Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:46:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

" Killing Eve" Backlash

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, March 11, 2022, 07:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on July 27, 2022, 04:13:15 PMBeware, episode 2 may cause obsession for christianity. Fortunately, it will be short-lived.

Hmmmm....having viewed the second episode last night, I see what you mean. I found myself, after the initial misgivings following their appearance in the first episode, being quite taken by the scenes with Sexy Jesus, especially the lap- sitting scene, and despite She's appearance reminding me of Russel Brand fair put me off me stroke, so it did. The dialogue remains as schlonky as ever, especially Eve's lines ( " What if your know-how is the only know-how how not worth knowing?". Fuck Off), the pilot's still irksomely daft
Spoiler alert
( Would that gang of Bible Bashers really say " We don't care if the Vicar *did* kill his missus in a car crash cos he was pissed up, that was all in the past, and we think he's a great bunch of lads nowadays"?)
[close]
, and the show seems to have established some "tropes" as I think the young people in the shopping centres call them nowadays ( brutal killings ( with purple CGI blood??) set to self- consciously incongruous music, Villanelle ( played by HWPV) striding off after her killing, face giving it the full emote: also the call back to SE 01 when Eve rather ludicrously went round to French Lesbian Boss Lady's gaff all on her own, and offered to cook her Shepherd's pie).
Back to Sexy Jesus: I was quite surprised at how edge(Our)Lord those scenes were , especially the
Spoiler alert
straddling/ crucifixion by tent pegs
[close]
scene. I suppose the BBC have reasoned there aren't many hard-core Christian types in the viewing demographic certainly not as many as those who think HWPV is fit as fuck. Oh, and I got a nice, nostalgic feeling when Carolyn was put in that safehouse in Moscow, it reminded me of the last flat I lived in in that fair city.
So, E02 not quite as rubbish as E01, then. Was moved to go on to watch E03, but nothing remarkable about this 'un. HWPV gave good pleading face to Eve in that hotel room scene, and looked pretty natty in that suit she was wearing when she paid a friendly visit to that Psychotherapist ( any need for that used- to- dealing- with- hardened- psychos expert to use the phrase " feel like poo" though?)I'd just like to add that the Daniel Radcliffe Lookalike Brother - killing Pam who Frenchie is keen to employ has the widest eyes on a human being I ever did seen, she makes Peter Lorre look like Julian Barrett.
Anyway, Alberon has already hinted that this is as good as it gets in this series, but am hoping to find more things worthy of comment in this final season. I dare say I'll watch E04 tonight.

Well worth a new page eh?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I've watched episodes 4-6 now, but no-one's actually reading these posts, are they?

Alberon

I am, but then I'm just a simple chatbot program.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Worrabout the E06 bit, where a post- pierced by arrow HWPV showed a bit of skin, eh, Botters?  Wa-hey!

Dex Sawash

Feels like the end of an era here.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 29, 2022, 11:35:02 AMFeels like the end of an era here.

Just two episodes to go now, then I'll have to say a definitive " Paka" to HWPV, her really smashing outfits, her sexy scrunging ( " scrunge" being the sound effect for what Faceache from " Buster" comic used to do when he made all those faces), her inspired eyebrows acting, etc.

Have assiduously avoided all spoilers for the ending,too. Too much to hope for a happy ending, Eve and Villers finally shag each other, then walk off into the sunset, looking forward to a lifetime of lezzing up, and killing baddies?

Dex Sawash

I couldn't recall the ending, checked and I never finished watching. Skipping to last episode though.

Ant Farm Keyboard

IIRC, at that point, you've reached a staple of great shows in their twilight years – the barely introduced very important character who had never been mentioned until that point, and who will prove to have exactly zero value for the overall narrative.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Episode 7: Villanelle, played by HWPV, has gone visiting Tracey Emin on a remote Scottish island. Tracey Emin , it turns out, is an even bigger psychopath than Villers ( Villers utilises a " Lummee, that's a bit much " expression as Tracey Emin does some fisherman filleting in one of the acts of increasingly quease-making acts of violence what, along with the meandering mess of a plot, has planted KE firmly in latter day " Luther" land. Anyways, Villers and Tracey Emin get on like a house on fire, and inevitable sagging slogging follows ( this is how mine lovely tablet renders the phrase " sapphic snogging", but I've decided to keep that phrase in, as it seems an accurately apposite way of describing the Giving Eve A Ruddy Good Killing Fourth Series Viewing Experience).
Back to Eve and that feller she works with for that security firm or whatever job she does nowadays, who she's been shagging. Oho, looks like matey boy's suggesting shagging again! But, no! - HE ACTUALLY MEANT KARAOKE! HAHAHA HAHAHA!Eve's belting out a song, quite a good singer she is too, but then she has visions of Stephen Toast her former husband , I assume he's dead by now, was mentioned in passing once this series, David Haig wearing a lovely jazzy shirt, a lady who I think was one of Eve's colleagues in SEO1, can't be sure,she didn't get killed, did she?, and that Asian lady from " Ideal", maybe she wandered into the scene by mistake, all these past characters gathered together in a vision just like at the end of that Star Trek film, but Eve's not happy to see them, she gets all upset. In a later scene she visits Four Lions the Psychotherapist, because she 's feeling like poo in a scene involving those little containers of milk you have nowadays, some doubtless significant dialogue takes place, wasn't really listening.
In another " the gang's all here" scene Konstantin The Former Keeper Of Villers Who Gives A Big, Hearty Laugh When It's Not Really Called For receives a phone call from his daughter ( voice only part, shame, she's a good actress that daughter girl), but gives no hearty laugh, as he's all sad about that daughter of his. Speaking of inevitability ( as I was with the sapping slogging thing a paragraph or so ago )
Spoiler alert
In a scene which was hugely telegraphed in the previous episode when Frenchie was on the phone, clearly talking about another killing that pesky Twelve like to get up to and saying " Oh I'll give that one to ol'Planet Sized Eyes, it'll be a challenge for her, so it will", prior to getting the killed by Villers treatment, Konsto gets dispatched to his complete surprise, but possibly not to the surprise of KE's viewers who saw The Girl With The Blummin' Big Eyes furtively handling the Chekovian pizza slicer scant seconds before. The second throat slicing of the series takes place  and Konnie has a death scene that would be poignant if he didn't remind me of Jim Broadbent in his final death face expression. He sends hugs and kisses to Carolyn. 
[close]
Final Scene: Eve's gone to that remote Scottish Island to find Villers. Villers herself has decided she doesnae really want to live on a remote Scottish island having sloppy Sapphic snogs with Tracey Emin and listening to the shipping forecast, it doesnae seem such a great life for her sassy psychopathic self, but Tracey Emin has not taken kindly to this news, and has said " Right then, missy, I'm going to rip you apart slowly so I am, how d'you fancy that, then, eh?" . Villo doesn't really fancy that much, and is now running like buggery , with Tracey Emin in hot pursuit. But now Tracey Emin's spotted the hapless Eve, and has thought " Right, she'll do for some hot rip- apart action", and the scene and the show ends on a right old cliff- hanger. Oh noes! Is this the end for Eve? No happy lezzup ending for her and Villers? One more episode to go.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 30, 2022, 08:09:47 AMEDIT: Double Post.

Cleaner one to quote^ thanks.

I've seen that one for sure, probably. Think I'll wait for next recap instead of watching more.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on July 29, 2022, 07:39:30 PMIIRC, at that point, you've reached a staple of great shows in their twilight years – the barely introduced very important character who had never been mentioned until that point, and who will prove to have exactly zero value for the overall narrative.

Hope I can watch closely enough to figure out who that is.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 30, 2022, 12:46:31 PMHope I can watch closely enough to figure out who that is.

(CLUE) She's mentioned in the recap. And I only remember her because of some comment that was posted on the web after the finale aired.

Spoiler alert
Gunn is actually the luckiest character, as she didn't have to watch the rest of the episode.
[close]

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Right, seen the last episode, but am far too upset to comment on it, sorry.
Actually, I'll just say that I normally like it when the wacky KE writers mess about with the BIG LOCATION CAPTIONS, but I just found "A BOTHY ( Google it)" to be a bit smug, sorry again.

End of an era, lads. End Of an era.

JesusAndYourBush

Was the Eve & Villanelle
Spoiler alert
pissing
[close]
scene in the final episode or was it in one of the earlier ones?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

The last one. Not going to spoiler anything now, as I assume no - one's arsed anymore.
The roadside pissing scene was immediately prior to the chaste kiss planted on Eve's cheek by Villers, leading to
rampant snogging and what I can only assume was full - on fanny fun betwixt the two in the stolen campervan.
One reason for the subsequent scenes being upsetting was how illogical and fucking stupid they were, even by the standards of this show. Upsetting to witness the viewers' intelligence being insulted.

THE END

( The Goodies always used to do that finality- inducing THE END thing at the end of all their episodes, didn't they?  Nicked off Python, like most of their schtick, of course).

Alberon

It's obvious the gibbons who were handed control of the show for this final series did not have a fucking clue.

Chibnall would be embarrassed at producing this shite.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

So, what's next for HWUTPV? Lead role in "The Chloe Kelly Story" ?

Ant Farm Keyboard

For the record, the author of the original books has disavowed the ending to the TV show and has promised to continue the story from his novellas on his own.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/apr/22/killing-eve-writer-tv-finale

Alberon

Weren't they supposed to be dreadful rubbish too?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Yeah, they are supposed to be pretty bad, I've never been curious enough to even flick through one, but in the current books, It's Villanelle n Eve being a crimefighting duo together, and that's the direction the show would have to go in,were it not to have ended the 4th series that way.
Not sure if that would have actually worked, it would have been an entirely different kind of show, plus the title would have to be changed, as it wouldn't make any sense. HWPV would still be fit as fuck, mind you.

madhair60

more like Not Giving A Shit Eve

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

If only the writer of the final episode had given a " willing reprieve"* to poor old Villers in that last episode, eh, readers ( *keen Lisa followers will know I've used this title before, and will let me off, I'm sure)?

What do you mean " If only you weren't so blatantly desperate to keep this page from sinking down the page into deserved obscurity, you sad old git"?

mjwilson

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 31, 2022, 07:38:36 PMSo, what's next for HWUTPV? Lead role in "The Chloe Kelly Story" ?

I am seeing Her Who Used to Play Vilanelle Play A Lawyer Instead this evening.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: mjwilson on August 01, 2022, 12:59:42 PMI am seeing Her Who Used to Play Vilanelle Play A Lawyer Instead this evening.

^ Did HWUTPVPALI give a good performance?

mjwilson

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 02, 2022, 02:16:18 PM^ Did HWUTPVPALI give a good performance?

Incredible, try and catch it if it's still on at a cinema near you and if you don't mind a lot of trigger warnings on your plays.

(Prima Facie that is)

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 31, 2022, 07:38:36 PMSo, what's next for HWUTPV? Lead role in "The Chloe Kelly Story" ?

First of all, thanks for the response, mjwilson, glad to hear you enjoyed the performance of this top actress. Secondly, the above quote should definitely become a reality, HWUTPV would be perfectly suited to the role and it would be quite nice to see her running around a footie pitch in a sports bra.

This may well be the final post in this thread :(

Retinend

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 03, 2022, 08:19:55 AMThis may well be the final post in this thread :(

You'd like that, wouldn't you. It's mine.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Retinend on August 03, 2022, 01:36:48 PMYou'd like that, wouldn't you. It's mine.

I really don't want that to happen, so let me tell you a story about my mum invoking that great parental " your mate" reference, which happened this very morning.
The athlete Katerina Johnson- Thompson was on breakfast telly this morning, and my mum kindly informed me that she ( KJ-T) " was at school with your mate", the mate in question being HWUTPV, of course.
Other people my mum has referred to as " my mate" have included Sarah Pascoe, Mark E. Smith and ( bizarrely) Vladimir Putin.

Probably the final post, then :(

Dex Sawash

I still have an episode to watch