Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:33:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Halifax introduces name badges with pronouns

Started by Stigdu, July 02, 2022, 08:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

I hear Jordan Peterson has decided to remortgage his bungalow with a different bank now.

jobotic

When my friend started working at the Halifax her name badge caused all sorts of problems.

Her name? Abbey National!

When she answered the phone she'd say, "Hello, Abbey National, Halifax" and customers would say "well, which is it?"

Just thought of that joke in the shower. Fresh from my mind to you.

Buelligan

Two smirks in a row, fuck me, jobotic, YOU ARE ON FUCKING FIRE.

Thank you for making my Sunday even more perfect.

superthunderstingcar

I was just about to do exactly the same joke about my cousin, Bankof Scotland.

touchingcloth

Quote from: jobotic on July 03, 2022, 11:38:35 AMWhen my frown started working at the Halifax her name badge caused all sorts of problems.

When she answered the phone she'd say, "Hello, Abbey National, Halifax" and customers would say "well, which is it?"

I'm far less concerned about the pronoun badges than I am about the fact that Halifax is employing facial expressions these days.

Martin Van Buren Stan

One of the women at my local Halifax is basically a human eye roll so I'm not surprised

somersetchris

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 03, 2022, 11:14:45 AMThere is/was 'Ms'. I don't remember any nutjobs crying about 'compelled speech' then.

Oh yes that is exactly the kind of thing the Mail and their readers had a fit about in the 80's. It's political correctness gone mad! I need to know what this woman's marital status is!

imitationleather

ngl I honestly can't remember the last time I went into a bank

somersetchris

Quote from: imitationleather on July 03, 2022, 01:10:33 PMngl I honestly can't remember the last time I went into a bank

I can. I needed to re-activate a savings account and needed to appear in person in order to avoid any kind of identity fraud. Was not that long ago. I know some people who still pay me by cheque so I have to pay t hem in. Do I win?

imitationleather

Quote from: somersetchris on July 03, 2022, 01:12:36 PMI can. I needed to re-activate a savings account and needed to appear in person in order to avoid any kind of identity fraud. Was not that long ago. I know some people who still pay me by cheque so I have to pay t hem in. Do I win?

Going from the first sentence I thought this post was going to be you recalling the last time I went into a bank.

Midas

I've always considered name badges to be props used to present the façade of a welcoming environment rather than actual social tools. I rarely refer to the customer service assistant by their first name because it seems to create an uncomfortable dynamic, where a one-sided level of interpersonal familiarity has been reached without having been earned.

Zetetic

Addressing them with a completely different first name and finding an opportunity to misgender them is the real way to get the upper hand in negotiations.

Catalogue Trousers

jobotic

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 03, 2022, 01:06:08 PMI'm far less concerned about the pronoun badges than I am about the fact that Halifax is employing facial expressions these days.

I just edited it so now you look kerazy

dissolute ocelot

Terfs want everyone to put a description of their primary sexual characteristics on their badges because BIOLOGY NOT FREE WILL. Although forehead tattoos at birth are the only way to be sure.

JamesTC

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 03, 2022, 05:07:12 PMTerfs want everyone to put a description of their primary sexual characteristics on their badges because BIOLOGY NOT FREE WILL. Although forehead tattoos at birth are the only way to be sure.

Would have thought none of that is necessary. As terfs like to remind people, they can always tell.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: somersetchris on July 03, 2022, 01:09:08 PMOh yes that is exactly the kind of thing the Mail and their readers had a fit about in the 80's. It's political correctness gone mad! I need to know what this woman's marital status is!

I remember that too.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 03, 2022, 08:25:45 AMOne of my best friends is called Stacy (he's a he). I've never met a female Stac(e)y.

I bought my drum kit off a man called Stacy. I have also met two women Staceys (Stacies?).

Reckon I can retire on that anecdote.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on July 03, 2022, 08:25:30 AMDoes anyone think they're doing this because they care about trans people? It's obviously for money. Banks don't care about your human rights, stop deluding yourselves

Thanks. That's really shaken me out of my woozy 'Ah, lovely banks' delusion.

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on July 03, 2022, 09:42:03 AMAmazon donated 10 million to BLM.

You never miss a chance to criticise black civil rights activists, do you?

touchingcloth

I know a couple where he's called Stacy and she's called Chad. When I say I know them I mean I've imagined them just now.

Stigdu

Nice that my first name is causing so much discussion. If you knew my middle name, you'd think I was an even bigger cunt (or my parents).

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Shaxberd on July 03, 2022, 10:09:22 AMAlso yeah others got to it first but if you don't want to put pronouns on stuff, don't, it's ok. A lot of people at my workplace do but I don't - I'm trans, my colleagues don't know because I transitioned ages ago and it's none of their business, I'd rather not stick my neck out because it's nice being able to take it for granted now.

Thanks for this. I've been wondering about the same thing. I don't put my pronouns in my work email signature either. I'm not sure why but it sort of feels like it's not for me. More like something the Young People™ do. That's not to denigrate it. It's good that workers and organisations are starting to care about trans/nonbinary staff and clients.

Turns out I got old.

imitationleather

I'll take any opportunity to flex my pronouns because I bloody love being a man.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: jobotic on July 03, 2022, 11:38:35 AMWhen my friend started working at the Halifax her name badge caused all sorts of problems.

Sorry to be a pedant but wouldn't callers just think she was in the Halifax branch of Abbey National?

Where my friend Hal E. Fax works.

It's him I feel sorry for.

jobotic

You're right, they need to be the other way round.

In fairness I was naked and wet when I wrote that.

Video Game Fan 2000

Fambo Number Mive

What a shock that someone starring in an advert turns out to be a tosser:

QuoteHoward Brown, who is best known for being the all-singing all-dancing face of Halifax's catchy adverts in the noughties, has since responded amid the bank's row with customers, reports Yorkshire Live.

Although he has been off the radar for a while and no longer works for Halifax, the 55-year-old has given his verdict after a member of the bank's social media team told customers they can close down their accounts if they don't like the companies change.

Brown described the attitude towards customers as 'shocking, wrong and disappointing' and told the Daily Mail that he wouldn't want to wear a pronoun badge if he still worked for the bank...

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/howard-halifax-adverts-says-wouldnt-24382385

The Manchester Evening News also quotes two rocket scientists:

QuoteJohn Mothersdale, commented on a Yorkshire Live post regarding the news, he said: "Glad I don't have an account with them then...saves me a job."

Allen Bell added: "Strikes me as in trying to make people more comfortable, they have managed to make people more uncomfortable. If I had an account with them I would immediately close it not because of the badge changing, but because they are supposed to be looking after people's money not their gender."

Allen Bellend.

Dr Rock

shoulders

"I opened an account with them so I could close the account down at once!

Just like the incredible numbers of people who 'leave' the Labour Party on social media comments after every news story concerning them.