Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:32:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

" Killing Eve" Backlash

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, March 11, 2022, 07:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Despite being officially broadcast on a proper BBC channel and being given a Radio Times cover, no official " Series 4" Thread on the Forum. Also, this series has been given a right old critical drubbing from various quarters, one piece in The New Statesman stating that the whole thing should have stopped after series 2, when it looked like yer woman Eve actually had been kilt, and I can sort of see the point of that. Giving each series a different showrunner was a mistake, an interesting experiment, but leading to wildly inconsistent characterisation and unnecessary focus on characters what would have been better off remaining peripheral. Havenae seen any of the fourth series yet, but it does sound like an awful lot of old bollocks. The Her Who Plays VillanelleMania of the Summer of 2019 seems an awfully long time ago. So, days are gone? Are we now living through Post-HWPV times?

Dr Rock

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Bad Ambassador

I watched the first episode of the first series some time after the initial hype had died down. I thought it was fine, but not sufficiently interesting to make me watch another.

timebug

Never fancied it when it started,and from clips and trailers I have seen, I am happy with my decision!

Neomod

I think I made it to episode 5 of the first series then sacked it off. Found the character's a bit annoying as I recall.

From what I saw I was somewhat surprised by the plaudits it's received.

Poobum

Writers are far too in love with the character to a fetishistic degree, imagine they're the sort who wank themselves silly to true crime podcasts.

Alberon

The first series was gold, second series wobbled a bit and the third really didn't know what it was doing. Not started the fourth yet, but there is a reason virtually no one really cares now.

Dex Sawash

I'll keep watching but have a lot of hoops to look at for next few weeks.

Whatever load of old shite they have thrown out so far has been worth it for the
Spoiler alert
her who also plays Jesus
[close]
bits.

Really given me a
Spoiler alert
come to Jesus moment
[close]

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Captain Z on March 11, 2022, 10:59:53 AMThere is a Killing Eve Series 4 thread on this forum.

Started by you.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=92972.0

Just eleven days ago.

That's beautiful.

Alberon

Ah, but that's the 'Killing Eve on iPlayer' not the 'Official Killing Eve on BBC 1 thread'.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Alberon on March 11, 2022, 01:08:53 PMAh, but that's the 'Killing Eve on iPlayer' not the 'Official Killing Eve on BBC 1 thread'.

Well said, Brother Alberon.

Christ, if you love Jodie Comer so much, why don't you marry her?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 11, 2022, 02:18:17 PMChrist, if you love Jodie Comer so much, why don't you marry her?

A tentative proposal along these lines was made to a young lady of actual Russian provenance who bore quite the resemblance to Ms. Comer. It did not go well.
( Did I ever mention this on this forum? Do you know, I've quite forgotten.)

Mister Six

Quote from: Poobum on March 11, 2022, 09:58:05 AMWriters are far too in love with the character to a fetishistic degree, imagine they're the sort who wank themselves silly to true crime podcasts.

Sounds like it's had the same writing trajectory as Dexter, just more compressed, then.

Hasn't it been critically drubbed, at least a bit, since series 2? The wisdom I've received is that the first series is great, but the moment Fleabag left the series it went down the pan.

the science eel

SweetPomPom

2nd series stopped us watching due to shitness.
Now there's a finish line we went back to 3 and it's a little better, it even has a bit of plot.

Shouldn't this be a birthday thread or is that separate?

olliebean

I thought series 1 was good, but series 2 was a slog. Gave up two episodes into series 3 when it seems just as much of a slog. Read a couple of (favourable) series 4 reviews wanking on about her being Jesus or something, and just thought, nah, fuck off.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on March 11, 2022, 02:29:08 PMA tentative proposal along these lines was made to a young lady of actual Russian provenance who bore quite the resemblance to Ms. Comer. It did not go well.
( Did I ever mention this on this forum? Do you know, I've quite forgotten.)

Do you write the 'Real Ale Twats' strip in Viz?

Fisher Goes Berserk

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 11, 2022, 11:37:50 AMI'll keep watching but have a lot of hoops to look at for next few weeks.

Whatever load of old shite they have thrown out so far has been worth it for the
Spoiler alert
her who also plays Jesus
[close]
bits.

Really given me a
Spoiler alert
come to Jesus moment
[close]

Same. During the bit where she was

Spoiler alert
sitting on her own/Jesus's knee
[close]

I realised I had my head tilted all the way to one side like a puppy.

I'm enjoying the series but probably won't remember much about it when it's done.

GolazoDan

I'm watching series 1 at the moment and I'm appalled it's made it to series 4 and there's apparently still a will they/won't they thing. I don't think even Jodie Comer can be forgiven for bodying the beautiful

Spoiler alert
bloke off of The Thin Blue Line
[close]

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

What's all this I hear about Her Who Plays Villanelle also Playing Jesus, and being pretty blummin (even more) sexy while she's about it??

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Oh wait, she's got a beard too? That's just plain confusing.

Brundle-Fly

Four years ago Gogglebox killed Killing Eve for me from the off. Utterly spoilered ITF. Jettisoned Gogglebox in the end because of it ruining so many dramas. No point watching anything with your finger hovering over the FFWD button (apart from The Two Ronnies and Top Of The Pops)

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: the science eel on March 11, 2022, 02:35:27 PMIT's a LORRA FUN

Hey, Eely, have you started viewing the 4th series? I seem to recall you also being quite the fan of HWPV.

the science eel

I haven't started with it yet, no, but I did enjoy the third.

I get that it's been on a bit of a downward trajectory quality-wise blah blah blah but - as I said - it's always fun. I'd rather they made more half-decent silly episodes than stop abruptly after one season 'cos of integrity or some bollocks.

sevendaughters

Absolute swill from the get go.

neveragain

Is anyone still watching? The last episode was so dull.

JesusAndYourBush

I am, but on tv not Iplayer.

Is this confirmed as the last series? (EDIT: It is. Good.)

I wonder what the chances are of Eve and Villanelle getting it on before the end if the series.