Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:38:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Quantum Leap

Started by Shaky, January 15, 2022, 09:08:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: JamesTC on January 18, 2022, 04:17:44 PMThe book Beyond the Mirror Image says that Bellisario took a poll at Leapcon 93 on the new theme and vowed to return from the finale onwards (which he had just finished writing). So if they had been renewed, it would have reverted back to the old theme permanently.

Interesting.

I have this Quantum Leap book.

It was later revised as 'The Complete Quantum Leap Book', but I like the fact that mine doesn't know where the show ended.

Das Reboot

Quote from: thr0b on January 18, 2022, 01:49:46 PMBest version is the French one. Of it.

A-Team via Muskehounds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnlQWAJ_YJ0

Crikey. I really hope the lyrics translate as:

The A-Team
The A-Team
The AAAAA-Team
The A-Team

olliebean

Quote from: Das Reboot on January 18, 2022, 05:49:31 PMCrikey. I really hope the lyrics translate as:

The A-Team
The A-Team
The AAAAA-Team
The A-Team

It's not the A-Team in French. It's the All Risks Agency. And B.A. Baracas is apparently called Barracuda.

Shit Good Nose

I wonder if Gushy's halitosis will have been cured in the new one.

Shaky

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 18, 2022, 10:58:14 PMI wonder if Gushy's halitosis will have been cured in the new one.

The actors long dead, so probably.

JamesTC

Rewatched my favourite episode, Private Dancer. Always finishes me off, that one.

Looked up the guest star of the week and am surprised to see it was her first acting role, and also sadly her only one of note. A bit part in a TV movie, a guest role in a forgotten TV show and a starring role in an embarrassing looking film is all that followed. I guess it was hard finding a role as a deaf woman in the 90s, but I can't help but feel it makes the upbeat end a bit bittersweet.

Replies From View

This is why they should only cast people of hearing as deaf people in any television show or film.  Their prospects of future employment are substantially brighter, so it is altogether less miserable when you want to see what else they did.

JamesTC

Private Dancer makes the point that her deafness shouldn't get in the way of her talent. I don't think it is an unfair point to say that her deafness may have unfairly impacted her career (which should have been bright based on Quantum Leap).

One would hope, much like in Quantum Leap, the fact that a person is deaf wouldn't mean they are excluded from a part. Why couldn't a part be changed to be deaf to fit around the casting, rather than a deaf actor be limited to specifically deaf roles?

Replies From View

Quote from: JamesTC on January 24, 2022, 11:08:39 PMOne would hope, much like in Quantum Leap, the fact that a person is deaf wouldn't mean they are excluded from a part. Why couldn't a part be changed to be deaf to fit around the casting, rather than a deaf actor be limited to specifically deaf roles?

Such a move could also inspire more people to become deaf, so win-win.

Shaky

Hello, fuckers. Character descriptions have appeared for the new pilot, due to film in March. No Scotty Bakula, although I guess Sam can't really be located in the first episode.

QuoteQUANTUM LEAP – SERIES REGULARS
The following characters are described as series regulars and key players in the new Quantum Leap series.

Dr. Ben Prassad – Ben is a first-generation American, a world-renowned physicist, and a man of faith. He's also working on Quantum Leap, a time travel project. But when he uses the project on himself, he's transported back to the late 80s and struck with a bout of amnesia – forgetting what made him time travel in the first place.

The casting for Ben calls for a man in his mid 30s to early 40s, of AAPI or MENA descent.

Addison – Addison is a smart, witty, fearless ex-military operative who now serves as a project lead at Quantum Leap HQ. She's in charge of the technology they use to communicate with the past, and tries to rescue Ben from his time-flung existence.

The open-ethnicity casting for Addison calls for a woman in her 30s.

Ian Wright – Quantum Leap's nonbinary chief architect of the AI program, who prefers the company of computers to that of other people.

The open-ethnicity casting calls for a person in their 20s, and encourages non-binary actors to submit.

Herbert "Magic" Williams – A Vietnam vet and current head of the time travel project at Quantum Leap. Herbert "Magic" Williams uses his no-nonsense personality and aura of control to keep the Pentagon at bay while the team tries to rescue Ben.

The casting calls for a black man in his 60s.

Jenn – Head of security at Quantum Leap HQ. Described as quirky but formidable, she makes it her mission to figure out how Ben could have both leapt back in time and erased all evidence of the leap in the future.

ADDITIONAL GUEST STARS
In addition to the series regular roles, the show is also casting the following key guest stars:

Janis – A mysterious woman who was working with Ben in the present before his leap through time, whose true motives remain unknown. The role is described as a recurring guest spot, casting a white woman in her 40s.

Naomi – A wife attempting to ask her husband for a divorce. Unfortunately, she doesn't realize Ben currently occupies her husband's body. The open-ethnicity casting calls for a woman in her late 30s.

Shaky

First it was Sam(uel) Beckett, now it's... Ian Wright. Would be great if it's actually him playing the role, constantly yelling out bits of footballing ephemera.

Replies From View

QuoteNaomi – A wife attempting to ask her husband for a divorce.

A series regular?  Ok

mothman

See? Called it. Whole ecosystem of secondary characters "back at base" all with their own subplots and little ongoing mysteries and arcs and mysterious conspiracies and... ugh.

It's gonna be CSI: Quantum Leap isn't it.

olliebean

Plenty to upset the anti-woke mob there :)

Famous Mortimer

QuoteNaomi – A wife attempting to ask her husband for a divorce.

I hope it's just that she can't pronounce the word, and every time she's on screen we just see her husband say stuff like "you want a big horse?"

Rev+

Quote from: Replies From View on February 05, 2022, 09:18:07 AMA series regular?  Ok

Naomi is the only one on there not described as a regular, so that'll just be the main guest star in the pilot.  A woman trying to ask her husband for a divorce, though?  Rip-roaring stuff to kick off a series.

Nice job on including a non-binary character whose only stated trait is 'a bit of a fucking weirdo'.

Replies From View

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 05, 2022, 12:59:55 PMI hope it's just that she can't pronounce the word, and every time she's on screen we just see her husband say stuff like "you want a big horse?"

I was hoping for loud noises constantly drowning her out at the crucial point in her sentence (they live next to a farm, a children's playground, a railway line and an airport), and endless distractions pulling him away.

Shaky

So... the first episode is now "available" after premiering yesterday. Hmmm. It's not terrible but it is very bland, rushed and full of pacing and structural issues that may or may not be ironed out over the season. Whoever said it would be NCIS Quantum Leap is not a million miles away at all. Cast are all OK but couldn't help thinking
Spoiler alert
the non-binary character would've made a better Al replacement
[close]
. There are a few mentions of Sam and Al, and good old Ziggy is present. Bit weird how the original show's vision of the late 90's has given way to a 2022 that looks exactly like ours. Reasonable background viewing but I am mildy intrigued to see what the central mystery is, even if it's unlikely to involve Bakula in any way (he passed on the show for fairly unclear reasons).

The most unforgivable thing of all, though

Spoiler alert
THEY'VE CHANGED THE FUCKING THEME MUSIC
[close]

Some of you are going to absolutely detest it, I reckon!

Replies From View

Blimey, first Return of Monkey Island is upon us, and now there is actual new Quantum Leap!  I honestly thought I had no idea this was happening, yet there I am, posting earlier in this thread!

Replies From View

Where can I go to see this, then?

Inspector Norse

Replies From View

You all have a subscription to the service that hosts this, I take it?

Replies From View

Never mind; I have found it on a putlockers thing.

Replies From View

Do you reckon there's any danger of colour television being invented at some point in the future?

Replies From View

I know it's just nostalgia for the original, but Al having a door to the imaging chamber that he'd open using the Ziggy hand link and then step through was amazing, and they should have kept it for this.

The effects on the new hologram when something passes through her: unneeded.  It was funny in the original series when there was chaos and something passed through Al without him noticing or his hologram form being disrupted.  It just highlighted his separateness - the fact he wasn't really there and there were aspects of his surroundings that were irrelevant to him.  In the new Quantum Leap, the hologram zipping out just before the explosion at the end - it would have been much better if she'd stayed there, the explosion engulfed her and she didn't flinch or anything.

This stuff isn't petty - it's part of the world of the show.  I was also distracted by how absent the time period was from the episode.  I'm not wanting Stranger Things pleasantville nostalgia but so much of this felt like the present day that it was distracting.

Also:  in the original show, Beckett very very rarely pulled out the "I know the future" card.  It was critical for him to come across as the person he'd leapt into, but here it wasn't a concern for him.  There were no stakes (even unspoken ones) for him to hold that reality together.  He just steamrolled in with never mind I'll communicate what I shouldn't naturally know, because who wouldn't do that if they knew the future. 

Well no, because you'll alienate this character from their friends and family.  In this episode it didn't matter, because he turned out to have no friends or family around him, but he wasn't to know that.  It's not something they can keep doing every week, anyway, so we'll see how sparingly they use it.

Replies From View

On the plus side:  they clearly understand that 2022 isn't a novelty place (like 1999 kind-of was in the original series), and they are trying to make sure we are invested in the journey of this time traveller whose name I've forgotten, and the hope for them to return home.

I'm not sure they're doing it very well, though.  Some of the acting is pretty rubbish around the emotions of it, too.

Replies From View

I know the show wants to find its own identity and not be bound by what the original series created, but so far there is just a void, no identity rather than a contrasting one.

Instead of this iconic theme tune, how about... this no theme tune whatsoever!

Instead of Al dressing in incongruous clothing and carrying around a futuristic handlink, how about... this complete absence!

And I have no memories of any visual details in this production, beyond a couple of street scenes where they used 1980s cars.  It was all murky and nothingy, bog-standard colour grading like you get in the Jurassic World films.  I wasn't entirely joking earlier when I asked if there was any danger of colour television being invented any time soon.  I can't wrap my head around some of the design choices being actively made these days.