Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:40:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Baseball 2022 (if it ever happens)

Started by Famous Mortimer, March 09, 2022, 03:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Yeah and it means ageing sluggers who can't play the field will hold value. However it devalues fringe utility/bench players. I like those guys - give me a Ryan Goins over a Carlos Beltran any day of the week.

I'm over the hill, baseball-wise. Kids these days etc.

Famous Mortimer

Kind of amazing, but the Cardinals have signed their...second best ever player?...to a one-year contract which I very much hope will be his last. So, 2022 will have Yadier Molina, Adam Wainwright and Albert Pujols, and - providing they're sort of competitive - the ballpark will be packed to the rafters all year. I bet game 162 tickets, if all three are still healthy, will go for at least 1000% face value.

Famous Mortimer

Spring training doesn't have long to go, and I'm guessing with the As trading Sean Manaea to the Padres, that the Cardinals are unlikely to pick up any remaining free agents or make any trades. Eric Hosmer may be playing for a different club, come opening day, but that's going to be more an issue of how much of his contract the Padres will be prepared to pay.

How are you all feeling about your teams, coming into the season?

Herbert Ashe

Quote from: Herbert Ashe on March 13, 2022, 01:42:55 PMGot something of a rotation now, stoked to see how it'll fall apart this season.

3 down already. Luckily Scherzer is hamstring, not a throwing arm thing, but now Lucchesi is out, Tommy John. So yeah, Mets still gonna Mets in 2022.

Meanwhile, get a load of this shit:

QuoteThe league announced the launch of MLB Home Run Derby X on Wednesday, a new event that is slated to go on a global tour with stops in London, Seoul and Mexico City in 2022. Home Run Derby X will feature former MLB stars, including Adrian Gonzalez, Jonny Gomes, Geovany Soto and Nick Swisher competing as part of teams on a "reduced version of a baseball field."

The four teams competing represent four MLB oldest franchises: the Red Sox, the Cubs, the Dodgers and the Yankees.

"Inspired by the success and simplicity of the Home Run Derby the day before the MLB All-Star Game, Home Run Derby X has been developed with the goal of attracting a new audience to baseball; creating high-energy live event experiences and opportunities for digital storytelling," an MLB press release read.

Ferris

Mets have one of the highest payrolls in MLB right now, anything less than a pennant is a failed season so let's see how that goes.

Blue jays still in talks with Jose Ramírez to come and play second base which would be very good if it happens. As it is, I think Jays are favourite (?) for the AL East and barring a complete collapse will be expecting a playoff spot. Next few years is the window, so I hope they throw the kitchen sink at it.

Bernice

What we saying then fellas?

Quote from: Ferris on April 04, 2022, 01:21:39 PMMets have one of the highest payrolls in MLB right now, anything less than a pennant is a failed season so let's see how that goes.

So far so good though, eh? Even without DeGrom our pitching rotation looks pretty tasty. Still, it's a long old season.

Enjoyed the Cards kicking off over a naughty fastball whizzing by Arenado's head after they'd already hit Pete Alonso in the head and JD Davis in the ankle. Fun to watch Pete Alonso get suplexed by a five foot 50-year-old anyhow.

Ferris

What are we, 20 games in? Still 142 to go so I'd keep a lid on celebrations for now.

Jays offensive metrics are ridiculous, so I still like us for the pennant tbh and maybe not this year, but I think we will be in the conversation for the WS for the next few seasons which is very exciting if you've watched them for a pretty depressing decade as I have.

Vlad for MVP too I reckon, fucker absolutely rakes.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Bernice on April 28, 2022, 08:36:48 PMEnjoyed the Cards kicking off over a naughty fastball whizzing by Arenado's head after they'd already hit Pete Alonso in the head and JD Davis in the ankle. Fun to watch Pete Alonso get suplexed by a five foot 50-year-old anyhow.
Our first base coach, the delightfully named Stubby Clapp, there.

Arenado's complaint was, if you're going to throw at someone in some stupid retribution way, then don't go for the head. The pitch that hit Alonso was very obviously not deliberate, so treating it as if it was is just some old-school nonsense. There's the very long-standing enmity between the Cardinals and Mets (the Mets are usually referred to as "pond scum" in these parts) to factor into all this as well.

There do seem to be some legitimate issues with the quality of the balls this year. But when you read some pitcher complaining about needing some MLB-sponsored sticky stuff to maintain grip, the bit they don't say is "because I want to throw 98mph with movement". See page 1 for me banging on about my feelings on all this, no sense repeating it.

Bernice

Yeah, I broadly agree with that – if you're getting pissed off with getting hit (which they understandably are, after getting clocked 19 times in 20 games) it's best to keep your vengeance below the shoulders. I suspect there's more to it than the ball though.

I'm led to believe that all Americans are named Stubby Clapp.

Famous Mortimer

I'm a bit intrigued by the Trevor Bauer thing. Considering that MLB know he was definitely going to appeal, then sue if wasn't reinstated, I assume that they've got something spectacularly bad on him, from one of the women (perhaps the third accuser, who just stepped forward). Because there are players who were arrested and charged with actual crimes who didn't get anything close to the level of suspension Bauer got.

He's a prick, without a shadow of a doubt, and way too Online, but I don't think this is a deterrent to potential future abusers - this just feels like MLB getting revenge on a thorn in their side (forcing the sticky stuff reckoning, for one). Future players who get in trouble for being abusive pieces of shit know that if they just get their agent to write a nice apologetic statement, 20 games later and they'll be back on the field.

Ferris

MLB are definitely punishing him on the basis that it'll get reduced on appeal, and that he's been a PR headache for the organization for years. On that basis and considering no criminal charges are being filed, I suspect Bauer will win any grievance and be eligible to play before his current contract expires.

...However I also suspect the dodgers will release him and he's blackballed by all other teams. What GM would pick him up (Astros maybe)? Ethical issues and bad PR aside, he went out of his way to demonstrate that he was only elite because of the sticky stuff, he's the wrong side of 30 and his career stats (before spider tack) are so-so. It'll take him half a season to condition again, and after that who knows how he'll play?

He won't throw a pitch in MLB again. My guess is he becomes an ace in Mexico or Korea/NPB where this got less press attention and teams can take the risk, or his ego can't handle that so he "retires" then spends his days on twitter bragging about how much money he already made and/or becomes an edgelord crypto/NFT type.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Ferris on May 02, 2022, 01:49:29 PMHe won't throw a pitch in MLB again.
I think you're probably right. But an extremely online owner like Steve Cohen might take a chance, you never know.

In other news, there's an interesting article about pitcher usage up at the Ringer which I tend to agree with.

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2022/5/2/23052714/pitcher-roster-rules-limit

Ferris

"Hello these are our new middle infielders Mr Hader and Mr Romano. I don't expect them to play the field all that much, or bat; but I guess we'll throw them into pitch an inning every so often (ie once a game)."

If it's excitement, tactical management decisions, and pinch hitters/runners ye seek; abolish the DH!!

(Though yes, I largely agree with the rule.)

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Ferris on May 02, 2022, 03:30:39 PM"Hello these are our new middle infielders Mr Hader and Mr Romano. I don't expect them to play the field all that much, or bat; but I guess we'll throw them into pitch an inning every so often (ie once a game)."

If it's excitement, tactical management decisions, and pinch hitters/runners ye seek; abolish the DH!!

(Though yes, I largely agree with the rule.)
It'll have to come with a "no-one but these 14, or 13, or whatever, will be allowed to pitch, unless extra innings" caveat, one would think.

Ferris

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 02, 2022, 04:12:23 PMIt'll have to come with a "no-one but these 14, or 13, or whatever, will be allowed to pitch, unless extra innings" caveat, one would think.

Yeah and it would be pretty easy to police, I'm just being devils advocate for no reason.

Famous Mortimer

A couple of friends of mine in the UK are in their local, and the Cardinals game has come on BT Sport. So I'm being bombarded with pissed-up questions about the game, which is fun. One of them did say they were too drunk to even see the Arch (which looms in the background of every shot from behind home plate).

Talking of ballparks, are there any you'd like to visit? I'd like to see Pittsburgh's, San Fransisco's and definitely Toronto's (I'd have to stay in the hotel in centre field).

Ferris

Pittsburg is the one for me, just looks lovely. San Francisco is another one that looks like a good time.

sevendaughters

I've been to the Blue Jays, it was lovely. Angels was pretty soulless.

I'd love to go to any of 'em, fuck it.

Famous Mortimer

Good Jomboy breakdown of the Blue Jays getting a pitcher, coach and manager ejected for really not much. Are the umps getting worse / more ejection-happy, I wonder?

Gurke and Hare

I've been to Shea, Citifield, Veterans Stadium (old Philly ballpark), Nationals Stadium, Fenway, Turner Field, whatever the White Sox stadium is called these days, Miller Park, the Twins' old dome stadium, whatever the Mariners' stadium is called now and the Rogers centre. I also went to the minor league Erie Seawolves, playing the Bowie Baysox I think. I've been to Camden Yards, but not to see a game there as my trip there coincided unfortunately with a big underground fire in the area that caused the game to be postponed.

Anyway, Albert Pujols pitched the 9th last night.

Ferris

Yeah SkyDome is nice, there's a famous video of a couple mistakenly (?) believing the glass was one-way and shagging in the window with an audience of 40,000.

I went a few times with BlodwynPig formerly of this parish and had fun. Didn't shag each other though.

Ferris

@Gurke and Hare impressive list!

I'd love to tick off more than one but never bothered. I had 3 weeks in New York for work once but had an anxiety attack and basically stayed in my hotel in New Jersey instead of watching a ball game or doing basically anything except at the weekend.

Great work, very young ferris!

Famous Mortimer

I love that baseball still kicks out firsts like that. If he never pitches again, he'll have the highest ERA of any Hall of Fame member (beating Josh Gibson, whose only documented pitching appearance left him with a 21.60 ERA).

Apart from Busch, I've only been to a few independent ballparks - Gateway Grizzlies (Sauget, IL) and the River City Rascals (O'Fallon, MO). 

Famous Mortimer

Another very very rare achievement for the Cardinals over the weekend - four home runs in a row, only the 11th time in major league history that it's happened. They still struggled to win the game.

Famous Mortimer

Oh, and an even rarer one (given that it's the first time it's ever happened) - an 8-5 triple play from the Twins and Byron Buxton.

Ferris

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 05, 2022, 03:05:47 PMOh, and an even rarer one (given that it's the first time it's ever happened) - an 8-5 triple play from the Twins and Byron Buxton.

My son is 3 and knows to tag up on a caught fly ball. The fuck were moncado/Adam whatsisname doing?

dr beat

Been to see the Blue Jays and to Dodger Stadium. 

Also got in for free to see the Fresno Grizzlies in Minor League.  They sold Newcastle Brown, advertising it openly as 'the dogs bollocks'.

Ferris

Everyone remember the big deal Kris Bryant got from the Rockies? He hasn't hit a single home run all season, and only 5 extra base hits, worth -0.3 WAR for the year so far.

He's been injured, but still that's pretty bad in 100 PAs. Well worth the *checks notes* $182m they have committed to him.

Cuellar

Got really obsessed with baseball over the past week or so during a real profound depression, not leaving bed or eating tier depression. I had to find something to distract and occupy my turbulent mind and I found the incomprehensible stat babble from the smooth-voiced announcers and the gentle murmur of the crowd interspersed with the occasional *crack* of bat on ball very soothing. It's main attraction was its impenetrability.

Truly amazing the amount of statistcs it can generate, to the point where I think that's its main purpose. I've been having to look up about 5 3-letter acronyms every 10 minutes.

And the constant consumerism of it all. Cutting to supplementary announcers whose main job is to go to the concession stand and go on about how great the hot dogs are at Fenway Park. The way the announcers don't miss a beat when punting the sponsors of each section of the game: "here's how Tampa Bay's defence looks brought to you by wearetoyota.com find factory-certified toyotas here toyota let's go places there's Arozarena, Josh Lowe, Kiermeier...". Delivered in the exact same tone and with the same weight as when imparting the objective facts of the game.

And there's so much of it - like 10 games a day.

I don't mind it.

Ferris

It's really a brilliant sport to listen to.

Keep going, I reckon. Once a telecast the announcers do the whole "you can't be watching this unless you've paid for it, it's copyright mate" spiel and it makes me chuckle every time. I could recite it to you verbatim but that's quite a boring thing to do.

(This copyrighted telecast is brought to you in partnership with Rogers... etc)