Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:27:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek: The Next Generation Rewatch (oh god no)

Started by Lemming, May 11, 2021, 02:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Quote from: Lemming on June 11, 2022, 04:45:40 AMThere's a guy in Ten Forward called Ben, by the way, who is not Guinan. You might think he's Guinan but he's actually a different wise and calm civilian bartender who's able to flit effortlessly between all different groups of people on the ship. Guinan's somewhere else, this is Ben, our new character.

Him, Guinan, and that bloke who tends the gardens at Star Fleet academy seem to be the real power in the Federation. I suspect that they're some kind of parasite, a bit like those creatures in that Rick & Morty episode that give you false memories of being friends with them.

QuoteLater, the Enterprise goes to the rendevouz point and Sito isn't there. They panic for 30 hours (not my usual hyperbole, they do actually sit there for 30 hours fretting), after which she's still not there. They still haven't told anyone what's going on, just that they're looking for a pod, which makes Sam even more moody. They launch a probe which goes directly to SITO'S CORPSE.

Makes it sound like she was there banging on the front door for 30 hours, then just gets a long range probe point blank to her face.

daf

166 | "Lower Decks"

A Sito Sore Eyes

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Highlights
• The Troiker Crew Evaluation Sketch
• Bartender Ben's Bubbly Banter
• Smalltalk Sam's Canadian Clanger
• Sexpert Bev's Ogawa Date Advice Corner
• Taurik's 7% Efficiency Boost Boast
• Drill Riker's Petty "Aye Aye" Nit-Pick
• Prejudiced Picard's Devastating Dressing-Down
Other Bits :
• The Ten Forward Mystery Black & White Ball Game
• Taurik's Shuttle Distress Deduction
• Red Hot Poker #12 : Call My Bluff
• Red Hot Poker #13 : The Triumph of the Will
• Worf's Blindfold Sito Bum-Grope Challenge
• The Escape Pod of Doom
• 3D Chess #12 : Worf Woe Wallow

Score :

MojoJojo

I hadn't realised Boimler from LD the series was a bit inspired by Sam from the episode - with obsession with getting promoted and the clumsy arse kissing. Although I don't think any of the other tng lower deck members inspired anything in the series, so maybe I'm reading too much into that.

Lemming

Quote from: Solid Jim on June 11, 2022, 10:43:39 AMI thought the same thing when I saw this episode. My inference was that perhaps they already asked Ro and she refused point blank to accept what was clearly a suicide mission. Which set them to thinking, we need a more naive Bajoran whom we can manipulate and bully into doing this without fully understanding the risks.
It does come across that way! Especially with Picard's "I've personally asked for you because I want to offer you a chance at redemption" spiel, followed quickly by his "you don't have to take this mission, of course, but..." stuff. I liked that Worf jumps in at that point and - a bit uncharacteristically - seems to try and encourage her to refuse the mission, like he's starting to have serious second thoughts about the whole thing himself, and has realised that they've manipulated Sito into a position where there's basically no way she'll refuse this slapdash safety-not-guaranteed death mission.

Video Game Fan 2000

Wasn't Sito originally meant to survive but they never go to make the follow up because Michelle Forbes left? Ro and DS9 crew find Sito in a prison camp and she's raging about have been manipulated into a suicide mission, or something like that.

Not that it makes the iffy-ness of TNGs attitude to regular crew members any better, but I think the episodes sets up a lot of stuff thats planned to be discussed later on - like Worf's regrets and Picard's obvious manipulation of Sito.

edit: only half right, the ultimate OBrien suffers episode Hard Time (https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Hard_Time_(episode)) was based on an idea originally written as Sito's comeback.

Glebe

Watched the episode 'True Q' on Pick TV yesterday, features a guest appearance by Olivia d'Abo (cousin of Marayam d'Abo apparently). Turns out she voiced the character Luminara Unduli on Clone Wars, by coincidence I had just came across an article about Obi-Wan Kenobi that mentioned that character before I discovered this!

Lemming

S07E16 - Thine Own Self

Troi attempts to become a full Commander while Data, having lost his memories, races to cure a pre-warp village from a mysterious illness.

- Bev's in command of the Enterprise, and we're rendevouzing with a shuttle containing Troi, who's just been off for a class reunion. Really, what the fuck is the Enterprise's mission at this point? We're a taxi service.

- Troi comes in and has the most mind-numbing converastion of all-time with Bev, who says that she's volunteered to manage the bridge tonight because it's a good laugh. With that, we're off to pick up Data next, because we've become a space Uber.

- In some cringelord renaissance-y town on a planet somewhere, a dishevelled Data walks into town unable to speak, much to the shock of the lame locals. The town mayor, Garvin, tries to talk to him but Data's on the fritz and doesn't remember who he is or what's going on.

- With him, he's brought a suitcase that says RADIOACTIVE on it. Garvin can't read English and Data can't remember what "radioactive" means, so they open it and take out the EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TINFOIL.

- Back to the real plot - Riker's playing jazz. The term "Riker-bashing" is invented. Troi tells him that, since her class reunion was so excruciating on her end because all her classmates have exciting lives while she's a counsellor, she'd like to take the BRIDGE OFFIECER'S TEST to become a proper officer who can say "engage" etc. Riker tells her to get prepped, because he'll be the one judging her.

- Data's taken to a doctor/scientist/renaissance-woman, who's pretty cutting-edge by the standards of the planet, who reckons he's an ICEMAN from the mountains. Garvin hates cool codenames and says that Data can't be called ICEMAN, so gets named the infinitely worse "Jayden" instead by some kid.

- Some blacksmith guy starts fucking about with the EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TINFOIL to figure out what it is. They sell half of the radioactive shit to him and Data keeps the rest. Some dork manages to break his leg by dropping an anvil on it, and Data amazes the assembled crowd by effortlessly lifting it with his MEGASTRENGTH.

- Garvin's feeling unwell as a result of pressing his entire face into EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TINFOIL earlier. He leaves to be ill somewhere else and Data gets the chance to talk to his daughter, who immediately tells him that her mum's dead.

- In the holodeck, the ship's about to fucking EXPLODE. Troi barks orders to holo-Geordi and holo-Worf, but fucks up at the end and loses the ship. Oops! Riker, being a shit trainer, snarls that she'll have to do better next time. Troi begins to suspect the test is bullshit (though not as much as the one Wesley was given where they convinced him he'd killed someone, remember that?).

- Back in Shitsville, the scientist - Talar - is teaching kids the latest discoveries in crappy renaissance-era science. Data has a feeling this is wrong and jumps in to bring everyone up to date on the hottest 24th century science, such as wood not containing fire. She tells him he's talking shit and the lesson concludes just in time for everyone to watch Garvin's radiation poisoning worsen. Talar checks him out and finds that his hair's falling out and that he's got radiation burns.

- Data's got a vague feeling that centuries-old science isn't quite right again, and decides to investigate Garvin's illness himself. An angry mob comes to kick his ass because other people are getting radiation poisoning too, including Garvin's daughter. Later, he's fucking about with a makeshift lab when Talar comes in and checks out his cool new upgraded microscope. They start to collab on the investigation for a bit and then Garvin's daughter comes in with a pendant made of EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TINFOIL. Data starts to realise what's up.

- Troi bones up (phwoar) for the big exam. Riker comes in and tells her that he's cancelling her test due to her incredibly poor performance. She gets really pissed off and Riker delivers the richest line of all time - "not everyone is cut out to be a bridge officer". Let's just have a reminder of this exchange from a few episodes ago ("Force of Nature"):
QuoteRIKER: Data, what if we forced an EPS discharge through the impulse reactor. Would that be enough to get us out of here?
DATA: I do not believe so, sir, and the resulting explosion would likely destroy the saucer section in the process.

- But Riker's actually given her a SPECIAL COVERT CLUE. She goes and launches the test again and orders holo-Geordi to his death, for it's the only way to save the ship. Riker walks in to congratulate her for dooming Geordi, which was the answer to the test. I love the idea that all bridge officers have to specifically kill Geordi to pass. Anyway, Riker promotes her to Commander! About fucking time innit.

- Talar is wowed by Data's cool science tricks, and learns what radiation is. She leaves to gather the EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TINFOIL and put it away in the lead-lined box, when the Angry Mob arrive one second later and beat up Data. One of them hits him hard enough to rip his skin off, revealing his freaky Terminator skull beneath. How the fuck?! He's been through explosions and Borg atacks and shit without incident, but one punch from this blacksmith guy rips his face off? Anyway the mob are like "euuuugh" and run off.

- Data doesn't know what to make of his weird robot skull. He dons a Mysterious Hood to cover his fucked up head. Garvin's daughter wants to see him, so he reveals his appearance to her. She manages not to freak out, so he returns to his anti-radiation research.

- He finds the cure in like five seconds flat and gives it to Garvin, who begins to de-fuck. He realises that nobody will trust him to give them the cure, so he goes to put it into the town well so that it'll reach everyone. Sadly, his idea of stealth is to walk through a well-lit area while holding a bright lantern, so he draws the attention of just about everyone. The Angry Mob see him putting weird shit in the well and take it as proof of sinister intent. The blacksmith impales him with a poker which KOs him. Holy shit! Again, Data routinely fails to get knocked out by Borg drones, but this blacksmith guy not only ripped his face off, but has now actually taken him out!

- Some time later, everyone's cured. Bev and Riker come down in shit alien disguises and say they're looking for Data. Garvin's daughter tells them that he was killed by Angry Mob, and then everyone realised he'd cured them, so they built a memorial plaque to him. Bev's tricorder scans show that Data's buried underground. in a rare twist, the transporters actually work this week, so we can just beam him from underground up to the Enterprise.

- He's reactivated in sickbay (SURELY SHOULD BE ENGINEERING, NOT SICKBAY) where his memories have returned. Patrick Stewart gets his contractually-mandated appearance by standing there looking concerned. With that all out of the way, Troi waves her new Big Commander Cock in everyone's face and Data calls her "sir".

I quite liked this but it's very slight overall, just a nice diversion more than anything else. They should really have focused on Talar more - it's sort of played for laughs that she's wrong about everything, but at the same time, she's clearly forward-thinking and on the cutting edge of science by the standards of the planet, and is doing the best possible job with the knowledge she has. She dismisses Data's better knowledge at first because it doesn't line up with the popular views of the world, but she starts to realise he's right when she sees his radiation studies... yet that's kind of it. She basically leaves the episode at that point. It's the most interesting aspect of the whole plot, the idea of a scientist getting the rare chance to access knowledge centuries ahead of her own, but she more or less just vanishes from the episode after a certain point. The rest of the plot is just a nice but obvious story about everyone getting ill from radiation poisoning and Data managing to save them all in time.

The other plot is the Troi stuff, which feels similarly underdeveloped, and similarly disappears from the episode partway through. I like that she's made a full Commander (though it would have been nice to have this be a running thing - she mentions her stint in command in "Disaster" but I don't think she's ever actually mentioned a desire to return to command since then), but the test isn't exactly exciting. You only get to see her briefly fail it once and then succeed on her next attempt with the pretty unimpactful conclusion of holo-Geordi sacrificing himself.

It's nice to get a story about a pre-warp world where the people aren't treated as useless inflexible dimwits who will immediately go insane and die upon seeing something outside their usual experience. The episode sort of wusses out by having Data lose all his memories of the adventure and the planet just sort of forgetting about him with a memorial, though. It'd have been nice to have had some indication of how Data's visit might have impacted the planet going forward - Talar's knowledge has been vastly increased and she now has access to various advanced makeshift tools created by Data, the people learned about the existence of androids (though they weren't familiar enough with androids to conceptualise the experience as such), etc.

5/10

MojoJojo

I like it - yeah it's light but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Things that bugged me
-the radiation box not having even a basic lock on it. Maybe the federation has treatments for radiation poisoning so they can afford to be really blasé about it?
- the selectiveness of Data's amnesia - he can't remember what radioactive means?
- I'm don't know much about optics or microscopes, but I'm pretty sure just putting a load of magnifying glasses on top of each other doesn't work - and if it did I think it's reasonable to suggest this wouldn't be some amazing invention of Data's.
- The lamp Data uses when poisoning the well is like 300 years more advanced than any other technology we see. (OK, this only bugged me because Technology Connections did a video on lamps)
- So after they kill Data for poisoning the well, they just ... drink the poisoned well water?

Agree the Troi plot feels underdeveloped. It's a shame, the character seems much better formed in this and the last season, but the stories she's in are wasting her.

FredNurke

Presumably the 'illness' plot was inspired by the Goiânia accident several years earlier?

Lemming

Quote from: MojoJojo on June 15, 2022, 12:15:16 PM- So after they kill Data for poisoning the well, they just ... drink the poisoned well water?
I wondered about that too - though Garvin and his daughter were already recovering and the latter knew of Data's plan, so I guess it'd be pretty simple for them to explain his true intentions to everyone, with the proof of their own recovery.

daf

167 | "Thine Own Self"

Ice Ice Maybe

Highlights
• Bev's Midnight Bridge Time
• The Talking Trombone Sketch
• The Iceman Theory
• Troi's Turbulent Technical Test Tantrum
• The Cardboard Anvil Lifting Sketch
Other Bits :
• Mystery Metal Malaise
• The Fire/Wood Debate
• Jayden's Leaning Tower of Peepers
• Vengeful Villagers' Violent Vendetta
• Data's Flashy Heavy Metal Disco-Bonce

Score :

Blumf

It feels like there should have been a thematic link between the Data and Troi stories. They're both solid on their own merits, and it's great to see Troi getting her career shit together, just seems like they spunked two viable stories into one needlessly.

Quote from: Lemming on June 15, 2022, 04:02:37 AMI love the idea that all bridge officers have to specifically kill Geordi to pass.

Every bridge officer does it, except Geordi, who has no idea.

I just love the way the holo-Geordi is so nonchalant about being sent to his death, just a "<shrug> Whatever, I was gonna kill myself tonight anyway" attitude to it.

You'd think, for the first step on this command track at least, you wouldn't use recreations of your actual crew mates. But then Star Fleet do seem to enjoy giving their trainees PTSD, almost like they're some weird cult.

MojoJojo

It's a bit confusing - was the test all Troi had to do to get promoted? Feels like it would have really benefitted from being spread over a few episodes - it's wouldn't need much, just a scene with Troi complaining about all the exams or some combat drills or something. Would have given the test a bit of weight.

Quote from: Blumf on June 15, 2022, 03:27:13 PMI just love the way the holo-Geordi is so nonchalant about being sent to his death, just a "<shrug> Whatever, I was gonna kill myself tonight anyway" attitude to it.

"Shit, I knew we should have kept O'Brien around for something"

Lemming

S07E17 - Masks

An ancient computer begins to transform the ship into a long-lost city.

- Troi's in school checking in on the kids, and starts ragging on some kid's shitty bird sculpture. Turns out Data has, at long last, checked himself into primary school - he hopes to be able to make abstract and evocative sculptures out of clay, bringing him up to speed with that DALL-E thing everyone's using to generate weird shit right now.

- There's a comet, which forces Troi and Data out of primary school and back to work. While the Enterprise is checking it out, it's suddenly and briefly bathed in Weird Light.

- Because nobody goes to work anymore, Troi and Bev hang out in the latter's quarters and plan to go to one of Worf's yoga classes. Before leaving, they see a weird new clay sculpture on Troi's table. Bev reckons Riker left it as a gift (???) and they think nothing of it.

- Later, Data and Troi are back in school. There's something so weird about season seven, it's like they're not even on a starship half the time. Floating youth centre in space. Data's made a clay model of a strange mask. Troi recognises the sun-like symbol on the mask as being the same as the one on the weird obelisk left in her room. Then the computers start glitching out and displaying more cool symbols.

- Geordi and Riker check out the computers and decide that data is being downloaded from the comet into the computers. Data says he recognises the symbols somehow. In the end, everyone agrees it'd be funny to shoot the comet with a gentle phaser that melts the ice without destroying the core. The result is that the ice melts away and reveals an ancient structure.

- Everyone is stumped by what this thing is meant to be. The brains trust on the bridge wonder how this came to be, when Data interjects and says it's an informational archive. While Data goes to get his head checked, Picard reckons that we should allow the download instigated by the archive to go ahead, but be generally careful about it.

- More clay artifacts are showing up on the ship. Picard revels in the chance to engage in a bit of archaeology, aka making shit up. Could the objects be ceremonial or ritualistic in nature?!!? Could they symbolise movment?!?! I love the way this scene ends - Picard's identified a secondary symbol that commonly occurs only in the background in relation to the others, and presents it as a big finding. "What does it mean?" Riker asks. "I have no idea," Picard says, and then it instantly cuts away to another scene.

- Data's got a USB in his head. He starts saying freaky shit during his diagnostic, then his brain goes weird and a symbol appears on his head. MASAKA IS WAKING, he says, then goes to sit on the warp core.

- Data has become some loser called Ihat. Picard comes to talk to him and asks him what's up with the archive. Ihat's annoying as fuck but gets the message across that we don't want to be around when Masaka wakes, because Masaka is PAIN and DEATH etc.

- Geordi and Troi have looked into what the fuck's going on and reckon that Data's brain is being used to hold multiple different personalities from the ancient civilization. Picard goes to talk to the weird people inside Data to find out what Masaka is. Masaka will fuck you up when she awakens, so Korgano has to keep her asleep. The ship gets fucked by some inverse-tractor-wedgie and Ihat says that Masaka has awakaned.

- Worf and the SECURITY DREAM TEAM report to Ten Forward, where a better obeslisk has appeared. Picard comes and looks at it and thinks it's an obelisk to Masaka. Geordi's found out something way more batshit though - the actual matter of Ten Forward has been transformed into this obelisk. The ship itself is being transformed into a temple. Deck 12 is now an aqueduct! Picard's had enough so orders that the archive be destroyed.

- Oh GOD we're locked out of weapons, partially because snakes have erupted from the power bank thingy. Plants and bricks appear in Engineering and Masaka's symbol becomes a screensaver.

- Because the briefing room is a swamp now, everyone's got to talk on the bridge. Verdict: no good ideas. Picard goes to talk to the Data-people again to learn more about Masaka, and hears again that only Korgano can talk to Masaka. Picard agrees to act as a sacrifice to Masaka to save the others, so Ihat tries to give him THE SIGN by ACE OF BASE which will allow him to build THE QUEEN'S TEMPLE, but is apparently stopped by Masaka. Data then turns into some old man who manages to tell Picard the rest of THE SIGN.

- Geordi accesses the program that's transforming the ship. He puts THE SIGN into the surprisingly user-friendly interface and an entire deck transforms into Masaka's temple. Troi notices some symbols that have been paired and Picard bounds up towards them to flex his amateur archaeology muscles again - he concludes that the smaller background symbol appears to be chasing Masaka, and could represent Korgano. Because Masaka is the sun, Korgano is the moon.

- Data becomes Masaka, takes the MASK OF MASAKA and equips it, then leaves his quarters and KOs the guards in the corridor and sets off for the temple, where Troi and Worf are really getting into the whole symbol-analysis thing. Data somehow appears in the chair at the edge of the room without them noticing (???) and tells them to fuck off out of the temple. They do, and go back to look at the transformation software again. They put the other symbol in, hoping it doesn't transform the Enterprise into a giant dildo. All it does is spawn another mask. Picard reckons he can put the mask on and fill the role of Korgano, which will force Masaka to listen to him.

- Masaka accepts Picard as Korgano. Using what he's learned about Masaka being the sun and Korgano being the moon, he manages to string enough metaphorical bullshit together to persuade Masaka to leave. The ship instantly reconfigures to its original settings. Another superb bit of editing - Riker calls Picard to tell him that everything's back to normal, and does so while the everything's-back-to-normal CGI effect is like, still playing. Riker's barely had time to even notice anything happening, let alone confirm that the whole ship is fixed!

- Data's fine too. He says there were like thousands of people in him (phwoar). Picard enthuses that this must have been really cool, and decides to call the whole thing a job well done without wondering what the fuck any of that was about.

The concept of the ship being transformed into an ancient city is really good. I want to like this but ultimately I think it's got more problems than successes:
- Data's personalities are honestly just annoying. These are the lens through which we get the entire ancient culture and they're a bunch of incredibly broad archetypes. No fault to Spiner's performance, I'm not sure there's much more he could have done, but it's not a good thing for the episode that whenever the 87-million-year-old people start talking, your reaction is less "wow! ancient mysteries" and more "please shut up".
- The typical season seven lethargy strikes again. I actually really like Stewart's low-energy performance here, something about it really worked for me, but ultimately the ship is being transformed into a fucking deathtrap and nobody cares. In season one or two this would have been shit-your-pants scary.
- The complete lack of explanation hurts, rather than helps, this one. I think I get what they were going for - the whole civilization is based around metaphor and symbolism and myth, so you don't need to know what Masaka actually is. But here it just feels underwhelming in the end: the ship has been taken over by people we know nothing about, led by a godlike figure we know nothing about, who is talked down via some means we barely understand beyond very broad moon-and-sun imagery, and still don't know anything about by the episode's end.

Is Masaka an actual person? Was the "Masaka" who existed in Data some kind of priestess who ascended to the role of representing the god Masaka? Was Masaka an actual god? Is Masaka a fictional/mythological character? Why can Masaka control the transformation program - or is she just a character in the program? Why does the program transform the ship slowly, rather than all at once? Why do you have to manually build Masaka's temple to talk to her, even though when you do build it, she just tells you to fuck off? Was everyone in the entire civilization actually just a computer program from the start, and they went into standby mode and drifted around in a comet?

Or were the people inside Data not real people, but fictional mythological figures, hence their archetypal nature? Was the archive built (assuming the civilization wasn't a computer program to start with) by Masaka worshippers as a pro-Masaka thing, or Korgano worshippers as a pro-Korgano thing? Maybe they're worshipped in tandem? Is it anti-Masaka religious propaganda made to make the recipient of the download hate Masaka - isn't it funny that we never hear anything positive about her or encounter any of her worshippers, as far as I remember, and every character basically exists to paint her as demonic?

Why is the computer program doing this at all - does it want to force you to live through a myth in order to understand the culture (in which case, total failure)? Do they want to revive the Masaka cult? Is it a work of fiction designed to amuse or excite the recipient, and this was their equivalent of movies and videogames? That'd be fantastic, if Geordi basically unwittingly accessed the dev console and the symbols he entered were cheat codes, which spawned the Korgano mask needed to beat the game.

Again, leaving a lot of these questions open could make for a fascinating story that keeps the viewer thinking about it long after it's over, but in this case, it didn't work for me. We're just given so little information in the actual episode that there's no desire to really ask any of these questions, because there's barely anything to investigate on-screen. The episode doesn't invite you to wonder about any of these things either. Joe Menosky writes really good stuff about mythology a lot of the time and if you take this in the context of some of his other SMASH HITS (TNG's "Darmok" and Voyager's "Muse", for example), you can get what he was going for, but IMO this one's a bit of a flop sadly.

daf

168 | "Masks"

Think Droid's Mask Pride of the Loon

Highlights
• Troi's Creative Clay Class-ter Fudge
• Sherlock LaForge Investigates : "The 87 Million Year old Rogue Comet Conundrum"
• Ancient Archaeology Archive Assimilation Annihilation
• Sherlock Droid Investigates : "The Masaka Mask-Making Mysteries"
• Perplexing Pictogram 'puter Plague
Other Bits :
• Data Split Personality #1 : Cackling Twat
• Data Split Personality #2 : Grovelling Gnat
• Data Split Personality #3 : Scaredy Cat
• Data Split Personality #4 : Croakedy Crone
• Picard's Korgano Ship-Saving Improv Waffle

Score :

Blumf

What if the archive thing actually was a weapon? Created by a race like in the Darmok episode so it's full of story telling, but the trick is the stories are just a distraction whilst the system slowly transforms the target into rubble.

Would be a more interesting take than an Inner Light retread. Would explain why the characters are so annoying too, a passive aggressive Doomsday device.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Lemming on June 19, 2022, 04:37:19 AMS07E17 - Masks
- Later, Data and Troi are back in school. There's something so weird about season seven, it's like they're not even on a starship half the time. Floating youth centre in space.
Yeah, it really feels like they've completely run out of ideas to do with space ships.
Quote- The complete lack of explanation hurts, rather than helps, this one. I think I get what they were going for - the whole civilization is based around metaphor and symbolism and myth, so you don't need to know what Masaka actually is. But here it just feels underwhelming in the end: the ship has been taken over by people we know nothing about, led by a godlike figure we know nothing about, who is talked down via some means we barely understand beyond very broad moon-and-sun imagery, and still don't know anything about by the episode's end.

Yeah... and this is a bit nerdy perhaps, but it annoys me that the whole mythic story structure that Picard solves to save the day is so explicitly routed in human myths. Like, OK it all looks a bit Egyptian, got to get your visual inspiration from somewhere, but the whole Sun/Moon thing only works on planets with precisely one moon! "Darmok and Jalad" demonstrates how you can make up myths that sound mythic, but here it's all very directly cribbed off human myths. The destructive female goddess who everyone else tries placate and avoid her rage, is like the Eye of Ra from Egyptian mythology, and there are dozens of examples of sun and moon chasing/hunting each other across different mythologies. It's like the writers had been watching too much Stargate.

Video Game Fan 2000

Darmok works because its premised on the idea that myths share common features, not about the specifics of the stories but the commonalities between the roles myths play in different languages. Which is a fairly unique angle and probably why its such a beloved episode. In Masks the focus is totally on the specifics of the solar drama, and the role of the sun and the moon. The probe must have come from a planet with exactly the same orbit, tilt and same sized moon as earth. With the planet and the moon in the same relative orbits as earth.

If the planet had two moons or different seasons Picard never would have worked it out. The way that Darmok was written, they could imply alien mythology with strange animals, customs and places - but in Masks if they'd gone for an alien-seeming myth it would have been total nonsense to the viewer.

Lemming

Sorry for the delay, I usually watch and review these at about 2 AM but for the last few days the heat has been knocking me out much earlier than that, sending me to sleep on the floor and making me wake up hours later going "uuuurgh".

S07E18 - Eye of the Beholder

An investigation into a suicide leads Troi into a nightmarish hallucination.

- Oop, ship's blowing up again. In a weird side-room I don't think we've been to before, a guy is stood before an exposed MEGA-PLASMA FIELD, apparently about to commit suicide. Riker reckons he's got what it takes to talk someone out of it. Predictably, within seconds of Riker's have-a-go intervention, the man leaps into the warp core and is vaporised.

- All in a day's work. Everyone gets together in Picard's ready room to find out what could have prompted this guy, Kwan, to kill himself. Turns out he spent much of yesterday with Riker, that explains it. Picard assigns Troi and Worf to have a proper snoop around to learn more.

- Geordi's got to get the engines up and running, so Data chooses this time to distract him with his "please explain to me the human experience of suicide" bullshit. Data says that he was once suicidal when his neural net went fucky, but overcame it by seeing his problems as exciting challenges to overcome. If he can do it, so can you, depressed Star Trek viewers!

- Troi and Worf find Kwan's latest log. Seems fine, doesn't even mention his impending plan to vaporise himself. Bit of a mystery! Troi goes to tell Kwan's girlfriend about what happened, and learns that "it's not like Dan to take his own life". Well, yeah, he's never done it before, I assume.

- In Engineering, Troi meets Lt Nara, a red herring with whom Kwan had INTERPERSONAL ISSUES. Troi goes to put her face up to the plasma thing Kwan leapt into to see what happens, and gets extremely dizzy, like Vic Reeves levels of dizzy.

- In sickbay, Troi tells everyone about the mad psychic headache she just got. Riker, the resident expert, reckons it could have been an EMPATHIC ECHO. Troi thinks it would be a laugh to go up there again and see what happens, but Bev tells her that her telepathy-hormone levels are really high and she was nearly overwhelmed, so she should wait a while before doing it again, and take someone with her for safety.

- Worf and Troi meet up in her quarters to really hash out their investigation, which is currently going nowhere. Troi tells a story about her mad racist grandpa, and Worf explains how he sometimes trips out while staring into the fireplace. The inquest into Kwan's death is in good hands with these two. The whole scene I was distracted by the fact that Troi sits with her legs folded on the sofa, but she's wearing her boots. On the sofa.

- Kwan dying right before his eyes has hit Riker really hard, so he's mourning by hanging around in Ten Forward wearing a wanker's shirt, laughing it up, going on a date with a subordinate, and generally having the time of his life. It's what Kwan would have wanted.

- Back in the Suicide Room, Troi can't wait to go shove her head into the plasma-agoniser once again, this time with Worf here so he can watch her plunge to her death. As she looks into the thingy, she sees a vision of a woman being murdered, and a dodgy guy doing the murdering. She turns round to discover Worf is GONE (dishonourable) and that she's moved back in time to when the Enterprise was being built at Utopia Planetia.

- Opening a door, she sees two random construction workers - one of whom was the woman getting murdered a second ago - kissing. She tries to leave and bumps into Worf back in the present. This is all relayed to Picard, who reckons that this vision was definitely of a real event. Bev says she'll whip up a PSYCHIC COCKBLOCKER to prevent Troi's head from bursting next time she goes to gaze upon the plasma thing. While that's being prepared, Troi goes to look at the embarrassing passport photos of everyone on the Enterprise to see if she can see the dodgy guy. She finds him, and he's some engineer called Walter Pierce.

- Worf and Troi go to really bust this guy's balls. He's a weird and sketchy dude who claims not to know anything about anything. Troi can't read him so she hauls ass since her one interrogation advantage is in ruins. She and Worf scuttle off to her quarters to lick their wounds and wallow in their piss-poor investigative skills.

- It's bedtime, it's beddy-byes, it's sleepytime, so Worf bids Troi goodnight. But ROMANCE crackles in the air between them and, instead of going back to his quarters, Worf kisses her. The Worf/Troi shippers (all zero of them) finally get their wish after seven seasons!

- The next morning, Troi's zonked out in bed while Worf has been up since like 4 AM and has made BREAKFAST. Troi suggests that breakfast can wait because they can fit more shagging in, but Bev shits on the parade by calling them into work. A bit later, Troi gets the PSYCHIC COCKBLOCKER and leaves to go put her head in the pain-giver field again, but as she leaves, she sees Worf chatting away with Kwan's ex-girlfriend, Calloway. A tense musical sting tells you this is frightening.

- Troi orders Geordi to remove part of the wall based on what she saw in THE VISION. As soon as he does, she gets the murder visions again. They scan through the wall and see a corpse hidden inside.

- The bones from the corpse get brought in on a tea tray and Bev has a full-on gander at them. The DNA on them shows that the corpse is that of Marla Finn, who went missing eight years ago, and is the woman Troi saw in the vision. Cross-referencing with Kwan's record shows that he showed up after Finn's death, so Troi can't have been seeing his memories. She realises she was instead seeing through Pierce's eyes.

- On the way to beat Pierce up, Troi asks Worf what's going on with their relationship. She decides she's not feeling well and that Worf should go kill Pierce on his own while she goes to relax in her roomy quarters. Freakily, Pierce shows up, walks in, and glares at her weirdly. She tries to call Worf but the computer says he's in Calloway's quarters. Troi loses her shit and goes over there to give them a piece of her mind. They're kissing, and they both start laughing in her dumb face, just like the two engineers in the vision. She freaks out and shoots Worf with a handily-placed phaser. It's fatal, so Troi freaks and runs away, where she bumps into Pierce, who indicates she should go kill herself.

- In the Suicide Room, Troi rushes up to the shit-wrecker field to throw herself into it. She says she knows what she has to do, same as Kwan said, then Worf suddenly pulls her away. Turns out everything from the point at which she went here with Worf has been a hallucination!

- Back in reality, the gang check up on Pierce and find that he died along with Finn and some guy eight years ago in an accident. Troi gives some crazy explanation about how when Pierce went into the plasma field, it caused his memories to float around or something, and Geordi hilariously adds "like a psychic photograph". I absolutely could not tell you what the fuck they're talking about here. I get the idea - when Pierce vaporised himself, he left behind some kind of telepathic energy including his memories of THE MURDERS, but the exact mechanics of how and why that happened are a total fucking mystery.

- Job well done. Worf asks why Troi was so happy to see him when he retrieved her from the hallucination. Troi teases him and walks off. Looks like it's one-all - Worf hopped to a parallel universe where he was married to Troi, and Troi had a hallucination where she was in a relationship with Worf. No progress is made in the real world.

As with other recent episodes, the actual outline of the plot and the structure of the episode is pretty good, but something about it feels flat. I like the sequence from Pierce entering Troi's quarters to Troi trying to kill herself, it's very effectively nightmarish and surreal in a way that probably should have been building throughout the episode. The visual of the skeleton in the wall is also really horrific in a way you don't normally get on Star Trek.

I don't understand what was going on with Pierce. Everyone seems to agree he was probably a murderer, but at the same time, they acknowledge they can't be sure what happened. The mechanics of the "empathic echo" or whatever being so vague don't help - in the vision, it's Pierce that encourages Troi (and presumably Kwan) to kill herself, so is his consciousness still there, and just inexplicably trying to get people to hurl themselves into the plasma thing? Or did Troi's mind just make him the bad guy? Don't get it.

A lot of the ingredients are right but IMO it's another victim of this season's flat, lethargic feel. It's another one that might have fared better in season two, when they were somehow much better at doing eerie horror. 5/10

daf

169 | "Eye of the Beholder"

Flirty Deanna

Highlights
• Rigid Riker's Plasma-leap Fudge-up
• Sherlock Droid Investigates : The Self Preservation Instinct Mysteries"
• Sherlock Troi Investigates : "The Pierce Peeper-Perspective Puzzles"
• Randy Riker's Amazing off-duty Pulling-Blouse
• The Awkward Worf Dating Permission Sketch 
Other Bits :
• Wromantic Worf's Smoochy Session
• Wall Skellington Search Scan
• Tense Troi's Turbo-lift Trust Turmoil
• Cackling Calloway Canoodle Confrontation Crack-up
• . . . and it was all just a Dream! *

Score :

* (How much of this actually happened - did Troi and Worf do a snog? Did Riker wear that blouse?  And what was going on with Troi's weirdly off-model plumptious top-lip?)

MojoJojo

Quote from: Lemming on June 25, 2022, 01:39:02 AMI don't understand what was going on with Pierce. Everyone seems to agree he was probably a murderer, but at the same time, they acknowledge they can't be sure what happened. The mechanics of the "empathic echo" or whatever being so vague don't help - in the vision, it's Pierce that encourages Troi (and presumably Kwan) to kill herself, so is his consciousness still there, and just inexplicably trying to get people to hurl themselves into the plasma thing? Or did Troi's mind just make him the bad guy? Don't get it.

Yeah, it feels like the writers were only interested in th "it was all a dream" reveal and lost interest after that. They sort of screw the all in Troi's head aspect, as there is a scene in sickbay when Troi isn't there.

The bit with the bones on the tea tray felt weird - in fact all the stuff with the bones felt weird. If I was feeling generous that would be a subtle nod that something is wrong, but I suspect it's just a bit naff.

Lemming

For no clear reason, I jolted awake earlier with a realisation: why didn't they just beam the suicidal guy directly to sickbay? Or like, the brig as a temporary measure until medical staff could be assembled to assist him? Why leave it all in Riker's hands? No doubt there'd be "too much interference" in the exact spot the dude was standing, but still.

Quote from: daf on June 25, 2022, 05:19:55 PM* (How much of this actually happened - did Troi and Worf do a snog? Did Riker wear that blouse?  And what was going on with Troi's weirdly off-model plumptious top-lip?)
I think everything from the moment she turns around to see that she's in the past is the dream. If so, Riker did indeed wear the awful blouse in reality!

dontpaintyourteeth

It occurs to me that I have almost no recollection of Season 7 at all besides the ghost shagging episode and the finale. Hard not to feel like it probably ended at the right time.

MojoJojo

Yeah, I'm finding it a bit of a slog to be honest - and I notice there isn't much being commented on. A big issue is how low key the performances are - no one gets excited or scared about anything. I wonder if they finally got embarrassed with parodies mocking the hammy acting and decided to tone everything down.

Lemming

It's hard to pinpoint exactly what's wrong with it - the lowkey performances are definitely an issue, but most of the TNG cast's performances have always been quite flat (Garrett Wang insists this was deliberate direction given to actors playing human characters on the Berman shows). The plots are theoretically fine but somehow just consistently fail to come off. There's no clear reason why "Masks" and "Eye of the Beholder" are as boring as they are, the plot outlines themselves are solid, even good.

One thing I've noticed is a relative lack of background extras in most scenes. It feels like there's about twenty people on board, which doesn't help the dull feeling the season gives off. I wonder if there's some behind-the-scenes production reason why everything feels sort of limp.

MojoJojo

Lacking clear antagonists or problem to be solved, maybe? They just seem to bumbling around out of curiosity, with no clear objective. Ties in with bridge/quasi-military stuff being almost completely dropped.

Lemming

S07E19 - Genesis

Picard and Data return to the ship to find it adrift, with the crew de-evolved into strange creatures.

- Riker got impaled on a cactus while in a romantic interlude with an underling.

- Barclay's convinced that he's DYING but it's just some weird-ass alien flu. It's normally asymptomatic in humans, but Barclay is a genetic misfire, so Bev gives him a synthetic replacement for his crap genes. Big mistake!

- Nurse Ogawa checks out Spot the cat and discovers that she's pregnant (I thought Spot was male). Ogawa's a vet as well as a doctor? Anyway, she expertly uses this cat pregnancy scenario to reveal her own pregnancy. Wow!

- Nothing to do today so we're just playing around with shooting photon torpedoes into asteroids. Worf's set the tactical computer into WORFMODE which is meant to make the photons more accurate than ever before. Everyone watches as one of the torpedoes goes well off-course because WORFMODE is a glitchy mess. There's no way to remotely detonate it and we can't fire at it (Riker's a cunt to Worf about this for some reason), so Picard and Data go out in a shuttle to retrieve it.

- I can't get my head around this at all. How are they gonna recover a photon torpedo with a shuttlecraft? Data also says it could take "days" to do this???

- Data gives Spot to Barclay, who is to watch over Spot in case she gives birth. I like Barclay's characterisation and Schultz's performance here, it feels a lot more like his appearances in Voyager.

- After Picard and Data leave, Worf gets into a mood over WORFMODE being such a shitshow. Riker orders him to take a break because he's been working for six hours straight. Check out the groovy work culture in the future, where six hours is considered excessive!

- Worf's bailed on his lunch with Troi to guzzle a plate of hideous meat stuff. He's losing his goddamn mind and yelling and stuff, and Troi's getting freaked out by the allegedness dryness of the air aboard the ship. I like how everyone else in Ten Forward is fine, it's just these two getting fucked by THE VIRUS.

- While Worf goes to "rest" (by screaming and ripping his duvet apart), Troi orders a trillion glasses of water because it's just too dry in here. The whole scene is so bizarre, Worf's obviously got something seriously wrong with him and Troi's completely nonchalant to the point of absurdity.

- The next day, Barclay's going mental in Engineering, and Troi's getting more uncomfortable on the bridge. It's freezing as well as dry now, apparently, so she goes for a bath. In the middle of her shift as bridge commander, she just walks out. You can do that on this ship.

- Riker's baffled, scared, and can't remember what's going on. At least the virus doesn't seem to have affected him.

- Worf goes to find Troi, who's gotten in the boiling hot bath fully clothed. Worf comes to bite her face in the typical Klingon mating thingy, but luckily is so horrified after doing it that he backs off and they both go to sickbay. While Troi gets her fucked up face stitched back together, Worf loses the ability to speak, and then melts Bev's face off by spitting acid at her. Credit to Gates McFadden for the shockingly convincing face-melted-off-by-acid acting here. She's the director, by the way!

- Also major credit to Dwight Schultz for the spider performance in the briefing room!

- Riker, the last person unaffected by the virus, bumbles his way through another meeting. Jokes aside, why isn't Geordi affected? He's like, the only person who isn't. You don't even see him again later in the episode. Maybe he just de-evolved into himself? Data does say later on that you can evolve into anything in your DNA, maybe Geordi lucked out.

- Data and Picard have, through some unexplained off-screen means, retrieved the torpedo, somehow. They return to find the ship isn't there. Nobody's surprised, this is just run of the mill when you leave the ship with Riker. They find it nearby, drifting around spookily.

- On board, they find the ship abandoned and in darkness. They walk around calmly and agree that it's weird that the entire crew appear to be missing. Not seeming too bothered about it, they stride though the empty corridors of the ship and hear creepy animal noises. They see human-size shedded lizard skin, and again, aren't too freaked out by that.

- Troi's door is covered in slime. "Hm," Picard says, as if he's just seen a mildly interesting Reddit post, as opposed to the abandoned remains of his doomed ship. They go inside and Picard boredly remarks that the environmental settings have been altered. In the bathroom, they find a boiling hot bath, in which FISH TROI is submerged. FISH TROI can't breathe when lifted from the water, so they put her back in. Data scans her and says "she is no longer human". Uh, she wasn't human to start with.

- Picard and Data calmly agree it's weird that Troi is a fish now. They go to the bridge where they see a mutilated corpse. Not a named character so nothing to get too worked up over. From his console, Data can scan the ship and finds many more weird creatures scuttling about the place. Picard remarks that the Enterprise's entire power grid has been destroyed with the same amount of concern that you'd typically use when noticing that you've been overcharged by 2p at a shop.

- In the ready room, they find Riker, who's turned into a pre-human. He leaps onto Picard to beat the shit out of him but is stunned by Data. Picard and Data calmly agree it's weird that Riker is a pre-human now.

- During an ad break, they travel to sickbay, apparently without incident. They shove Riker on a biobed to see what's up, and Data says that dormant DNA is awakening in the crew. So, Troi's DNA had fish in it, and her DNA is now "recombining in an earlier configuration". This is because of INTRONS.

- Data uses Troi as the example when explaining this, then we get this fantastic exchange:
QuotePICARD: What about those crewmembers who are not from Earth?
DATA: All humanoid life has a similar genetic pattern. The virus should work on non-human crewmembers in the same way.
Picard says this immediately after it's explained to him how Troi specifically is de-evolving. You know, Troi, who is not human and not from Earth.

- Picard has the virus too, and will turn into a lemur or some freaky shit like that in 12 hours. We need answers, so we stand at Bev's Slush Puppie table to brainstorm. For some reason or another, Data's personal computer is not affected by the entire power grid being shut off, so we head over there first. In his quarters, we find kittens! They go "mew mew mew", but Spot is unable to feed them, as she has de-evolved into a lizard.

- This is weird, because the kittens are unaffected by the virus. Picard reckons it's got to be some weird womb-related shit - Spot has magic womb antibodies which shielded the kittens from the virus, and apparently made them permanently immune from it, I guess. We need to find human antibodies to create an antidote for the crew (human antibodies will work on non-human crew, don't worry about it). If only there was a pregnant woman on board! Wait, Nurse Ogawa just found out she was pregnant a couple days ago! Fantastic!

- I love the insane luck they're having here - they needed a pregnant cat to give birth on this exact day to figure out what to do, and they needed a pregnant human/humanoid woman somewhere on the ship to find the right antibodies for the crew. They also needed an android crewmember to make the cure, as he's unaffected by the virus. Imagine how fucked literally any other ship would be.

- One of the warp plasma vents fails. This will probably cause the ship to explode, so they go to Engineering to fix it, since everyone else in the area has turned into like a tortoise or whatever. Picard gets jumpscared by Barclay, who's now a spider. Picard becomes intensely terrified, because lemurs are really shitty and get spooked by everything.

- They find Ogawa, who is a monkey now. Her magic womb antibodies are looking good, and Data can easily turn them into an antidote for the crew. Picard's lemur-fear activates again when the door of sickbay is attacked by a six-foot tall armour-plated alien killing machine (de-evolved Worf).

- Picard's terrified and cowers in the corner of sickbay, theorising that Worf has gone crazy with mating urges, and that's why he's trying to get into sickbay to reach Troi (who's here now??). Data takes Troi's pheremones and gives Picard a special hypospray that contains them. Picard can now spray them to attract Worf's attention and lure him away from sickbay.

- The plot of this episode is now that Worf, who has become the Predator, is attempting to rape Picard. Some people argue that this is the most "cerebral", thought-provoking show ever made for television.

- Lured by the pheremone spray ("THIS STUFF ATTRACTS WOMEN LIKE YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE" - KARACHI MEDICAL GAZETTE), Worf pursues Picard, fully erect and ready to penetrate Picard's lemur-anus. Picard bolts through the ship in absolute terror, Troi's pheremones stuck to his ass, with Worf in hot pursuit. He narrowly makes it into a turbolift before Worf can shove his erect armour-plated cock through the gap in the doors and violate him. But the lift won't move! He goes up the lift shaft like in Die Hard while Horny Worf gives chase.

- Picard flees into the Jeffries tubes. Worst possible position - Worf's behind him, and now his plump ass is fully exposed to Worf, who growls with horniness and draws nearer! Picard clambers fast in a desperate attempt to save his anus as Worf gets a full run-up to give him the penetration of his life. Thinking fast, Picard insulates himself with a bit of metal (famously insulatory material) and hooks a power cord up to the walls, frying Worf (non-fatally).

- Data's got the cure. Captain's log: everything worked out off-screen.

- Everyone's yucking it up in sickbay, howling with laughter over that guy Riker killed on the bridge. The reason this happened was something to do with the injection Bev (who's fine, btw, her face is back) gave Barclay at the start. Let's name the disease after him! Ho ho ho!

Let's get this out of the way - the finale with sex-mad Worf chasing after Picard, who's crawling ass-first through a Jeffries tube, is one of the funniest fucking things ever put to the screen. McFadden's direction even includes a shot of Picard's ass jiggling from behind as he clambers into a tube, followed immediately by Worf growling with arousal. Never laughed so hard in my life, except maybe at the ending of Sub Rosa.

Rest is terrible. All the build-up is just dull, and when Picard and Data return to the ruined ship, it somehow gets even duller because they literally don't care that the Enterprise is adrift with all crew missing presumed dead. They're like "oh, that's weird, nobody's here. Hm. Troi's a fish. Odd." Even when Picard evolves lemur-fear he sounds bored.

In addition to the general season seven malaise, the episode doesn't really seem to land on a clear tone. Troi getting increasingly tetchy over the dryness of the air as she turns into a fish could be pretty funny but it doesn't seem to be played for laughs. There's a few attempts at horror - the dull trip through the ruined ship, Bev's face being scorched away by acid - but they don't really land. The episode seems simultaneously aware of how dumb the concept is, but also intent on playing it straight. It's just a weird one to watch.

Someone had to be taking the piss with that ending though. 3/10

McFadden's direction is the strong point, everything that works about the trip through the abandoned ship is down to the way it's shot. I'd love to have seen her tackle a good creepy season 1/2 script.

dontpaintyourteeth

That episode sounds absolutely batshit but again, can barely remember it at all. I think the last time I rewatched TNG was only like four years ago as well. I'm quite perplexed. Legit hilarious review though. I'm looking up that Worf/Picard scene NOW.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

So apparently Gates McFadden was the only member of the cast who'd actually done any directing before Star Trek, and she'd asked several times to direct but been told no (meanwhile Jonathan Frakes got mentored, wonder why). Then they gave her this episode.

daf

170 | "Genesis"

Arachnids in the Barclay

Highlights
• Randy Riker's Prickleback Pluck-out
• Hypochondriac Reg's Bev Badgering
• Worf's Tweaked Torpedo Tits-up Test
• Data's Cat Spot #9 : Call the Moggie-wife
• Sherlock Droid Investigates : "The 12 Male Felines Mysteries"
• Wolfman Worf's Squid Scoffing Sketch
Other Bits :
• Caveman Riker's Woozy Mind-Melt
• Deanna Toad's Bulging Gills
• Searching with the Hand-lit Light (Crew of the Starfleet Jump and Shout)
• I Know What I Don't Like (in my Worf-flob)
• The Man Lies Down in Sickbay
• Sherlock Droid Investigates : "The Synthetic T-Cell Mysteries"

Score :