Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,327
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:27:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sixth series of Line Of Duty on BBC 21st March

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 27, 2021, 10:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Quote from: mothman on May 02, 2021, 10:35:32 PM
Oh go on then, someone summarise what happened?

A nice doggy appeared.
Can't remember anything else.

BeardFaceMan

Top tip - putting on a trailer for your big new drama right after the ending and stating "from the makers of Line of Duty" is a great way to get people to not watch it.

BlodwynPig

Lesbian cottagecore for coerced bent copper
Bog roll for Buckells
Moody lift for the matey three
100 Grand for photographs of Cold Feet star

BlodwynPig

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on May 02, 2021, 10:38:02 PM
Top tip - putting on a trailer for your big new drama right after the ending and stating "from the makers of Line of Duty" is a great way to get people to not watch it.

Holby City: beginnings?

Custard

To be fair, Mercurio was quite brave to finally do the H/Fourth Man reveal, as there's probably a sizeable portion of the audience who tune in just for that. By wrapping that up it does free the show to move on a bit. I guess this will involve them chasing James Nesbitt and his syrup around the med

Hurrah

Fabian Thomsett

That ending makes sense if you've ever seen Mercurio's medical drama Bodies wherein an incompetent surgeon keeps failing upwards and no-one wants to stop him because management will have them fired if they speak out.

Bodies is better than Line of Duty to be honest.

Custard

If I had written it, and let's face it I should have, I'd have had Motherland as H.

"You don't know how deep this all goes...", sarcastic smile, dies

Custard

Bodies was probably better or at least more realistic as Mercurio was a doctor before he thought he could write TV drama

BeardFaceMan

It seriously feels like someone kicked Mercurio out of the writers room 5 minutes before the last ep of series 5 and didn't let him back in, everything since then has been so fucking bad it feels like it's been written by someone else, like there's no way the person who wrote this shite is responsible for the first few series as well.

mothman

I was out of the country when Bodies was on, and when I returned it was with a pregnant wife who'd had a miscarriage previously, so we were quite nervous. My mum told me that Bodies wasn't something I'd want to be watching right then, so I never did.

chveik

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 02, 2021, 10:21:34 PM
I might be the only person in the UK who enjoyed that. Its low-key bleakness, sense of futility and suppressed rage was absolutely what the country needed to see. Suck it up viewers. We don't deserve escapism in police dramas.

what a load of bollocks. viewers don't deserve terrible tv

mothman

Quote from: chveik on May 02, 2021, 11:11:48 PM

Exactly. Though I haven't seen it obviously, there are ways you can accurately depict in all its sordid glory quite how corrupt this country is in general, and the police are in particular, without how you do so totally sucking.

Custard

We watched the first series again this morning, and I must agree the quality difference compared to this latest series is incredible

It helps that it was a straightforward, simple story about one copper who could possibly be corrupt. It was free of the conspiracy bollocks for the most part, and just told a simple story very well. It helps that Lennie James was excellent in it too

Since then they've just been dragging in this year's guest star and repeating the same story but with loads of other distracting shit thrown on top, complete with more and more nonsensical twists n turns just to surprise the audience

I think series 2-4 were enjoyable enough, but these last two have seen a big dip in quality

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 02, 2021, 10:54:45 PM
To be fair, Mercurio was quite brave to finally do the H/Fourth Man reveal, as there's probably a sizeable portion of the audience who tune in just for that. By wrapping that up it does free the show to move on a bit. I guess this will involve them chasing James Nesbitt and his syrup around the med

Hurrah

Nesbitt is dead. No guarantee of another series. Cop shows that have a season in the med are uniformly terrible.

Custard

Yeah you're right, I just Googled it and had no idea there may not be another series. I think there will be though, as they all seem up for it

mothman

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 02, 2021, 11:16:52 PM
We watched the first series again this morning, and I must agree the quality difference compared to this latest series is incredible

It helps that it was a straightforward, simple story about one copper who could possibly be corrupt. It was free of the conspiracy bollocks for the most part, and just told a simple story very well. It helps that Lennie James was excellent in it too

Since then they've just been dragging in this year's guest star and repeating the same story but with loads of other distracting shit thrown on top, complete with more and more nonsensical twists n turns just to surprise the audience

I think series 2-4 were enjoyable enough, but these last two have seen a big dip in quality

Yeah, the implication there was this big kingpin who looked like Brian Johnson from AC/DC was hastily dispensed with and he was basically killed off offscreen.

HANG ON.

AC-12. AC/DC.

D - 4th letter of the alphabet. C - 3rd letter. 4 x 3 = 12. Suddenly everything is clear!

BlodwynPig

Crabwalk

Quote from: chveik on May 02, 2021, 11:11:48 PM

I didn't say they did. I said it was different to what people wanted and expected, and in a way that I thought was pretty brave. LoD hasn't been much more than enjoyable guff since series 3 and I was glad Mercurio chose to subvert what the show had become in favour of landing a few blows and refocusing on the lead characters' arcs.

The show has long since collapsed under the weight of the 'H' conspiracy anyway and IMO was well past the point where it could be wrapped up satisfactorily from a narrative perspective. At least Mercurio did a decent job thematically.

DrGreggles

Regardless of how the story played out and whether it was what the viewers expected, the dialogue was fucking rotten. Not just tonight, but all series.
I'm sure it wasn't that shit before.

Ja'moke

I binged all of Line of Duty for the first time over the past couple months and caught up in time for Series 6 starting.

The first series was really good, the second with Keeley Hawes was the best, and the third series still pretty enjoyable. I felt like things started to dip into the ridiculous in Series 4, the Thandie Newton series, and it's all been downhill since then, with this series easily been the worst.

I think the overall take away from the series is that it taught people how to spell definitely. Or, at least, how not to spell definitely.

EOLAN

Rewatched recently and echo Ja'Moke sentiments and rating of seasons. Lindsay Denton was a great character and helped two of the best series.
This one seemed very plodding and Kelly McDonald's character was a relatively mundane lead.

Not sure what people were expecting, every Line of Duty finale is a bit duff but at least this had a point to make. Enjoyed it when I twigged Buckles was Boris but this show has always had the same flaws, including its dodgy dialogue, up and down acting, and daft convolutions. Entertaining nonsense but at least it's angry nonsense.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on May 03, 2021, 01:15:50 AM
Not sure what people were expecting, every Line of Duty finale is a bit duff but at least this had a point to make. Enjoyed it when I twigged Buckles was Boris but this show has always had the same flaws, including its dodgy dialogue, up and down acting, and daft convolutions. Entertaining nonsense but at least it's angry nonsense.

I do like the fact that millions of viewers just watched a show on BBC One in which the blatant message was: "People such as Boris Johnson are a corrupt bunch of useless cunts who will never be held to account because the system is geared in their favour."

I just wish old Jed had managed to get that point across while also bothering to write a decent series.

jobotic

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 03, 2021, 01:35:45 AM
I do like the fact that millions of viewers just watched a show on BBC One in which the blatant message was: "People such as Boris Johnson are a corrupt bunch of useless cunts who will never be held to account because the system is geared in their favour."

I just wish old Jed had managed to get that point across while also bothering to write a decent series.

Exactly

Mobius

It's not as good as it was but I still enjoyed that. Would be disappointed if that was the ending but it seems pretty obvious there'll be another series.

Jockice

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 02, 2021, 10:21:34 PM
I might be the only person in the UK who enjoyed that. Its low-key bleakness, sense of futility and suppressed rage was absolutely what the country needed to see. Suck it up viewers. We don't deserve escapism in police dramas.

I thought it was okay. I'm not a LoD obsessive but I can't see why people are so offended. Was H supposed to be old Mr Smithers from the fairground or something? And he'd have got away with it it wasn't for you pesky pigs.

No Offence was a much better police procedural show anyway.

Quote from: Jockice on May 03, 2021, 06:45:02 AM
I thought it was okay. I'm not a LoD obsessive but I can't see why people are so offended. Was H supposed to be old Mr Smithers from the fairground or something? And he'd have got away with it it wasn't for you pesky pigs.

As I said earlier, fair play to Mercurio for subverting those daft Scooby-Doo expectations with a solemn comment on the utter futility of it all.

I disliked the episode because I found it boring and badly written.

Jockice

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 03, 2021, 07:02:39 AM
As I said earlier, fair play to Mercurio for subverting those daft Scooby-Doo expectations with a solemn comment on the utter futility of it all.

I disliked the episode because I found it boring and badly written.

Yeah, fair enough. I'd never seen it at all until a few weeks ago until my girlfriend (who - da da da - has a surname similar to Buckells) started watching it from series one while I was visiting her. Beats us trying to have conversations I suppose. So I'm no expert and haven't even seen all of this series. I just happened to have an early night and thought I might as well watch it before going to sleep.

As I said, I thought it was okay. Nothing more. It was no Mad Men ending. But nothing is.

Nothing will ever top the Mad Men ending, no. It's absolutely perfect. Still makes me laugh.

DrGreggles