Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:46:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Squid Game

Started by Ja'moke, September 26, 2021, 10:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

Quote from: Butchers Blind on October 08, 2021, 11:08:20 AM
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/deal/news/kent-schools-warn-against-watching-popular-netflix-show-255312/

Yeah because if you don't want kids to do something, get teachers to tell them not to.

There's something really funny and circular about this safeguarding issue being raised because the show has made high-school kids want to... play childhood playground games. Sounds like they thought it would be a laugh to play some Red Light Green Light (or What's The Time Mr Wolf), maybe the squid game itself, or the game with the shapes in the snacks, due to the novelty of them not really being played over here.

touchingcloth

Haven't watched this cos it sounds shite. However, I could be tempted by series 2 if it features Nicola Murray campaigning for the toys to be made of wood. Just the entire B plot of the series is that.

Custard

I really enjoyed this, for the most part. Agreed on the VIPs being a bit unwelcome and shit, mind

Like others I really didn't like
Spoiler alert
the twist in the last episode, and felt it cheapened the excellent marbles episode
[close]

I'd be quite happy if they left it there, but of course it'll be back. It's gone through the roof on Netflix

evilcommiedictator

Think I was reading an article in the Graun, talking about how Squid Game has a lot of political commentary that a lot of us in the west won't get, as SK young people face massive debt issues, their overall debt is more than GDP as they try and find affordable housing, education is locked off to the rich and there is no class mobility. Their new leftist candidate is promising a Universal Basic Income but has to win against a history of right-wing US backed candidates.
OH SHIT REALLY

Also this
https://twitter.com/TreborRhurbarb/status/1449322668021387265

Blinder Data

This Guardian article speaking to the VIP actors was interesting - and featured a wonderful final line:

Quote from: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/oct/19/they-didnt-just-pick-us-up-off-the-street-meet-the-globally-derided-squid-game-vips"I get tattoos of my signature. I get invitations for fellatio. I'm a star!"

Cuellar

Doesn't specify receiving or giving, mind

bgmnts

In regards to VIP four, i.e fat, perv lad?

QuoteHe was responsible for 32 Beatles books, including one that caused Olivia Harrison to write a letter to the Guardian stating: "The sight of Geoffrey Giuliano's face is enough to make anyone a recluse."

Retinend

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on October 08, 2021, 07:34:49 PM
Hmm, maybe it remembers your choices then. I was watching it on somebody else's TV. The English dub is shit btw. Like 80's Kung Fu bad, but without being funny.

This is totally unfair to the job that the actors did, IMO. I think the dub is really good, technically (I mean the lip sync), and in terms of acting. At least, I was very moved by the series, in spite of it not being the original Korean version that I watched.

Sure, dubbing always has the effect of making a watching experience seem more artificial, but in the case of this series the characters are already pure stock, they are played very broadly and the situations are already incredibly far-fetched. I really didn't mind suspending my disbelief for this aspect.

Retinend

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 15, 2021, 11:20:29 PM
Like others I really didn't like
Spoiler alert
the twist in the last episode, and felt it cheapened the excellent marbles episode
[close]

I don't agree that it cheapens that earlier episode. The earlier episodes show you the good side of the man - the childlike side. The twist shows you that there is something very dark about his character that you had never reckoned on, because you presumed things you should not have presumed. This is made more plausible because of the character's disability, which makes it easy to divide the man he "really" is, from the man we get to know. So all in all I was very satisfied with the twist.

(I tried hard here not to spoil anything, but also not to have to use spoiler tags)

Dr Rock

I think it would've been better if they left in all the clues about the old man, but never confirmed anything. It would soon become a 'cool theory'.

Retinend

Not paying attention to runtime, I thought it was about to end with the first death of the finale. That scene is very realistically shot, and with a lot of Hitchcockian tension leading up to it. So it felt very "final".

The plot that follows this death scene seems to deliberately take a turn for the overtly fictional, in contrast to the former scene: the physical transformation of the character sort of signposts that we're moving into a manga-like territory: that is, a purely fictional reality. As does the sudden passage of one year, which asks far more questions than it answers: instead asking you to go along with it, for what it means for the emotional state of Gi-Hun.

I was therefore "acclimatized" for the controversial twist ending[nb]as I was also "acclimatized" to the unreality of the entire organisation before the arrival of the VIPs, and so I also had no problem with them, either[/nb]. To it's credit, it fulfilled the desire I had to see a proper, more dignified final meeting for these two characters - and it transformed that relationship into one that gave room to leave some final words on the broader ethical themes. So, all in all, I'm definitely a fan of the decision the writer-director made: I think that he gave us the "real" ending, and the poetical, "unreal" ending, that - conveniently - leave fans like me hopeful for a second series that continues in the same vein.

studpuppet

Quote from: Blinder Data on October 19, 2021, 05:26:37 PM
This Guardian article speaking to the VIP actors was interesting - and featured a wonderful final line:

I have to say that (not having watched this) to have this serial grifter suddenly pop up in the talk surrounding it wasn't what I was expecting.

He's one of those, 'once met someone for five minutes at a party and now I can write the definitive biography' types - think Dylan Jones and Bowie, but much worse. He's not only annoyed George Harrison/Beatles fans, but also Bonzos/Viv Stanshall fans, after he hoodwinked Viv's ex-wife and daughter into giving interviews with a view to publishing a definitive authorised biog, only to turn tail and then use all the interviews for his own devices (he currently has 500 audiobooks for sale on Amazon - mostly read by himself...).

Retinend

From the article's opening:

Quote'Why is Squid Game's English-Language Acting So Bad?' demanded one recent headline, echoing the sentiment of hundreds of tweets and memes.

Apparently I'm well in the minority commending the dubbing effort then. Weird. I think it's because I went in with incredibly low expectations. Because I'm racist towards Koreans.

Rizla

Geoffrey Guilliano played the big fat noncey VIP?? Author of scurrilous macca biog "Blackbird", without which the world would have been denied this incredible piece of cinema? There's been a gangbang at the hat factory and no mistake.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Retinend on October 20, 2021, 02:00:09 PM

Apparently I'm well in the minority commending the dubbing effort then. Weird. I think it's because I went in with incredibly low expectations. Because I'm racist towards Koreans.

I didn't like the dubbing mainly because the main character should have had less of a 'cool voice' and more a bit manic or whiney-  more Steve Buscemi, less Steve Rogers.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Retinend on October 20, 2021, 02:00:09 PM

That wasn't about the dubbing, it was about the VIPs.

Ja'moke

I hope all this success of Squid Game convinces Netflix to buy the Korean game show The Genius Game.

studpuppet

Quote from: Rizla on October 20, 2021, 02:07:47 PM
Geoffrey Guilliano played the big fat noncey VIP?? Author of scurrilous macca biog "Blackbird", without which the world would have been denied this incredible piece of cinema? There's been a gangbang at the hat factory and no mistake.

Didn't know Macca was with Heather Mills while Lennon was still alive.

Thursday

Personally I didn't mind the VIP's maybe because it reminded me of the slight uncanny feeling of Westerners as depicted in Japanese video games, and the strangeness of them felt correct considering they take pleasure in watching these horrible things unfold.

evilcommiedictator

Hopefully this means more Korean cinema gets exposed to the outside world. There was this cool Korean film, OldBoy, maybe Hollywood could show that and possibly improve on that?

Fambo Number Mive

Michael Spicer's made an amusing "deleted scene" (spoilers at the beginning) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhqxGh9VBRA

Twit 2

1st episode was great. 2nd episode's slow pace and the fact that it was set outside the game was a big drop, almost gave up. Then it drew me in again, due to good characters and the games being tense and well-designed. Just finished episode six, which was moving, as people have said. Preparing myself to get annoyed at how it wraps up, but I am going to stick with it. My main complaint, which again I think others have said, is that there is too much extraneous stuff, which stretches the credibility of the premise and affects the pacing. Overall, it's good.

JamesTC

Don't understand the complaints about the ending. Felt right to me. It isn't like it was pulled out of nowhere.

holyzombiejesus

I'm sure it was on this thread and I think someone said that this wasn't as good as another Netflix series, that I think they said was called "My Cheerleader Can't Fly" or "My Teacher is a Witch" or something. Can anyone tell me the actual title please?

EDIT:

Quote from: canted_angle_again on September 26, 2021, 11:12:43 PM
I enjoyed this, it was pretty fun. Not as good as The School Nurse Files though.

Head Gardener

teaser for Squid Game 2 just leaked

Custard

Surprise surprise, there's more coming

https://collider.com/squid-game-season-2-renewed/

"Squid Game Universe"...bleaurrggh

Glebe

So I finally started watching this, ended up binging four episodes... surprized that a large chunk of it isn't contained within the Squid Game compound and also at the commendable amount of human drama and character development. Good stuff, looking forward to watching the rest of it.