Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:13:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Olyphant in the Room: Is This Sequel Justified?

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, January 14, 2022, 09:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

It does make me laugh how five seasons in the show is still saying in the opening credits each week that it's based on just one short story. That's one heck of a lot of extrapolation!

phes

Quote from: Bently Sheds on January 16, 2022, 11:14:12 PMJust watching The Tourist on iPlayer and FUCKING HELL DEWEY CROWE IS AUSTRALIAN!!!!

Recommend 100 Bloody Acres to anyone who fancies delving into Herriman's other stuff

letsgobrian

Quote from: Mister Six on January 17, 2022, 12:57:02 AMWhich reminds me - is Judge Reardon (the judge who always gives the maximum sentence to convicts) a numbers-filed-off version of Judge Bob Gibbs from Leonard's Maximum Bob, in the same way that Karen is Karen Sisco?

And if so, were there any other echoes of Leonard's other books in the show? I've read a bunch of them, but he was incredibly prolific.

Yes, Reardon is a store brand Maximum Bob. Arnold Pinter is Harry Arno from the original Raylan novels Pronto & Riding the Rap.

Also from Riding the Rap, Curtis Mims & Travis Travers are versions of the kidnappers Chip Ganz & Bobby Deo, respectively (though the alliterative name for Travers comes from the missing character Louis Lewis).

And of course, the extended Crowe family appear across many novels, but I don't think any overlap with the Crowes in the TV series. Though Daryl Crowe Jr. in Justified apparently exists specifically because they can't use Dale Crowe Jr. (from Maximum Bob & Riding The Rap).

mothman

Old Nehamkin

They should get Michael Keaton back to play Ray Nicolette again. Go for the hat trick.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's a shame Dennis Farina never appeared as Ray Barbone, from Miami.

Mister Six

Quote from: letsgobrian on January 17, 2022, 10:10:21 PMYes, Reardon is a store brand Maximum Bob. Arnold Pinter is Harry Arno from the original Raylan novels Pronto & Riding the Rap.

Also from Riding the Rap, Curtis Mims & Travis Travers are versions of the kidnappers Chip Ganz & Bobby Deo, respectively (though the alliterative name for Travers comes from the missing character Louis Lewis).

And of course, the extended Crowe family appear across many novels, but I don't think any overlap with the Crowes in the TV series. Though Daryl Crowe Jr. in Justified apparently exists specifically because they can't use Dale Crowe Jr. (from Maximum Bob & Riding The Rap).

Coo! Good stuff, cheers. They have the last Raylan Givens novel, the one written after Justified became a hit, in a second-hand bookstore near here. Worth picking up? I'm still feeling burned from Be Cool.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Mister Six on January 17, 2022, 11:53:21 PMCoo! Good stuff, cheers. They have the last Raylan Givens novel, the one written after Justified became a hit, in a second-hand bookstore near here. Worth picking up? I'm still feeling burned from Be Cool.

Be Cool is one of only two he's written that are actively not good, Djibouti being the other one. Raylan is okay as I recall. Road Dogs is his last really solid book.

Mister Six

mothman

I've been looking at his bibliography and it feels like I've read fewer of his books than I would (conservatively) gave guessed. In fact I can only think of four - Stick, Freaky Deaky, Get Shorty and Be Cool. It doesn't help that so many of them have been filmed! So while I think I've read Rum Punch and 52 Pick-Up, I can't be certain; even less so with, say, Cat Chaser.

mothman

I finished season 5! Thank god for that. It did go on a bit, one thing after another. In particular, Ava's whole prison storyline. Fucking hell. They made her into Kim Bauer, so much so I was expecting a mountain lion to pounce on her when she got out...

aunt mildred

Quote from: Bernice on January 15, 2022, 08:29:31 PMI love Justified. It's not the best TV out there, but it's among my favourites. It's a shame to miss out on that great supporting cast, but better that than contriving some way for them to feature. I reckon this will be good.

Agree, loved it when it aired but also

Quote from: chveik on January 15, 2022, 09:06:46 PMamazing show but can't really see the point without the boy goggins

I'm worried it might be shit without Goggins.

Old Nehamkin

As much as I love Goggins, I really don't want to see any kind of add-on to that beautiful final scene between Raylan and Boyd in the original finale, and I don't really want to see any of the other characters tied to Kentucky/Harlan County either - that story has been told already.  A self-contained Raylan adventure with a new setting and supporting cast sounds alright to me, though. 

Jim_MacLaine

I've always found the surrounding cast of characters pretty strong in each season so I'm not that worried about whether a whole new crew will be as engaging.

selectivememory

Just seen a trailer dropped for this a few days ago. Starts next month:

Ignatius_S

Quote from: phantom_power on June 06, 2023, 06:12:57 PMTerrible sub-title. Looks good though

It's taken from the name of the novel it's based on.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: selectivememory on June 06, 2023, 04:33:03 PMJust seen a trailer dropped for this a few days ago. Starts next month

There was also a fun little teaser trailer.

Although I thought it was a heck of coincidence that Vivian Olyphant, who plays Raylan's daughter, had the same distinctive second name as the star, turns out that she's his real-life daughter!

One of the crew (I think one of the producers) teased that Raylan might not survive the series. On the other hand,
Spoiler alert
Olyphant has said he's up for playing Raylan again.
[close]

Mister Six

Little bit disappointed he's got his old hat back, even if it's obviously better than the one he ended the last series with.

I'm up for watching Raylan Gives sassin' and shootin' folks for as long as Olyphant and Yost are willing to give him to me.

phantom_power

Annoyingly this has started in the US but isn't out in the UK until September. The first two episodes are "out" though and it is a great return to form. Givens is still Givens but a bit more world-weary. The side characters are all interestingly drawn and the antagonist is a suitable match for our Raylen.

I hadn't realised how much I had missed this world until now

Funcrusher

Just watched episodes one and two. As enjoyable as ever, Olyphant as watchable as always. My favourite show is back in fine style.

Old Nehamkin

Old Nehamkin

Olyphant's real-life daughter being in this is a bit cheeky on his part but whatever, I'll allow it. I'm not quite sure how the character is meant to be 15 years old given the original series started in 2010 and she wasn't born until season 4, but, see above.

Boyd Holbrook is already a very solid Justified baddie. Also I got excited the couple of times they dropped a little reference to Harlan county/Kentucky because I'm a mark.

selectivememory

Ooh, encouraging to see people think it's good. Will have to see for myself in the next couple of days.

Old Nehamkin

I had a couple of doubtful moments in the first 10-15 minutes thinking "ooh, I don't know. Have they quite got this right?" Then something clicked and I was more or less engrossed from there. Just good telly.

I guess it helps that they've got a really solid Elmore Leonard novel to work from. Supporting cast is generally very strong indeed too. Special mention to the delightful Adelaide Clemens who I was already in love with from the great brilliant amazing show Rectify.

paddy72

First two episodes in – great to have it back.

It's always walked a resolute line between a bit ridiculous and coolly compelling, glad that's been retained.

Main baddie seems good – not Goggins, inevitably – but solid.

paddy72

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on July 21, 2023, 09:17:10 PMSpecial mention to the delightful Adelaide Clemens who I was already in love with from the great brilliant amazing show Rectify.

Yes and yes.

Funcrusher

Episode three of this is now available, watched it today. Still really really enjoying it.

Spoiler alert
Having his daughter staying with the nice cop made her an obvious target for Mansell, but they seem to have scotched that, unless it's a fake out, or maybe Mansell will follow Raylan back home or something. We'll see. Plotting like Elmore Leonard should mean trying to avoid obvious turns in the plot
[close]

phantom_power

I am getting quite annoyed with the daughter. I know it is meant to pile on the pressure for Givens and she is young and so selfish but she must see that he has her best interests at heart when he wants her to go home. There is a known killer who knows what she looks like and a grudge against her dad