Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:37:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee on tour

Started by spaghetamine, January 17, 2023, 02:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seepage

Going end of Feb. Most comedians 'off the telly' just raise a wry smile at most, but I laughed out loud at Tornado/Snowflake so looking forward to it.

New page long scary walk home afterwards

bgmnts

Aye feel shit about it but just not well enough to go anywhere anymore. I've already seen him though once though so not too arsed.

bgmnts

Throwing caution to the wind.

If anyone is there and you see and hear a pink skinned walrus with an irritating laugh, coughing his guts up for 2 and a half hours, thats bgmnts from cab.

bgmnts

First half done. Feels like a greatest hits with a running commentary on the b side of the cd. Enjoying it.

Pranet

Ah cool I'm glad you could be arsed in the end.

bgmnts

My cough and laugh must have pissed the guy next to me off no end because during intermission his missus told me he was well into comedy and even did the circuit, yet he barely laughed. I was howling like a banshee.

That last few minutes was extraordinary, it sadly had me convlusing and almost vomming in my mouth. There was a woman down below who was howling like a siamang gibbon during the breaks in laughter and it spurned me on more.

Most of it was old stuff he was doing and referencing but it worked perfectly.
Spoiler alert
Definitely a Glinner reference in there as well during the radicalised mumsnet Rowling Galbraith bit right?
[close]

He has to be one of the greats doesn't he?

PS the fleabag bit was great as well.

sutin

I was there too! It were great.

Twilkes

Quote from: bgmnts on January 24, 2023, 10:11:17 PMMy cough and laugh must have pissed the guy next to me off no end because during intermission his missus told me he was well into comedy and even did the circuit, yet he barely laughed.

???

Harry Badger

I went tonight.

This was the first time I've seen Stew live for about 15 years and in fact it was only cos I happened upon this thread that I realised he was in Cardiff tonight (and tomorrow, for any of Cardiff 'whores). I'm too fucked to give a proper review but I enjoyed it very much, it was vintage Stew.

I felt very sorry for my friend who came with me (and who had never even heard of Stewart Lee) but she did break into proper hacking laughter at his
Spoiler alert
observations on why his fans's girlfriends hate coming to see him because he is the same sort of annoying cunt as the boyfriend
[close]

Two other things -

1 - I was sitting on the front row - is he really short or was it just the outsize jacket?

2 -
Spoiler alert
the questionaire he read out over the imaginary jazz music was the basic one they give you to see if you are on the autistic spectrum. I would never have guessed that, but so much about his persona makes perfect sense now
[close]

Pretty sure I saw Jordan Brookes there as I was leaving too

bgmnts

Quote from: Harry Badger on January 25, 2023, 01:35:53 AMI went tonight.

This was the first time I've seen Stew live for about 15 years and in fact it was only cos I happened upon this thread that I realised he was in Cardiff tonight (and tomorrow, for any of Cardiff 'whores). I'm too fucked to give a proper review but I enjoyed it very much, it was vintage Stew.

I felt very sorry for my friend who came with me (and who had never even heard of Stewart Lee) but she did break into proper hacking laughter at his
Spoiler alert
observations on why his fans's girlfriends hate coming to see him because he is the same sort of annoying cunt as the boyfriend
[close]

Two other things -

1 - I was sitting on the front row - is he really short or was it just the outsize jacket?

2 -
Spoiler alert
the questionaire he read out over the imaginary jazz music was the basic one they give you to see if you are on the autistic spectrum. I would never have guessed that, but so much about his persona makes perfect sense now
[close]

Pretty sure I saw Jordan Brookes there as I was leaving too

Were you the bald guy with glasses?

Cold Meat Platter

Interview with Stew here:

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/23284548.top-comedian-stewart-lee-comes-oxford-playhouse-week-gigs/

Again singling out Gervais among other comedians he talks about onstage:

"Most of the comedians whose acts I talk about, I would imagine, can see that I have watched, and arguably even enjoyed, what they do. The only stand-up I have mentioned in the last few years on stage who I feel really is not very good at the art form on any level is Ricky Gervais.

I expect on some level he knows that and is ashamed of the extent to which he has been able to pull the wool over people's eyes. It is a tragic situation really."

SweetPomPom

I know what you're thinking,
Spoiler alert
Burt Bacharach's looking well
[close]

He was on really good form this week. Not his strongest show ever but  relaxed and obviously enjoying himself.
Good to see him change up a lot of how he's interacting with the crowd too, he was almost human.

Kankurette

Quote from: Vroomo on January 17, 2023, 02:32:29 PMLiverpool Philharmonic in early Feb - the last time I saw him at the Philharmonic was early Feb 2020 & my last night out before the world shut down.  I do hope that isn't the case again.
I was there with my brother and parents. Of the four of us who went, only one of us was bald (not me). Laughed like a drain, especially at the Fleabag bit. And the joke about the ancient circus performers.

tdurbo

I'm going tonight in Buxton and wondering how much Lineker stuff he fits in, if any. Never seen him live before so I'm looking forward to it.

tdurbo

Quote from: tdurbo on March 11, 2023, 11:20:48 AMI'm going tonight in Buxton and wondering how much Lineker stuff he fits in, if any. Never seen him live before so I'm looking forward to it.

Genuinely seemed to enjoy himself throughout. Some of it almost seemed a bit 'greatest hits' and he bollocked himself for wandering off script a bit and [I don't know how to use spoilers sorry, so that's all I can say] I enjoyed that bit a lot. Which he seemed to enjoy too. (And is no doubt word for word the same every night).

Was weird because of it being in Buxton, due to the amount of snow, the front three rows were empty in the first half, but filled up for the second half, after he mentioned it just before the interval. He was on a good 20 mins longer than expected as well. Not sure many were waiting behind afterwards, again due to the panic at seeing how much more it'd snowed.

Don't know how to add pics, but a beautiful venue that felt intimate.

For a first-timer, with someone I wasn't sure would enjoy it, we both left happy.

The jacket makes him a remarkable shape.

NattyDread

Decided to haul my arse over to Inverness for this tonight. Bit of a trek, but it's him after all. Not spotting any obvious cabbers. Guaranteed to meet a few neighbours from 80 miles away.

monkfromhavana

When I saw the show in Cov the other week I got the added bonus of seeing Stewart trudging around the city centre looking fat and miserable resplendent in his long coat and Compo-style hat.

MigraineBoy

When I saw him last month he mimed taking a telephone call and it went something along the lines of "I know I haven't been on it ... yeah, I know it's really good ... they have ... they asked me first actually."

Based on Richard & Bridget appearing I'm sure that's Taskmaster.

Dr Rock

Dr Rock

Is the memory of Nelson Mandela dying in prison mainly localized to the North American region? And not for example South Africa?

Twilkes

Had front row seats for Glasgow on Thursday night. 100 feet up in the air, but still front row.

I thought the fleabag bit was a bit disingenuous because the stuff he was talking about had been used in other more recent shows anyway, and didn't seem to be the big thing that got fleabag accolades. And maybe the audience response wasn't quite right for the J. K. Rowling bits, but he seem to be pushing it more than the response dictated.

Interesting that he divulged some money numbers, so he would get paid about 115K for producing things like snowflake tornado for the BBC and he would take home maybe 12-13K of that, and music rights for a single piece of music would cost him 6K. So basically he's in the wrong industry, if he'd recorded some attractive incidental music he would be loaded by now without having to do any work at all. :)

It was good, but I struggle with comedians in large venues. This was 1700 seats and it's obviously a very different experience to seeing him in his The Stand/Gaping Anus phase, or at XS Malarkey in 2007 for two quid.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Dr Rock on March 14, 2023, 09:48:51 AMIs the memory of Nelson Mandela dying in prison mainly localized to the North American region? And not for example South Africa?

I may have posted this in the wrong thread.

Twilkes

Quote from: Dr Rock on March 18, 2023, 11:50:06 AMI may have posted this in the wrong thread.

Comin' over 'ere...

Ray Travez

Quote from: Dr Rock on March 18, 2023, 11:50:06 AMI may have posted this in the wrong thread.

It's my recollection that Nelson Mandela was killed by sharks falling from the sky across the Eastern seaboard.

Magnum Valentino

Anyone else listened to Stew's appearance on Kathy Burke's podcast? It's good!

non capisco

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on March 18, 2023, 11:29:33 PMAnyone else listened to Stew's appearance on Kathy Burke's podcast? It's good!

Yes! Loved his "Napoleon's grave" story.

prit

Someone mentioned a Daniel Kitson / Sean Lock bit online, but when I saw him do basic Lee that wasn't in there?

Love the jazz and Fleabag bits, but feel like I missed something!

Jerzy Bondov

I have a shockingly poor memory but it was part of the Fleabag bit, where he claims
Spoiler alert
he was the first comedian to face the audience, and before that they all just faced the back of the stage and mumbled their bits. He tried it out and then backstage he got a talking to from Lock, Kitson and Barry Cryer.
[close]
It was funny, sorry you missed it.

I saw him in Plymouth a couple of weeks ago. After the interval he told off someone called Tony Goodman for making this tweet:

He said that's not his policy, he asks the theatre to show latercomers in quietly, but that he was glad Tony Goodman wasn't allowed in. Anyway there's Stewart Lee, famously not on social media, doing a namesearch on Twitter during the interval. WE SEE YOU LEE. (big fan)