Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,802
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:53:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Can't stand 'em

Started by kalowski, December 15, 2020, 10:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDanketies

Quote from: pigamus on December 18, 2020, 08:24:18 PM
Adele

She used to do my head in back in 2012 when she was on the office radio all the time. Now I rarely hear her, I can appreciate her talent.

sutin

I don't really know who Adele is. I know she's a singer but I know none of her music and I couldn't pick her out of a line up.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on December 18, 2020, 05:31:36 PM
I'm with Phil_A on that. But this thread is worthless anyway.

It is entirely worthless, iconoclastic DSMO fistula dribblings, and like Ballad says, a thread that comes around again and again on CaB. I'm disgusted at myself to be allowed to be drawn in. Again.

McChesney Duntz

Certain early Pavement songs ("Debris Slide," "Box Elder," "Conduit for Sale!") are just fine. Anything past the Slanted album is pretty much utter tosh. But it can get worse - take it from a man who had to witness Stephen Malkmus' attempts at laptop electronica.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 18, 2020, 08:34:18 PM
It is entirely worthless, iconoclastic DSMO fistula dribblings, and like Ballad says, a thread that comes around again and again on CaB. I'm disgusted at myself to be allowed to be drawn in. Again.

That I feel compelled to continue on has me tasting the same flavor of self-loathing as you. Sigh.

JaDanketies

Quote from: sutin on December 18, 2020, 08:32:47 PM
I couldn't pick her out of a line up.

Nobody could nowadays! She lost a tonne of weight and is unrecognisable. it's not like Tina Malone where they have the same face, it's kinda like Adele got abducted by the illuminati and they chose any old random person to take her place.

pigamus

Quote from: JaDanketies on December 18, 2020, 08:29:11 PM
She used to do my head in back in 2012 when she was on the office radio all the time. Now I rarely hear her, I can appreciate her talent.

You appreciate her by not listening to her?

I think I can get on board with this methodology

flotemysost

Quote from: JaDanketies on December 18, 2020, 08:41:27 PM

It is a pretty astounding change - I assume she must have had some sort of Botox or hairline lift or something too as the angle of her brows is completely different. I remember thinking she had really naturally nice features when she first got famous, back when she just wore kind of casual outfits, before some stylist decided her "thing" would be cod-Sixties frocks and solid sprayed hair - because I suppose anyone who doesn't fit the decreed beauty standard must have some sort of quirky schtick to hide behind.

Anyway.

Quote from: Phil_A on December 16, 2020, 10:42:02 PM
I hate the fuckin' Libertines, man. I hate the fact their bargain basement Steve Lamacq indie shite is feted as the soundtrack of a generation. I loathe the whole middle class lad slumming it as bohemian druggie poet shtick, and I hate the fact that loathsome grubby-fingernailed little scrote Doherty literally got away with murder.

Agreed. It seems lots of people of around my age love them and hero-worshipped Doherty, which always gets a bit awkward when it comes to those "bonding over bands you loved as a teenager" conversations as I can't hide my dislike of them/him.

Remember seeing an interview in the Guardian or Observer which described him as "a beautiful, mumbling child", fucking cringing still just thinking about it.

Lungpuddle

I get why a lot of my friends liked the Libertines, but I'm glad they all can't stand 'em now.

pigamus

The thing to me with Adele - she's got a very powerful voice, obviously, but she sounds like she could be reading the paper while she sings. I know it's supposed to be very emotional stuff but to me it's all tics and mannerisms and foghorning - if there's real soul there I don't hear it.

buttgammon

Quote from: flotemysost on December 18, 2020, 09:44:30 PM
Agreed. It seems lots of people of around my age love them and hero-worshipped Doherty, which always gets a bit awkward when it comes to those "bonding over bands you loved as a teenager" conversations as I can't hide my dislike of them/him.

Remember seeing an interview in the Guardian or Observer which described him as "a beautiful, mumbling child", fucking cringing still just thinking about it.

I was perhaps a tiny bit too young to have hit the peak of the hero worship thankfully, but I know exactly what you mean. Just before the first lockdown, I went to the closing down party of a bar; it must have been a bit of a hangout for those types at one point, because the place was full of men in their thirties who had clearly modelled themselves on Doherty or - just as bad - Ian Brown. It made my skin crawl, and has now permanently soured my memory of a place I liked by forcing me to view it through Carling-tinted glasses.

QDRPHNC

I can't stand the second wave of grunge, that period when there were no more Pearl Jams, Nirvanas or Soundgardens to sign, but the horrors of rap-rock and nu-metal hadn't yet been inflicted on us.

I'm thinking of bands like Seven Mary Three, P.O.D., the Goo Goo Dolls, Silverchair, 3 Days Grace, Puddle of Mudd, Staind. I mean, they all sounded the same - shiny, nothingy studio production and Earnest White Man Type C singing the words. The only bands of that era that are still talked about like Creed and Nickelback, are only talked about because they're comically bad.

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on December 18, 2020, 10:39:27 PM
I'm thinking of bands like Seven Mary Three, P.O.D., the Goo Goo Dolls, Silverchair, 3 Days Grace, Puddle of Mudd, Staind. I mean, they all sounded the same - shiny, nothingy studio production and Earnest White Man Type C singing the words. The only bands of that era that are still talked about like Creed and Nickelback, are only talked about because they're comically bad.

Any excuse to post this Fabergé Dog Egg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GTiibb34Pwo

JaDanketies

Ferris

Quote from: JaDanketies on December 18, 2020, 11:28:08 PM
ahahaha, that would make anyone smile

I forget who posted it originally (Nags? Capisco? Wegger?) but god it made me laugh the first time I saw it, and I live to give.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 18, 2020, 11:22:03 PM
Any excuse to post this Fabergé Dog Egg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GTiibb34Pwo

If I was Puddle of Mudd, the last thing I'd do is invite the comparison with Nirvana. I wonder if Puddle of Mudd singer man has convinced himself he and Cobain were peers.

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on December 18, 2020, 11:38:41 PM
If I was Puddle of Mudd, the last thing I'd do is invite the comparison with Nirvana. I wonder if Puddle of Mudd singer man has convinced himself he and Cobain were peers.

No idea but judging from that video, Puddle of Mudd bongo man knows exactly where he is on the grunge totem pole.

JaDanketies

Fred Durst actually discovered Puddle of Mudd. As well as other nu-grunge supremo Staind.

QDRPHNC

Shit, someone in the YT comments made a kidney stone joke.

Scammin

I can't find strong enough words to describe my negative feelings towards Snow Patrol. I must be the only person in the north of Ireland who doesn't enjoy their particular brand of musical drudgery.

There's one of their songs in particular that pisses me off. I don't know what it's called but the way the singer (if you can call him a singer) sings the word 'here' makes me want to rip my ears off.

Sin Agog

I used to get compared to the Puddle of Mudd singer all the time when I had really long hair.  I was a soul guy at the time so it never elicited more than a nonchalant 'huh' from me.

There are now two threads that make me pathologically burst into song every single time I see them.  Fuckdown, USA always makes be adapt Hitsville, USA by The Clash, and now this one makes me break out into Charlie Feathers.

Lungpuddle

Quote from: Scammin on December 18, 2020, 11:45:22 PM
I can't find strong enough words to describe my negative feelings towards Snow Patrol. I must be the only person in the north of Ireland who doesn't enjoy their particular brand of musical drudgery.

There's one of their songs in particular that pisses me off. I don't know what it's called but the way the singer (if you can call him a singer) sings the word 'here' makes me want to rip my ears off.

Was it their only song, Chasing Cars?

Scammin

Quote from: Lungpuddle on December 18, 2020, 11:48:39 PM
Was it their only song, Chasing Cars?

I've been told it's called Run.

I've got Spina Bifida but if I hear even a few few seconds of Snow Patrol, I'll run like Billyo.

sutin

What about early Snow Patrol such as Starfighter Pilot?

pigamus

It's the lay/lie thing that does my head in

Scammin

Quote from: sutin on December 19, 2020, 12:38:16 AM
What about early Snow Patrol such as Starfighter Pilot?

I don't think I've heard that one. I'll listen to it thrice and report back with an honest assessment.

buttgammon

Quote from: Scammin on December 18, 2020, 11:45:22 PM

The sense of goodwill for a band that's from your area is enough to make most people like them but it turns me off. To be fair, nobody really big has come from my neck of the woods but some Welsh people seem to feel it's their duty to like the Stereophonics for patriotic reasons, whereas I just hate them harder for it. They're especially awful, Billy Joel levels of pointlessness. I can't stand the Manic Street Preachers either, thinking about it.

Icehaven

lankyguy95

Quote from: QDRPHNC on December 18, 2020, 10:39:27 PM
I can't stand the second wave of grunge, that period when there were no more Pearl Jams, Nirvanas or Soundgardens to sign, but the horrors of rap-rock and nu-metal hadn't yet been inflicted on us.

I don't know on what planet P.O.D. and Silverchair sound the same, or how they can be categorised together outside of 'rock bands that were formed in the 90s'. Also Silverchair were great. Listen to Emotion Sickness and then tell me they have the same worth as a band like Puddle Of Mudd.

lazarou

Quote from: JaDanketies on December 18, 2020, 11:41:00 PM
Fred Durst actually discovered Puddle of Mudd.
A pointless detail my brain has somehow held onto is that in their early days Fred Durst would go around hyping them up as "my Nirvana band" to anyone that would listen, including to Courtney Love at some shindig they were at.