Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:26:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Only Connect

Started by Pie Pie Eater, October 12, 2020, 06:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McDead

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on December 30, 2021, 09:03:39 PMI'm the best there is, twathead.

Yknow, you are so close, I'm tempted to let you have the point

jobotic

Was tonight Champions programme new?

If so i was rooting for you Pie Pie Eater - close one!

Pie Pie Eater

Yeah it was! It was supposed to be 007s vs Dicers but they couldn't make it so we stepped in at the last minute

Jasha

Quote from: McDead on December 30, 2021, 01:54:25 PMOh, I like the missing vowels round, mainly cos I'm a fucking dynamo at it. Or to put it another way:

M THB STT HR S TWH TD

I'm the best there is at what I do

Those 2 walls looked right assholes though I got the
Spoiler alert
St's pretty easy
[close]

ElTwopo

I'd be quite happy if they just had 30 mins of the missing vowels round.

Pie Pie Eater

Quote from: Jasha on December 30, 2021, 10:11:33 PMThose 2 walls looked right assholes though I got the
Spoiler alert
St's pretty easy
[close]

Yeah definitely kicking ourselves for not spotting that, especially from Ive. It's just that insane panic that descends when you're not getting any groups!

McDead

Quote from: Pie Pie Eater on December 30, 2021, 11:07:47 PMYeah definitely kicking ourselves for not spotting that, especially from Ive. It's just that insane panic that descends when you're not getting any groups!

I kept thinking Ive was going to be a word answer, where you add a letter to make Five or Give, or something. Very annoying outcome, particularly as I am from Cornwall

Pie Pie Eater

Can't quite remember but I suspect that was our thinking at the time tooo

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

"George, we don't have time!"

What a bellend.

Jasha

Lad on the end looked close to tears at the end

amateur

Team captain for the Golfers said something like "just do your jobs" during the final wall, which I thought was very murky indeed.

Good final though and I enjoyed it.

jfjnpxmy

Quote from: amateur on January 24, 2022, 10:03:55 PMTeam captain for the Golfers said something like "just do your jobs" during the final wall, which I thought was very murky indeed.

Good final though and I enjoyed it.

They were pretty snappy with their teammates all the way through. Glad they got cuffed.

Gutted the Ramblers took third though. Steve Barnes was well delightful.

amateur

Quote from: jfjnpxmy on January 24, 2022, 10:23:38 PMThey were pretty snappy with their teammates all the way through. Glad they got cuffed.

Gutted the Ramblers took third though. Steve Barnes was well delightful.

Barnesy was great, as was Lorna on that team. The "it's the third place play off, fuck it" approach to going for five on one question was a joyous bit of business.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

yeah the golfers captain was a berk. "just do your jobs"? piss off it's a tv quiz show.

put me down as another Barnes fan. wouldn't mind seeing more of him on telly. i bet you would etc

Norton Canes

The winners last night were totally focussed and game-faced throughout. You wouldn't say they were a bundle o' laffs but they seemed perfectly pleasant.

I like that in the first couple of rounds members of both teams were keen to fill in the facts when Victoria was explaining answers. Proper gamesmanship. Shame it didn't descend into sledging

amateur

Also in the third place play-off - Barnesy and crew leaving the Lion wall for the Animal Lovers.

I nearly wept!

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on January 25, 2022, 10:07:47 AMyeah the golfers captain was a berk. "just do your jobs"? piss off it's a tv quiz show.
It was hilarious. Such a tosser. It's a lateral thinking puzzle not an assembly line, everybody needs to look at everything.

amateur

Belichick is a noted prick so not sure this is much of a defence.

Also only works when you win.

ElTwopo

He should have said "Just solve the wall"

JesusAndYourBush

Anyone been watching?

What was the solution to the flags question?  Flags with numbers written in the countries own language. 4th one was a union jack and "seven eleven".  It's not lyrics in the national anthem or flag ratio because I looked those up.  They gabbled it so I never heard the answer.

Ok I watched it again. It's
Spoiler alert
rhyming numbers in the language of the flag
[close]
Contestant said it once quietly *before* they've even said what's on the other 3 flags and I didn't quite catch what she said, no wonder it made no sense on a first viewing.

superthunderstingcar

I can't remember the last time I watched an Only Connect without at least once thinking the question writers must have been all

EOLAN

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on September 19, 2022, 08:21:11 PMAnyone been watching?

What was the solution to the flags question?  Flags with numbers written in the countries own language. 4th one was a union jack and "seven eleven".  It's not lyrics in the national anthem or flag ratio because I looked those up.  They gabbled it so I never heard the answer.

Ok I watched it again. It's
Spoiler alert
rhyming numbers in the language of the flag
[close]
Contestant said it once quietly *before* they've even said what's on the other 3 flags and I didn't quite catch what she said, no wonder it made no sense on a first viewing.

Also those Irish numbers never rhymed like that in my 14 years of schooling in it. (admittedly dialects can be extremely different). Would have been a 6 and a 9 for me, which would have bought its own links.

sprocket

Quote from: EOLAN on September 19, 2022, 10:21:47 PMAlso those Irish numbers never rhymed like that in my 14 years of schooling in it. (admittedly dialects can be extremely different). Would have been a 6 and a 9 for me, which would have bought its own links.

Same for me in Corcaigh, tree and neigh don't rhyme.

Utter Shit

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on September 19, 2022, 08:21:11 PMAnyone been watching?

Yep, really enjoying it as always.

I felt the losing team were very unlucky - the winners just by pure chance had a couple of questions that were perfectly in their wheelhouse (the language/numbers one in particular - speaking Gaelic made it 100x easier for them). Given the losers' ability on the missing vowels round, you'd have thought they would have taken that if the cards hadn't inadvertently been stacked against them.

Norton Canes

Plus they specifically answered the 'Going off a cliff' connection 'Going off a cliff in a car' which of course is wrong but VCM accepted the answer, seen her been more strict on that sort of thing

amateur

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 20, 2022, 10:10:17 AMPlus they specifically answered the 'Going off a cliff' connection 'Going off a cliff in a car' which of course is wrong but VCN accepted the answer, seen her been more strict on that sort of thing

She's definitely a lot more lenient in the first round when everyone gets another game regardless. Definitely recall it getting a lot stricter after that last series.

Enjoying it as well! Though there was a smugness to the Cryptics that I didn't much care for.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Utter Shit on September 20, 2022, 09:45:24 AMI felt the losing team were very unlucky - the winners just by pure chance had a couple of questions that were perfectly in their wheelhouse (the language/numbers one in particular - speaking Gaelic made it 100x easier for them). Given the losers' ability on the missing vowels round, you'd have thought they would have taken that if the cards hadn't inadvertently been stacked against them.

I think the Cryptics were too young to get any of the building societies and lost four points straight off the bat so the luck comes and goes.

Was genuinely shocked they didn't get the waterfalls on the board though.

Utter Shit

Yeah fair point on the building societies I suppose. The game is very well set up in that even a strong lead after the walls can quickly disappear if a team is really great at the missing vowels round.