Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 07:01:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Euro 2022

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, July 06, 2022, 10:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greencalx

I only caught the second half, and found it to be a much more pleasant affair without all the cry-baby play acting and Prima Donna behaviour that typifies a men's game. I fear though that as the women's game becomes more competitive this will start to seep in. (got some vibes off Ellen White, for example)

Kankurette

Daniëlle van de Donk is the Netherlands' queen of shitbaggery. Definitely one to watch.

Kankurette

I love Ian Wright. For all his faults, he's always been a big supporter of women's football (and he was really supportive to Eni Aluko as well). I'm amazed Lord Sugar was even watching it tbh, he has a real 'women belong in the kitchen and not on the pitch' vibe. Besides, male football matches have predominantly male commentators and pundits, so why shouldn't women's matches have female ones? And they've still had male commentary, isn't Ally McCoist one of the commentators?

Wrighty's a national treasure.

Off to Netherlands v Portugal tomorrow. Vivianne Miedema's out with Covid :(

shoulders

Yeah if it's a tossup between Wrighty and 'Lord' Sugar, no contest.

Honoured by a Labour government, ffs. In case you ever hold an opinion like 'just tack right a bit more and we get in', have a fucking word with yourself via that depressing fact.

Kankurette

Her AND van Veenendaal are out? Dutch officially cursed now.

DocDaneeka

Tiki Taka Tiki Taka, this Spanish team is making me want a Tiki drink!

Kankurette

Just watched Christensen's save from the Denmark game. Well played, that goalie. Makes up for the failtastic Panos concession earlier. "Oh whoopsies, I just passed the ball to a German. And now she's gone and scored."

FalknerHinton

Quote from: greencalx on July 12, 2022, 09:28:25 AMI only caught the second half, and found it to be a much more pleasant affair without all the cry-baby play acting and Prima Donna behaviour that typifies a men's game. I fear though that as the women's game becomes more competitive this will start to seep in. (got some vibes off Ellen White, for example)

I've been really enjoying the tournament so far, it might sound a bit weird but I always get the impression that they're actually having fun playing football? Not so much when you're on the end of a tonking obviously, but in general all the games have had good vibes, as the yoot probably don't say anymore.

That penalty for England's first goal though. I don't want to say she outright dived, but it was an incredibly soft decision. Bit surprised VAR didn't get involved.

Kankurette

Women do cheat, but not at EPL levels. The amount of diving in men's football is fucking depressing and it's even worse when it's decent players doing it. Salah doesn't need to cheat! Neither does Kane!

FalknerHinton

Oh for sure, I'm not suggesting that cheating is an inherently male trait or anything!

I think I'd probably describe White as playing for the penalty, rather than Raheem Sterling it, it was just a bit jarring.

Kankurette

I know, I just find it refreshing that the women's game doesn't have loads of dickheads rolling around on the floor going 'WAAAAH SHE LOOKED AT ME FUNNY'.

Brian Freeze

I think Ellen White made the most of the contact and then put the onus on the ref to make the decision. Didnt half remind me of how I imagine Harold Kane plays the game.

Would love to see how well Alex Greenwood would play for PNE.

I thought the Ellen White decision was both a definite penalty and a bit of a dive.

I'm surprised to hear so many people saying that VAR should've overruled it. The Norway defender tugs her sleeve and impedes her with a straight arm. Possibly even treads on her toes. And then she takes a dramatic tumble. But no tumble = no pen. And that was a definite pen for me, Gabby.

Fuck VAR anyway. I like that it's barely been used so far.

I'm also really enjoying the tournament. Completely agree with FalknerHinton about the players looking like they're having fun. I also think it's one of the purest forms of the game. No tiresome narratives, no coaches making it all about them (and therefore nobody calling them bald frauds), no memes, no endless speculation about who's signing who after the tournament. It just seems to be all about what happens on the pitch. I'm well into it.

Vodkafone

I also much prefer it to the men's game overall. I like to imagine Neymar Jr watching the women's games and thinking "why are they just playing football"

Kankurette

"Why isn't she rolling around like a twat?"

Speaking of Brazilians, Marta is a proper mard arse. Love her.

A few of the Swiss players have been diving all over the place in this game, bit risky as I heard lots of them have got a stomach bug.

Cuellar

Gotta love the Dutch tbf

DocDaneeka

One of the Dutch players is called Eggroller!*

*Egurrola

imitationleather

Danny Dyer saying "Eggroller", then.

Kankurette

FUCKING DRUMS. SHUT UUUUUP. It's like being at Hillsborough.

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on July 12, 2022, 09:02:03 PMOff to Netherlands v Portugal tomorrow. Vivianne Miedema's out with Covid :(

I needn't have worried. Belting game. My favourite non-England match of the tournament so far. Great entertainment for a tenner.

Kankurette

I tuned in when van de Donk scored, and it was fun. Netherlands looked a bit knackered by the end, but managed to hang in there and van Domselaar handled herself pretty well considering how little experience she has. Also, the Portuguese women's team are a lot less cunty than the men due to not having Pepe, Fernandes or RONALADO.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on July 13, 2022, 11:46:20 PMI needn't have worried. Belting game. My favourite non-England match of the tournament so far. Great entertainment for a tenner.

How was it being there with one end completely empty?

(At least it looked empty on the bits of telly I was able to catch)

sevendaughters

Quote from: Brian Freeze on July 14, 2022, 07:13:06 AMHow was it being there with one end completely empty?

It was odd because there were 6800-7000 announced as being there and it felt a little less than that - but that end is emptied because it's a standing terrace, which makes the decision to choose a rugby stadium/MUFC youth and women's stadium all the weirder. But the atmosphere was good throughout, not as febrile and teeth-baring as a men's game, but a lot of fun to be at.

dr beat

Another problem with Leigh is that its difficult to get there via public transport as the town doesn't have a railway station.

Quote from: Brian Freeze on July 14, 2022, 07:13:06 AMHow was it being there with one end completely empty?

One end is terraced which UEFA don't permit, which is why that bit was closed. I didn't give it a second thought really.

Once again though it was another match that was officially sold out yet full of empty seats in all the stands. Piss poor organisation. There are people who want to go to the games but can't.

I've loved the atmosphere at both of the games I've been to. It mirrors my experiences at West Didsbury and Chorlton: the football matters, but the atmosphere's casual and completely non-toxic.

Brian Freeze

Glad it didnt put you off the game then, and to hear the atmosphere around the game was still enjoyable.

Saturdays game was the only match I've ever worn sandals to. There were some noisy lads bashing the tin at the back of the Kop which was at odds with the whole event but they didn't spoil it.

Kankurette

No change there. That fucking band are up there with relegation and the cake ball in terms of Bad Wednesday Things.