Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:18:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Apprentice S16 - In this boardroom you don't get furloughed, you get fired...

Started by Malcy, December 12, 2021, 01:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 06, 2022, 11:34:57 PMThe advertising task is always a lowlight for me, and more so than any other task even competent people would fail it badly given the mad artificial constraints of things like market research and team discussions taking place, but only after everything is finished.

If I'd have been on the branding team I'd have called it Fait Accompli, then at least when the inevitable happens and the other team calls it all out as shit you can be like chill, lads, it's a fait accompli.

But still, a rancid banana shitting a leg. Three grown-up men taking, what, an hour to come up with that?

Old Thrashbarg

I do think it was strange that the one person on the sub-team saying that the logo was shit, when the shitness of the logo was the main reason for the failure of the team, was the one who was fired.

But then he did seem incredibly annoying and offered no better ideas from what was shown.

Blue Jam

All the men have the same haircut.

Am I the only person who actually knew what bouji meant? It's not that obscure, surely? To me "Bouji Cruises" sounded like the kind of holiday that would cost you a million pounds and you'd be surrounded by rahs but there'd be a good chance you'd end up married to a minor royal after boffing them in the sauna.

Maybe if you don't know what "bouji" means then you're not bouji and you're not in the target market, good way of keeping the riff raff out, like Jack Wills only locating stores in posh university towns (until Mike Ashley bought them, hahaha).

Then again, maybe even Boujis aint that bouji:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/nightclub-boujis-ordered-to-shut-its-doors-after-horrific-mass-brawl-in-street-a3102941.html

Gurke and Hare

Blue Jam

"collaborative" is going to be the word of the series isn't it? Not that any of the contestants will notice or take heed.

Ferris

touchingcloth

touchingcloth

There was something very sinister about Lordsiralan empty-charing Claude and then saying that he's "had a bit of an accident". I almost expected him to follow up with "and we wouldn't want you to have any little accidents, would we?".

gilbertharding

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on January 07, 2022, 12:02:11 AMYes, but I always thought it was a derogatory abbreviation for bourgeois.

That's exactly what it is. Isn't it?

Meanwhile, I simply don't believe Alan Sugar rides a bike without a compact chainset. It must be very flat where he lives.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 07, 2022, 10:57:42 AMThat's exactly what it is. Isn't it?

I guess, but that makes it a strange thing to be presenting as aspirational doesn't it?

oggyraiding

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on January 07, 2022, 11:53:10 AMI guess, but that makes it a strange thing to be presenting as aspirational doesn't it?
Maybe it's ironic/post-ironic? "We're having bottomless prosecco brunch at a mid-range chain restaurant, we're so bouji"  and they dress up real nice, be quite extra, that sort of thing. They know they're not really being bourgeois, just doing stuff the bourgeoisie would do. It is a word I have only heard under 21s use so using it for the 25-45 market is odd.

jobotic

What's the noise?

Oh it's just Nick Showering

What in the downstairs toilet?

Did anyone make a joke like that?

Where was he when the work was being done?

Oh he was busy with Nick Showering

Jasha

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 07, 2022, 10:57:42 AM

Worst photoshop ever.

Thought this had faded away but the beeb keep wringing the corpse, each series makes those in the previous one look mildy competent. Snooty poo logo lad should have got the bullet though

touchingcloth

Quote from: Jasha on January 07, 2022, 05:25:51 PMWorst photoshop ever.

Thought this had faded away but the beeb keep wringing the corpse, each series makes those in the previous one look mildy competent. Snooty poo logo lad should have got the bullet though

It was a very cynical firing, was my thought. "Obviously, Harry, you're the least shit of the three, but the other two make better telly and we base everything on your business plans anyway so the next ten weeks are functionally redundant. You're fired."

Have we ever had a week one "with regret" firing before? Maybe that was Shugs' way of acknowledging the telly-centric nature of the decision.

Ferris

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 07, 2022, 10:57:42 AMThat's exactly what it is. Isn't it?

Meanwhile, I simply don't believe Alan Sugar rides a bike without a compact chainset. It must be very flat where he lives.

Don't remember him riding for Garmin-Slipstream either.

oggyraiding

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 07, 2022, 05:57:45 PMIt was a very cynical firing, was my thought. "Obviously, Harry, you're the least shit of the three, but the other two make better telly and we base everything on your business plans anyway so the next ten weeks are functionally redundant. You're fired."

Have we ever had a week one "with regret" firing before? Maybe that was Shugs' way of acknowledging the telly-centric nature of the decision.
I was actually expecting him to save Harry, because of the three he seemed the one most likely to stir the pot and create good TV. Even after 1 task, it seemed the entire men's team had come to the conclusion that Harry was a nuisance, so keeping him in to rile the rest of the lads up would have been smart.

touchingcloth

Quote from: oggyraiding on January 07, 2022, 08:18:51 PMI was actually expecting him to save Harry, because of the three he seemed the one most likely to stir the pot and create good TV. Even after 1 task, it seemed the entire men's team had come to the conclusion that Harry was a nuisance, so keeping him in to rile the rest of the lads up would have been smart.

Could have been the edit. Nothing they showed of him actually looked all that non-constructive and annoying, from memory it was mainly him pointing out that the logo was shit and lying down on the floor during the green screen shoot - the fact that that bit of him lying down got shown about three separate times suggests maybe that's as noteworthy as he got during the filming.

Tony Tony Tony

Probably a bit early to make a prediction but reckon the stand out character so far is going to be Navid the Pharmacist. If only for his fashion sense (he seemed to be going direct from the board room to a day umpiring the cricket) and his unnaturally white teeth. From the girls that Amy looks to be already slated as a divisive troublemaker so should make some cracking telly. On top of that she's something of a fox. 

beanheadmcginty

Turns out that the contestant Kathryn was previously on Bear Grylls Island (looking totally different), so one hopes there's an opportunity one week for some sort of urine based drinks business.

touchingcloth

The men's team establishing a theme with their second outing of the acid-green-on-a-tod brand.

Alberon

touchingcloth

And why did the women speak to the kids focus group themselves, while the men seemed to have a proxy who wasn't properly filmed instead? Issues with someone's DBS check?

NOOOO, ALL NONCES

Gurke and Hare

"We didn't want it to look much like a turd."

What's the point of having a focus group after you've already designed the product?

beanheadmcginty

I would have made an evil character called "Lord Sugar" who causes tooth decay and needs to be destroyed at all costs.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on January 13, 2022, 09:38:30 PM"We didn't want it to look much like a turd."

What's the point of having a focus group after you've already designed the product?

Or stop the teams communicating by phone. Guaranteed to make them look like total spanners. TV gold.

touchingcloth

Gurke and Hare

This might be the worst task ever. How are you supposed to use an app - that he specified should be as interactive as possible - while you're brushing your teeth anyway?

touchingcloth

Has anyone ever seen anyone who works in any kind of business who dresses like the chumps on this show? Where do they even find their shiny suits and shit dresses?