Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:40:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars: The Ritings of Robert Fett

Started by madhair60, December 29, 2021, 10:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

I reckon that's the plan but they want to wait until enough babies have been christened Grogu - it's the new Danaerys of baby-names for the SFCers.

Povidone

I hope Grogu's egg eating is never brought up again in the show and he suffers no consequences, so that we are forced to live with the knowledge that the cute and highly marketable one of the good guys ate a bunch of babies, fucking loved it and will never apologise.

Alberon

The first episode was okay, but there isn't really enough there to know where the series is going and if it will be any good.

I hope it does have a direction (Star Sopranos?), as otherwise it'll just be The Mandalorian without the Mandalorian.

Dex Sawash

Never understood why people have a Boba Fettish. Did he have the best action figure accessories or 2 arms that were movable?

kalowski

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 31, 2021, 11:33:45 AMNever understood why people have a Boba Fettish. Did he have the best action figure accessories or 2 arms that were movable?
If you were 10 when you saw Empire, like I was, it was easy to be captivated by this ruthless bounty hunter in cool battered armour. Loved the lack of backstory other than "no disintegrations".

Magnum Valentino

He had a cool as fuck voice back then too. It's since been dubbed over. Some of the appeal must have been that he was better at catching Han Solo than that lizard cunt Bossk and those other bounty hunters who all looked like dangerous fuckers.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

He mouthed off to Darth Vader. Way cooler than that lanky streak of piss IG88.

kalowski

And the action figure was pretty cool, if I remember. It had a cape!

Key

Dengar looks like his head is encased in bog roll, other than that, pretty cool.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Custard on December 29, 2021, 12:56:21 PMHope there's a mini Jabba that we can buy next Christmas for 49.99!

Baby Jabba! Baby Jabba!

mjwilson

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 30, 2021, 05:30:00 PMWhen they announced The Mandalorian, I wondered why they didn't just make a Boba Fett show. Now they've done that and I'm wondering why they haven't made more Mandalorian.

They are making more Mandalorian.

ZoyzaSorris

Enjoyed this in the same way as mandalorian. Just really nice looking sci-fi worlds and action with minimal fannying or fuss and no glib quipping nonsense, and actually clearly a labour of love, in an old-fashioned adventure serial style (which means it has a lot more in common with the spirit of original star wars than the recent nonsense, bar Rogue One). And it's bound to get more going on story-wise.
The six armed sand beast was pretty Harryhausen-esque I thought ( which I liked).

mothman

Goldentony

like Boba Fett a lot but wasnt it just after Star Wars 3: Part 3 A Star Wars Story they were talking about no cunt wanting any more of this shit, speficially this film? Like after Solo A Hans Solo Story even the studio was going nah fuck this, and it turns out the plan was to just wait and do next to nothing ie redo the Mandalorian ala Marvel looking at Spiderverse and going "fuck us John, look, heres all the films for the next decade here"

mjwilson

Quote from: Goldentony on December 31, 2021, 08:30:29 PMlike Boba Fett a lot but wasnt it just after Star Wars 3: Part 3 A Star Wars Story they were talking about no cunt wanting any more of this shit, speficially this film? Like after Solo A Hans Solo Story even the studio was going nah fuck this, and it turns out the plan was to just wait and do next to nothing ie redo the Mandalorian ala Marvel looking at Spiderverse and going "fuck us John, look, heres all the films for the next decade here"

Think they just decided to get out of the film business for a bit.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Goldentony on December 31, 2021, 08:30:29 PMlike Boba Fett a lot but wasnt it just after Star Wars 3: Part 3 A Star Wars Story they were talking about no cunt wanting any more of this shit, speficially this film? Like after Solo A Hans Solo Story even the studio was going nah fuck this, and it turns out the plan was to just wait and do next to nothing ie redo the Mandalorian ala Marvel looking at Spiderverse and going "fuck us John, look, heres all the films for the next decade here"

The Star Wars Story series was actually based on ideas developed for an abandoned TV show, Star Wars: Underworld, developed around 2005-2010. It would have covered the years between Episodes III and IV. Something like 50 scripts were actually written, involving people such as Ronald D. Moore. Problem was that it was too expensive at the time to be produced by any TV network, including HBO (they used Deadwood as their reference). Rogue One was actually something pitched for an Underworld episode, while a few events in the early days of Han Solo would have also been covered at different times.

But the first announced Star Wars Story project was the one that wasn't made. All that was officially revealed was that it would be directed by Josh Trank, who had only made Chronicle at this point. Disney eventually fired him due to him being difficult and uncooperative during production of Fantastic Four. Anyway, it was heavily rumored that it was about Boba Fett.
James Mangold was attached to on another announced Star Wars Story, the one about Obi-Wan, until Solo flopped and they preferred to develop a miniseries instead.

Glebe

I enjoyed parts of it but there were some really clumsy bits. Particularly:

Spoiler alert
"Get me back to the bacta thing to have another dream flashback!"
[close]

Critics generally seem to be slating it (this review is especially scathing), it was definitely quite clunky and artless in places. Robert Rodriguez definitely needs to get his shit together. But yeah the better bits  pleased my inner geek, and Matt Berry voicing the Jabba Palace droid was a treat. Expecting more of the same but hoping for improvements.

mothman

People seem to forget that a lot of the reaction to Mando s1 was "WTF is this shit?" So the reaction seems a bit harsh given we've seen one episode.

I think they may have made some bad decisions off the bat. OK they'd intimated at a mysterious figure who saved Shand in "The Gunslinger" (ch. 5) but then confirmed that was Fett in "The Marshall" (ch. 9). But they also made the decision to separate Fett from his armour (because Cobb Vanth had it) and it's from there the problems stem. It's presumably to explain why Fett has been off the galactic stage for five years...

Sherman Krank

Quote from: madhair60 on December 29, 2021, 12:15:30 PMA story of a beloved man coming back to life from the dead is often considered "the greatest story ever told"
ET wasn't a man.

madhair60

JamesTC

Alberon

At the end of his hand, the fucking nonce.

buzby

Quote from: kalowski on December 31, 2021, 11:59:54 AM
Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 31, 2021, 11:33:45 AMNever understood why people have a Boba Fettish. Did he have the best action figure accessories or 2 arms that were movable?
If you were 10 when you saw Empire, like I was, it was easy to be captivated by this ruthless bounty hunter in cool battered armour. Loved the lack of backstory other than "no disintegrations".
After Fett appeared briefly in animated form in the infamous Holiday Special, the figure was released as a mail-in giveaway (4 proofs of purcase from the figure card backs) to generate publicity over a year before the release of ESB. Originally the rocket in his backpack was supposed to be fire-able, and all the publicity materials for the giveaway mentioned or showed this:

Unfortunately while the figures were being manufactured there was a high profile lawsuit in the US against Mattel after the death of a child who had swallowed a similar toy missile, so the feature had to be hurriedly deleted. Sticky Labels were sent out to shops and distributors to put on the card backs to remove mention of the feature and new publicity material had to be printed. The shipping of the figures that had already been made was also delayed as they had to have the missiles firmly glued in place. A handful of prototype figures that still have the firing missile feature do exist thanks to former Kenner employees and go for anywhere between $125k-$200k at auction.

The Boba Fett fanbase is almost entirely down to the shite from the EU novels and comics, as his lack of backstory was exploited to create the whole Mandalorian mythos and turn him into badass bounty hunter which is almost completely at odds to his appearance in the OT films, especially Jedi where his 'fighting' skills and death are nothing short of embarassing (though the EU Fett shippers managed to write their way out of that, and the writers of new series have come up with another slighly different version to allow it to happen).

The dull truth behind the visual side of the character is that it started out as a rejected Ralph McQuarrie concept design for Darth Vader. It was then revived in the early stages of ESB pre-production for a Super Stormtrooper (that later evolved into the Snowtroopers on Hoth) and a complete costume was sculpted and built by Joe Johnston. The Super Stormtrooper idea was rejected because the costume was too complex and expensive to manufacture in bulk numbers for battle scenes.

The costume was then repurposed when the bounty hunter character came back into the early script ideas for ESB in mid-1978 and was repainted to distinguish it from the Stormtroopers.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: buzby on January 04, 2022, 10:03:43 AMThe Boba Fett fanbase is almost entirely down to the shite from the EU novels and comics, as

GET FETTXIT DONE

I got to like Star Wars with the late 90s special editions. I thought Bobba Fett's defining characteristic was the fact that nobody knew anything about him. After years of milking Star Wars for all it's worth, with prequels and spin offs, he's now a boring Australian with the same voice as his dad and we saw him as a mystique-ruining child. I doubt there's anything left to ruin, but I'm sure this show will do its best.

kngen

I liked Boba Fett because he had a rocket thing on his back, and his helmet looked cool (as did his ship). Gutted when you got to see him use that rocket thing for about 4 seconds in ROTJ, and in such a slapstick fashion.

Anyway, I thought I was totally done with Star Wars after the most recent trilogy, but if The Boba Fett Supershow is merely fan service, consider me well and truly serviced, and now I can be pass out under a stinky duvet with a smile on my face.

(That SF clickbait hit piece is fucking woeful though - like a collection of snarky adolescent tweets slapped together in the vague form of an article.)

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 04, 2022, 01:11:17 PMI got to like Star Wars with the late 90s special editions. I thought Bobba Fett's defining characteristic was the fact that nobody knew anything about him. After years of milking Star Wars for all it's worth, with prequels and spin offs, he's now a boring Australian with the same voice as his dad and we saw him as a mystique-ruining child. I doubt there's anything left to ruin, but I'm sure this show will do its best.

New Zealand mate.

idunnosomename

Dont forget all the shit with his dad George put into episode 2

Hex Triplet

Not too sure about Bob Amphetamine looking like Phil Mitchell when he takes his helmet off. And then he needs to go home and have a bath every time someone has a go at him?
I liked the Captain Mandolins and baby Yoda adventures so probably bound to enjoy this. Centipede guy who came out the sand was really cute I thought. Also wondered if Mr Blobby is canonically a Tusken Raider, anybody know if that's been confirmed by either Lucas Arts or Edmonds?