Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:27:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cab Men II: Because fact into doubt won't go

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 29, 2018, 09:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: buttgammon on December 29, 2022, 12:03:44 AMThere's something about the tone of those ads that really irritates me. Even by advertising standards, there seems to be a sense that they were concocted by out of touch people who used a series of focus groups to determine what the zeitgeist is and badly failed. The voice-over is very annoying too.

They always seem to have a few completely different ads running concurrently as well. There's that one, and there's a few with millionaire pop stars (the Snoop one seems to have been on for decades) singing about getting shit fast food delivered (as if they've actually done that in at least 20 years.) It's not unheard of to see both in the same ad break. 

buttgammon

Quote from: Icehaven on December 29, 2022, 12:13:19 PMThey always seem to have a few completely different ads running concurrently as well. There's that one, and there's a few with millionaire pop stars (the Snoop one seems to have been on for decades) singing about getting shit fast food delivered (as if they've actually done that in at least 20 years.) It's not unheard of to see both in the same ad break. 

Now that you mention it, it is weird that they're running all these at the same time. There's the Katy Perry ones too.

jobotic

Quote from: Des Wigwam on December 18, 2022, 04:40:18 PMYou are not. I had my quarterly exposure to live (hotel) TV the other week and saw this one several times. The usual "security" ads usually have the well-off mid-sixties lot being re-assured by a manbut was quite surprised by this.

Is the one you saw three fantasy football types on a cheap sofa in one them's new house? I think one says "Nice new place you've got" and the other mystifyingly says "Hope you're keeping it safe!" to which he replies immediately with "Yea, got this great Verisure installed" rather than just pausing and saying "What? Keeping it safe? How do you mean?"

The demographic appears to be mid-30s LADS. Are they now seen as an untapped burglar alarm market?

I always think of this character when I see that dreadful advert

The supposed lefties at Channel 4 have collaborated with a private healthcare company (along with celebs like Alex Brooker) for a special ad campaign. I'm sure the Tories will really hate that.

magister

I tend to watch Talking Pictures' Friday night horror triple bills. There's three adverts that never fail to turn up. A 90 second one for Dormeo's mattress topper, Brian Blessed advertising Flash and one for incontinence pads, featuring Yoga Piss Lady. She bemoans that she can't do yoga or she'll piss herself. One incontinence pad later and she's hurling herself into Downward Dog or some such, while declaring, "I'm letting it all go."

seepage

^ those Tena Lady ads are scary, only outdone by the Geberit expensive bog ones

Fambo Number Mive

I keep getting an advert on Youtube that starts "Website visitors bouncing? Stress less!" Then I skip it, but being told "Stress less" actually makes me feel stressed. I wish it would fuck off. And I don't even have a website.

Des Wigwam

Asda (I think) have an ad on I've half caught a couple of times that's half disguised as a government advice ad promoting meat and dairy. It's a soft focus child doing kitchen things in sunglight that doesn't exist in the UK and then some cookery shots of a roast and then the tag like "dairy and meat". It reminded me of something off the Beef and Dairy Network. It's just odd.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Des Wigwam on January 13, 2023, 12:02:20 PMAsda (I think) have an ad on I've half caught a couple of times that's half disguised as a government advice ad promoting meat and dairy. It's a soft focus child doing kitchen things in sunglight that doesn't exist in the UK and then some cookery shots of a roast and then the tag like "dairy and meat". It reminded me of something off the Beef and Dairy Network. It's just odd.

Sounds like one of those Nancy Investigates Dead Animals adverts which the Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board like to roll out around Veganuary time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kQjzQ7uz0s. Don't think ASDA have got anything to do with it, but the typefaces and colour schemes used are quite similar to their branding.

dredd

Icehaven

One of my lecturers at uni looked so much like Harold Shipman that he ended up shaving his beard off to lessen the resemblance. Appropriately enough it actually took years off him.

Icehaven

That Edgar Wright McDonald's ad with a mob all marching to the golden arches to Oh Yeah is obviously awful but apart from anything else if they're all going to the same one it'll be a nightmare, they'll be queuing for hours.

boki

Quote from: Icehaven on February 17, 2023, 10:07:21 AMThat Edgar Wright McDonald's ad with a mob all marching to the golden arches to Oh Yeah is obviously awful but apart from anything else if they're all going to the same one it'll be a nightmare, they'll be queuing for hours.
I reckon the instigator's already ordered hers on the app and made it look like a spontaneous thing so that everyone else crams around the machines while she waltzes out with her lunch to a blissfully empty office.

monkfromhavana

The phrase "So you can enjoy an even rarer coin" has been rattling around my consciousness again.

Icehaven

I don't know why I find this ad for some shitty mobile game so funny, it's just how rude and angry the little people are, how seriously they obviously take the game and that they continue to yell their helium voice insults even when the player is doing well.

Sadly they don't feature in the actual game, it'd be much better if they did.

Bently Sheds

The hotel advert where a family wakes up and suddenly remembers that they're flying abroad for a holiday in a couple of hours, pack their cases in a panic, get their toddlers to pack their own bags and then rush last minute to the check-in gate.

As if anyone with two preschool kids hasn't already packed everyone's bags the night before and not excitedly looked forward to a foreign holiday for weeks beforehand.

Cerys

I'm not sure with that one - I was interpreting it as the kids having to pack stuff at the last minute because kids have a habit of deciding at the least convenient moments that they absolutely can't live without something.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Icehaven on March 12, 2023, 03:33:03 PMI don't know why I find this ad for some shitty mobile game so funny, it's just how rude and angry the little people are, how seriously they obviously take the game and that they continue to yell their helium voice insults even when the player is doing well.

Sadly they don't feature in the actual game, it'd be much better if they did.

That's awesome. I hate all the shitty puzzle game adverts that are "99% of people can't solve this", "brain age 98", and especially the ones that imply that if you don't buy their game you'll end up in the dementia ward. The only reason to play games are either the quest for eternal youth, or to get one over on the people who say you're shit at sliding block puzzles. Not because they're entertaining. I don't need insults to get me addicted to Killer Sudoku.

Icehaven

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on March 14, 2023, 08:27:35 AMThat's awesome. I hate all the shitty puzzle game adverts that are "99% of people can't solve this", "brain age 98", and especially the ones that imply that if you don't buy their game you'll end up in the dementia ward. The only reason to play games are either the quest for eternal youth, or to get one over on the people who say you're shit at sliding block puzzles. Not because they're entertaining. I don't need insults to get me addicted to Killer Sudoku.

It's just because you can't HANDLE this!

dontpaintyourteeth

I don't know if this is the right thread for this but I'm begging advertisers (and tv promo makers) to stop using the same two Lizzo songs everywhere

FEELIN GOOD AS HELL

Icehaven

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on March 14, 2023, 09:22:30 AMI don't know if this is the right thread for this but I'm begging advertisers (and tv promo makers) to stop using the same two Lizzo songs everywhere

FEELIN GOOD AS HELL

Yes it's about damn time they stopped that.

turnstyle

Nationwide continues its quest to produce the worst adverts in the entire history of advertising.

If this guy came to my house and wanged on about how much milk my kids were wasting I'd kick him right in the bollock.

Fambo Number Mive

Really dislike that obnoxious Specsavers ad trying to get people to try contact lenses in case their glasses get in the way when kissing. I'm fairly sure people have ways round that. Even if I was kissable it wouldn't make me want to get contact lenses.

Gurke and Hare

I've always found taking my glasses off to be the simplest solution.

dissolute ocelot

They should focus on the moment after when you get slapped in the face. Shit with glasses.

dissolute ocelot

I'm sure I've posted about this before with another ad, but do M&S endorse dropping nuclear weapons on southern Japanese cities? If not, why are they using the song "Enola Gay" in their adverts? I guess it's easier to use retro nostalgic war imagery than to make nice, interesting clothes. Have they heard "The Punishment of Luxury"?

oggyraiding

I think Just Eat also used Enola Gay within the last year or so. Obviously a pick for the upbeat music rather than for the meaning of the lyrics.

Gousto not Just Eat.

JesusAndYourBush

Over the last few years one (or more?) ads has been using a very basic stripped back instrumental of Spandau Ballets Gold.  Presumably to avoid paying royalties because if they still have to pay royalties on a crappy version they might as well use the proper one.

Quote from: oggyraiding on March 25, 2023, 11:45:28 AMGousto

Not as good since they got rid of Lovejoy saying "Give it some!"

seepage

Lloyds Bank have made another of their nauseating 'By Your Side' ads with the horses in. If they make one more I'm going to need a new TV.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on March 25, 2023, 11:21:07 AMI'm sure I've posted about this before with another ad, but do M&S endorse dropping nuclear weapons on southern Japanese cities? If not, why are they using the song "Enola Gay" in their adverts?

The anti-war song "Enola Gay"?