Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:09:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

ABBA are good, right?

Started by bgmnts, May 11, 2022, 05:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prelektric

Quote from: Harry Badger on May 13, 2022, 12:29:58 AMSuper Trouper really is superb and hilarious. It popped up in my Youtube list the other week and led me to the NTNON parody which I sent to my obsessively Anglophile Swedish friend, though I am yet to get a response. I might have to goad her with a scan of their interview in the Sunday Times last week.

A&A look totally dead behind the eyes in that video.

Hmm...  new page saying nowt...

I'm wanting to write a big auld bit about ABBA but well, as you can see by the time of this post, maybe not now. I also want to just say that Harry Badger seems like he wants to stir the pot, as it were. He's fine to do that, but I'm not in any way intimidated by him. In other words, "yer havin' a laugh aint 'ya?"

Tony Tony Tony

I recall, as a callow youth, Abba first time around. Amongst my peers liking Abba was a bit like wanking. Loads were doing it but none would admit it in public.

These days it's fine liking Abba, though curiously wanking in public is still frowned upon.

itsfredtitmus

liking abba is like being a member of a group of christian mothers against masturbation

prelektric

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on May 14, 2022, 05:09:09 AMThese days it's fine liking Abba, though curiously wanking in public is still frowned upon.

Ah come on now, why can't we celebrate both?

I didn't get where I am today without liking ABBA and wanking in the local park on a dewy morn.

See, there's no magnificence in people's soul anymore.

Ascent

Quote from: famethrowa on May 13, 2022, 12:57:33 AMAlso greatly amused by the jolly anti-noncery of Does Your Mother Know, imagine it being such an issue that you have to write a hit song about it? Different times.

That song is like the mirror image of Blurred Lines.

Jockice

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on May 14, 2022, 05:09:09 AMI recall, as a callow youth, Abba first time around. Amongst my peers liking Abba was a bit like wanking. Loads were doing it but none would admit it in public.

These days it's fine liking Abba, though curiously wanking in public is still frowned upon.

The only one of my contemporaries who was an open unabashed Abba fan was also very obviously gay even before he reached his teens. It was to him that I made my famous prediction that Summer Night City was crap and spelt the end of their career. Like my later prediction that Embarrassment by Madness was so weak that they'd never have another hit it proved entirely correct.

When I was doing my music writing stuff a few years later I had to ask local 'celebrities' their all-time top ten. When a gay local DJ put Dancing Queen at his number one I started thinking:"Hmm, there may be something in this."

Mind you we're talking about someone here - me - whose pop gaydar is on such a low setting that I was shocked when I discovered that the B-52s (one of the first bands I really got into as a teenager) were almost all not straight. Not for moral reasons or anything, just because the thought had never occurred to me.

prelektric

Quote from: Jockice on May 14, 2022, 05:53:35 PMIt was to him that I made my famous prediction that Summer Night City was crap and spelt the end of their career.

Oooh no. Nah, they went onto much more success after that. Unless I've misunderstood the context.

Quote from: Jockice on May 14, 2022, 05:53:35 PMWhen a gay local DJ put Dancing Queen at his number one I started thinking:"Hmm, there may be something in this."

"Dancing Queen" is a spectacularly well crafted slice of pop. Undisputable. Overplayed and annoying? Yes, but the former facts still stand.

Just not sure of this idea that everyone who loves them is gay.

Yes, I'm gay, but I like tonnes of other genres. I don't identify myself by the music I like. Just like I don't base my entire existence on the fact I'm homosexual.

My first exposure to ABBA was from my Dad's record collection. He's a fan. He allowed me to play those albums on the small turntable he was gifted by a weird bloke who was so overbearing that my Dad had to call the police on him. Happy days, they were. But anyway, I learned an awful lot from those albums, an awful lot about music.

I don't like the sort of criticism of them which amounts to "It's shit". No, it's just not your thing. Nowt wrong with that, but if you have any care for intricate songwriting and production (and as a hobbyist musician myself, I do) - ABBA were on the top of a pile.

I mean, come on - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ90ZqH0PWI

Concentrate on the bass in that, it is sublime. (Ignore the video, cheesy cack.)

Money Money Money was the first proper pop single my parents ever got me.  Prior to that, I'd only had the Spam Song and Lumberjack Song on a double-A-side from Monty Python (yes, there was a 45 single of that) as well as Inbetweenies by the Goodies.

prelektric

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on May 14, 2022, 07:00:06 PMThat Video ting.

Sigh, well someone had to do it. (as much as I'm a fan of theirs - it's incredibly funny though).

prelektric

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 14, 2022, 07:09:07 PMPrior to that, I'd only had the Spam Song and Lumberjack Song on a double-A-side from Monty Python (yes, there was a 45 single of that) as well as Inbetweenies by the Goodies.

Imagine being given the 7" of "Mouldy Old Dough" by Lieutenant Pigeon as a birthday present. As happened to me as a 7 year old. A slab of vinyl my parents already owned, but couldn't afford anything else.

Did like it though. This was 1985.

Jockice

Quote from: prelektric on May 14, 2022, 06:57:37 PMOooh no. Nah, they went onto much more success after that. Unless I've misunderstood the context.

"Dancing Queen" is a spectacularly well crafted slice of pop. Undisputable. Overplayed and annoying? Yes, but the former facts still stand.

Just not sure of this idea that everyone who loves them is gay.

Yes, I'm gay, but I like tonnes of other genres. I don't identify myself by the music I like. Just like I don't base my entire existence on the fact I'm homosexual.

My first exposure to ABBA was from my Dad's record collection. He's a fan. He allowed me to play those albums on the small turntable he was gifted by a weird bloke who was so overbearing that my Dad had to call the police on him. Happy days, they were. But anyway, I learned an awful lot from those albums, an awful lot about music.

I don't like the sort of criticism of them which amounts to "It's shit". No, it's just not your thing. Nowt wrong with that, but if you have any care for intricate songwriting and production (and as a hobbyist musician myself, I do) - ABBA were on the top of a pile.

I mean, come on - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ90ZqH0PWI

Concentrate on the bass in that, it is sublime. (Ignore the video, cheesy cack.)

The context is that I'm crap at pop predictions yet I somehow ended up becoming a (admittedly minor league) music journalist.

As for the gay thing, loads of people throughout my life have assumed that I am because I'm not remotely macho. I'm not though and I think it wasn't until this guy mentioned Dancing Queen that I thought 'I've heard him describe himself as a queen. Maybe that's why he likes this song so much"

A bit slow on the uptake maybe but I was a kid in the 70s when a lot of pop was very camp and the sexuality of the artists and fans was genuinely something that didn't occur to me. Mind you, I don't really get camp either. I've been told I'm camp quite a few times too. Can't see it myself. A bit fey and softly-spoken perhaps but certainly not a 'look at me everybody' type. The complete opposite actually.

prelektric

Quote from: Jockice on May 14, 2022, 07:30:55 PMThe complete opposite actually.

Well, I'm the complete opposite of the stereotype of a gay man as well, to the point where other gay men have tried to tell me that I'm not gay. Imagine that! The response, in my head, is that I kick them in the bollocks and run away. The reality is there is an awful lot of camp gay guys, and an awful lot of camp straight guys. Why anyone is remotely interested in any of this remains a mystery to me. Things have got better, slowly, hope it doesn't reverse. As for your situation, there's more work to do there, but I stand by you brother.

Jockice

Quote from: prelektric on May 14, 2022, 07:44:35 PMWell, I'm the complete opposite of the stereotype of a gay man as well, to the point where other gay men have tried to tell me that I'm not gay. Imagine that! The response, in my head, is that I kick them in the bollocks and run away. The reality is there is an awful lot of camp gay guys, and an awful lot of camp straight guys. Why anyone is remotely interested in any of this remains a mystery to me. Things have got better, slowly, hope it doesn't reverse. As for your situation, there's more work to do there, but I stand by you brother.

Cheers! Solidarity.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: prelektric on May 14, 2022, 07:18:50 PMSigh, well someone had to do it. (as much as I'm a fan of theirs - it's incredibly funny though).

Can just shock you? (I like ABBA).

Sorry had to be done.

prelektric

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on May 14, 2022, 07:48:19 PMCan just shock you? (I like ABBA).

Hehe, good lad.

Quote from: TrenterPercenterSorry had to be done

You ought to be sorry. Naughty boy.

Jockice

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 14, 2022, 07:09:07 PM
Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 14, 2022, 07:09:07 PMMoney Money Money was the first proper pop single my parents ever got me.  Prior to that, I'd only had the Spam Song and Lumberjack Song on a double-A-side from Monty Python (yes, there was a 45 single of that) as well as Inbetweenies by the Goodies.

Abba's best single if you ask me. Which you didn't. Not as good as Mouldy Old Dough though.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Kankurette on May 12, 2022, 11:43:34 AMRing Ring is a banger.Give Ace of Base 10 years. Are the '90s still trendy?
definitely! no awful oompah ommpah piano either

itsfredtitmus

arabesque, ace of base, aqua > abba

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: bgmnts on May 12, 2022, 09:28:57 AMThe founder of Ace of Bass was a neo-Nazi so they might struggle to find retrospective affection nowadays.

I'm glad people think Dancing Queen is naff, I can't stand it.
yeah but ABBA IS STINKERER- i love ace of base, abba are ughh, it's almost TOO obvious! i'll listen to supertramp thank yew if i want that oompah music hall piano, but 'tramp are off the menu and that's coming from a jellyfish fan

DrGreggles

Quote from: prelektric on May 14, 2022, 06:57:37 PMI mean, come on - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ90ZqH0PWI

Concentrate on the bass in that, it is sublime.

Incredible song, just so much to love in there.
Yet probably wouldn't make my top ten.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: prelektric on May 14, 2022, 07:24:02 PMImagine being given the 7" of "Mouldy Old Dough" by Lieutenant Pigeon as a birthday present. As happened to me as a 7 year old. A slab of vinyl my parents already owned, but couldn't afford anything else.

Did like it though. This was 1985.

Drifting off topic I suppose but Mouldy Old Dough's B-Side "The Villain" is totally ace

prelektric

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on May 14, 2022, 08:38:21 PMoompah music hall

Howay man, you don't know ABBA at all if that's all you can say!

Love Ace of Base BTW, don't care if one of them is a Nazi.

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on May 15, 2022, 12:45:31 PMDrifting off topic I suppose but Mouldy Old Dough's B-Side "The Villain" is totally ace

Good lord yes, it is, I'm sure I mentioned it elsewhere but aye, almost upstages the A side...

prelektric

Quote from: Jockice on May 14, 2022, 07:30:55 PMA bit slow on the uptake maybe but I was a kid in the 70s when a lot of pop was very camp and the sexuality of the artists and fans was genuinely something that didn't occur to me. Mind you, I don't really get camp either. I've been told I'm camp quite a few times too. Can't see it myself. A bit fey and softly-spoken perhaps but certainly not a 'look at me everybody' type. The complete opposite actually.
[/sup]

And that, my friend, is why you shouldn't listen to other people's opinion when it comes to your entire identity. You are you, you've been through enough to not have that shit in your life. Just as I have to a degree. If others are that judgemental, they really are not worth knowing.

Back to the topic, I genuinely think "The Visitors" is their finest album. Fight me.

Kankurette

Not Christian, not a mother and I do jerk off but otherwise, yes.

jobotic

Like An Angel Passing Through My Room is such a great song that even Madonna's cover of it is good.

prelektric

Quote from: jobotic on May 21, 2022, 09:49:55 AMLike An Angel Passing Through My Room is such a great song that even Madonna's cover of it is good.

She would wouldn't she? She spends her entire career being a cuckoo in the nest. Madonna had her moments, not denying that, but usually riding the coat tails of someone better than her, especially behind the scenes.

prelektric

I am behind you, I always find you
I am the tiger
People who fear me never come near me
I am the tiger

Cancelled!

Great tune though

TheMonk

The setlist for this Abbatar show is out.
Nice to see them all together there.
Spoiler alert
SPOILER: Click to hide

1 THE VISITORS
2 HOLE IN YOUR SOUL
3 SOS
4 KNOWING ME, KNOWING YOU
5 CHIQUITITA
6 FERNANDO
7 MAMMA MIA
8 DOES YOUR MOTHER KNOW?
9 EAGLE
10 LAY ALL YOUR LOVE ON ME
11 SUMMER NIGHT CITY
12 VOULEZ-VOUS
13 WHEN ALL IS SAID AND DONE
14 GIMME GIMME GIMME
15 THANK YOU FOR THE MUSIC
16 DON'T SHUT ME DOWN
17 I STILL HAVE FAITH IN YOU
18 WATERLOO
19 DANCING QUEEN
20 THE WINNER TAKES IT ALL
[close]

The omission of
Spoiler alert
Take A Chance On Me
[close]
for some of those lesser known songs is obtuse. And
Spoiler alert
Super Trouper
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
On & On & On
[close]
to a lesser extent.
From what I read
Spoiler alert
Eagle
[close]
complete with animated film was the toilet break song. They have one of the most absolute bulletproof greatest hits collections in music history, I just don't see why they'd omit a few of them for lesser tunes. Surely a greatest hits show is what the people want? Although I am fine with
Spoiler alert
The Visitors
[close]
as the opener. Bloody cracker that.
But to leave out
Spoiler alert
Take A Chance On Me
[close]
? An absolute undisputed classic. Bizarre.

Anyway it looks good but it worries me that pop culture is eating itself. It seems a bit unnatural. Those audiences should really be seeing new music. Anyway, what do I know. If I was there I'd probably have a ball.

daf

Quote from: TheMonk on May 27, 2022, 12:27:06 AMThe omission of
Spoiler alert
Take A Chance On Me
[close]
for some of those lesser known songs is obtuse.

Pretty sure I heard that they've prepared a few more songs than just the ones for the opening night - probably holding a solid gold banger or two back for future shows, so the set doesn't become stale.