Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:42:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Expanse - Season 6 (trailer)

Started by Mobius, November 16, 2021, 11:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obel

Well this is the best season since 3 I think. Maybe because they're compressing the story into 6 eps, but there's a lot of stuff going on. Shame that it's not getting much attention around these parts.

Filip is nowhere near as bad as he was last season I think, but Marco's actor is somehow even worse. To be fair sometimes his insufferableness makes me hate the character more. I like how this season is basically a war/submarine drama.

Chollis

Only watched the first episode but surely, surely they're not gonna focus another season around Marco Inaros and his son

Sebastian Cobb

Looks like there's some extra scenes that can be quite convoluted or impossible to view depending on how you're watching it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2021/12/24/22851119/the-expanse-season-6-final-amazon-x-ray

surreal

I'm interested to see how this wraps up, as I found the end of the Inaros plotline to be a bit of an anti-climax in the books.

Also (no spoilers) for anyone else who has read the books - was that Duarte who was talking to the girl about her brother?  Makes it even odder that they are including any Laconia stuff at all, maybe just laying some crumbs on the very off-chance that they get a movie or two.

Poobum

It was. Not read the books but find the idea of hardline Martian Laconians fascinating. Very interesting the way they're being portrayed. A nice contrast to the cartoonish Marco.

Have to say, did enjoy episode 4, and think Filip has definitely developed as a character. Am certainly more invested in what happens to him.

Bently Sheds

I didn't understand why
Spoiler alert
the Rocinante didn't just fire their railgun into Inaros' drive when his ship was temporarily disabled
[close]
as per what has happened in identical circumstances in many previous episodes.

surreal

Quote from: Poobum on January 01, 2022, 11:45:16 PMIt was. Not read the books but find the idea of hardline Martian Laconians fascinating. Very interesting the way they're being portrayed. A nice contrast to the cartoonish Marco.

Have to say, did enjoy episode 4, and think Filip has definitely developed as a character. Am certainly more invested in what happens to him.

I'm 100 pages from the end of the last book, they are worth reading as the series has moved some characters around and  merged some together.  The last 3 books (ie after the events of this final series) have a 30 year time jump and deal with the Laconia stuff which is why it's odd that it's being dropped in now unless they are laying a path.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Alcon Productions, which owns the rights to the books, will probably try to shop a second series based on the last three novels, and may try to generate interest by keeping the protomolecule stuff alive.

Inspector Norse

Three episodes in and I've enjoyed this more than the last two series - much more of the flashy space action and some hints of mystery dropped back in, things that were missing a bit of late. The pacing is much better than it has been recently and there's a sense that they're really building to something now rather than just trying to get different plotlines and ideas established after the big climax at the end of series 3.

It would have been better still if they'd just offed the methhead Jack Sparrow and his gormless offspring in the face-off with Rocinante in episode three, of course, but they'll hopefully get what's coming to them soon.

mothman

I don't want to be an arsehole on Twitter (any more than I am already) so when I saw one of the other cast members bigging up the acting ability of the actor playing the son, I really had to metaphorically bite my tongue. Guy Goma would be more convincing in the role.

Inspector Norse

I guess to be fair it has never been a show that does "good acting", even the odd serious name like Strathairn or Harris chewed a fair share of scenery when they were on it. We perhaps just notice Marco's crapness more because the character is so unlikable (and that he is so unlikable might even count as a success for the actor, given that he is supposed to be a knob).

beanheadmcginty

I wonder whether the Marco actor is trying to go for a Ricardo Montalban as Khan kind of performance, but is failing miserably because he's not Ricardo Montalban.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Currently watching the finale. It's worth freezing when it shows the screen with the vitals from the intervention crew, as in addition to "Draper, B" and "Burton, A", they left a shitload of references to other sci-fi names.

Obel

Thought it was a fantastic finale and a great, if truncated season. Also didn't have too much finality to it, definitely could continue comfortably if they got picked up by another network/streaming service. The Ty and That Guy podcast tweeted that the show was just going on a break for a bit and they're ready to continue it when the time is right, which bodes well. There's too much stuff I'm keen to see more of.

Poobum

That was an epic finale, one of the best episodes of TV I've ever seen. Amazing how they nailed it.
Spoiler alert
Would have liked a more Event Horizon like fate for Marco in the entities' realm though.
[close]

beanheadmcginty

Kept getting distracted in the round table scene by what appeared to be the bloke from Doom outside the window behind Drummer.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Poobum on January 14, 2022, 01:38:54 PM
Spoiler alert
Would have liked a more Event Horizon like fate for Marco in the entities' realm though.
[close]

Yeah, really enjoyed the finale overall but there was a pretty odd, abrupt feel to that particular climax.
Spoiler alert
They come up with an alternative plan then ten seconds later the plan is being put into action and it works, there you go.
[close]
Also the bits with Amos and Bobby and their redshirts trying to capture the guns had a weird '80s VR feel.

They were definitely sowing the seeds of something with the Laconia bits - no need to go into all that detail just for that one irrelevant scene where the general called Marco to tell him he wasn't going to help. And for the protomolecule (there's still some out there, isn't there?) and reawakened alien tech to be just sort of waved off at the end after being the show's big story for its first few series did seem a bit strange.

Might of course just have been them trying to convince the money men to let them do some more, rather than somethign that's already in motion, but it seems like there's some kind of "this is the end... honest" bluffing going on with the showrunners. Wes Chatham has apparently dropped hints that there's more to come but who knows. Maybe a spin-off sitcom with Amos and Clarissa settling on a ring planet to raise their kids.

But overall they really delivered some nervy and exciting space action shit and the whole final series was a fitting conclusion after a wobbly fourth and fifth series.

Sonny_Jim

Managed to convince myself to watch the last 3 episodes, glad I did as it was good fun overall.  Thoughts:

Spoiler alert
The whole 'Holden not blowing up Marcus when he  had the chance' thing was total bullshit and massively telegraphed in that there's no fucking way they were going to off the big-bad halfway through a series.  The character motivation for doing so was kinda 'eh'.  Would have rather not seen it or at least move it to later on in the series.

The whole 'dead kid' thing I found a little frustrating, it being a 20 minute story chopped up and stretched out over 6 episodes.  I wonder if they originally planned to show it in bigger chunks and less segmented.
[close]

Can we now have 'The Adventures of Amos' please?  Have Clarissa in it for the first episode, where she can be fatally injured and Amos decides to take it out on whoever is responsible.

Alberon

druss

Finally finished this. This season didn't really grab me, partially due to some of my favourite characters being dead.

Not sure what the point of not blowing up Inaros and son was seeing as they both just died a few episodes later anyway. Thought maybe the son might actually do something useful but no, moped around, did some shit speech and at the end sort of decided maybe his Dad was a cock, but he seemed to be ambivalent about that before the finale anyway.

Holden was better than Bran on the Iron Throne at least.

Great series overall.

druss

Quote from: druss on June 11, 2022, 02:23:57 PMFinally finished this. This season didn't really grab me, partially due to some of my favourite characters being dead.

Not sure what the point of not blowing up Inaros and son was seeing as they both just died a few episodes later anyway. Thought maybe the son might actually do something useful but no, moped around, did some shit speech and at the end sort of decided maybe his Dad was a cock, but he seemed to be ambivalent about that before the finale anyway.

Holden was better than Bran on the Iron Throne at least.

Great series overall.
Oh, wrote this whilst things were wrapping up. Son got away then. Makes sense story wise but I would have liked him to die.