal storage does it have? Does it have an SD card, if so what size?

lipsink

It's a Sony Xperia L3 with 32GB space. There doesn't seem to be an SD card. Just a regular SIM card.

Wilbur

Windows android or iphone ? If Android which version.....?

Hand Solo

Quote from: Wilbur on April 11, 2020, 04:22:32 PM

Just look up the model, it's Android 8.0, unless that model has had an update?

My phone has 32GB internal also and a 16GB micro SD card and I never get any messages saying I'm running out of storage, you can move most apps from internal storage onto the micro SD card too, especially the less often used ones. What particular app is telling you you're running out, the OS itself or something else? I have the Google Files app file manager on there from the Play store and that has an automatic Clean feature that pops up occassionally, there's plenty of other apps in the store that will delete little used, redundent or duplicate files. Failing that your phone can take up to a 512GB micro SD card, you can order a decent 32GB one for less than a tenner these days or go for something a bit bigger? Should solve the problem.

olliebean

Quote from: lipsink on April 11, 2020, 01:48:38 PM
Can anyone advise with storage space running out on their phone? Keep deleting apps and photos and don't really think I've got that much on there anyway. Anyway I keep getting the message saying its running out. Is there a setting I can change to free up more space?

The quick way to free up space is usually to go into "Storage" in the settings, make sure you're looking at internal shared storage, and touch "Cached data" to delete the cached data. Bit of a pain that it doesn't automatically free up space when it needs it by clearing cached data, and it seems to fill up again pretty quickly (possibly depending what apps you've got installed, I guess some of them cache more data than others), but it'll do if you just need a bit of space to update your apps or whatever.

olliebean

Quote from: Hand Solo on April 11, 2020, 04:29:54 PM
My phone has 32GB internal also and a 16GB micro SD card and I never get any messages saying I'm running out of storage, you can move most apps from internal storage onto the micro SD card too, especially the less often used ones.

Worth mentioning that you can only do this if you format the SD card as being an extension of the internal memory, rather than separate storage, and if you do this then (I guess obviously) any apps you have moved onto it will vanish from the phone if you remove the card.

Wilbur

Quote from: Hand Solo on April 11, 2020, 04:29:54 PM
Just look up the model

Eeeeerm . They hadn't stated the model at that point....... cheeky cunt......

Hand Solo

Quote from: Wilbur on April 12, 2020, 08:15:36 AM
Eeeeerm . They hadn't stated the model at that point....... cheeky cunt......

Eeeeerm??

Quote from: lipsink on April 11, 2020, 04:16:17 PM
It's a Sony Xperia L3 with 32GB space. There doesn't seem to be an SD card. Just a regular SIM card.

Quote from: Wilbur on April 11, 2020, 04:22:32 PM

Neomod

Is there any way I can update my Samsung Galaxy 4 tab from Kitkat 4.4.2 to Lollipop or Marshmallow in a relatively simple way? Some apps are starting to become incompatible but I'm loathe to lay out cashmoney on another tablet when this one is perfectly fine otherwise.

I'm relatively tech savvy but I'm nervous of bricking it..

..or breaking the tablet (a-hahaha)

Wilbur

No not really. Nor even in a complicated way since cyanogen and XDA ceased to exist in a meaningful way.......

Modified to ask/check that you have checked there is no update available under system/updates, yes ?

Neomod

Yeah, I got the latest update installed message.

I did a bit more digging and it looks like the SM-T230 (7) I have actually couldn't handle lollipop as it has the marvell chipset.

Therefore can anyone recommend a sub £100 android tablet that can run a relatively new version of android?

BeardFaceMan

Computer-ish problem incoming. I was having problems with the hdmi port on my xbox controller so I took it apart. It looks like it's still soldered properly but it's a little loose, the port isn't stuck to the circuit board, it wiggles a bit and I think this is what's causing the problem so I need to stick the port to the circuit board. My question is, can I use superglue for this? It's just sticking a bit of metal to a circuit board, I can't imagine they get that hot, and it's not like it needs to be conductive or anything. Will a dab of superglue do the job or do I need something else?

Wilbur

Quote from: Neomod on April 15, 2020, 05:36:12 PM
Yeah, I got the latest update installed message.

I did a bit more digging and it looks like the SM-T230 (7) I have actually couldn't handle lollipop as it has the marvell chipset.

Therefore can anyone recommend a sub £100 android tablet that can run a relatively new version of android?

I've got a Lenovo tab which is a few years old which just updated to Oreo and which I've been happy with. I think someone on here recommended it ......

lipsink

Hey, can anyone help? I bought an external hard drive for my laptop as I was running out of space. I've plugged it in and it's showing on my Desktop but I can't seem to save anything in it. If I drag a file to it it just doesn't go in.

Puce Moment

I'm no expert but I use external hard drives a huge amount. Does the drive show as empty if you right-click on it to see properties?

Is there anything in the properties that looks odd? Type? File system? Capacity?

Wilbur

Quote from: lipsink on April 17, 2020, 11:36:40 AM
Hey, can anyone help? I bought an external hard drive for my laptop as I was running out of space. I've plugged it in and it's showing on my Desktop but I can't seem to save anything in it. If I drag a file to it it just doesn't go in.
Type diskmgmt.msc in the run or search and enter. See if it shows up in there and needs initialising....and possibly formatting....

lipsink

Quote from: Wilbur on April 17, 2020, 12:35:03 PM
Type diskmgmt.msc in the run or search and enter. See if it shows up in there and needs initialising....and possibly formatting....

Just tried that but no result. I'm using a mac so do I just type that in still?

A message came up when I first plugged the hard drive in. I wasn't sure so I clicked Decide Later but I perhaps should've clicked Yes. I keep plugging it back in but can't seem to get that message back.

lipsink

It comes up in DISK Utility and says 2TB available but next to Owners it says Disabled?

NoSleep

From within Disk Utility, select the new drive, then select "Erase" from the toolbar. Give it a memorable name (I tend toward creating a name with no special characters or spaces as I've had apps that have had problems with those; so something like "2TB_Backup"). Select "OSX Extended (Journaled)". Select "GUID Partition Map". Click "Erase".

Wilbur

Sorry I shouldn't have assumed you were on a Windows machine.

lipsink

Quote from: NoSleep on April 17, 2020, 01:20:27 PM
From within Disk Utility, select the new drive, then select "Erase" from the toolbar. Give it a memorable name (I tend toward creating a name with no special characters or spaces as I've had apps that have had problems with those; so something like "2TB_Backup"). Select "OSX Extended (Journaled)". Select "GUID Partition Map". Click "Erase".

Brilliant. That seems to have worked. Thank you!

Hand Solo

Quote from: Wilbur on April 17, 2020, 01:22:12 PM
Sorry I shouldn't have assumed you were on a Windows machine.

Wasn't as bad as when you assumed he hadn't posted his phone model when he literally did the post before yours and reactionarily calling me a cunt.

lipsink

Sorry to clog up this thread with more questions but I have another one!

My microphone has basically fallen apart. I use it to record a podcast. It's an Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone. Decided to just buy it again but it's out of stock. Can anyone recommend another mic of similar sound quality for around £100?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Wilbur on April 15, 2020, 05:17:01 PM
No not really. Nor even in a complicated way since cyanogen and XDA ceased to exist in a meaningful way.......

Modified to ask/check that you have checked there is no update available under system/updates, yes ?

Erm Cyanogen's spiritual successor is Linage, a fork of it. XDA is fine. I used it to get my old Moto G5 running android 9, android 10 is available but there's still bugs being ironed out.

Looks like you can get android 10 on the tab https://www.getdroidtips.com/lineage-os-17-1-galaxy-tab-4-10-1/

DukeDeMondo

I hope it's ok to post this in here. I posted it in the wrong place earlier.

This isn't self promotion, but Neil, please feel free to delete (although please let me get an answer first, if an answer is possible)

My podcast is currently hosted by Podbean, and since I paid for it it'll probably stay there.

I'm currently trying to list it on iTunes, and all is fine except for the image. I keep getting the error " Podcast artwork must be between 1400 x 1400 and 3000 x 3000 pixels, JPG or PNG, in RGB color space, and hosted on a server that allows HTTP head requests."

I've tried uploading the image at various sizes within those parameters, I've tried saving it as both JPG and PNG but it's not having any of it. The RGB thing is clicked on Gimp, I just don't know. Is it the "server that allows HTTP head requests" bit? I mean loads of people publish their podcast on Podbean and get it on iTunes with no bother. Here's the image I'm currently trying to use: IMAGE

Its dimensions are 1885 x 1400.

What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help? I'd be really grateful if you could.

EDIT: Also, I can't upload the image directly to iTunes. I have to upload it to Podbean, which then includes it with everything else when it ports it across. It's hugely frustrating, I don't know what to do about it at all.

the

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on April 20, 2020, 08:40:47 PMHere's the image I'm currently trying to use: IMAGE

Its dimensions are 1885 x 1400.

Dunno if this is the actual problem, but that image there is 1400 x 1040 pixels, making it undersize for a 1400 x 1400 minimum.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: the on April 20, 2020, 08:49:29 PM
Dunno if this is the actual problem, but that image there is 1400 x 1040 pixels, making it undersize for a 1400 x 1400 minimum.

Ach balls, why does it tell me it's 1885 x 1400 if it's 1400x1040? Is gimp not saving it properly?

the

Once you've saved your image out of GIMP, find the file in your computer's browser and check the properties on the file. This will confirm whether its size is what you thought it was.

If it's correct, you upload it somewhere, but the size changes, then we have to assume that the place you're uploading it to is rescaling the image.

If this happens then I'm wondering if the image not being square might be a factor. A quick look on podbean shows that all the thumbnail images are square.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: the on April 20, 2020, 09:04:27 PM
Once you've saved your image out of GIMP, find the file in your computer's browser and check the properties on the file. This will confirm whether its size is what you thought it was.

If it's correct, you upload it somewhere, but the size changes, then we have to assume that the place you're uploading it to is rescaling the image.

If this happens then I'm wondering if the image not being square might be a factor. A quick look on podbean shows that all the thumbnail images are square.

You might well be right there, I've thought that too. I guess I could make a black square and stick it in the middle of it, see if that works.

the

Where did you source the Jesus pic from? (link if you've got one)