Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:15:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Steve Harley comes up and sees St Peter

Started by ajsmith2, March 17, 2024, 11:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dontpaintyourteeth

My main memory of this guy is the time he got a bad review in Q magazine so he wrote them a poem that included the line "why did you give it to the prejudiced Steve Lowe? Why did he castigate so?"

His version of Here Comes the Sun knocks the Beatles' into a cocked hat.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

dontpaintyourteeth

To be fair the first two Cockney Rebel albums are quite good. I would have never actually listened to them if it wasn't for the Simon Reynolds book about Glam. Maybe now he's (Steve Harley, I mean, as far as I know Mr Reynolds is alive and well, unless he went in the night and they haven't told us yet) gone people will rediscover them.

am I the only one who always confuses them with Cockney Rejects

Oh fuck no! I was *just* listening to Make Me Smile :(((

sevendaughters

Kankurette

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on March 17, 2024, 11:59:50 AMMy main memory of this guy is the time he got a bad review in Q magazine so he wrote them a poem that included the line "why did you give it to the prejudiced Steve Lowe? Why did he castigate so?"
Same. 'How low?'

Chicory

Just how bad did your record have to be to get a bad review from Q Magazine?  RIP Softmints Guy.

Keebleman

I've always thought of him as a sort of Terence Trent D'Arby of the 70s, in that he seemed to be a guy who had everything necessary for a long career at the very top but let it slip away.

Captain Z

Quote from: extraordinary walnuts on March 17, 2024, 12:02:35 PMOh fuck no! I was *just* listening to Make Me Smile :(((

Could you try putting on a Ladbaby track?

Norton Canes

Quote from: Captain Z on March 17, 2024, 03:28:31 PMCould you try putting on a Ladbaby track?
The Ladbaby phenomenon had somehow completely passed me by but I will say that reading the Wikipedia page just now made me want to end my own life

Funcrusher

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on March 17, 2024, 12:02:30 PMam I the only one who always confuses them with Cockney Rejects

Not a mistake you'd want to make when attending a live performance - I imagine they attract distinctly different audiences...

Sebastian Cobb

I don't know him beyond Come Up and See Me, but it's just an incredible banger.

Sorry if this has already been said; I'm half cut and haven't bothered reading the thread.

lazyhour

I keep meaning to check out his (pre-Sensational Band) late 60s stuff which is ridiculously rare and expensive and is in a more R'n'B/ blue-eyed soul style, as I understand it. Can anyone recommend any early nuggets?

pupshaw

Quote from: lazyhour on March 17, 2024, 10:13:55 PMI keep meaning to check out his (pre-Sensational Band) late 60s stuff which is ridiculously rare and expensive and is in a more R'n'B/ blue-eyed soul style, as I understand it. Can anyone recommend any early nuggets?

Are you talking about the Sensational Steve Harley Band?

Mr Banlon

lazyhour

Quote from: pupshaw on March 18, 2024, 01:06:08 AMAre you talking about the Sensational Steve Harley Band?

Aw fuck, I've gone mental.

Senior Baiano

Norton Canes

gilbertharding

Cockney Rebel (it's a band, it's not just Steve Harley!) for me are the specific band a guy who ends up teaching history at a comprehensive school in the early 80s liked when he was at college. That's it, it's what they are.

gilbertharding

Quote from: extraordinary walnuts on March 17, 2024, 12:02:35 PMOh fuck no! I was *just* listening to Make Me Smile :(((

We were in the car listening to 6 Music when it was announced as the first and also the last item on the hourly news bulletin. And right after the news they went straight into playing The Human Menagerie Make Me Smile (Come up and See Me)

SteveDave

I used to really love "Mr Soft" until I heard "Velvet Goldmine" and realised Steve just ripped off Dave's chorus.

Head Gardener

Going through some 7" earlier I came across one which was perhaps not his finest 45 but I remembered he did kindly sign the sleeve for me.