Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:31:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Big Brother coming back?

Started by Ja'moke, August 01, 2022, 08:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: oggyraiding on August 05, 2022, 02:58:24 PMI liked Emily's "middle class white girl trying to be cool" by saying "wow you're really pushing it out n****" to Charley when dancing and then getting evicted for racism. Just looked it up, this was only a few months after the Jade Goody/Shilpa Shetty fiasco. A very racist year for the Big Brother population.

I think that was all calculated, pass it off as bants, get a slap on the wrist and make a name for herself and get the spotlight early on.
Backfired spectacularly because, like you say, they weren't fucking about after the coven turned on Shilpa. She was out on her arse before she'd even warmed her bed up.

Speaking of nice but boring Rachel with the bum. I was a big fan of elizabeth from bb2.
That's when I started watching.
Thought I was above it all so didn't watch the first series.
Realised I wasn't when the second one aired.
Oh yeah, and Helen was great :D

Replies From View

I remember Emily saying "oh that's such a shame" in the diary room when she was told she was being evicted as a racist.  Repressed and middle class as fuck.

Custard

Oh, that's a shame. Back to my two million pound house with heated outdoor swimming pool then, sigh...

Custard

My favourite series was deffo BB5. Late nights watching the live feed as Victor and Jason sat up plotting and slagging off the other idiots. I think it was the first time contestants openly admitted to playing a game. So good

It kinda worked too. Jason was a knob, but he came second. Victor still lingers in the mind when so many housemates have long faded in the memory

Though it was funny when that year's winner, Nadia, returned a few years later for Ultimate Big Brother, and had become so difficult and egotistical that she was royally booed once evicted. She was in complete disbelief and sobbing as she walked down the stairs. Talk about backfiring

Yeah, that was when it peaked, then we had BB6 with anthony hutton and craig his creepy stalker, which was another vintage year.
That bit where he got drunk and was overheating because he'd been forced to wear a wetsuit all day for some reason, vomiting into a bowl that craig was dutifully holding for him and he's going "how man, just fuckin' leave uz alone, please"
I was in stitches watching that.

Custard

Haha yeah, though that Craig and Antnee situation got a bit disturbing from what I recall. Wasn't Craig having a good old feel of his pecs and kissing him and stuff when he was paralytic? Or is that from one of my darkest nightmares?

"Don't you EVER hoy a bottle at me again!"

daf

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on August 05, 2022, 04:20:06 PMOh yeah, and Helen was great :D

I love blinking I do!

(still got 3 or 4 videotapes I recorded from the last few weeks of BB2!)

Custard

I did rewatch most of BB5 on YouTube around ten years ago, as someone had uploaded the entire run. It was still fantastic. Though sadly the live feeds are lost to time

thr0b

BB5 and 6 were definitely peak. The Jungle Cats in BB5 - ludicrous naming, but just watching Victor and Jason get angrier and angrier as all around them became screaming idiots. Then FIGHT NIGHT, which I watched live until the feed got cut. Vintage.

And yes, Craig & Anthony. Creepy as fuck - I think ultimately the producers intervened to seperate them, as that very drunken night was very, very awkward. 

up_the_hampipe

BB 5, 6, 7 & 9 were all my favourites. I liked some of the C5 versions too, especially the celeb ones with Kim Woodburn, Tiffany Pollard ("David's dead" is the the single greatest reality TV moment ever, imo) and the series where Lee Ryan from Blue tried to have two women on the go in the house and failed spectacularly.

Replies From View

I think the last time I saw a fragment of Big Brother it was when David Cameron was being replaced with Theresa May; for some reason they allowed this piece of news from the outside to enter the house, and one of the housemates said something like "oh that's good, that's the first time we'll have had a girl as prime minister".  And seemed genuinely surprised that someone called Margaret Thatcher already held that particular crown.

There was a point I realised that Big Brother was either trying to make us laugh at thick twats or side with them, or maybe both at the same time.  Laugh and then feel bad about it and try to see things from a thick person point of view because thick people are nice people in the end.  Like thick people are the underdogs and we should all aim to be a bit more thick and just mindlessly consume rubbish, and then the world would be a better place.

MrMrs

I vividly remember following BB5 and 6 on here. Best series ever.

Loved 3, i think? With Kate. She was gorgeous

Ambient Sheep

My fave from BB5 was Dan, the hairdresser from Hull.  The way he'd sit there and drily comment on the madness going on around him was great.

It's only a little moment, but the bit where Jason was going off on a 'roid rage, and Dan, lying on his bed, lifted his mic to his mouth and quietly sing-song murmured "Psychopath!" is one of my faves from the whole show.  Don't ask me why.

Hundhoon

Quote from: oggyraiding on August 05, 2022, 02:58:24 PMI liked Emily's "middle class white girl trying to be cool" by saying "wow you're really pushing it out n****" to Charley when dancing and then getting evicted for racism. Just looked it up, this was only a few months after the Jade Goody/Shilpa Shetty fiasco. A very racist year for the Big Brother population.

She was not evicted for racism she was evicted because the relationship between endemol and channel 4 collapsed after the Jade Goody hysteria. 99 per cent of people knew she was a silly upper class naive woman who used the word stupidly. Even Charley who she used the word on too rigioursly defended her later on on the series 
The word had been used multiple times in previous series. I'm not defending her or the usage . But this attitude destroyed the show, later on they were constantly walking on eggshells rather than being genuine flawed humans who make mistakes. It had previously been a microcosm of society a geneuine raw reflection. Loads of gammons and other culture strains intermixing who previously never would. 
That's what is should go back too.

Custard

I guess you only really get genuine "reality" television when people are unaware they're being filmed. People are always gonna try to alter their personality or play up to the cameras if they know they're there. So who ever goes in won't be putting forth their absolute true self, unfortunately.

Blimey, imagine the cameras weren't there when Craig went for drunk Antnee. Blearrghh

Can only begin to imagine where that wine bottle would have gone.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: MrMrs on August 07, 2022, 11:36:20 PMI vividly remember following BB5 and 6 on here. Best series ever.

Loved 3, i think? With Kate. She was gorgeous

Ah yes Kate. Lovely Kate. She does outside broadcasts for This Morning now. Apparently. Obviously I don't watch This Morning. Ahem. Allison Hammond was from the same series as Kate of course.

dontpaintyourteeth

Was it Series 4 where they tried to tone it down and put all boring people in? And the only one with any personality (Anouska) got evicted on like, day two? That might have even been the Jon Tickle year...

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on August 08, 2022, 12:45:55 PMWas it Series 4 where they tried to tone it down and put all boring people in? And the only one with any personality (Anouska) got evicted on like, day two? That might have even been the Jon Tickle year...

I don't think they wanted to tone it down, per se. They just cast it badly. But that's what triggered them to ramp it all up and put in "big characters" (or mentally ill people) for future series.

Custard

BB4 was the year that literally nobody got off with each other. They tired to engineer a love story between two of the most boring people, yet it went nowhere

Jon Tickle was a great housemate I think though. Least he was oddly funny and watchable. The others were completely forgettable

Replies From View

Which series had Cameron, the guy from Orkney in it?  I liked his accent.

There was a blind guy one series.  Great moment where he was sitting up to his shoulders in the pool by himself while two of the twatty housemates were silently playing with a football.  Then one of them decided to boot the football at his head, and as it ricocheted off he just sat there in the pool bellowing.

sevendaughters

BB4 was underrated, was the Ever Decreasing Circles to BB5's Jam.

Custard

Quote from: Replies From View on August 08, 2022, 01:43:50 PMWhich series had Cameron, the guy from Orkney in it?  I liked his accent.

There was a blind guy one series.  Great moment where he was sitting up to his shoulders in the pool by himself while two of the twatty housemates were silently playing with a football.  Then one of them decided to boot the football at his head, and as it ricocheted off he just sat there in the pool bellowing.

Or when he ate "the hottest chilli in the world" and nearly died

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Replies From View on August 08, 2022, 01:43:50 PMThere was a blind guy one series.  Great moment where he was sitting up to his shoulders in the pool by himself while two of the twatty housemates were silently playing with a football.  Then one of them decided to boot the football at his head, and as it ricocheted off he just sat there in the pool bellowing.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 03, 2022, 12:14:41 PMhttps://twitter.com/rymoffat/status/1554218257661444097

Ja'moke

They didn't intentionally boot the ball at him. It him accidentally, which makes it much funnier. "That's pish, lads!"

holdover

The blind guy was called Mikey. I once walked past him on Byres Road and felt starstruck.

There was one absolutely minging episode involving brussels sprouts.

Found this on digital spy

" Hell housemates Kat and Mikey resigned themselves to eating a pile of Brussels sprouts in order to earn nomination rights this afternoon.

Nicole helped them with the task, despite not being able to nominate this week.

Mikey began to eat the sprouts and declared: "If I don't eat them then I'll walk out the house tonight."

"The game is on!" Dale shouted. Mikey then started to gather his share of the sprouts and eat them while drinking water.

Stu, Dale and Rex laughed hysterically while watching Mikey, who decided that the best strategy was to chew the vegetables up, spit them into the bucket and make a "sprout drink" out of them.

Darnell commented: "Yeah, that'll make a lovely milkshake there, Mikey."

That sprout bucket still gives me the boke.

Rachel belatedly realising that Darnell was black still makes me laugh.

Replies From View

To be fair, I had never heard of an albino black person before that either.

C_Larence

What's the consensus on Brian Belo?

Utter Shit

Victor is definitely the best housemate ever IMO. He was sort of a prick, but very self-aware and willing to take the piss out of himself. His rage at the cold showers (forced on him by Emma and Michelle in the secret house) was so funny "I'M GOING TO GET ILL EVENTUALLY. I'VE ALREADY GOT THE SNIFFLES".

Tangentially related - I once saw Pete Bennett (the guy who had Tourettes, I think he won his series?) at a comedy night in Brighton, and he was without a shadow of a doubt the worst stand-up I've ever seen. for the full fifteen or twenty minutes he told a rambling, joke-free anecdote about getting harassed by a gay guy who wanted to suck him off. The punchline, if you can call it that, was that he told the guy he didn't want to get sucked off, and the guy walked away.

thr0b

Quote from: C_Larence on August 12, 2022, 11:44:21 AMWhat's the consensus on Brian Belo?

Decent bloke by most accounts. Made a LOT of money once ITV had to admit they'd ripped off The Only Way Is Essex from him. (No, really. He produced a pilot which was so similar to the show that ITV launched, down to featuring some of the same people, it's amazing they thought they'd get away with it.)