Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:04:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

All-encompassing supersongs

Started by Utter Shit, January 28, 2006, 12:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

Was just discussing this with a mate, thought I'd make it here.

Can anyone think of any songs that 'everyone' likes? The type of song where you don't know anyone who dislikes it.

Tracy Chapman - Fast Car

No?

Cheeky Monkey

Unfinished Sympathy by Massive Attack

Anyone who doesn't like this song gets no muffins at my house.

and I reckon...

Smells Like Teen Spirit
Teenage Kicks

Shoulders?-Stomach!

gazzyk1ns

I'd look at someone a bit strangely if they asserted that Waterloo Sunset was a bad song.

dan dirty ape

(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher - Jackie Wilson
If you don't like that you're a git.

I think you could probably fit a fair few soul songs in this category. 'Superstition' by Stevie Wonder is surely a record that no-one can fail to like.

I have to say I'm not that bothered by anything Tracy Chapman's ever sung. I don't dislike it, it's just there.

Darrell

ELO - Mr Blue Sky
Queen - Don't Stop Me Now
Chris Jarvis - Glasses

Utter Shit

That Jackie Wilson song is bang on. Everyone likes that.

mayer

Including the Statue of Liberty and toasters.

Pepotamo1985

[obvious]

The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony

A song that everyone seems to have on their iPod, and chaps/chapettes from all walks of taste love. Even people who say they hate this dirge admit that it's a great song.

[/obvious]

Cheeky Monkey

I Heard It Through The Grapevine
Billie Jean
Louie Louie

They're all pretty untouchable.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Green Onions - not a song as such, but I don't know anyone who doesn't love it.

TOCMFIC

Quote from: "Utter Shit"Was just discussing this with a mate, thought I'd make it here.

Can anyone think of any songs that 'everyone' likes? The type of song where you don't know anyone who dislikes it.

Tracy Chapman - Fast Car

No?

I FUCKING HATE THAT SONG! Not just saying that, I do loathe it. Will turn the station if it comes on the radio.

And my wife hates "Bittersweet Symphony".

I think probably the biggest one listed here is Blue Monday. I can honestly believe that everyone likes that.

Utter Shit

Quote from: "Cheeky Monkey"I Heard It Through The Grapevine
Billie Jean
Louie Louie

They're all pretty untouchable.
Billie Jean came up in my discussion, but personally I don't like. You know how you can really like a song that's just come out, but through overkill on the radio you end up not liking it until it goes away - then a few months later you can revisit it and like it again? With Billie Jean, that overkill has spanned a number of decades, and you can never escape it long enough to start liking it again. Which is a shame because it's clearly a great song. I'm the same with Thriller, just can't listen to it. My favourite Jacko songs are all slightly less well-known - Man In The Mirror, Will You Be There?, Remember The Time etc.

TOCMFIC, I am actually stunned. Gobsmacked. I was convinced that everyone ever liked that song. Even people who've never heard it are able to hum the "I-e-i, got a feeling that I belong..." bit!

Utter Shit

Also, I'm not really arsed with Bittersweet Symphony. The video's better than the song.

lazyhour

Bittersweet Symphony isn't even a song.  It's just a short orchestral riff from an old Rolling Stones track, repeated endlessly while some arrogant fool sneers tunelessly over it.  Very unpleasant listening to these ears.

falafel

You could have just said it was shite, lazyhour. That would have pretty much hit the spot. SHITE. UNBEARABLE SHITE.

Hypnotoad.

Don't you forget about me - Simple Minds

fanny splendid

Quote from: "lazyhour"Bittersweet Symphony isn't even a song.  It's just a short orchestral riff from an old Rolling Stones track, repeated endlessly while some arrogant fool sneers tunelessly over it.  Very unpleasant listening to these ears.

I completely agree, as I do with those who don't like Fast Car or Billie Jean.

Edit: Or indeed that Simple Minds song

boki

You know, when I saw the first post in the thread, I was all prepared to go into prickly bugger mode and wince at the choices that were to follow, 'cos I can be a miserable sod like that sometimes (it probably doesn't help that I just listened to a little bit of Henry Rollins stand-up, which often persuades me that pure, bile-spitting fury is a fine and positive thing), but I found myself agreeing with everything except 'Mr Blue Sky', which just lays it on way too thick to be truly likable for me (but this is Jeff I-chucked-two-kitchen-sinks-in-just-to-be-sure Lynne we're talking about here).

'Fast Car's alright, just overplayed.  I don't dislike it and won't switch over if it comes on the radio, but I don't particularly mind if I never hear it again either.

Leila

Stardust - Music sounds better with you

Everyone likes this, right?

Utter Shit

I love it, but my girlfriend despises it.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

R.E.M. - Everybody Hurts. Surely everybodys done a bit of moping to that song. Well most young, white males anyway.

House of Pain - Jump Around. Dumb but fun.

Utter Shit

I was going to mention Everybody Hurts, but  there are times when I can't stomach how depressing it sounds, especially for what is lyrically an uplifting song.

Jump Around is a definite one, excellence.

In terms of specific genres, I don't know any clubbers who don't love Faithless' Insomnia, Prodigy's Outta Space and Baby D's Let Me Be Your Fantasy, but I don't know that that extends to people in general.

Half of Bob Marley's stuff is loved by all, surely?

23 Daves

Well I can start by saying that I loathe "Fast Car", "Don't Stop Me Now" and "Jump Around", which obviously makes me sound like a contrary git.  My wife hates "Fast Car" as well.  No idea why that one was the first example, it brings forth a great flurry of tuts in the Daves household if it comes on the radio.

I would however, nominate Junior Senior's "Move Your Feet" were it not for the fact that I have one friend who despises it.

Black Box's "Ride On Time" always seems to get people rather too excited at parties.

And you'd have to be a right miserable fuck to dislike The Beatles "All You Need Is Love".

This is actually proving harder than I thought.... erm... Pulp's "Common People"?

Oh, and I'd agree, Prodigy's "Outta Space" is a safe bet.  Always.  Then again, it's superb.

Utter Shit

Hate Common People. Hate Pulp, to be honest.

Is Ride On Time that dance song from the early 90s?

23 Daves

Quote from: "Utter Shit"Hate Common People. Hate Pulp, to be honest.

Is Ride On Time that dance song from the early 90s?

Well, there's always one.

Ride On Time was a massive, massive club and chart hit from 1989.  It was the biggest selling single of that year, utterly inescapable at the time.  Two Italian blokes being fronted by a black supermodel, do you remember?

Utter Shit

That'll be the one I'm thinking of, backing singers singing "gotta get up gotta get up"?

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien