Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:10:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

of Montreal

Started by Marvin, February 14, 2007, 01:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marvin

Anybody else going to the ULU gig?

Duckula

Quote from: Marvin on November 25, 2007, 02:52:19 AM
Anybody else going to the ULU gig?

I am. Looking forward to hearing some new stuff maybe since they're recording the new LP just now. Black Kids supporting should be a treat as well.

poloniusmonk

I will also be there. Not been to ULU before. What's it like for gig-watching?

Marvin

ULU's a good venue actually, decent size and much better PA than the place they played last time. I seem to remember drinks aren't toooo bad for London as well.

poloniusmonk

Well, that was splendid. Black Kids were really good as well, I thought - a lot of fun, anyway. Expect to see them on festival stages next summer...

Duckula

Black Kids were fantastic, crowd looked like they couldn't care less.

Marvin

Black Kids were... good, but they're hardly original and I can see myself tiring of them pretty quickly to be honest. Good show though.

Of Montreal were really great, a good setlist, lots of Sunlandic Twins songs which made me happy, and The Past is a Grotesque Animal worked suprisingly well as an opener. Nice to finish on My British Tour Diary as well.

CaledonianGonzo

New oM track up for free d/l at Pitchfork:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/download/48232-of-montreal-jimmy-mia-parvati-khan-cover

http://downloads.pitchforkmedia.com/Of%20Montreal%20-%20Jimmy.mp3

Quote from: PitchforkM.I.A.'s Kala jam "Jimmy" is heavily based on Parvati Khan's "Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Aaja", from the 1982 movie Disco Dancer. Where M.I.A. made that song the foundation for a fast and furious example of her pan-global pop, Of Montreal now take the track even further from its subcontinental origins, refashioning "Jimmy" in electro-glam disco-pop drapery.

falafel

actwithoutwords

Thanks for that CG.
I have got sucked into Hissing Fauna in a major way in the last month, it's just fabulous. Slowly getting into the earlier stuff as well. No Conclusion is great. And to think, it's been sitting on my computer almost unplayed for 2 years. What a waste.
I'm gutted that I may well have missed an opportunity to see them touring Hissing Fauna. Got into them just a month too late. Their presence on the Pitchfork rather than EITS ATP line up is the only major downside of the festival.

Mindbear

Fantastic! I didn't even know they were doing anything at all right now, great news about a new record, although matching up to Hissing Fauna is going to be a tough job.

Marvin

Quote from: Mindbear on January 26, 2008, 03:51:14 AM
Fantastic! I didn't even know they were doing anything at all right now, great news about a new record, although matching up to Hissing Fauna is going to be a tough job.

I dunno, they're constantly progressing but Hissing Fauna's certainly no better than Satanic Panic/Sunlandic Twins, they've had an exceptional hit rate throughout their career despite a huge change in sound so I'd be suprised if they don't match up to it.

Nice cover version anyway!

actwithoutwords

Has anyone been listening to the new song Feminine Effects?
It appears to have been floating around for a month now, but I had no idea there was a proper version available. It's absolutely lovely, and here.

Completely different to what I was expecting from the new stuff, really quite tender.

"Bobby baby, you make me so blurry inside."

Marvin

It's definitely a grower that track.

They're doing some festival dates in England:

9 Aug 2008 -   Field Day Festival, London
10 Aug 2008 -   Summer Sundae Weekender, Leicester

and they've also announced they will be touring Europe fully in October, most dates not announced but tickets are now on sale for:

16 Oct 2008 - Koko, London

Duckula

Hope they do a Scottish date this time round.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Duckula on May 25, 2008, 04:41:07 PM
Hope they do a Scottish date this time round.

+1.  In 2007, they seemed determined not to venture north of the border.

Vitalstatistix

Info re new album, entitled Skeletal Lamping.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/142095-of-montreal-reveal-cover-tracklist-tour-new-member

Don't know what to make of that artwork. It's certainly... something..

alan nagsworth

That's not an album cover, it's an advert poster for Glastonbury!

Anon

Wow, that's one of the most gloriously preposterous album covers I've ever seen...if it was slightly less tacky it'd be horrific, but as it is it actually works in a rather stange and horrible way.  Looking at that tracklist though, it seems like the 30 second-1 minute song fragment structure that Barnes had suggested the album may use has fallen by the wayside.  Well, that or this is his grindcore album anyway.

Actually, please let this be the Of Montreal grindcore album.

Mindbear

It's about as horrific as the artwork for the Islands album, and the XX (Xerox) Teens album, both of which disturb and irritate me greatly. Prog album art!

I can't seem to get hold of that track, I want it!

alan nagsworth

I hope they haven't opted for short-and-sweet Sink The Seine-style tunes on this album. Whenever I listen to Cato As A Pun or A Sentence Of Sorts In Kongsvinger, I want them to go on forever!

Vitalstatistix

Scratch that!

THIS is the new artwork.

(It's a bit better..)

PaulTMA

alan nagsworth

It's leaked apparently. *pulls hair out searching in vain*

CaledonianGonzo

Duckula

Hmm, not sure what to make of it. I think it'll sound better in the context of the album.

Marvin

Ooh.... I've listened 3 times, I do really like it, it'll be a real grower I think, it's got a Sunlandic Twins 'Party's Crashing Us' vibe which I like, it's very disco, which I'm sure there'll be a lot of on this album, what with his Georgie Fruit persona being used. It's great to hear some new upbeat of Montreal material.

Having said that, I came across this 1 minute sample of Women's Studies from a podcast, and it's a very different direction:

http://rapidshare.com/files/134440006/women_s_studies_frag.mp3.html

but I like it a lot.

Here's the artwork for the single incidentally:

I'm going to see of Montreal next Saturday, really hoping for plenty of new material.

Quote from: nagsworth on July 26, 2008, 05:41:40 PM
It's leaked apparently. *pulls hair out searching in vain*

It hasn't, so don't try and download any of the torrents, they're all dodgy files and shit.

alan nagsworth

Aye I figured as much.

Id Engager is awesome! Especially the outro, the last 25 seconds are great. Women's Studies sounds pretty good too, it seems they've gone quite experimental again. Hissing Fauna was, weird song structures and unconventionally beautiful vocal harmonies aside, quite straight-forward as far as their glam side is concerned, but this envisions what Satanic Panic would be if it were in the disco-pop vein to me. I am really digging it! God I'm stoked about Skeletal Lamping now, I really can't wait for it.

Duckula

The album has appeared in various places to rent. Impressions soon.

Marvin

Quote from: Duckula on August 22, 2008, 06:40:13 PM
The album has appeared in various places to rent. Impressions soon.

Ooh, I have it and it's actually real! I will report back on first impressions soon too.