Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:35:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cobra Kai is brilliant

Started by madhair60, January 07, 2022, 02:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

It is. I don't know why nobody talks about it. I've binged the first two series and it's just ace, this perfectly cheesy but extremely compelling continuation of the truly daft Karate Kid films.

Two more series to go and the fifth has already wrapped. Can't believe how good this stupid shit is. Alright cheers

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I've never bothered to watch it. I always thought that once you'd got over the initial novelty and joy of seeing the original cast (but older 😱) they'd have nowhere else to go with the concept. How on earth have they managed to squeeze five series out of it?

Mr_Simnock

Watched the first couple episodes, ok but not brill. The 'bad guy' who appears down and out a bit now is still trapped in the 1980's with some of his ideology in the scenes where he is trying to teach that kid a bit of self defence, that put me off a lot.

The Guppy

It's great. A crazy town where violence solves everything, and no one really gets hurt (except that kid who really got hurt). I like the bad kids like Hair Boy and Stabby Girl.

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on January 07, 2022, 02:37:00 PMI've never bothered to watch it. I always thought that once you'd got over the initial novelty and joy of seeing the original cast (but older 😱) they'd have nowhere else to go with the concept. How on earth have they managed to squeeze five series out of it?
Just keep adding characters and swapping around which side everyone's on, and getting them to fight in different places like on a desk and in the sea. If you don't like people scrapping over incredibly petty shit you won't like it.

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on January 07, 2022, 02:39:48 PMWatched the first couple episodes, ok but not brill. The 'bad guy' who appears down and out a bit now is still trapped in the 1980's with some of his ideology in the scenes where he is trying to teach that kid a bit of self defence, that put me off a lot.
A big part of it is that guy trying to become less of an arsehole. And he does, but never completely. His heart's in the right place, he's just a cunt.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: The Guppy on January 07, 2022, 02:42:22 PMIt's great. A crazy town where violence solves everything, and no one really gets hurt (except that kid who really got hurt). I like the bad kids like Hair Boy and Stabby Girl.
Just keep adding characters and swapping around which side everyone's on, and getting them to fight in different places like on a desk and in the sea. If you don't like people scrapping over incredibly petty shit you won't like it.
A big part of it is that guy trying to become less of an arsehole. And he does, but never completely. His heart's in the right place, he's just a cunt.

I can't be bothered to invest any time in someone like that though

paruses

I like how Daniel Russo is actually an entitled prick rather than an underdog.

I enjoyed S1 and 2. Should get back into it. The original sensei had just come back into it last time I watched. He is a muscly man. I thought that they had brought David Caradine back from the dead when I saw the latest trailer on Netflix.

Ja'moke

I really liked the first season but I was getting bored of it all by the end of the second season and have stop-started Season 3 a couple of times now.

The Guppy

I watched season 3 and enjoyed it, but apparently I have to watch Karate Kid 3 before I watch season 4, and I can't be arsed yet.

Mister Six

Quote from: The Guppy on January 07, 2022, 02:42:22 PMIt's great. A crazy town where violence solves everything, and no one really gets hurt (except that kid who really got hurt). I like the bad kids like Hair Boy and Stabby Girl.

As a fan of the Yakuza games, this sounds ideal.

bgmnts

Watched a few episodes and it was okay. Probably released a few years too late as surely we're all done on 80s nostalgia wank now.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: bgmnts on January 07, 2022, 06:18:55 PMWatched a few episodes and it was okay. Probably released a few years too late as surely we're all done on 80s nostalgia wank now.

That isn't what it is though, and why it's lasted 5 seasons.

ZoyzaSorris

Genuinely one of the best tv shows in history. Not started new series yet though.

ZoyzaSorris

How something can be simultaneously absolutely stupid and legitimate complete genius, and incredibly cheesy but totally heartfelt and sincere all at the same time I don't know. But they pulled it off. Last scene of season 3 actually made me rush like I was coming up off three 1994 turbodoves.

TrenterPercenter

It's great.  Agree with Zoyza on this it is ridiculous and brilliant at the same time - it could easily be shit but with some great casting, directing and decision making they pull off a tightrope of schlock versus not taking itself too seriously.  Massively fun.

king_tubby

It's great. It's stupid, cheesy and they're all having so much fun with it.

rjd2

Quote from: king_tubby on January 07, 2022, 09:02:02 PMIt's great. It's stupid, cheesy and they're all having so much fun with it.

I adore the feud between Tory and Sam especially as the girl who plays Tory is so over the top and in a very good way.

I watched the last season it was fun, but I am beginning to see cracks, the 80s references are more forced especially as I don't believe the characters who are all teens would be aware of them in real life and I fear from the writers comments they have no intention in wrapping up anytime soon so it may wear out its welcome.

king_tubby

I dunno, bringing the mad bastard from KK3 in (which I don't think I've even seen) has injected a bit more life in to it.

rjd2

Quote from: king_tubby on January 07, 2022, 09:09:49 PMI dunno, bringing the mad bastard from KK3 in (which I don't think I've even seen) has injected a bit more life in to it.

Fair enough he has been absolutely great.

I'd be happy for at most 2 more series , but after that no thanks.

I don't think they can bring many more people back, Swank even though she is no longer box office is probably to big for the show so just leaves Barnes from KK3 .

One other thing, I like how the show is somewhat neutral in the culture wars these days, Johnny is politically incorrect but never maliciously so .

" I even learned feminism today". 

king_tubby

Yeah, I enjoyed 'I am awake!'

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: rjd2 on January 07, 2022, 09:19:38 PMFair enough he has been absolutely great.

I'd be happy for at most 2 more series , but after that no thanks.

I don't think they can bring many more people back, Swank even though she is no longer box office is probably to big for the show so just leaves Barnes from KK3 .

One other thing, I like how the show is somewhat neutral in the culture wars these days, Johnny is politically incorrect but never maliciously so .

" I even learned feminism today". 

I would have thought the same about
Spoiler alert
Elizabeth Shue
[close]
but then they made an appearance in the show, so who knows?

Mister Six

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on January 07, 2022, 07:34:47 PMHow something can be simultaneously absolutely stupid and legitimate complete genius, and incredibly cheesy but totally heartfelt and sincere all at the same time I don't know.

Yeah, this does sound like Yakuza.

Pink Gregory

None of the nostalgic sentimentality in this show is unearned.  I appreciate that.

Pink Gregory

So the action's generally really good but fuck me
Spoiler alert
Robby
[close]
getting shoved into the edge of a rack of lockers head first was a bit much.  Effective though.

madhair60

Which series is that a spoiler for? I want to click it.

I'm halfway through series 3. I adore it.

Uncle TechTip

I spent a couple of weeks thinking this was called Cobrook High and then when I caught a glimpse as my son watched, I saw two kids fighting in a locker room and I thought, oh it's Cobrook High, it looks like Grange Hill with karate. I understand now I was wrong.

Mr Farenheit

It's ace. I don't like 80s nostalgia for its own sake (I've never been so angry at a book as when I read Ready Player One) but here I think it works because it's done through the eyes of the two middle-aged main characters' still reliving something that happened in their teens.

Johnny is like a Jon Wurster character of a former high school bully living off past glories, especially in how naive he is sometimes, and I love how Daniel is such a smug jerk. The whole thing is ridiculous, probably as much as the movies were. I haven't been tempted to rewatch them as I'm sure they won't be as good as Corba Kai (saying that I might watch KK3 to see the 'new' guy from season 4, I think his character's admission that his youner self was on coke the whole time might add another dimension).

BeardFaceMan

I like how every kid has changed dojo about half a dozen times, it's ridiculous in the best kind of way.

BeardFaceMan

Just finished the 4th season and I enjoyed it very much and am looking forward to the 5th season. Beat that.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: madhair60 on January 10, 2022, 11:52:13 AMWhich series is that a spoiler for? I want to click it.

I'm halfway through series 3. I adore it.

Series 3, so you'll find out soon enough

I'm really hoping for an oblique reference to the Karate Kid reboot with Jaden Smith, but maybe that'd be too much.