Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:34:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars: The Ritings of Robert Fett

Started by madhair60, December 29, 2021, 10:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjwilson

Quote from: Hex Triplet on January 04, 2022, 09:47:51 PMNot too sure about Bob Amphetamine looking like Phil Mitchell when he takes his helmet off. And then he needs to go home and have a bath every time someone has a go at him?

I find that very relatable.

mothman

Quote from: Hex Triplet on January 04, 2022, 09:47:51 PMAlso wondered if Mr Blobby is canonically a Tusken Raider, anybody know if that's been confirmed by either Lucas Arts or Edmonds?
No, but I'm never not going to be thinking about that every time a Sandperson is onscreen now.

Sherman Krank

Just got around to watching the first episode, seems like the poor bloke had a pretty tough life before going on to find fame and fortune as the inventor of Bubble Tea.
I have to say though their depiction of 1980's Taiwan seems rather suspect if not downright racist.

Alberon

Episode two and it's still mostly the flashback dominating with a small bit of 'present day' stuff. It really needs to decide which story it's telling because having two is detrimental to each other.

It doesn't help that I'm bored to death with
Spoiler alert
Tusken Raiders
[close]
already.

Povidone

Quote from: Glebe on January 03, 2022, 06:29:57 PM(this review is especially scathing)

Read that the other day, not sure why because it's immature try-hard cack from a clickbait journalist. Yes this show is shite but 'worse than polio'? Really? Haven't we grown out of performative outrage in criticism yet? Can't believe that article is getting circulation.

Anyway, episode 2. Funny stick thing backtory continues. You know that he'll be back in the morning as promised because he hasn't got the black stick with the spiky bit that he has in the Mandalorian yet, he needs to get that off his sparring partner who will die in his arms at a later point, to give the stick some emotional heft.

Laughed like fuck when I saw the Tuskens(?) mucking about with a big rake, was fully expecting the pair with the small rake to turn round and say "We ain't found shit!"

Povidone

Ok, got to the end of the episode and

Spoiler alert
He actually gets the stick after going on a psychedelic lizard induced vision quest. Gets a brief woodworking lesson and does a dance. Sparring mate lives to see another day.
[close]

Consider my expectations subverted to fuck.

elliszeroed

Yeah, that review mentioned above was just embarassing.

This episode was a lot better than the first. I find the Tusken Raider flashbacks far more interesting than the modern/ present story.

Ming-Na has some great comedic bits also, just a look from her can make me laugh.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Povidone on January 05, 2022, 09:39:52 PMRead that the other day, not sure why because it's immature try-hard cack from a clickbait journalist. Yes this show is shite but 'worse than polio'? Really? Haven't we grown out of performative outrage in criticism yet? Can't believe that article is getting circulation.
It reads like something from 2002.

Hex Triplet

Enjoyed the second episode especially

Spoiler alert
The hammerhead mayor and those angry little woodlice people who were just spamming a drugs train up and down the desert. And that evil Wookiee, sick af. Tusk people a bit boring, but now he's got his special knobbly stick that the brain gecko guided him to old Bobbins can probably move on now.
[close]

Couldn't give a shit about the Star Wars films - the force, the empire, Luke's kids scrapping with Vader's kids, just give me chubby old bald Bobby Felt grumpily interacting with aliens once a week like Alf from Home and Away with a hangover.

Star Wars, you've done it again!

Lord Mandrake

Temuera Morrison's haka face give his fight scenes a kind of credibility you don't often see in this type of thing. Really enjoying his unorthodox take on the stoic, warrior monk trope. The flashback was of more interest than the present day stuff as a self contained mini western with Mad Max vibes.

Dex Sawash

Bet a naked tusken is sexy af

edit- not the young ones though

A marked improvement this week, I thought. The train heist and biker bar punch up were far more kinetic and exciting than anything in the first episode.

I assume he'll join forces with the Tuskens at some point, but does Bob's entire crew really just consist of him, her, the two hogs of war and the Berry-bot? Considering he couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag last week (in full view of the public, no less) how the heck does he expect to maintain a criminal empire? I know much of Jabba's entourage got blown up in Return of the Jedi, but Bib For-tuna must have had some muscle working for him while he was in charge.

Alberon

Yeah, and you've got this big old palace and so far all the action has taken place in two medium sized rooms. The non-flashback stuff doesn't convince and, for me, the Sandpeople stuff is getting a bit boring.

ZoyzaSorris

kalowski

It was excellent. I really enjoyed episode 2.
Loved to see Black Krrsantan with the Hutts too. The Marvel Star Wars comics were hit and miss but I did like Black Krrsantan (the wookie).

ZoyzaSorris

This and the mandolorian are only kind of Star Wars things they should have done since the originals. I think everything else should be deleted/pulped.

Hex Triplet

The black wookie's called Grrsatan? Excellent.

Dex Sawash

Was worried that Rob had probably

Spoiler alert
gone all wrinkly from staying in the bath too long
[close]

by the end.

Spoiler alert
and he was still in there when credits rolled
[close]

7.7/10

Dex Sawash

Love this big wookie's smirk and plan to buy action figures to chuck up my chute.

beanheadmcginty

It's funny how those Tusken chaps just make the noise of a braying donkey isn't it? Easy day at the office for the SFX design crew that was.

mothman

Really it's a shame this wasn't made 20-25 years ago, Temuera Morrison in his prime as Jango or Boba Fett would have been awesome. Granted Jango in AotC was a bit of a damp squib, I loved the idea of casting TM as Fett more than in practice.

Anyone seen What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted? It's the sequel to Once Were Warriors, not as good but grants Jake the Muss some degree of redemption. I wasn't aware there was a sequel but I think we happened to be in New Zealand the first time it was shown on TV there (with OWW shown the night before; I'd seen that obviously, but my wife hasn't and found it very affecting) which was having quite a big thing made about it.

They should do a third one called No Muss, No Fuss.

kngen

I like the reframing of the Tusken Raiders as native tribes having to deal with colonialist cunts. Also, that is Jake the Muss - I idly thought it might be, but dismissed it as some fanciful notion.

So, if I like this, I'll like The Mandalorian then?

Ant Farm Keyboard

The Mandalorian has more of a spaghetti western vibe.

Mobbd

Quote from: kngen on January 09, 2022, 02:32:12 PMSo, if I like this, I'll like The Mandalorian then?

Definitely. The Mandalorian, a few eggy moments aside, is better than Bobba. I mean, it's possibly the best Star Wars thing ever made, which sounds ridiculous until you remember that there isn't a lot of competition other than the original trilogy.

Bobba looks nice and treats the subject matter with respect but it's also fairly by-the-numbers. If this had come out ten years ago or even five, it would have rocked our worlds. But the surprise excellence of The Mandalorian and some of the techniques used in it (and are now being used again) kinda blunts the impact of this one.

It's strange. I'd imagined/assumed that The Mandalorian originally came about as part of a design process that began with Bobba Fett. It was a just smarter thing to do than the obvious Bobba Fett story. But then they did Bobba Fett anyway, and almost immediately at that.

It's fine. Good even! But it's hard to be properly impressed after Mando did it all.

idunnosomename

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 08, 2022, 06:13:22 PMIt's funny how those Tusken chaps just make the noise of a braying donkey isn't it? Easy day at the office for the SFX design crew that was.
have you ever tried getting a donkey to stand the correct distance from a mic in a recording studio?

Mobbd

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 08, 2022, 12:09:12 PMRob

Let us continue with this. Mandy and Rob. Just nice people with a semi-detached house.

kngen

Quote from: Mobbd on January 09, 2022, 03:23:28 PMDefinitely. The Mandalorian, a few eggy moments aside, is better than Bobba. I mean, it's possibly the best Star Wars thing ever made, which sounds ridiculous until you remember that there isn't a lot of competition other than the original trilogy.

Bobba looks nice and treats the subject matter with respect but it's also fairly by-the-numbers. If this had come out ten years ago or even five, it would have rocked our worlds. But the surprise excellence of The Mandalorian and some of the techniques used in it (and are now being used again) kinda blunts the impact of this one.

It's strange. I'd imagined/assumed that The Mandalorian originally came about as part of a design process that began with Bobba Fett. It was a just smarter thing to do than the obvious Bobba Fett story. But then they did Bobba Fett anyway, and almost immediately at that.

It's fine. Good even! But it's hard to be properly impressed after Mando did it all.

Ta!

kalowski

I'm not going to confirm that The Mandalorian is better than The Book of Boba Fett because we are only 2 episodes into the latter, and it's showing plenty of potential.

mothman

Yeah, Favreau ha a good track record and seems to know what he's doing, and being able to massively expand the "canon" (for want of a better word) knowledge about the Tuskens (a rather one-note uninteresting race in the past) in a way that is intriguing and uncontrived, suggests we have further good things in store.