Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:08:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars presents: The Middle-Aged Obi-Wan Kenobi Chronicles

Started by Bad Ambassador, May 26, 2022, 02:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Ambassador

First two episodes drop tomorrow, then one each Wednesday until 22 June.

Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christiansen are back, Rupert Friend plays the villain. Director Deborh Chow's done a bunch of genre TV but nothing that especially sticks out. The showrunner's not done much either, but recurring writers include Stuart "Collateral" Beattie, Hossein "Drive" Amini and Andrew "John Carter" Stanton.

Will it be another Mandalorian, beating expectations with strong writing and an unusual tone, or another Book of Boba Fett, an unfocused jumble that ignore its main character after the halfway mark?

Malcy

Was just about to post in the old thread!

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=93167.0

Seems like they changed the release date as well. Good that we're getting 2 episodes. Wonder what the length of these will be.

bgmnts

Honestly I think McGregor is a great younger Kenobi and he will do a good job with this.

Plus, Darth Vader has already been ruined so i dont think Hayden Christenson's portrayal will be as egregious.

Ant Farm Keyboard

It's salvaged from what could have been the third "Star Wars Story" movie, as it already was in development when Solo flopped.

I'm a little curious about Hayden Christensen's involvement. As soon as Vader has an helmet, I can only imagine him being voiced by James Earl Jones, while I don't think it makes a huge difference onscreen if the guy in the armour is Christensen or a random stuntman.

Goldentony

i'm thinking strong beginning, no talk during the middle then way off the shitty rails headfirst at the end

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Malcy on May 26, 2022, 02:40:50 PMWas just about to post in the old thread!

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=93167.0

Seems like they changed the release date as well. Good that we're getting 2 episodes. Wonder what the length of these will be.

56 and 42 minutes.

Fishfinger

First impression of ep 1: woeful. Has a cheap feel and the dialogue and acting are prequel levels of flat and clunky. Think they put all their effort and expense into The Mandalorian and it's somewhat baffling. Surely this should be the show to stick the landing.

Malcy

Thought they were great. Really enjoyed it. Wishing I had the rest as I would just binge the lot for the day!

Spoiler alert
Young Leia is a standout.
[close]

Dr Rock

sovietrussia

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on May 27, 2022, 12:10:37 AMIt's salvaged from what could have been the third "Star Wars Story" movie, as it already was in development when Solo flopped.

I'm a little curious about Hayden Christensen's involvement. As soon as Vader has an helmet, I can only imagine him being voiced by James Earl Jones, while I don't think it makes a huge difference onscreen if the guy in the armour is Christensen or a random stuntman.

Can only imagine it means Vader will be appearing sans helmet to a greater or lesser degree, in his helmet-off-pod, barking orders to underlings.  Otherwise, as you say not really worth Hayden turning up (except for the massive payday, obvs).

Small Man Big Horse

I thought this was okay, though it looked like Obi-Wan should be put on the sex offenders register for spying on Luke in such a creepy manner, and I've never been impressed with McGregor's impression of Alec Guiness either, it seemed a bit better here than in the prequels but it still doesn't really work for me. Otherwise it was fun enough, the female villain's fairly decent, and precocious young Leia was amusing, so I'll probably stick with it for the time being.

elliszeroed

It was okay,but what's the point. Is there a story here? He finds out Anakin is alive and is Vader... and... A cameo from Yoda?

stonkers

The point is really just for Ewan McGregor to have another go around, plus some other prequel actors. Which I don't mean as a criticism, I well up for it, but nobody would care about an Obi Wan show starring Chris Pratt or whoever. Equally if you're not interested in Ewan Kenobi it might not do much for you.

Lord Mandrake

I was distracted by Obi Wans hiking socks and was that a Safdie brother?

Malcy

I reckon

Spoiler alert
There will be Qui-Gon, Windu and Yoda cameos.

It was interesting to see that Obi-Wan was so removed from galactic life that he didn't know Vader was in charge.

What gets me is that there seems to be more Jedi's and Sith around now than there was at any time of the films.  I get there is the rich stories of the non film stuff but meh.

Can't help but think that have missed a trick by not having a Young Leia series. That kid will go far.

Loved it though. I thought it tense and intriguing and it held my attention throughout. A rare thing these days.
[close]

Think I'm glad it's a limited one and done series. Trek cold learn from it.

Talking of that. That little brand thing they did for previous series is here too. It's so unnecessary and even Trek is doing it now.

WE DONT CARE, JUST GIVE US THE STORY/EPISODE.

stonkers

Spoiler alert
As much as the Rule of Two is pretty stupid, I'm not a huge fan of having a load of dark side force goons around who aren't technically Sith. You'd have thought these guys would have shown up to fight the rebels at some point. But it's part of the Disney Star Wars lore so here we are.
[close]

prelektric

I loved those two episodes. If you can't find something to love anywhere there, I don't know what to say. There were at least four occasions where I had proper goosebumps, and earned ones at that.

Ewan knocked this out of the park - he's wonderful as Obi Wan, there was always potential. But now here, he has the chance to genuinely to do something with it. And he does.

Love it, can't wait for more.

EDIT:
Spoiler alert
The moment where it was revealed to Obi Wan that, after 10 years, Anakin Skywalker/Vader is still alive was utterly chilling. It's an aspect of that most of us forget - he left him there on the shores of Mustafar burning and assumed him to be dead.

Plus - random FLEA appearance! You've got to love that right?
[close]

idunnosomename

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 27, 2022, 07:20:33 PMI thought this was okay, though it looked like Obi-Wan should be put on the sex offenders register for spying on Luke in such a creepy manner

Obi-Wank enobi

They should have made him look a bit older and greying in this series. Can't picture him being the Alec Guinness Obi Wan in just eight years.

bgmnts

Quote from: curiousoranges on May 27, 2022, 10:57:19 PMThey should have made him look a bit older and greying in this series. Can't picture him being the Alec Guinness Obi Wan in just eight years.

Spice addiction.

willbo

Quote from: prelektric on May 27, 2022, 09:57:42 PMEDIT:
Spoiler alert
The moment where it was revealed to Obi Wan that, after 10 years, Anakin Skywalker/Vader is still alive was utterly chilling. It's an aspect of that most of us forget - he left him there on the shores of Mustafar burning and assumed him to be dead.

Plus - random FLEA appearance! You've got to love that right?
[close]

I don't forget it, but that has been shown multiple times in the different books/comics now, so I wasn't expecting to see it in this

prelektric

Don't care about comics/books/novelisations. Never have done with Star Wars. The only novelisation I've ever read was the one for Return of the Jedi. Nice, but totally unnecessary.

Nowt wrong with bringing that up though, but not for me. So, when something like that moment as described within that spoiler tab happens, and it is executed well, I'm going to love it.

Spoiler alert
You didn't mention Flea though. Flea.
[close]

prelektric

Quote from: curiousoranges on May 27, 2022, 10:57:19 PMThey should have made him look a bit older and greying in this series. Can't picture him being the Alec Guinness Obi Wan in just eight years.

You spend that amount of time living in an arid, desert environment, and we'll see how your face and hair copes.

Mate of mine went from platinum blonde, to grey in 5 years. To be fair though, his face remains gorgeous. Swings and roundabouts, innit.

jimbojambo

Quote from: prelektric on May 27, 2022, 11:34:33 PMYou spend that amount of time living in an arid, desert environment, and we'll see how your face and hair copes.

Mate of mine went from platinum blonde, to grey in 5 years. To be fair though, his face remains gorgeous. Swings and roundabouts, innit.

Two suns as well innit. He should be layering on the SPF 50.

Blofelds Cat

Spoiler alert
So...they've Darth Mauled the Chief Inquisitor before we got to see his full potential...the focus of the baddy seems to be on his Deputy but she comes across as badly acted and boring
[close]

bakabaka

Quote from: Blofelds Cat on May 28, 2022, 10:18:37 AM
Spoiler alert
So...they've Darth Mauled the Chief Inquisitor before we got to see his full potential...the focus of the baddy seems to be on his Deputy but she comes across as badly acted and boring
[close]
But the Deputy does seem to know stuff that no-one else does, somehow.
Spoiler alert
I've only watched the first epiode, but there doesn't seem to be an explanation for why she thinks that O.B.Wanker will come to save a random young princess from a planet that he has no connection to. It looks like she knows who Leia is, but then if so, why does she not just grab her herself and take her to Vader for much kudos and reward?
[close]

bgmnts

Baby Leia is cheeky and adventurous.

McGregor's voice is a bit off.

The evil sith woman is dooooogshiiiiiit.

Spoiler alert
Immediately thought that the five escaped Jedi kids during the temple purge would be full grown jedi and that the shit evil Sith lady was one. But then they killed the main baddy before he even did anything so who cares
[close]

Disney really have blown it with Star Wars havent they?

Dex Sawash

I love sister act 3. Nailed on turning to the light side after she kills some more babies.

willbo

Quote from: prelektric on May 27, 2022, 11:29:12 PMDon't care about comics/books/novelisations. Never have done with Star Wars. The only novelisation I've ever read was the one for Return of the Jedi. Nice, but totally unnecessary.

Nowt wrong with bringing that up though, but not for me. So, when something like that moment as described within that spoiler tab happens, and it is executed well, I'm going to love it.

Spoiler alert
You didn't mention Flea though. Flea.
[close]

oh I'm sure it was great (not seen it yet). I just thought Disney was so big into "canon" now that they expect you to read the comic as well

edit - are you sure this is Obi finding out for the first time? And not just looking anguished at something he already knew? In the books he saw him on the news in a cantina

edit 2 - it was a pre canon book

grainger