Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:56:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Thief, His Wife and the Canoe (ITV Canoe Man comedy drama)

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, April 14, 2022, 11:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 19, 2022, 10:17:15 PMI'd love to know how Karl Pilkington ended up having a (distracting) cameo in this. The Canoe Man saga is exactly the sort of thing he'd be obsessed with, so I wouldn't be surprised if he actually asked to be in it.

To be fair he's not a bad actor either. Sick of It was great.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

He's a good, natural actor, I agree. It's just a bit odd that he turned up in this.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

He wasn't really "acting" though, was he? He was essentially reading some lines as himself. Clearly going for the Alan Rickman/Clint Eastwood/John Wayne/Ricky Gervais acting style.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

According to the credits after John Darwin got out of prison he moved out to the Philippines and married a local.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 21, 2022, 02:45:31 AMHe wasn't really "acting" though, was he? He was essentially reading some lines as himself. Clearly going for the Alan Rickman/Clint Eastwood/John Wayne/Ricky Gervais acting style.

I wasn't suggesting that he's the new Laurence fucking Olivier. Obviously.

jobotic

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on April 20, 2022, 04:42:54 PMSeeing how many years went by before he was caught, despite that he seemed to me making it up as he went along, makes me think that there are probably quite a few people who did proper planning and faked their death and got away with it, never to be caught.

Suppose if you just want to disappear and be left alone it's a bit easier - it's when you want an insurance pay out that it gets tricky.

I made that up, I don't have a clue. Haven't disappeared since I murdered the nanny back in '74.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: jobotic on April 21, 2022, 09:52:05 AMSuppose if you just want to disappear and be left alone it's a bit easier - it's when you want an insurance pay out that it gets tricky.

I made that up, I don't have a clue. Haven't disappeared since I murdered the nanny back in '74.

From the ITV version getting the payout seemed to require a little bit of manipulation to get the death certificate and then he only really got caught because he handed himself in in order to be resurrected.

Your situation might be more complicated, your grace.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Des Wigwam on April 21, 2022, 12:31:17 PMFrom the ITV version getting the payout seemed to require a little bit of manipulation to get the death certificate and then he only really got caught because he handed himself in in order to be resurrected.

They already had the insurance money.  It was something about the law in Panama requiring him to have credentials he didn't have in order to complete the land deal.  Of course his wife could have done it in her name but greed meant that wasn't good enough for him so he resorted to his ridiculous amnesia plan.

Des Wigwam

Ah yes - I'd forgotten that forced his hand. Wasn't it less about him not being able to do that land deal himself (although that must have been a massive factor) and more about residency requiring certificate of good character type stuff from a UK police force (basically a DBS check)?

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 21, 2022, 04:29:34 AMAccording to the credits after John Darwin got out of prison he moved out to the Philippines and married a local.

I wonder if that has the same sort of jeopardy as marrying a Thai lady (or man I assume) in that you can't own any property unless you are a Thai national. Hasn't someone on here got a bad uncle who is in a situation like that?

JesusAndYourBush

Ah yes residency, that was it.  Surely he could have tried to stay there as an illegal immigrant?

popcorn

Watched the first three minutes of this, with the terrible car chase, and turned off when they did the freezeframe "Yep, that's me. You're probably wondering how I got into this mess..." but with the wife of the man who faked his death in a canoe.

daf

That was a bit gimmicky, but you can fast forward though that to get to the chronological start.

It's proper good - like a real-life Midsomer Murders without the Murder!

daf

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 21, 2022, 04:29:34 AMAccording to the credits after John Darwin got out of prison he moved out to the Philippines and married a local.

I bet he did, the old dirty bollocks!!

Captain Z

My heart actually sank for the poor woman when I saw that.

Aaron500

I would have liked the script to acknowledge that it was a kayak, not a canoe.

Des Wigwam

It's like people who say Tannoy when they mean public address system. Tannoy is a brand name.

I agree with you.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I struggle to get over Eddie Marsan's strangely compressed looking head sometimes. It's very distracting.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Des Wigwam on April 21, 2022, 02:11:41 PMI wonder if that has the same sort of jeopardy as marrying a Thai lady (or man I assume) in that you can't own any property unless you are a Thai national. Hasn't someone on here got a bad uncle who is in a situation like that?

Sort of, I had a bad Step-Brother who left his partner and two (young) children and went to the Philippines to run a brothel. He then got in to a relationship with one of the women he hired, who persuaded him to build a house over there, and it had to be in her name as non-nationals couldn't own property.

The story has a happy ending though, as the minute it was finished she dumped him, legally he was fucked, and then he came down with tuberculosis, couldn't afford the hospital bills, and came back to the UK and moved back in with his very elderly mother.

The Lurker

Virgo76

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 23, 2022, 10:25:50 PMSort of, I had a bad Step-Brother who left his partner and two (young) children and went to the Philippines to run a brothel. He then got in to a relationship with one of the women he hired, who persuaded him to build a house over there, and it had to be in her name as non-nationals couldn't own property.

Good to hear they did things by the book. So easy to cut corners and end up breaking the law. Am glad they avoided this.

Icehaven

Just watched this yesterday and couldn't for the life of me work out why she didn't just kill him while he was living next door. Then I thought it's probably because she's not a murderous psycho and maybe I am.
Anyway generally enjoyed it, although found the bit where he made the decision to go back to the UK and feign amnesia frustratingly short on detail as to why, I mean after all their hassle and having seemingly got away with it it seemed absurd to not just try and live somewhere they didn't need a character reference, or just fake one. But it was told from her point of view, so maybe she just never really got him to justify it either. By her own admission she just went along with his madnesses because she didn't have the confidence to properly stand up to him.
Don't know how true the bit about someone he knew seeing him in the street was but if the police really didn't investigate that any further than a quick word with the wife then they're even more useless than they seem. All they'd have had to do was have a look around the house and they'd have found the (noticeably coffin shaped... ) door to next door and it'd have been game over.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Icehaven on July 25, 2022, 04:16:44 PMJust watched this yesterday and couldn't for the life of me work out why she didn't just kill him while he was living next door. Then I thought it's probably because she's not a murderous psycho and maybe I am.
Anyway generally enjoyed it, although found the bit where he made the decision to go back to the UK and feign amnesia frustratingly short on detail as to why, I mean after all their hassle and having seemingly got away with it it seemed absurd to not just try and live somewhere they didn't need a character reference, or just fake one. But it was told from her point of view, so maybe she just never really got him to justify it either. By her own admission she just went along with his madnesses because she didn't have the confidence to properly stand up to him.

He is a completely deluded idiot who, once an idea is in his head, will go through with it, of course deeming it to be a galaxy brain level fail safe plan. He reminds me of the john cleese quote about some people are so thick they have no capacity to understand just how stupid they are.

markburgle

Quote from: Icehaven on July 25, 2022, 04:16:44 PMDon't know how true the bit about someone he knew seeing him in the street was but if the police really didn't investigate that any further than a quick word with the wife then they're even more useless than they seem. All they'd have had to do was have a look around the house and they'd have found the (noticeably coffin shaped... ) door to next door and it'd have been game over.

According to wikipedia one of the bedsit tenants of the house-next-door ran into him a few months later and said "aren't you meant to be dead?". But he didn't want to get involved and so never went to the police about it

Icehaven

Quote from: markburgle on July 28, 2022, 05:43:31 PMAccording to wikipedia one of the bedsit tenants of the house-next-door ran into him a few months later and said "aren't you meant to be dead?". But he didn't want to get involved and so never went to the police about it

Haha! I so hope that's true.