Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:19:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP Neighbours

Started by Blue Jam, March 03, 2022, 12:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 03, 2022, 01:11:32 PMI'd kind-of managed to forget it existed for the most part until I started watching Mr InBetween.

Took me ages to realise that was Ann (who I was rather a fan of).

monkfromhavana

I loved Neighbours as a kid, it was just the thing to watch after Grange Hill finished. I thought that Kimberley Davies was the most beautiful woman in the world.

Top moments:
Bouncer dream sequence
Jim & Doug accidentally tripping their nuts off on mushrooms
The plot to kill Helen Daniels
Endless Lassiter's power struggles
Never, ever, ever seeing Anson's Corner

imitationleather

Karl Kennedy's band used to tour over here quite a lot. Apparently he was a right silver fox, if you're into that kind of thing. I'm not, honest.

I remember an ex of mine telling me she visited Ramsay Street and Harold Bishop kissed her on the cheek.

Like everyone else, I watched this shit loads and then dropped it stone cold once it moved to Channel 5. Seems honestly mad that I invested so many hours into a fucking soap opera of all things. C'est la vie.

monkfromhavana

Does anyone remember the Blakeney sisters attempt to join in with getting hits into the charts? They got nowhere and the only place I saw their single air was them doing it "live" on Blue Peter.

Blue Jam

'member The Rules Of The Soapiverse? They probably need updating:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=19667.0

Are British soaps any more realistic now? Do they still show teenagers getting pregnant and overdosing or do they now have them drinking bubble tea before heading to the board game cafe?

I remember a Neighbours plot where one teenage character was stressing about her exams and developed an addiction to caffeine tablets. Or maybe it was Home and Away. In any case that seemed hilariously tame.

Sebastian Cobb

I actually watched a bit when it was on CH5 as I was working in a bookies at the time and there was a telly with analogue channels and fuck all to do (also ended up getting drawn in to Eastenders) like most soaps it's amazing how you can put them down for years and pick up where you left off without really feeling you'd missed anything at all.

jobotic

"I'm not insane, Phillip!"

Fond memories of this gaslighting story.

I also still say "liquid beauty" when I'm pleased by something. Not every time but more than I should.

jobotic

Quote from: monkfromhavana on March 03, 2022, 03:24:18 PMDoes anyone remember the Blakeney sisters attempt to join in with getting hits into the charts? They got nowhere and the only place I saw their single air was them doing it "live" on Blue Peter.

I bet that didn't make them feel good.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 03, 2022, 03:24:28 PM'member The Rules Of The Soapiverse? They probably need updating:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=19667.0

Are British soaps any more realistic now? Do they still show teenagers getting pregnant and overdosing or do they now have them drinking bubble tea before heading to the board game cafe?

I quite liked Hollyoaks for this as you had the predictable teenage struggles like the above but also about 3 serial killer plot-lines, in Chester. I think unlike Neighbours, Corrie etc they know people only watch for a few years so they roll the plots round more frequently.

purlieu

Started watching it when I was maybe eight or nine, carried on right up to the start of university. Still remember the moment when some awful in-law of Karl Kennedy's was stopping at the Kennedy house with her two lapdogs, Karl came home feeling ill, rushed in desperate to fill the shitter with diarrhoea and instead got forced into searching the street for the two dogs. Cut to him walking up and down Ramsey Street shouting, and eventually falling to his knees screaming "Blanche! Stellaaaaa!" as the camera zooms upwards from his face.

I wonder how they'll end it. Will Ramsey Street be knocked down by the council who are planning to build a nuclear waste facility?

Alberon

Obliterated by a meteorite. Or go the whole hog and blow up the planet.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Masked maniac runs around stabbing everyone with a big knife. Final shot is of him, surrounded by the dead and dying, taking off the mask, and it's Alf from Home and Away. He smiles enigmatically to camera as the scene fades to black.

Gurke and Hare

Can't be as good as the last episode of Brookside where they lynched a character that was a cypher for the controller of Channel 4.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 03, 2022, 03:28:16 PMI quite liked Hollyoaks for this as you had the predictable teenage struggles like the above but also about 3 serial killer plot-lines, in Chester. I think unlike Neighbours, Corrie etc they know people only watch for a few years so they roll the plots round more frequently.

'member Brookside when Jacqui Dixon was running Bar Brookie and got into debt thanks to the protection racket and had to accept money to be a surrogate mother for Max and Susannah and went to Chester to hide out for the last trimester? And this happened?

I also 'member an interview with Space (hi @Kankurette!) in Melody Maker where one of them mentioned being Jacqui Dicko's actor's cousin and added "You can shag yer cousin apparently", the dirty get.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I remember some kid at school claiming to have seen a script for the grand finale, in which all of the neighbours went on a coach holiday together and died in a crash. This was pre-internet, so lord knows where he was supposed to have seen this shocking material (probably the same place his dad had got the secret new Nintendo that nobody was allowed to see).

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 03, 2022, 03:24:28 PMI remember a Neighbours plot where one teenage character was stressing about her exams and developed an addiction to caffeine tablets. Or maybe it was Home and Away. In any case that seemed hilariously tame.
Was that not Saved By the Bell?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 03, 2022, 03:52:24 PM'member Brookside when Jacqui Dixon was running Bar Brookie and got into debt thanks to the protection racket and had to accept money to be a surrogate mother for Max and Susannah and went to Chester to hide out for the last trimester? And this happened?

I never really watched it at the time but kind-of wished I had because Barry Grant and Callum Finnegan sound like absolute madlads.

imitationleather

Did anyone else like Heartbreak High? That was only the show Neighbours could've been.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 03, 2022, 03:57:48 PMI remember some kid at school claiming to have seen a script for the grand finale, in which all of the neighbours went on a coach holiday together and died in a crash. This was pre-internet, so lord knows where he was supposed to have seen this shocking material (probably the same place his dad had got the secret new Nintendo that nobody was allowed to see).

Heh, I will never not enjoy a good schooldays bullshitting story.

QuoteWas that not Saved By the Bell?

It looks like it did happen in Saved By The Bell but I never watched Saved By The Bell and I'm sure my memory of this predates Saved By The Bell so I am now convinced it also happened in one of the Aussie soaps.

EDIT: Saved By The Bell started in 1989??? Bloody hell, I must have been confusing it with Boy Meets World.

Blue Jam

Quote from: imitationleather on March 03, 2022, 03:19:13 PMKarl Kennedy's band used to tour over here quite a lot.

The Right Prescription? Or did his real-life band have a different name? Presumably he wasn't a doctor in real life.

Famous Mortimer

I remember the band that a few of the kids started, that (in their brief moments on screen) sounded like some Shaggs ripoff, to the point where I wondered if one of the people writing the show was a fan of outsider music.

Gulftastic

I watched from the start, drifted away in the 90s, then returned in about 2004 and have been a loyal viewer since. It's my dinner time security blanket.

There have been good periods and bad ones but it was always there. I'll miss it terribly.

I'm pleased to say that I (and others) spotted Margot Robbie's potential almost immediately. She just had 'it'. She was part of possibly the worst group of teens in Neighbours history but still managed to shine, even when they partnered her off with the dreadful Ringo (mentioned in a prior post).

For all the talk of shocking moments going on at the moment, nothing compares to when the actress who played Harold's daughter Kerry (shot by duck hunters) returned as her exact double and Harold tried to cop off with her.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 03, 2022, 04:19:23 PMI remember the band that a few of the kids started, that (in their brief moments on screen) sounded like some Shaggs ripoff, to the point where I wondered if one of the people writing the show was a fan of outsider music.

While frantically searching for evidence that Scouse actually existed and I didn't invent him I found this old post:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=46055.msg2440194#msg2440194

Looks like I misremembered him and Scouse was the drummer in the band:

http://www.neighboursepisodes.com/index.php?year=1996&episode=2676

QuoteStonie and Scouse are having a jam session in the lounge room on drums and guitar! When they finish, Scouse tells Stonie that they should take the music scene by storm! Stonie comments that there aren't too many bands with just guitars and drums, but Scouse points out that that's what makes them so cool!

Sounds like they were definitely an outsider music band. I for one am convinced and I guess Scouse is simply too avant garde for the internet.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on March 03, 2022, 03:48:18 PMCan't be as good as the last episode of Brookside where they lynched a character that was a cypher for the controller of Channel 4.

Jack Michaelson.

The residents lynched him from one of the bedroom windows.

Redmond? Bitter?

Nahhh

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: imitationleather on March 03, 2022, 04:04:35 PMDid anyone else like Heartbreak High? That was only the show Neighbours could've been.

Was more of a Pugwall's Summer kind of guy.

imitationleather

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 03, 2022, 04:13:03 PMThe Right Prescription? Or did his real-life band have a different name? Presumably he wasn't a doctor in real life.

The real band was called Waiting Room.

(I assume, I always got them and The Right Prescription mixed up.)

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 03, 2022, 03:01:06 PMThen there were the Happy Shopper ones, like Shortland Street.

That was Kiwi you DUNCE.

Had a banging theme tune and Frankie Adams was in it and she's doing alright these days being Bobbi in The Expanse and that.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Gulftastic on March 03, 2022, 04:22:56 PMI'm pleased to say that I (and others) spotted Margot Robbie's potential almost immediately. She just had 'it'. She was part of possibly the worst group of teens in Neighbours history but still managed to shine, even when they partnered her off with the dreadful Ringo (mentioned in a prior post).

I did enjoy I, Tonya and The Wolf Of Wall Street. And I 'member her being good in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

I 'member when I first started watching House (MD) and thinking "Billy Kennedy has done alright for himself". And Dr House himself refusing to acknowledge Dr Chase's nationality:

QuoteYou've got the Queen on your money- you're British.

And then he went and did a medical negligence and
Spoiler alert
assassinated a dictator.
[close]
Still not as camp and OTT as half the stuff in Neighbours

imitationleather

Apparently Heartbreak High is being rebooted by Netflix this year!

Sgt. Duckie

Does anybody else remember Lou and Des being engulfed in soap bubbles when a washing machine became majorly out of control?

jobotic

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 03, 2022, 04:28:09 PMThat was Kiwi you DUNCE.

Had a banging theme tune and Frankie Adams was in it and she's doing alright these days being Bobbi in The Expanse and that.

That popped into my head the other day but i only know two lines

Is it me, or is it you?.....
.....Shortland Street