Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:34:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

All-encompassing supersongs

Started by Utter Shit, January 28, 2006, 12:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Another non-vote for Bittersweet Symphony. The po-faced 90s in a nutshell. Reminds me of being depressed in a pensions office.

Does anybody not like Strawberry Fields Forever?

gazzyk1ns

My dad doesn't, in its properly released form, something about Spector's needless additions. He's a massive Beatles fan though so you can put that down to... you know. His dislike is obviously only because he's heard previous versions.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Parklife?

Oliver's Army?

Cool for Cats?

Anarchy in the UK?

Wannabe?

1999?

Uptown Top Ranking?

How Soon is Now??

hulahoops

Parklife and Wannabe both kind of make me want to rip my ears off, though the latter is okay for ridiculous singing along at 3 am when you're very, very drunk.  But that doesn't count as actually liking it.

hoverdonkey

Quote from: "Utter Shit"Hate Common People. Hate Pulp, to be honest.

Incorrect

Catalogue Trousers

QuoteProdigy's "Outta Space" is a safe bet. Always. Then again, it's superb.

Well, i's not, Tony. It's crap. Those awful vocals - half-crap reggae, half-sub-Pinky & Perky squealy inanities - and a decidedly average riff make it forgettable at best.

Tunes that are undeniably great:

Where's Captain Kirk? - Spizz Energi
Night Boat To Cairo - Madness
Shiny Happy People - R.E.M.
Roam - The B-52s
Get Off My Cloud - The Rolling Stones
True Faith - New Order
Blockheads - Ian Dury & The Blockheads
A Hard Day's Night - The Beatles
Stereotypes - Blur
Turning Japanese - The Vapors
The Devil Went Down To Georgia - The Charlie Daniels Band
Hold On Tight - ELO
Hounds Of Love - Kate Bush

To name but a few. I'd be pretty lairy of anyone who really expressed a genuine dislike for any of that lot.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: "Catalogue Trousers"[

Oh no, I don't like that one much. I'm kind of a fan of R.E.M. and I just can't stand it. Now if you'd said Nightswimming...

Catalogue Trousers

Fair enough, sir! I just like it as a rebuff to the po-faced duffness of Losing My Religion or Everybody Hurts. Perhaps (obvious as it is) It's The End Of  The World As We Know It open brackets And I Feel Fine close brackets oodle-oodle-ooooooh 'ow's about that then guys 'n' gals would have been a better choice. Something for everyone there - doom prophecies, wilfully obscure lyrics, and the fastest, most upbeat riff that I've heard in a good while...

surreal

Quote from: "Al Tha Funkee Homosapien"
Quote from: "Catalogue Trousers"[

Oh no, I don't like that one much. I'm kind of a fan of R.E.M. and I just can't stand it. Now if you'd said Nightswimming...

Hate that song with a passion - always reminds me of Denis Leary stand-up

QuoteShiny Happy People - hey, hey, hey, pull that bus over to the side of the pretensiousness turnpike.  I want the Shiny People over here and the Happy People over here - I represent Angry Gun-Toting Meat-Eating fucking People!

23 Daves

Quote from: "Neil"Agreed about Bittersweet Symphony, I'm afraid.  Dreadful dirge, not what I wanted or expected from The Verve at all.  Couldn't stand any of those Urban Hymns singles.

Another non-vote from me for this one.  I nearly mentioned in the "Ever found anything exciting?" thread in General Discussion that I found a copy of The Verve's "Urban Hymns" in the gutter by Vauxhall tube station last week, but I didn't bother on the basis that it wasn't exciting, and therefore didn't qualify.  Quite honestly, a slightly soiled box of Q Tips would have been more invigorating.

I would, however, like to nominate Frankie Goes To Hollywood's "Relax".

And The Rolling Stones "I Can't Get No Satisfaction".

Bogey

Quote from: "Brutus Beefcake"
Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Fairytale of New York

There's some cunt on here who doesn't like it, but his opinion is clearly
It was Suttonpubcrawl, and I don't think he ever explained his wrongness.
That documentary about it that was on over christmas was wonderful!

It's probably against the law to hate Teenage Kicks, which I know someone's already mentioned.

Bogey

Quote from: "23 Daves"Another non-vote from me for this one.  I nearly mentioned in the "Ever found anything exciting?" thread in General Discussion that I found a copy of The Verve's "Urban Hymns" in the gutter by Vauxhall tube station last week
One for the Bleakness thread there, I think.
Though emphatically not in the way you might wistfully want Mr. Ashcroft: it's not a metaphor for social alienation, it's because your record is gutterworthy.

Nuts 'n Gum

Person I work with at Record Shop dislikes Bittersweet Symphony and the 'bland indie' genre the album created.
As for supersongs:

Jackson 5- I Want You Back?

The Beatles-any one of their earlier singles really, example: A Hard Day's Night.

The Rolling Stones-Satisfaction (oops, someone's beaten me to it)

Fairytale of New York irks me, probably because I think it's over-rated. I do enjoy it sometimes though.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"My dad doesn't, in its properly released form, something about Spector's needless additions. He's a massive Beatles fan though so you can put that down to... you know. His dislike is obviously only because he's heard previous versions.

I've never heard a Spector version of "Strawberry Fields Forever".  I thought he only produced the "Let It Be" album when George Martin wan't available for some reason.

LadyDay

Teenage Kicks. I only realised this last night at a party when everybody in the village got up to dance and went mental and my 6 year old niece did a fantastic air guitar in the middle. The only person who didn't get up was my littlest niece but she's only 2 months old.

Sovereign

I was gonna say Bob Marley, but he's already got a mention here somewhere. Then I remember that Lee Scratch Perry and a lot of people who know much more abour Jamaican music than me don't like him either, so I dunno if he counts.

How about Reach out and I'll be there by The Four Tops? And c'mon EVERYBODY loves Definitely Maybe by Oasis, don't they?

Catalogue Trousers

QuoteI represent Angry Gun-Toting Meat-Eating fucking People!

Says the now non-smoking vegetarian teetotaler. And?

Anyway, what's pretentious about "Shiny Happy People"? Inane I could understand. Lightweight as well. But pretentious? Nah.

For the record, I love Leary's stand-up.

23 Daves

Quote from: "Bogey"
Quote from: "23 Daves"Another non-vote from me for this one.  I nearly mentioned in the "Ever found anything exciting?" thread in General Discussion that I found a copy of The Verve's "Urban Hymns" in the gutter by Vauxhall tube station last week
One for the Bleakness thread there, I think.
Though emphatically not in the way you might wistfully want Mr. Ashcroft: it's not a metaphor for social alienation, it's because your record is gutterworthy.

Yes, it's so easy to see what happened there, I think.  Someone kept playing the bloody CD until their fellow passenger hurled it out of the car window.  I sympathise.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Are we putting some sort of age limit on this? It's easy enough to come up with songs that people between say 18 to 40 would love (egHit Me With Your Rythym Stick and Rapper's Delight) but it's harder if you factor in people who think music ended with Cole Porter and the like.

sanchopanza

Dont like tracy chapman.  That song is murder, reminds me of student primary school teachers.

how about:

Diana Ross:  You cant hurry love.

The Who:  Substitute.

Elvis:  Burnin Love.

Darrell

Madness - Our House?

I've never known anyone who didn't love Senses Working Overtime by XTC. Although I recall at least one person on here isn't a big fan.

How about Birdhouse In Your Soul?

It's amusing - for something which is celebrating universally popular music, the combined contents of this thread would make the least exciting compilation album ever.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "Sovereign"
How about Reach out and I'll be there by The Four Tops? And c'mon EVERYBODY loves Definitely Maybe by Oasis, don't they?

Yes to Reach Out, although it does make me feel very melancholic.

No to Definitely Maybe - never seen the appeal at all. It's like The Rutles without the gags.

What about That's Entertainment by The Jam? Even people who despise Paul Weller (ie, lots of people) love that song.

Pseudopath

Quote from: "23 Daves"Ride On Time was a massive, massive club and chart hit from 1989
Yeah, but it knocked Jive Bunny off the top spot, which in my 11-year-old mind made it the WORST SONG EVER. The hatred's never gone away.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Nothing Compares 2  U - Sinead O'Connor.

LadyDay

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Nothing Compares 2  U - Sinead O'Connor.

Really? I loathe that song. Not as much as I hate the video for it though.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "Darrell"Madness - Our House?

Everything by Madness surely?

The NME didn't like Birdhouse In Your Soul: 'The kind of thing enjoyed by nasal-voiced nerds who try to be different when everyone else is into Carter.' All hatred for the NME is entirely justified based on that quote alone.

23 Daves

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"
Quote from: "Darrell"Madness - Our House?

Everything by Madness surely?

I'd like to say you're correct, but sadly many of my friends - and indeed my other half - hate Madness with a passion.  No, I don't know quite why, but apparently Suggs' vocal stylings and jerky mannerisms have a lot to do with it.

They've barely put a foot wrong in my view, and their later material such as "One Better Day" should be compulsory listening.

Neil

It's the nasal voice that puts me off They Might Be Giants, can't find any pleasure in listening to them because of that.  I like the songs Morris has played on his shows, particularly that one about putting a prosthetic fore-head on your real head.  When I got some of their records though, gah, I just couldn't face them.  It's always been the same with Half Man Half Biscuit too I'm afraid.  I can sit through ridiculous avant-garde stuff with no probs, but a certain type of singing voice kills me.  I think Kevin Barnes from Of Montreal is just shy of annoying the piss out of me.  Which is lucky, as I bloody love Of Montreal.  I should probably have another bash at HMHB and TMBG at some point, and I'm sure I will.

session9

"Dancing On The Ceiling" by Lionel Richie.

Hypnotoad.

Sitting on the dock of the bay - Otis Redding
God only knows - Beach Boys
Walk on by - Dionne Warick (Bacharach)
Talking Heads - Once in a lifetime
Bowie - China girl
Joy Division - Love will tear us apart (no doubt posted already)
The Who - Baba O'Reilly